daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 11th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #201
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
According to Emporis.com

NYC : 5,806 existing
Sao Paulo : 5,657 existing
Seoul : 2,876 existing
Tokyo : 2,693 existing

Emporis is based on contributions from members. Most people in Asia, particularly in China (except Hong Kong it seems) don't visit Emporis, hence don't 'contribute' - as the guy who replied to you down below said.

Look at a picture of Shanghai - then look at its' stats on Emporis. Do they match up?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #202
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHDARE View Post
LOL ...And you ? did you get ofended about the Ironic comments about Buenos Aires ?
of course not! but i hate ironic comments and he started!
iam brazilian lol, i wouldn't defend an argentinan city hehehe....
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #203
ilovecz

Likes (Received): 15

This is nonsense. You basically assume that the relative rank of Emporis for Chinese cities is correct, which is WRONG. Anybody from China knows Shanghai has way more highrises than Hong Kong. No matter how dense Hong Kong is, it is too small in geographic area. Even if it eliminates all the roads and builds highrises on top of them, it can't beat Shanghai, or even Beijing. Hong Kong has a killer skyline and its average height is way more than 12 stories, but as far as the number of highrises goes, I wouldn't rank it among the top 5 in China. You may find Shanghai less dense than Sao Paolo in aerial photos, but that's because Shanghai has many buildings that are way taller than Sao Paolo's tallest so they stand out. Those that look like a gap in between are also mostly taller than 12 stories. From aerial photos even Beijing looks denser than Shanghai and that is also because Beijing has a more uniform height of buildings. Beijing's height is not impressive at all but again 12 stories is such a low benchmark and it is very easy for residential towers to be more than that. New York mentioned in this thread is just a joke. Again, New York is an impressive city. Perhaps the best in the world in terms of skyscrapers old and new, but comparing all towers including residential towers > 12 stories? New York shouldn't even consider to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
This is how a think that these cities stack:

1- Hong Kong - Emporis say's that the city has 7,626 highrises, probably has about 8 thousand

2- São Paulo - Emporis: 5,453, Total probable number: 30.000-40.000

3- Shanghai - Emporis: 940 , Total probable number: 3.000-4.000

4- Shenzhen - Emporis: 347 , Total probable number: ~2.000

5- New York - Emporis: 5,597 (more than any mainland chinese city)

Do you have some estimates for the number of skycrapers in Shanghai and Shenzhen that put the total number of highrises in the 50.000s? Because 3 thousand is way smaller than São Paulo's 30/40.000s.

Last edited by ilovecz; November 12th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
ilovecz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM   #204
Ervin2

Likes (Received): 6

Those pictures make the world population look so unsurprising.
Ervin2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #205
ovem
Commieblocks fan

Likes (Received): 883

i think that no city can beat Shanghai on highrises number.
Old November 12th, 2009, 11:20 AM   #206
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53450

What city in China has the most high rises in the world? What day is it?
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #207
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakroef View Post
NYC beats easily seoul in skyline (especially height) but iam talking about amount of buildings( 80-90m tall)
so i think seoul is better, but i would like to see a database or something

well, about tokyo, iam seeing some photos, maybe it has more than seoul, you are right

a couple more photos of the korean megacity:

That's more like it, but it still does not show very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecz View Post
This is nonsense. You basically assume that the relative rank of Emporis for Chinese cities is correct, which is WRONG. Anybody from China knows Shanghai has way more highrises than Hong Kong. No matter how dense Hong Kong is, it is too small in geographic area. Even if it eliminates all the roads and builds highrises on top of them, it can't beat Shanghai, or even Beijing. Hong Kong has a killer skyline and its average height is way more than 12 stories, but as far as the number of highrises goes, I wouldn't rank it among the top 5 in China. You may find Shanghai less dense than Sao Paolo in aerial photos, but that's because Shanghai has many buildings that are way taller than Sao Paolo's tallest so they stand out. Those that look like a gap in between are also mostly taller than 12 stories. From aerial photos even Beijing looks denser than Shanghai and that is also because Beijing has a more uniform height of buildings. Beijing's height is not impressive at all but again 12 stories is such a low benchmark and it is very easy for residential towers to be more than that. New York mentioned in this thread is just a joke. Again, New York is an impressive city. Perhaps the best in the world in terms of skyscrapers old and new, but comparing all towers including residential towers > 12 stories? New York shouldn't even consider to compete.
To me, Shanghai looks like it has roughly the same number of high-rises as if all of the buildings in Manhattan was spread out over an area about 5 times bigger. Yes, it does have more commie blocks than NYC, but many of them are only 5-8 floors tall. Those commie blocks are everywhere to be found in central Shanghai, right among those skyscrapers.

Also, Sao Paulo has more high-rises than Shanghai, but probably loses out to Shanghai when it comes to the total floor space of all the skyscrapers combined, since Shanghai has taller and bigger ones than Sao Paulo. The ones in Sampa are mostly short and thin, which is why there can be so many.
Shera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #208
minneapolis-uptown

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChobits View Post
No matter if you defend Shenzhen or Sao Paulo, but I cannot understand why feeling so much pride because of having a huge amount of the ugliest buildings made by humans: those depressing white blocks :S
if you think those are bad, you should check out Havana
minneapolis-uptown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #209
citypia
future is today.

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera View Post
Seoul??? The only place where I saw a lot of high-rises was on Google Earth, by looking at the long shadows imposed by the buildings over the ground. I still have yet to see an impressive picture of Seoul. Please show me one!!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscrapercity View Post
These are my favorite Seoul Pictures from Korean forum.

Old CBD(North of Seoul, Central area)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

New CBD(South of Seoul)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Yeido island area
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Mokdong Area
image hosted on flickr
[/QUOTE]

Only some parts of the whole Seoul area are seen here in these pics.

