daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture

Photography, Heritage and Architecture Participate in the FPC, the weekly Filipino Photo Contest

View Poll Results: ..
.. 0 0%
.. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #7001
Wonderboy
a.k.a Escolta Kid

Likes (Received): 2

I found out about the demolition of the Molo house more than a week ago through a friend who's based in Iloilo. I told him to help out the best way he can on my behalf to save the house since I do not have the means to go there. He tried his best. I heard that they talked to a lawyer who happens to be related to the owner of the old house but again, money was involved. Here in the Philippines, the sad reality is that money is much more important than preserving one's history and identity. It's all about the money. Pera pera lang 'yan. Halos lahat naman ngayon pera lang ang katapat. The hell with ideals, principles, and dignity.

I'd like to thank, JV Perez of Iloilo for his efforts. I'm sure you're reading this post even as a lurker on SSC. Man, you did your best but it wasn't good enough. Hehe. Kidding.

---

Bernard, the thing is, you really cannot rely on HCS anymore. What are they gonna do? It's no longer a lobby group when Bambi Harper left the group in 2000. Since then, the group focused on heritage awareness. Now it's all lecture, heritage workshop, and a bit of lobbying but not really aggressive.

One thing I realized after four years of being in the realm of heritage advocacy is to rely on oneself. You really cannot seek help from other people especially HCS. You will only end up getting frustrated and receive comments like "ay, sayang naman." Lecheng "sayang" 'yan. Wala namang magagawa ang "sayang sayang" na comment na 'yan.

So if you encounter a heritage house or building that's going to be demolished, don't go to HCS for help. Don't rely on your so called friends from SSC either. Do what you can to save a piece of Philippine history, find other worthy and reliable people who can help you outside HCS and SSC and hope for the best.
Wonderboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 14th, 2009, 01:16 PM   #7002
Wonderboy
a.k.a Escolta Kid

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongbasco View Post
Napaka dami at napaka-complicated ng problema ng heritage conservation. Malamang naman alam na ng mga nasa HCS at iba pang conservation groups kung ano ang kailangang gawin pero ipinagtataka ko lang kung bakit napaka-liit at napaka-kaunti ng parin ang nagagawa. Kung minsan naisip ko na nga kung dapat na bang magtayo ng party-list ng mga concerned citizens on heritage conservation eh para mas mabilis na maisulong yung agenda nun.
Dapat talaga mas aggressive. Kung party list mas maganda. Pero may nagagawa ba talaga kung party list? Kung sabagay, kaysa naman yung heritage group ngayon na puro lecture lang on conservation. Nasa awareness level pa lang kasi. Hindi umuusad.

----

Speaking of demolition, the building in Manila that is reportedly being demolished is Natividad Building on Escolta Street.

Natividad Building in Escolta as Meralco's head office during Prewar Manila

Natividad Building at present

Someone from HCS posted a message and was confirming if this was true. Since I know something about the fate of the building, I e-mailed and sent the message below:

Hello Mr. *****,

Natividad Building's demolition permit is for its ground floor only. I was told by Mrs. Herbosa of Natividad Building that the building's ground floor is too steep so they have to tear down the mezzanine to raise the ceiling of their building's ground floor. Escolta Street has been raised by more than six feet through the decades, hence there is a need to raise the ground floor ceiling.

I gave the contact details of Natividad Building to the HCS Secretariat. You may get in touch with them for any update/clarifications, as the last time I talked to Mrs. Herbosa was sometime in January 2009. Calling them again will also ensure/confirm that they are indeed only renovating the ground floor and not the entire building.

Sincerely,

-----

I think HCS needs to be organized on this demolition thing, not just for Natividad but for other buildings as well. Ang nangyayari kasi, may magsasabi na may madedemolish na building, tapos, po-post niya sa HCS Yahoogroups, tapos may co-comment na, "ay, sayang naman." Puņ**ang "sayang" 'yan. Eh wala talagang mangayayari kung puro "ay, sayang naman."

Kundi ko pa pinost yung message na 'yan, malamang, napuno na naman ng "sayang" message yung HCS Yahoogroups.

Last edited by Wonderboy; July 14th, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Wonderboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #7003
habagatcentral1
Nomad of South Central

Likes (Received): 466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderboy View Post
I found out about the demolition of the Molo house more than a week ago through a friend who's based in Iloilo. I told him to help out the best way he can on my behalf to save the house since I do not have the means to go there. He tried his best. I heard that they talked to a lawyer who happens to be related to the owner of the old house but again, money was involved. Here in the Philippines, the sad reality is that money is much more important than preserving one's history and identity. It's all about the money. Pera pera lang 'yan. Halos lahat naman ngayon pera lang ang katapat. The hell with ideals, principles, and dignity.

I'd like to thank, JV Perez of Iloilo for his efforts. I'm sure you're reading this post even as a lurker on SSC. Man, you did your best but it wasn't good enough. Hehe. Kidding.

---

Bernard, the thing is, you really cannot rely on HCS anymore. What are they gonna do? It's no longer a lobby group when Bambi Harper left the group in 2000. Since then, the group focused on heritage awareness. Now it's all lecture, heritage workshop, and a bit of lobbying but not really aggressive.

One thing I realized after four years of being in the realm of heritage advocacy is to rely on oneself. You really cannot seek help from other people especially HCS. You will only end up getting frustrated and receive comments like "ay, sayang naman." Lecheng "sayang" 'yan. Wala namang magagawa ang "sayang sayang" na comment na 'yan.

So if you encounter a heritage house or building that's going to be demolished, don't go to HCS for help. Don't rely on your so called friends from SSC either. Do what you can to save a piece of Philippine history, find other worthy and reliable people who can help you outside HCS and SSC and hope for the best.
So you and JV Perez know each other pala. I think he's also doing a research on Casa Real (Capitolio Provincial de Yloilo).

Now I know how it feels to be a bit frustrated...or really frustrated for this advocacy especially in this country. Now I know why, I was somehow was struck by no replies coming from HCS....Yeah, maybe you're right. The only people that I could rely on this advocacy would be those who are really advocating themselves.

The realm is Iloilo. I have to look for people who are serious and keen on heritage conservation. Loopholes and realities are such things that we have to face. I felt frustrated at one part, on the other I felt numb of inaction.

Now I know how you felt before when you were speaking out of your frustration with this advocacy...I dunno if I would still continue or take a rest or away from it for now...

But thanks for your tip @Jeff.
habagatcentral1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #7004
habagatcentral1
Nomad of South Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongbasco View Post
sayang naman yung bahay, mukha pa namang maganda.

What a sad story coming from what I hope for would be the next heritage heavyweight -Iloilo.

Napaka dami at napaka-complicated ng problema ng heritage conservation. Malamang naman alam na ng mga nasa HCS at iba pang conservation groups kung ano ang kailangang gawin pero ipinagtataka ko lang kung bakit napaka-liit at napaka-kaunti ng parin ang nagagawa. Kung minsan naisip ko na nga kung dapat na bang magtayo ng party-list ng mga concerned citizens on heritage conservation eh para mas mabilis na maisulong yung agenda nun..
Alam na alam nila yan. As a matter of fact, when ICCHCC (the local heritage council of Iloilo City) raised this issue, it was thru HCS or "Manila."

But their existing loophole has kept them from doing actions, other than money that is involved.

As for HCS, I only saw "refer to the law" replies and nothing more...from that point on, it spelled doom to the house...ICCHCC cannot do anything to save the house...or weren't they?

That's why I felt frustrated and dumbstruck with such no replies coming from HCS post despite the demolition. Wonderjeff was right.
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #7005
Rence

Likes (Received): 0

HCS should form a party list in time for the 2010 elections!

Heritage Advocates !
Rence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7006
eskeryon
Taga Baog

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
Please confirm is my understanding is correct.

Hutlok = (ceb) hubog; (tag) lasing?
Hubog in Cebuano and Lasing in Tagalog is HINGAW in Butuanon.
eskeryon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #7007
eskeryon
Taga Baog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepwalker View Post
Please confirm is my understanding is correct.

