daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM   #21
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapour View Post
It was a buffet

Thanks everyone!
Foods looked delicious there
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #22
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
To the Londoner who is critical of Tokyo: Tokyo doesn't need iconic structures -- it is pure urban poetry and a tapestry of clockwork computerized perfection - London is a small micky-mouse city of 12 or so million vs this supreme urban edifice of 35+. I'm amazed that for a city that size, it doesn't have pollution as bad as somewhere like Hong Kong, Shanghai, LA, etc.
Hey, I wasn't dissing Tokyo, just pointing out that it's nothing special to look at. I'm not saying that it's not a special city - it's a fascinating city, I just would have thought that by the 21st century it would have had some great 21st century architecture to match it's "city-of-the-future" image.

When I think of New York I think of the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, when I think of Paris, I think of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triumphe and when I think of London I think of Big Ben and Tower Bridge. I'm not sure what I think when I think of Tokyo, just urban chaos!!!.........I agree that perhaps Tokyo doesn't need landmarks, it's a city of function over beauty and that there is something fascinating in that sense. I just think that a handful of distinctive supertall towers would benefit the city no end, whether the city needs them or not...............and I don't think anyone could ever call London a Mickey Mouse city
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:09 PM   #23
DzD1358

Likes (Received): 105

Great shots!
DzD1358 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:00 PM   #24
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyBoy1 View Post
Hey, I wasn't dissing Tokyo, just pointing out that it's nothing special to look at. I'm not saying that it's not a special city - it's a fascinating city, I just would have thought that by the 21st century it would have had some great 21st century architecture to match it's "city-of-the-future" image.

When I think of New York I think of the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building, when I think of Paris, I think of the Eiffel Tower and the Arc De Triumphe and when I think of London I think of Big Ben and Tower Bridge. I'm not sure what I think when I think of Tokyo, just urban chaos!!!.........I agree that perhaps Tokyo doesn't need landmarks, it's a city of function over beauty and that there is something fascinating in that sense. I just think that a handful of distinctive supertall towers would benefit the city no end, whether the city needs them or not...............and I don't think anyone could ever call London a Mickey Mouse city
Sorry, by Mickey Mouse I meant village like in size in comparison to Tokyo -- nothing bout its importance or beauty.

I notice a lack of pollution in Tokyo, amazing for such a large city.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM   #25
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

totally awesome photos! Tokyo looks AWESOME!
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:24 PM   #26
Snowy

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Sorry, by Mickey Mouse I meant village like in size in comparison to Tokyo -- nothing bout its importance or beauty.

I notice a lack of pollution in Tokyo, amazing for such a large city.
Ok, I see what you mean, Tokyo is a huuuuuuuuuge city!

I'd love to go there someday, it's like nowhere else on earth. I saw an old documentary about Tokyo a couple of years ago, which was probably made back in the mid '80s and despite the dodgy hair-dos, it still seemed like a city from the future. Amazing.
Snowy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:58 PM   #27
El Mariachi

Likes (Received): 5997

Tokyo just looks insane how big it is. I would love to travel there, but I fear of getting lost within the city for days---missing my flight home!
El Mariachi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #28
joburg

Likes (Received): 6

oh wow how i miss Tokyo after seeing those photos!
I think I spent new years eve last year in that observatory in Rappongi. had such fantastic of Tokyo at night time. was AMAZING.
joburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #29
Patachou

Likes (Received): 16

very nice pictures
Patachou no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #30
juanico
Daily Commuter

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Tokyo itself is rather anonymous [...] it doesn't appear to have any noticeable landmarks or iconic buildings [...]

So what exactly are the famous landmarks?

[...]I don't think that it's anything special to look at [...]
Talking about landmarks I would say that the Tokyo Tower, the Rainbow Bridge, the Shibuya crossing, or the Shinjuku skyline just to mention a few that come on top of my mind are all noticeable and highly distinctive landmarks/places that make the city recognizable among any.

Be it the packed midrise buildings that you find nowhere else outside Japan, the giant billboards and neons, the 3-level highways and other engineering masterpieces, the narrow one-way streets with overhead wires etc. (I could go on for hours) it rather appears to me that Tokyo is all but anonymous, but pretty unique and definitly recognizable at first sight.
juanico no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #31
aquablue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 229

If you use google street-view you will notice that Tokyo is quite monotonous outside of a few select districts. The colors, the buildings, vary little throughout. Not a critisism.
aquablue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 07:11 PM   #32
samba_man
1 ...2....3...

Likes (Received): 19947

Awesome megalopolis!
Old December 29th, 2008, 08:34 AM   #33
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

Its amazing how expansive Tokyo is. It's such an awesome sight when being viewed.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM   #34
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8785

Quote:
If you use google street-view you will notice that Tokyo is quite monotonous outside of a few select districts. The colors, the buildings, vary little throughout. Not a critisism.
This is true, however, it doesn't diminish what an interesting city it is. There is nowhere quite like it!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #35
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
I'm not sure what I think when I think of Tokyo, just urban chaos!!!.........
That's a fair point about Tokyo lacking very recognisable iconic landmarks, however, I'd say Tokyo is a totally different animal to the other cities you mentioned. For me the most iconic and recognisable images of Tokyo are not so much skyline images, they're mid level or street level images of crazy neon signs, masses of people, and highways stacked one on top of another above the streets. The skyline doesn't really figure as much in my image of the city as does that of most other cities.

You said that when you think of Tokyo you think of 'urban chaos'. However, what I think is the most amazing thing about Tokyo is that dispite the absolute mass of humanity, it's not 'urban chaos'! Tokyo is a model of hyper-urbanity, hyper-mobility, but it also somehow manages to be a model of hyper-efficiency. It just amazes me that it's even possible to have that many people in one place and things still work like clockwork! My only possible conclusion is that the Japanese must be machines, it's incredible! Mumbai is 'urban chaos', in comparison to Tokyo even London and New York are 'urban chaos'. Tokyo is some kind of living machine!
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #36
Assemblage23
Übereinstimmend

Likes (Received): 8223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
That's a fair point about Tokyo lacking very recognisable iconic landmarks, however, I'd say Tokyo is a totally different animal to the other cities you mentioned. For me the most iconic and recognisable images of Tokyo are not so much skyline images, they're mid level or street level images of crazy neon signs, masses of people, and highways stacked one on top of another above the streets. The skyline doesn't really figure as much in my image of the city as does that of most other cities.

You said that when you think of Tokyo you think of 'urban chaos'. However, what I think is the most amazing thing about Tokyo is that dispite the absolute mass of humanity, it's not 'urban chaos'! Tokyo is a model of hyper-urbanity, hyper-mobility, but it also somehow manages to be a model of hyper-efficiency. It just amazes me that it's even possible to have that many people in one place and things still work like clockwork! My only possible conclusion is that the Japanese must be machines, it's incredible! Mumbai is 'urban chaos', in comparison to Tokyo even London and New York are 'urban chaos'. Tokyo is some kind of living machine!
It seems that you just spoke my mind out I could bet that you have been to Tokyo already. This city has to be seen to be believed.

Whenever I start talking with friends about Tokyo, they think that I'm exaggerating.

I clearly remember being in Shinjuku with a friend in our first day in Tokyo and I asked him: "how on earth are we gonna describe this (me pointing at many things) when we get back home?" My friend stood still for many seconds watching around, just to reply at the end: "we won't be able to describe Tokyo, simply there are no words for this".

Wichtige Änderungen beginnen immer mit ganz neuen Perspektiven.

-
Assemblage23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote