daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #121
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Wow, that a whole lot of assumptions and guesstimates and not a single fact or source presented in your posts, Guaporense.

"If shanghai metro area receives 1 million new residents per year and 60% of them go to highrises (with I think is an exageration)"

The vast majority of the people moving into highrises in Shanghai are hundreds of thousands of current residents trading their apartments in old neighbourhoods or midrise commieblocks for apartments in newly built highrises. On top of that you have all the migrants that come in millions every year to the city.

You're disputing the sources that the_spliff_fairy provides, yet you don't have anything to come up with yourself. Even the "data" on which you base your guesstimates are your own as well (average size of highrise buildings etc.). Your posts are literally covered in numbers, all made up by yourself.

I don't think anyone in this thread has disputed that there for now are more highrise buildings in Sao Paulo than any other city in the world.
These numbers a have not made up:

The 6700 highrises of 11 floors or more number in shanghai in 2005. 500 million square feet of office space in 600 major office buildings in new york (from these 500 million, 280 million sq comes from 350 buildings in midtown, 140 million sq comes from 170 buildings in downtown), the 30/40 thousand highrises in são paulo. The 5500 number comes from emporis.

The 600-800 number of highrises build every year in shanghai comes from the 4100 highrises build in a 5 year period (1999-2004). 4100/5= 820. However since it counts buildings with 11 stories (while highrises should have 12 or more), the number should be smaller, the 600-800 number is guessed from this data.

I want to know how much sq of space is made per year from the 600/800 highrises build every year in shanghai and I think it is not 500 million square feet.
Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2009, 04:02 AM   #122
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6227

Here is Beijing for comparison - and Shanghai is on very similar grounds if not more (its growing faster for one). Also you've over estimated NYC office space methinks:

Bloomberg article from 2006, Nov 1st

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...er=news_index:

"Shanghai built more skyscrapers in 15 years than New York did in a century, Beijing has the equivalent of three Manhattans under construction."

"Beijing, which will host the Olympic Games in 2008, had 99.3 million square meters (1.07 billion square feet) of floor area under construction last year, or about three times the total space in Manhattan, according to Jack Rodman, a Beijing-based partner at Ernst & Young LLP."

on Shanghai:

International Herald Tribune, http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/18/business/boom.

"This year alone, Shanghai will complete towers with more space for living and working than there is in all the office buildings in New York City."
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM   #123
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

They're all eyesores

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM   #124
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Here is Beijing for comparison - and Shanghai is on very similar grounds if not more (its growing faster for one). Also you've over estimated NYC office space methinks:

"Shanghai built more skyscrapers in 15 years than New York did in a century, Beijing has the equivalent of three Manhattans under construction."

"Beijing, which will host the Olympic Games in 2008, had 99.3 million square meters (1.07 billion square feet) of floor area under construction last year, or about three times the total space in Manhattan, according to Jack Rodman, a Beijing-based partner at Ernst & Young LLP."

on Shanghai:

International Herald Tribune, http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/10/18/business/boom.

"This year alone, Shanghai will complete towers with more space for living and working than there is in all the office buildings in New York City."
Then how is that alot if most of NYC is not made of office buildings. This doesnt make any sense because if they said they are gonna make more space for living than all the Office Buildings in NYC doesnt that mean its not alot. I mean most of the offices are in manhattan mostly concentrated between midtown and lower manhattan and buisness districts around the city with mostly residential in the areas in between then hows does it make i more if most buildings in ny are obviously residential. Equivalent of 3 manhattans, this menas an equivalent of about 72 sq miles of the same buildings thats very unhealthy and irratating no architectual difference but whatever.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:29 AM   #125
Guaporense

Quote:

on Shanghai:

1- The only news that you posted that had some real data on construction space is for Beijing, and it is wrong to say that 1.07 billion square feet is "about three times the total space in Manhattan" (whatever this can mean), since only midtown has about 300 million square feet of office space in 350 major buildings (these buildings make only a fraction of total office space in Manhattan). Total office space in Manhattan is several times that area, and total closed build space is several times total office space, total closed build space should be at least several billion square feet.

2- The media normally exaggerate news regarding everything because it attracts more attention.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #126
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

Ok guaporense we understand your point... sao paulo is obviously the winner
how about we discuss the largest ones per continent?
in my opinion:

North America - NYC
South america - Sao paulo
Africa - Cairo? ( i have no idea...)
Europe - Moscow ? instambul?
Asia - Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul
Oceanica - Sydney
what you guys think?
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #127
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Have you got a source for the midtown / Manhattan office space?
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #128
craperskys
kommt nen Mann zum Arzt..