Last edited by citypia; November 13th, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
citypia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #210
citypia
future is today.

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimethyltryptamine View Post
According to Emporis.com

NYC : 5,806 existing
Sao Paulo : 5,657 existing
Seoul : 2,876 existing
Tokyo : 2,693 existing

Many buildings in Seoul are NOT listed on EMPORIS.COM, since we haven't had any active editors on that site for a long time.

Maybe, Seoul is not the city with largest amount og highrise.
But don't underestimate please.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by citypia; November 19th, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
citypia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #211
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Cool! I appreciate more pictures of Seoul, but it still does not seem to have more skyscrapers than HK or Shanghai.

Hey, I'm trying to not underestimate, but I'll be doing more research on Seoul. I've already nearly exhausted HK after looking at bazillions of pictures, but such nice and big panoramas of Seoul are rare.

I do see lots of buildings between 10-20 floors, but there aren't very many over 30 floors. There are also lots with less than 10 floors, in some of those pictures.

Is there a really nice Seoul thread here on SSC?
Old November 14th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #212
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

I've lived in both Seoul and Shanghai and Seoul seems bigger to me. The buildings aren't as tall or as dense but the metro area just goes on for ever. The mountains prevent you from seeing much of it in one view but you can drive from Incheon through Seoul and up to Uijeongbu, travelling around 100km, and be surrounded by high rise the whole way. It's pretty awesome.
There's absolutely nothing in Seoul to rival a night-time cab trip along the elevated Yanan lu though. Actually the complete ease with which you can get across Shanghai probably makes it feel smaller. The expressways in Seoul aren't as good and there is a lot more traffic to slow everything down. I went up the Lupu bridge recently and the view was more impressive to me than the view from Namsan which is about the only place from which you can see a good portion of Seoul.
The building rate of Shanghai is also incredible and I suppose if you count Incheon as part of Seoul then Suzhou and Wuxi have to be part of Shanghai making it a lot bigger even than the Korean megacity.
I'm guessing Tokyo is more like Seoul - shorter buildings but covering a huge area. Sao Paulo looks smaller but quite a bit denser. With the amount of current building going on in a lot of these cities I doubt it's really possible to definitively answer this question.
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #213
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Thanks jacks for such a cool answer! I appreciate it.
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #214
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

If anyone doesn't think Shenzhen is up there, have a look at today's banner.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #215
HK999
University of HK / 香港大學

Likes (Received): 336

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
If anyone doesn't think Shenzhen is up there, have a look at today's banner.
exactly what i think. most people have no idea that major cities in china have become (or will become) the leading cities (in the future), in terms of
1) economy
2) numbers of highrises / skyscrapers / supertalls
3) hightech industry
4) finance
5) 'power' (wealth, etc.)
Old November 14th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #216
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6245

Ive heard from a number of people that Seoul feels like the biggest city in the world, bigger than NYC (which it is), and bigger than Tokyo (which it isn't). It is after all the world's second biggest city, squeezing in 26 million people into a fraction an area of other comparable metropoli - its not so much skyscrapers (thanks to height limits), but the sheer density and endlessness of midrises, epic busyness and utter lack of suburbia.

South Korea as a whole is the world's most densely populated country in terms of urban areas (70% of Korea is thickly forested.)

Last edited by the spliff fairy; November 14th, 2009 at 06:29 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #217
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Ive heard from a number of people that Seoul feels like the biggest city in the world, bigger than NYC (which it is), and bigger than Tokyo (which it isn't). It is after all the world's second biggest city, squeezing in 26 million people into a fraction an area of other comparable metropoli - its not so much skyscrapers (thanks to height limits), but the sheer density and endlessness of midrises, epic busyness and utter lack of suburbia.

South Korea as a whole is the world's most densely populated country in terms of urban areas (70% of Korea is thickly forested.)
Nice, interesting! That's cool about Korea being so heavily forested but having such dense cities.

26 million.. hmm, more than half of S. Korea's population.. ughh.. I have yet to see a source that states 26 million instead of 18-22 million. Several of the most reputable sources that I have seen include Incheon in the metro area.

Mumbai, Manila, and Delhi have more people than Seoul, and cover smaller area (more dense) according to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._by_population

Well, Seoul still does look more dense than urban Hong Kong, though!

Last edited by Shera; November 15th, 2009 at 04:21 AM.
Old November 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #218
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

I went skiing in Korea and the ski village comprised of a set of 30 floor condos. While the mountains in Korea aren't high, they are steep and pretty much every square inch of flat land in the valleys is either farm or town. Everywhere. I'd guess the sum total unused flat land in South Korea would be (if you could put it all in the one place) just about big enough for a game of cricket.
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #219
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6245

Seoul (right) and Incheon (left, on the coast) are contiguous:

Together they count 24.5 million metro, - 26 million (if not more) would be a US style metro definition that would take in thousands of km2 based on commuting patterns. More than half the population lives in that area.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #220
Shera
Juts out of nowhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Seoul (right) and Incheon (left, on the coast) are contiguous:

Together they count 24.5 million metro, - 26 million (if not more) would be a US style metro definition that would take in thousands of km2 based on commuting patterns. More than half the population lives in that area.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Gyeonggi-do

Quote:
Gyeonggi-do is the most populous province in South Korea. The provincial capital is located at Suwon. Seoul—South Korea's largest city and national capital—is located in the heart of the province, but has been separately administered as a provincial-level special city since 1946. Incheon—South Korea's third largest city—is located on the coast of the province, but has been similarly administered as a provincial-level metropolitan city since 1981. The three administrations between them cover 11,730 sq.km, with a combined (census) population in 2005 of 22,766,850—amounting to over 48% of the entire population of South Korea.

(source: Wikipedia)