Hutlok = (ceb) hubog; (tag) lasing?
Hubog in Cebuano and Lasing in Tagalog is HINGAW in Butuanon.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7008
eskeryon
Taga Baog

Quote:
Originally Posted by power647 View Post
Nope, Butuanon language is still spoken especially in some of the northern barangays as well as majority of the residents in Agaw district of the city. Butuanon is also spoken in some municipalities along Agusan River in Agusan del Sur.

Madiyaw nga hinaat kaniyo disaon mga soon ko. Ako nalang ga tikawtikaw ngani.
People in Agusan del Sur will not say that a person speak in Butuanon but he speak Agusanon. I had traveled along the Upper Agusan River and visited several towns of Agusan del Sur but never I heard somebody say that he speak Butuanon but instead Agusanon. This is to differ also the Manobo dialect which is practically by far different from Agusanon or Butuanon. The Naliyagan Festival of Agusan del Sur is derived from a Manobo word. As for people who could still speak pure Butuanon I could vouch my relatives in Magallanes, Agusan del Norte still speak Butuanon in their daily communication up to this date. My mother settled in Cebu since 1954 but until now the Binutuanon conversation is still there.
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #7009
eskeryon
Taga Baog

Quote:
Originally Posted by power647 View Post
Nope, Butuanon language is still spoken especially in some of the northern barangays as well as majority of the residents in Agaw district of the city. Butuanon is also spoken in some municipalities along Agusan River in Agusan del Sur.

Madiyaw nga hinaat kaniyo disaon mga soon ko. Ako nalang ga tikawtikaw ngani.
People in Agusan del Sur will not say that a person speak in Butuanon but he speak Agusanon. I had traveled along the Upper Agusan River and visited several towns of Agusan del Sur but never I heard somebody say that he speak Butuanon but instead Agusanon. This is to differ also the Manobo dialect which is practically by far different from Agusanon or Butuanon. The Naliyagan Festival of Agusan del Sur is derived from a Manobo word. As for people who could still speak pure Butuanon I could vouch my relatives in Magallanes, Agusan del Norte still speak Butuanon in their daily communication up to this date. My mother settled in Cebu since 1954 but until now the Binutuanon conversation is still there.
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7010
bukid
Fishful

i hope the young generation can preserve the language by speaking the language too.
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:16 AM   #7011
bukid
Fishful

i hope the young generation can preserve the language by speaking the language too.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #7012
TONZI
defaNcto city

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukid View Post
Somebody should study how the language is evolving among the native Butuanons so that they will know who the speakers are and the population of the speakers, what frequency and what time do they use the language, and most importantly, if the language is already on the verge of deteriorating or not.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #7013
TONZI
defaNcto city

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukid View Post
Somebody should study how the language is evolving among the native Butuanons so that they will know who the speakers are and the population of the speakers, what frequency and what time do they use the language, and most importantly, if the language is already on the verge of deteriorating or not.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #7014
habagatcentral1
Nomad of South Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by habagatcentral1 View Post
My blog post about the sad fate of Casa Locsin
A Loss in Ilonggo Heritage: Locsin House of Molo, Iloilo

Correspondence with Iloilo City's local heritage council (ICCHCC)

Quote:
Iloilo City Cultural Heritage Conservation Council (ICCHCC) tried to talk to the Locsin heirs, but they were in a hurry to dispose of the house. It was only the house that was sold - the wood, to a buyer in Bacolod. The representative of the family, Mr. Dennis Locsin, has put down in writing that the family will consult the council (ICCHCC) in the event that the lot will have a buyer - we really don't know how binding this is. The council is planning, to have the area surrounding the church declared a heritage zone which will be subject to the council"s IRR. In the meantime, we are focusing on heritage and culture awareness. On August 19 and 20, we will be conducting a workshop in cooperation with UP Visayas Center for West Visayan Studies and the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc (RAFI) to promote pride in Ilonggo-Bisaya culture and heritage. The target group will be cultural workers and educators.