Likes (Received): 53

sao paolo is a winner? in my opinion, more a looser, it's okay to have a skyline with a few nice highrises or in the city core or in a cluster , but not a sick concrete jungle.

basicly unesthetic and oppressively drab and grey.

as the saying goes ... less is more
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #129
Fakroef

Likes (Received): 482

i know, i think sao paulo is sick too, actually is horrible, but the tpoic is about numbers, according to emporis high-rise is a building with 10 floors or more...
Fakroef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:21 AM   #130
RogerioAndrade

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyronin View Post
Thats unlikely, as it would necessitate having nearly all of the metro population living high-rises (which we all know is not the case).
I'd still argue Sao Paulo to have the most high-rises of any city in the world, but a more likely metro-wide figure would be in the 10,000-20,000 range.
Actually, according to official data from the city hall, the city of Sao Paulo has about 23.000 highrises. 30.000 is the number including the metropolitan area.

Last edited by RogerioAndrade; February 6th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
RogerioAndrade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #131
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

Nobody is disputing that Sao Paulo probably has the largest amount of highrise buildings (if using a relatively low cut-off point as the definition of "highrise" - maybe 50-60m or so). But could anyone please provide a source (including the definition of highrise that is used) instead of repeating over and over how many highrises you "estimate" that Sao Paulo has etc.
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #132
DidacXavier
Caçant gamusinos

Likes (Received): 2215

Sorry for the next. Benidorm, Spain, with only 70.000 inhabitants, is impressive (not comparable with Sao Paulo, New York or Shanghai). Is a little city in the coast of Mediterranean Sea. Perhaps, the bigger concentration in Europe:

I know, I know... Is too little. But i think is a little bit of Hong Kong (very little).
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #133
ggonza
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Buenos Aires has also a LOT of ammount of buildings, but not as much as Sao Paulo.
Id say Its like this maybe: (Latin America)
1- Sao Paulo
2- Buenos Aires
3- Mexico City
4- Rio de Janeiro
5- Santiago??
ggonza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #134
Guaporense

Quote:
Have you got a source for the midtown / Manhattan office space?
I have read in some news about the real state market in Manhattan in the internet dated from 1997. The news said that Midtown had 270-280 million square feet of class A office space (don't remember the exact number, but it was around the 275 million), Downtown had 140 million square feet of class A office space. Total in Manhattan was about 500 million sqf of class A office space.

However a did some search about manhattan office space and I found some recent news that said that manhattan has 340 million spf of class A office space. I don't know from where the 160 million sqf difference comes from.

But them these news about Beijing building 3 times Manhattan are true, if you count only class A office space. I don't think that any other city in the world has around 340 million square feet of office space of "class A office space", I think that class A office space is the office space inside large skyscrapers.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:01 AM   #135
ina555

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post
Sorry for the next. Benidorm, Spain, with only 70.000 inhabitants, is impressive (not comparable with Sao Paulo, New York or Shanghai). Is a little city in the coast of Mediterranean Sea. Perhaps, the bigger concentration in Europe:

I know, I know... Is too little. But i think is a little bit of Hong Kong (very little).
wow!
is this really a European city??

just incredible
ina555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 11:48 PM   #136
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Benidorm is amazing - top prizee for small town/highrises per inhabitant?

Bangkok panorama, thanx to Staff for finding this:

SCA-ROLL>>>

www.thailandbilder.se
Old February 18th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #137
ina555

Likes (Received): 40

wow!!
Bangkok looks like Beijing
but has more green land than Beijing
ina555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #138
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

It does, but Beijing has far more highrises in total, due to the massive suburban residential highrise developments. Although, Bangkok's (fewer) highrises are generally taller than Beijing's.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:01 PM   #139
monkeyronin
Mơמkƹ͛ƴ∆ґơɲiɲ

Likes (Received): 876

Quote:
Benidorm is amazing - top prizee for small town/highrises per inhabitant?
It does have the most highrises per capita of any city in the world, according to Emporis. Seems likely enough, considering its 300+ highrises and summer population of over 500,000 (vs. 70,000 permanent inhabitants).
monkeyronin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #140
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2571

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidacXavier View Post

Its more like Recife, Rio and Durban rolled into one.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote