daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #261
TomA44

Likes (Received): 15

São Paulo

This might be an old thread but I decided to pick some images from Sao Paulo to show you around. Most of the photos I've seen on Google are very old so I wanted to show how Sao Paulo looks like todays day. To me, Sao Paulo is a very dense mix of Neoclassic, old and modern buildings (which some are just wannabes and many are really interesting).

I will divide by areas of the city. (Itaim Bibi Area, Central Area, Paulista Area, and the Ibirapuera Area – those areas are todays most notable but are only about 40% of the entire city area)

Skyline
image hosted on flickr

Itaim Bibi:

1. Avenida Eng. Luis Berrini (Avenue)

2. Avenida Chucri Zaidan (Avenue)

Chucri Zaidan

3. Parque da Cidade (Building's name)

4. Patio Malzoni (Building's name) <- one of my favorite

Patio Malzoni Tower

5. Infinity Tower

6. Eco Berrini

7. Rochavera Towers

Rochavera

8.Landmark Sao Paulo

Landmark

9. Marginal Pinheiros (Avenue)

10. WTorre Morumbi Tower

11. Vitra Residential Tower

Vitra Residential Tower

12. JK Iguatemi

14. Cidade Jardim Complex

15. Parque do Povo (park)

16. Birman Abril

17. Parque Burle Marx

UNDER CONSTRUCTION/FUTURE PROJECTS
18. Parque Global

19. JHSF Tower (250+ Meters)

Central Area:
1. At Night from ground

Paulista Area:
1.Matarazzo Tower

2.MASP

Ibirapuera Area
1. Praça Vila Nova Tower (The most expensive residential building in Brazil - prices varies from USD4 million to USD25 million for the 10k sq. ft. triplex penthouse]

2. Ibirapuera Park

3. Unique Hotel

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Last edited by TomA44; June 30th, 2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Wrong HTML Formating
TomA44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #262
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shera View Post
Hmm, what makes you think so? How many buildings would Sampa have, in your estimation? Some of the pictures of Sampa that are saved onto my drive make me think that the whole city has more of 11+ floor buildings than HK. I mean, you think that HK has more than Sampa?

About 6 million of HK people live in high-rises, but they are very tall on average (close to 30 floors).

I do not know, but I would guess that about 7-8 million of Sampa people live in high-rises of more than 11 floors. If the average height is much lower, then there has to be lots more of those buildings to hold that many people. Those buildings are also skinny, unlike Moscow's massive groundscrapers.
From what I searched the statistics of Sampa would be 30,000 to 40,000 buildings over 11 stories high. Shanghai had 16,000 in 2008 but now might be approaching that figure.

The metro populations are 21 million for Sampa and 24 million for Shanghai now but Sampa's highrises are shorter and smaller on average so a similar population will occupy more buildings.

Of course, the main reason Brazilian cities have such huge numbers of highrises is because their average population is quite low but in Brazil most people living in large cities live in apartment buildings and many if not most of these apartments are in buildings over 11 stories high, specially in Sao Paulo but also in Rio, Porto Alegre of Belo Horizonte.

I lived in a 11 story building with 1 apartment per floor in Brazil and it's resident population was 35 people only. I also lived in a 18 story building with 8 apartments per floor, that's 142 apartments and a huge 18 story building with 36 apartments per floor, that's 648 apartments. My sister now lives in a highrise building of 16 floors with 4 apartments per floor, or 64 apartments. While my dad lived in a building with 8 floors and 8 apartments per floor or 64 apartments as well. Many if not most people whose homes I can remember lived in apartment buildings over 11 stories high.

In Sampa if half of it's 21 million live in highrises that's 10 million people. A typical Brazilian highrise of around 12-14 stories has 50-70 apartments or 200 - 300 inhabitants. So putting 250 inhabitants per highrise on average and 10 million paulistas living in highrises means that there would be 40,000 highrises in Sampa.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 03:05 AM   #263
Guaporense

There is this table in Chinese showing the distribution of buildings in Shanghai by number of stories:

http://www.stats-sh.gov.cn/tjnj/nj14...tjnj/C1104.htm

There are about 30,000 buildings at or over 11 stories high by 2013. A comparable number to Sao Paulo now.
Old December 14th, 2015, 08:27 AM   #264
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 664

WOW,you know what,I feel Shanghai really the biggest city in the world.
There always many cities can beat Shanghai in some ways,such as:NYC,HK have more skyscrapers with more than 650 feets than Shanghai,HK have more dense than Shanghai,São Paulo have more buildings over 11 floors than Shanghai(i am not sure,Shanghai may very close or even more today),Dubai have highest building in the world,Shanghai tower is second,etc.....,But these comparison give me a feel:Shanghai is really the No.1 megacity in the world.
NYC have no massive size,HK is smaller too,Dubai seems only have skyscrapers but no more builidings,on the contrary,São Paulo have uncountable buildings but almost have no skyscrapers obviously,Chicago seems only some tall buildings concentrate in city center,but the rest of city is flat,SO,ONLY SHANGHAI,have all of these elements,such as many skyscrapers,massive size of city,30000+buildings over 11 floors,largest urban population,etc......no city can be compared with Shanghai in comprehensively.
it also means:Shanghai can easily become the biggest city in the world,but other mega cities still have long way to go,due to these deficiencies need to be overcome.
My english is not good,hope you guys can understand my means.

Last edited by CHINA0086; December 14th, 2015 at 02:13 PM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:00 AM   #265
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Yep, Shanghai just keeps going and going and going. I've heard bandied about it's effectively the largest city centre in the world purely from being so built up and dense across the board.

SCROLL>>>>
image hosted on flickr

黄带 / Yellow Belt by blackstation, on Flickr

SCROOOLL AGAAAAINN>>>>
image hosted on flickr

Shanghai by radics.geza, on Flickr

totaleclipse1985, Zaz965, rockinmoz liked this post
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2015, 09:01 AM   #266
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Zooming in on some local neighbourhoods:

Jing An

shang aerial 14 by matteroffact, on Flickr

shang aerial 12 by matteroffact, on Flickr

Zhabei

sh aerial 2 by matteroffact, on Flickr

HongKou

sh aerial 3 by matteroffact, on Flickr

sh aerial 6 by matteroffact, on Flickr

sh aerial 5 by matteroffact, on Flickr

totaleclipse1985, Zaz965, Manitopiaaa liked this post
Old December 14th, 2015, 11:56 PM   #267
stop that
BANNED

Likes (Received): 546

These pictures of shanghai are almost unbelievable, it's a different level of huge
stop that no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:45 AM   #268
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Yep, Shanghai just keeps going and going and going. I've heard bandied about it's effectively the largest city centre in the world purely from being so built up and dense across the board.
Manhattan I think still is slightly more impressive though. New York lacks tens of thousands of highrises but Manhattan alone has several thousand plus hundreds of super tall buildings very closely together. Chicago also has a super impressive downtown though it lacks highrises outside of it.

Shanghai will probably surpass Manhattan at this rate though and also will surpass Sao Paulo is sheer number of buildings over 11 stories soon.

Let's compare:

Shanghai

Chicago

Midtown:

