daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:27 PM   #1
Vapour

Likes (Received): 27

What to do in Tokyo on a clear day

You can either go to your local store, buy some beer and empty the cans while browsering the forum, or you can take your camera and go out for some fine images.

Luckily I was invited to have lunch at the 36th floor of the ANA Intercontinental Hotel in Roppongi, a nice start to any day.

^Diet building, Imperial Palace, CBD… looking north.

The mountain you see on the background is Mt. Tsukuba, 70 kms away from the hotel.

Somebody said dessert?

Tokyo Mid-town (right) and Roppongi Hills (left)

I had to go for more…

Then, in my way to Roppongi Hills (a 15-minute walk) I came across with this restaurant, the first time I ever see a Belarusian eatery.

Finally, the hardcore stuff: Open-air observatory at 238 metres above the city, mmmm…

Uuhhh

Aahh

Nice job you’ve got guys

That cluster on the background is Makuhari (Chiba)

Mt. Fuji being shy, as usual.

Yokohama

Shibuya

Ebisu, Musashi-kosugi.

Saitama city cluster

That was all for the open-air observatory. I also spent some time indoors:

終わり

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Vapour

Oh great, Photobucket resized my pictures Plus I forgot a couple of them but I can't edit my thread, it won't let me
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
Get Smart
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

very nice pictures
Get Smart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Munichpictures1970

Likes (Received): 217

Great pics!
Thx for sharing.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Liwwadden

Likes (Received): 58

Nice tour!
Old November 22nd, 2008, 05:21 PM   #6
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8223

Vapour, I envy you so much. I Was in your city for 11 days and for me it is the most amazing place on earth...and you happen to live there!!! WOW

Do you have any street-level pictues of Roppongi?

Thanks for sharing.
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 07:49 PM   #7
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244277

Tokyo is really great! Great pics
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM   #8
OshHisham
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

sweet presentation. since the MidTown was completed, i never had a chance to go there...

do you find MidTown is interesting as what it was expected, vapour?
OshHisham no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:33 AM   #9
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

I find Japan a fascinating country with a fascinating culture, but Tokyo itself is rather anonymous. I could be wrong, but it doesn't appear to have any noticeable landmarks or iconic buildings, which is strange considering that it is such a famous and influential city. So what exactly are the famous landmarks?

I think that the city could really benefit from a couple of iconic supertall towers being built in the CBD. It would really enhance the city's skyline, which is a little dull at the moment.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to go to Tokyo someday, I find the culture fascinating, but I don't think that it's anything special to look at. I also find it very strange that the world's most futuristic city in terms of technology and culture looks so dated - most of the buildings look like they were built between the 60s and the 80s (to be fair, most of the city was reconstructed after the big earthquake and WW2), but you'd think by the twenty first century, Tokyo would have a skyline to rival the other great Asian / middle-eastern cities. Come on guys!
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:50 AM   #10
Inconfidente

Likes (Received): 15061

Tokyo is so perfect!
Inconfidente no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:51 AM   #11
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

always surprising Tokyo
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:02 AM   #12
aleochi
carioca

Likes (Received): 1704

just one of the coolest city ever
aleochi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:12 AM   #13
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyBoy1 View Post
you'd think by the twenty first century, Tokyo would have a skyline to rival the other great Asian / middle-eastern cities. Come on guys!
Well being in an earthquake prone area probably plays a role in limiting the height of buildings in the city causing midrise sprawl. You could argue that the technology is already available to build supertalls in the region and probably that's true, but there's many towers above 200 m. Still, there's a very impressive skyline and I think that it's not shown off on SSC: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3269/...577e9379_o.jpg. In my mind this surpasses many "great Asian / middle-eastern cities".

Vapour! Firstly, those deserts look expensive! But life is short and I'm sure you're enjoying it fully. It's such a luxury to have a moderator from Japan. You know there are not too many Japanese forumers. But to have a moderator who both lives there and posts photos is just a huge asset for SSC. Please keep up the good work and show us more.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:24 AM   #14
LS Kim
Non Dvcor Dvco

Likes (Received): 409

Tokyo is great! Amazing!
LS Kim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:53 AM   #15
Vapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Vapour! Firstly, those deserts look expensive!
It was a buffet

Thanks everyone!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:36 AM   #16
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

The human body is not designed to consume so much sugar at once, be warned... i'd advise you to not continue w/ that habit.

To the Londoner who is critical of Tokyo: Tokyo doesn't need iconic structures -- it is pure urban poetry and a tapestry of clockwork computerized perfection - London is a small micky-mouse city of 12 or so million vs this supreme urban edifice of 35+. I'm amazed that for a city that size, it doesn't have pollution as bad as somewhere like Hong Kong, Shanghai, LA, etc.
Although I assume it has the usual big city smog on certain days. However, the transit and clean cars help.

Are Tokyo's pollution levels reasonably low compared to LA, Shanghai, etc.?

Japan needs a smoking ban btw...

London is mostly empty space - even NYC has twice the ammount of people in half the area. You can't compare these cities - nothing against London, but it isn't a complete urban network like Tokyo -- a multi-core, transit lines acting like circuit conduits, linkages connecting the major nodes w/ swiss precision. London is a wonderful place, but a village in comparison. That would make other smaller cities like Venice/Berlin/Rome etc.. hamlets I suppose...

Iconic structures mean nothing. BTW, Tokyo has plenty of iconic architecture -- check out Ginza or Aoyama for the most beautiful and sleek high end fashion emporiums you will ever see...and the new shopping complexes are also state of the art and iconic. Shibuya cross is in iteself an iconic urban system and is Ginza and Shinjuku. Tokyo's iconism is in its colletive structural urban units and how they function integrally and smoothly, as if run by a computerized algorithm - it doesn't depend on Parisian extravegance, London's elegance, NY's iconography, or Dubai's futurism... It is itself the whole, the matrix so to speak of Tokyo that propels it into a league of its own and it is pure unadulterated cyber urbanistic balet to the higest degree.

Pollution is the scourge of cities destroying the quality of life for all --- once clean cars/busses etc. contribute the majority of the traffic, cities the world over will be open to all to enjoy without worrying about health. Thank you Japan for starting the ball rolling with your fantastic cars.

Last edited by aquablue; November 23rd, 2008 at 06:53 AM.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #17
Vapour

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The human body is not designed to consume so much sugar at once, be warned... i'd advise you to not continue w/ that habit.
Who said that was a habit? I hadn't had that many cakes in decades
Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM   #18
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18132

Beautiful!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #19
Anekdote

Likes (Received): 29

Excellent pictures, Tokyo is such a big metropole. How long would it take to travel by car throgh the city? I remember when I was in Tokyo it took me about 1-2 hours from Tama-shi to Shinjuku.. well we had traffic jam as well.
Anekdote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM   #20
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6555

impressive shots, i really love tokyo
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote