daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:36 AM   #141
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

So along with the Gautrain project, will this be all of Jo'burg's public transport?

Jo'burg seems to be changing very quickly. It's impressive to see how much money is being injected into infrastructure in the lead up to the WC.

Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #142
EduardSA

Likes (Received): 698

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi View Post
Friend that works for 1 of the international firms involved in the project took these

EduardSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #143
EduardSA

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM   #144
EduardSA

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #145
EduardSA

Tunnel Progress- 30 November

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:54 AM   #146
EduardSA

There will be:

1) Gautrain
2) Rea Vaya
3) Metrorail
4) Metrobus
5) Mini-taxis
4) Cabs

And there are also talks of other forms, such as a monorail, but there is nothing else planned and approved for now.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #147
WeimieLvr
Love me, love my dog...

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
It amazes me that any city would develop without a subway. Subways and light rail are indictations of the intellegence of the region.
It could be an indication of the economic times...or the era in which the majority of the city developed...or a slow, difficult political process with lots of red tape...or multiple governments sabatoging each other's funding...etc. There are several factors that can and have affected construction of new subways AS WELL AS extending existing ones. The intelligence of citizens may or may not come into play.
WeimieLvr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #148
Tagnuzlsx

Likes (Received): 1

I'll be more impressed when a real sub-saharan African country builds it's first metro.

I wonder which country will be the first. I'd imagine it would be in Lagos or Nairobi.
Tagnuzlsx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #149
EduardSA

What do you mean? South Africa is a real sub-saharan african country lol. At least geographically..
Old January 30th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #150
Augusto

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagnuzlsx View Post
I'll be more impressed when a real sub-saharan African country builds it's first metro.

I wonder which country will be the first. I'd imagine it would be in Lagos or Nairobi.
Not really a metro but Abidjan is on a good way to get a light rail network:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=486725&page=4
Augusto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM   #151
Max Headway
Thought-criminal

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
According to the website the minimum frequency will be 6 trains per hour to Pretoria from Park Station which is good.
That's the bare minimum for rapid transit - especially in terms of the amount of time transferring passengers are willing to wait between services.
Max Headway está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:50 PM   #152
EduardSA

'African blessing' as Gautrain makes sleek debut

PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA Feb 03 2009 17:50

Around 150 guests including government and media set off from Midrand on Tuesday on the first trip aboard the rapid-moving Gautrain, whose arrival could transform the transport industry.

Leaving the depot in Midrand, photographers clambered to take pictures of the immaculately clean gold and blue train which silently set off in the direction of Pretoria with barely a rumble as it reached 80km per hour.

Bordering the train tracks construction workers and emergency personnel also reached for their cellphones to take photographs of the historic trip.

Seated on the blue-covered chairs in the carriages were members of the Gauteng government, Bombela concession executives and a large contingent of media.

Earlier as the rain pelted down and the thunder echoed over the depot, Gauteng premier Paul Mashatile said it was a welcome blessing.

"It's raining again so it means we are truly blessed," he said referring to the good omens granted over rainy African weddings.

Speaking before the train embarked on its repeat 3km trip, Mashatile said the project would radically transform the transport industry.

The event, marking the ceremonial home-coming of the first completed train set to its operational home in Midrand, was lauded as a groundbreaking milestone.

"Our golden train is now finally where it belongs. And although Gautrain's physical home is here in Gauteng, her real home is in the heart and minds of all South Africans."

The first completed four-car train set, which was assembled in the United Kingdom, was handed over to Gautrain's political committee at the Derby plant in July 2008.

The first shipment of two completed rail cars arrived in December last year and was then transported to Gauteng.

"Gautrain is the birth of a new legacy in public transport and what we will see here today is the realisation of this legacy," Mashatile said.

As they disembarked from the train, guests marvelled at the silent trip and expressed passion about the train and what it would bring to the transport industry.

The interior noise was attributed to layer-dampening which reduced vibrations as well as the streamlined shape to lower wind noise.

The nose of the train apparently was a point of much discussion as it was designed not only for practical reasons but also, as Gautrain Management Agency CEO Jack van der Merwe glowingly commented: "It gives the perception of speed."