-Dr. Kristin Treņas, ICCHCC
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:52 AM   #7015
mimeomimeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatudNilaBaby View Post
dali raman ni masabtan ba. mora ug combination of cebuano, waray, ilongo, tagalog. kadaghan naku ug mga classmate from butuan and surigao, dali raman kaayo sila maka adapt sa sinugbuanong bisaya. it must be the similarities in sounds that make the transition easy.
Kamayo,Davawenyo and Tausug are the most closest languages to butuanon they are all southern visayan languages or mansakan group.

In Kamayo the word for I don't know is inday.
mimeomimeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:52 AM   #7016
mimeomimeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatudNilaBaby View Post
dali raman ni masabtan ba. mora ug combination of cebuano, waray, ilongo, tagalog. kadaghan naku ug mga classmate from butuan and surigao, dali raman kaayo sila maka adapt sa sinugbuanong bisaya. it must be the similarities in sounds that make the transition easy.
Kamayo,Davawenyo and Tausug are the most closest languages to butuanon they are all southern visayan languages or mansakan group.

In Kamayo the word for I don't know is inday.

Last edited by mimeomimeo; August 2nd, 2009 at 05:18 AM.
mimeomimeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2009, 03:49 AM   #7017
chevy49

I share your frustrations. Since these are private properties, all we can do is advise the owners on the importance of the structure.

A local ordinance should be passed to regulate the sale or renovation of these heritage buildings. Education is also key. If the public has no keen interest on our cultural heritage, it would be difficult to convince people to appreciate the value of these structures.

Thankfully, here in Cagayan de Oro City, the Heritage Conservation Advocates is still active in their advocacy in preserving cultural heritage in the city. It is unfortunate that the City Government itself is the main culprit in destroying heritage sites in the city.

http://heritage.************/
chevy49 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:09 PM   #7018
overtureph

Quote:
Originally Posted by habagatcentral1 View Post
Correspondence with Iloilo City's local heritage council (ICCHCC)
I guess one of those cases where the Locsin house would have fared better if it ended up in Bagac, Bataan.
overtureph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7019
TheAvenger
Guardian Angel

Likes (Received): 225

Luneta Hotel

Photos of Luneta Hotel as of today 13th August 2009.

Kalaw Street near Roxas Blvd and Rizal Park.

Kalaw Street.

Restoration, not demolition, says Luneta Hotel’s new owner

By Allison Lopez
Inquirer
First Posted 00:08:00 12/13/2007

Filed Under: Local authorities, Monuments & Heritage Sites

MANILA, Philippines – Beaumont Holdings, the new owner of the Luneta Hotel in Manila, yesterday announced that the 89-year-old structure would be restored to its previous glory in three years’ time.

“We will make it stronger. We will not touch the facade,” Adelina Wong, an engineer of the company, said.

The hotel on T. M. Kalaw Street, one of the few remaining structures that survived World War II, has been undergoing “structural rehabilitation and retrofit” since it was bought by Beaumont last August.

Completed in 1918, the Luneta Hotel was designed by Spanish architect-engineer Salvador Farre, according to a study by Dean John Joseph Fernandez of the University Of Santo Tomas College Of Architecture.

It is being touted as the only structure reminiscent of French Renaissance architecture with Filipino stylized beaux arts in the country, Fernandez said.

The dilapidated building fronting Rizal Park was declared a historical landmark by the National Historical Institute and is protected by Presidential Decree 1505 which makes it unlawful to alter or destroy the original features of an edifice classified by the NHI “without prior written permission from its chair.”

Members of the Heritage Conservation Society were initially alarmed over reports that Beaumont had applied for a demolition permit but company representatives and Manila building official Melvin Balagot assured them that the permit issued only allows structural rehabilitation.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...tels_new_owner
TheAvenger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #7020
dvbaicrviser
dwtc keeper

Likes (Received): 6

Salamat naman. Sana bilhin narin ni Madam yung katabing puting building at yun ang gibain. Hindi bagay sa tabi ng Luneta Hotel.