Zaz965, KlausDiggy, Eric Offereins liked this post
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:50 AM   #269
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHINA0086 View Post
WOW,you know what,I feel Shanghai really the biggest city in the world.
There always many cities can beat Shanghai in some ways,such as:NYC,HK have more skyscrapers with more than 650 feets than Shanghai,HK have more dense than Shanghai,São Paulo have more buildings over 11 floors than Shanghai(i am not sure,Shanghai may very close or even more today),Dubai have highest building in the world,Shanghai tower is second,etc.....,But these comparison give me a feel:Shanghai is really the No.1 megacity in the world.
NYC have no massive size,HK is smaller too,Dubai seems only have skyscrapers but no more builidings,on the contrary,São Paulo have uncountable buildings but almost have no skyscrapers obviously,Chicago seems only some tall buildings concentrate in city center,but the rest of city is flat,SO,ONLY SHANGHAI,have all of these elements,such as many skyscrapers,massive size of city,30000+buildings over 11 floors,largest urban population,etc......no city can be compared with Shanghai in comprehensively.
it also means:Shanghai can easily become the biggest city in the world,but other mega cities still have long way to go,due to these deficiencies need to be overcome.
My english is not good,hope you guys can understand my means.
I think Hong Kong, Shenzen and Guangzhou will form a larger super city though. China's population will stop growing and the country has already done most of it's process of urbanization, hence, Shanghai's population will not grow much from this point on probably not surpassing Tokyo, whose population right now is 60% larger (24.5 million Shanghai vs. 37.5 million Tokyo), however, Guangzhou's population is already on the level of Shanghai and together with cities nearby constitutes a super metro area of 45 million people and will probably grow even more to 50-60 million in the future.

Zaz965 liked this post
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #270
CHINA0086

Likes (Received): 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
I think Hong Kong, Shenzen and Guangzhou will form a larger super city though. China's population will stop growing and the country has already done most of it's process of urbanization, hence, Shanghai's population will not grow much from this point on probably not surpassing Tokyo, whose population right now is 60% larger (24.5 million Shanghai vs. 37.5 million Tokyo), however, Guangzhou's population is already on the level of Shanghai and together with cities nearby constitutes a super metro area of 45 million people and will probably grow even more to 50-60 million in the future.
Well," list of cities proper by population" from wikipedia shows that Tokyo is 13million ,Shanghai is 24million,the largest city proper population in the world. i think this is an important standard to judge how a city big,spectacular.Try to imaging that if most people of a city are living in huge flat suburbs,how could this makes city looks like a big city,especially from aerial view,we can say its a big inhabited area,but not a big city ,Tokyo and most so called megacities are all like this.

Furthermore,I think shanghai and other Chinese cities population will still growing dramatically,because China have about 800 million people are not living in city,but most of these people will live in city.Urban planning experts predicted that about 900million chinese people will live in city in 2020!
Process of Urbanization of China will maintain its high speed.

(Population of China:1.370.536.875 in November 1,2010, more than 1.4billion now,about 1.5billion in 2020)

Zaz965 liked this post

Last edited by CHINA0086; December 15th, 2015 at 10:22 AM.
CHINA0086 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #271
totaleclipse1985

Likes (Received): 1910

The urbanization rate of China is something like 51, 52% and is expected to grow to 70% by 2030 and 90% by 2050. This means that 300million people will migrate to the cities in the next 15 years alone. It is also pretty clear, that the rich and established megacities (and coastal cities) will be more attractive - especially with the coming hokou relaxion for migrant workers. Add to this the end of the one child policy resulting in a population of 1.65billion in 2050 (medium projection, not adding significant life extension but that's a different topic).

I have seen population projections for Shanghai reaching 31million by 2030 and about 50million by 2050 - I don't think that's unrealistic. Also, Shanghai already forms an agglomeration with Suzhou, Wuxi and Changzhou (just look at google earth) with approx. 36million people and there are plans to interconnect the metro systems of Shanghai, Suzhou and Wuxi, forming a supercity like the Pearl-River Mega City or Jing-Jin-Ji. Together with greater Hangzhou and greater Nanjing, which will both be megacities in their own right in 2030, this will be one hell of a cluster.

Zaz965 liked this post
totaleclipse1985 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 10:49 PM   #272
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Dont forget that pic of Shanghai cuts out the main skyline of the Pudong side of the river.

-The plan is for several 'mega-region' cities - the Pearl River Delta, Yangtze River Delta, Beijing-Tianjin, Wuhan and Chonggqing-Chengdu with each
over a hundred million, some of them contiguously (the Pearl Delta is already 50 million in an area smaller than LA). The smaller standalone cities will
be kept at around 25 million.

Pearl River Delta currently with an urban population of 55 million, and a contiguous city one of 42 million.

Yangtze River Delta - 83 million urbanites, the biggest contiguous city in there is 36 million.

totaleclipse1985, Zaz965, luhai liked this post

Last edited by the spliff fairy; December 17th, 2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old December 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM   #273
luhai

Likes (Received): 422

indeed, and the developing Shanghai-Nanjing Transportation corridor will only speed up urbanization along the South Bank of the delta. Many so-called towns and village in that region have the size and infrastructure of small cities anywhere else in the world (and indeed in China itself).

Zaz965, totaleclipse1985 liked this post
luhai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 05:04 AM   #274
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25986

tehran

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...ehran&page=588

djole13, weirdo liked this post
Zaz965 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2015, 02:48 PM   #275
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
Manhattan I think still is slightly more impressive though. New York lacks tens of thousands of highrises but Manhattan alone has several thousand plus hundreds of super tall buildings very closely together. Chicago also has a super impressive downtown though it lacks highrises outside of it.

Shanghai will probably surpass Manhattan at this rate though and also will surpass Sao Paulo is sheer number of buildings over 11 stories soon.
Manhattan have the most buildings over 200m, and most are "clumped" together in 2 areas, what make it more impressive.

For ex. Futian CBD in Shenzhen is about as big in area as Midtown Manhattan, but with all the big parks, wide avenues and huge lowrise buildings (like Convention & Exhibition Center) the number of buildings is much, much lower.

Still... the city with most buildings over 11 stories is actually Moscow... more than Sao Paulo, almost twice than New York even if the vast majority are probably under 20 stories. (while Sao Paulo lack the supertall towers Moscow have, it have more towers in the 20-30 stories region. what make it more massive, while Moscow look almost flat, with some taller towers "popping out")

you can see in the last picture, the bulk of Moscow buildings are those "commie suburbs" with a swarm of buildings around 15 stories high.

Seoul_Korea liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #276
AnmolSingh

Likes (Received): 60

Mumbai

firoz bharmal liked this post
AnmolSingh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2015, 05:57 PM   #277
Pals_RGB
Resigned

Likes (Received): 8054

That picture actually shows only about 1/10 th of the city. By 2020 Mumbai (including Thane) will have around 600-700 completed highrises (100 m+ buildings) but by 2025 the number could easily go above 1000.

One interesting fact many people probably aren't aware of that Mumbai has got the highest number of 50+ fl buildings under construction in the world currently, but since 99% of those are residential towers with a low ceiling height a large chunk of them aren't reported in the international construction sections.
Old December 27th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #278
totaleclipse1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pals_RGB View Post
That picture actually shows only about 1/10 th of the city. By 2020 Mumbai (including Thane) will have around 600-700 completed highrises (100 m+ buildings) but by 2025 the number could easily go above 1000.

One interesting fact many people probably aren't aware of that Mumbai has got the highest number of 50+ fl buildings under construction in the world currently, but since 99% of those are residential towers with a low ceiling height a large chunk of them aren't reported in the international construction sections.
The same is true for 50fl residential towers in China. There are hundreds if not thousands of these buildings completely uncatalogued all over China. For example the Dachong Redevelopment in Shenzhen includes 23 residential skyscrapers between 150m and 196m - yet it is virtually exclusively known for the planned supertall. I would estimate that more than 100 residential skyscrapers are under construction in Shenzhen right now but nobody really cares - even on Galoumi there is only thin coverage.
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:55 PM   #279
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Tianjin also have a "decent" amount of highrises.

Seoul_Korea, totaleclipse1985 liked this post
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2015, 12:50 AM   #280
totaleclipse1985

And that's just Binhai - not the main city