"We knew this train had to be perceived as fast. This is really an African beauty I think we can be proud of," he said.

Gauteng minister for local government Qedani Mahlangu -- a member of the political committee -- also took to the podium, saying the committee had given input throughout the project.

Local minister for transport Ignatius Jacobs also lauded the first Gautrain trip as a victory, saying it was a "dream on wheels".

Referring briefly to the ongoing Gauteng bus-subsidy legal wrangle, he said he hoped the judge who was involved in the matter was proud of the positive milestone that had been reached.

"I'm sure this judge will be very proud of the train we are unveiling today."

The Gautrain rail fleet will comprise 96 rail cars operated initially in four-car train sets. Fifteen of the rail cars, including 10 customised cars destined for the airport service, are being manufactured in the United Kingdom and will be shipped to South Africa over the next four months.

The remaining 81 will be completed and assembled in South Africa.

The route between Sandton and OR Tambo airport is expected to be completed in mid-2010, just in time for the Fifa Soccer World Cup. -- Sapa

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #153
sarbaze tabarestan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 64

i dont count south africa into the african club!they are more european in terms of infrastructure and elites running the country!
south africa is a advanced country!i would love to see these things in kongo,ruanda,etc!but nice work anyways
sarbaze tabarestan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #154
dwdwone
Subway Dave

Likes (Received): 39

This appears to be more like an underground commuter rail line, like the ones in Sydney and Melbourne, than a true metro. Or am I mistaken?
dwdwone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #155
X38

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarbaze tabarestan View Post
south africa is a advanced country!i would love to see these things in kongo,ruanda,etc!but nice work anyways
I prefer they should feed their people and protect them before spilling millions on subways that nobody uses...
X38 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #156
Yappofloyd

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdwone View Post
This appears to be more like an underground commuter rail line, like the ones in Sydney and Melbourne, than a true metro. Or am I mistaken?
Not a metro but seemingly a mix of suburban/intercity/airport style lines. A good project it seems and great to see more mass transit being built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
I prefer they should feed their people and protect them before spilling millions on subways that nobody uses...
One of the ways to feed and protect the poor is to give them jobs and create economic stimulus so hopefully some of that is achieved with this project. And mass public transport usually benefits those with less economic mobility though I do note that the project seems primarily to serve middle class areas.

Willl nobody really use this? Seems it could be very important in the future as the corridor grows.

Last edited by Yappofloyd; February 6th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.
Yappofloyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #157
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
So South Africa shouldn't dare spend any money on creating jobs, improving infrastructure, creating better transport for people to go to work and back etc. etc.?

What a stupid comment.

Quote:
i dont count south africa into the african club!they are more european in terms of infrastructure and elites running the country!

Do you have a tic tac for a brain? It's South Africa. Try telling the millions of black people living in SA that they're not actually African and see how far you get.
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #158
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Headway View Post
That's the bare minimum for rapid transit - especially in terms of the amount of time transferring passengers are willing to wait between services.
Consider that this is actually an intercity line (Pretoria and Jo'berg are separate cities) then a 10 minute frequency is very good indeed. Remind me how frequently the Gold Coast line operates, or perhaps the QR lines within Brisbane operate (30 minute off-peak frequency if I remember correctly).

Despite the title of this thread, it isn't a metro system, but a partially underground commuter/intercity hybrid with an airport link. An impressive project though I think I said before I'll reserve judgement until operation to see how successful it is in relieving congestion between Jo'berg and Pretoria.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #159
EduardSA

Well for now it does seem more of a hybrid between a metro (subway) and a suburban/intercity line. However, there are long term plans to expand the Gautrain. And as the rapid gentrification gains in downtown Joburg and becomes more residential as well as commercial (thus regaining its former status), it is inevitable that the underground system will expand as well, creating a subway in its own right. Subway and BRT are the future for Joburg.
Old February 8th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #160
mike7743

Likes (Received): 973

Quote:
where do people like you get their brains from? so according to you anything that's been done in the past decade or so doesn't count huh? what a tard.
mike7743 no está en línea   Reply With Quote