daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #141
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

After doing research ive found out that NYC has more highrises. Just by the pictures everyone has shown witth other cities and pictures ive seen of NYC. Now i know what you are thinking but i carefully looked at every photo counting the floors and contrasting them with buildings in the area i realized nyc has way more than what people think. Emporis is wrong on so many levels. People are mistaking the fact that NYC is more dense and also goes beyond manhattan. But just manhattan is so dense that the build ratio is much more dense than any of those cities. all the buildings are wall to wall righ next to each other and people think that the buildings near midtown are low rises becuase the skyscrapers are above in height giving the lower buildings that appearence.

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #142
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

Do you not think from the massive heights all the big aerials of the cities will show the same effect, where many highrises and midrises are mistaken for lowrises - or don't even show up in the haze. (And hell, not even all of Shanghai has been shown).

Check this out. How many highrises in this pic looking toward the stadium?
[img]http://pro.******************/42-17180345.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B482CBB18-3EE7-4676-98E5-FB298F38666E%7D[/img]

translates to this section on the aerial. Most of the highrises won't even show up in the haze:

And yes, I appreciate NYC is dense, but, so is Shanghai (check it out below, not the foreground but the background). The centre tends to have large swathes of old buildings, so the newer districts outside tend to be denser in Chinese cities.

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 27th, 2009 at 09:56 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #143
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6214

found this pic of the Puxi section of Shanghai - check out the distance

SCROLL>>>

www.eoliveoil.com

Last edited by the spliff fairy; February 27th, 2009 at 09:58 AM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #144
the man from k-town
Frankfurt-Lover <3

Likes (Received): 6781

this city is soo crank!! awesome pics
Old February 27th, 2009, 10:50 PM   #145
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

This is an amazing thread!!

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:10 AM   #146
Guaporense

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Nobody is disputing that Sao Paulo probably has the largest amount of highrise buildings (if using a relatively low cut-off point as the definition of "highrise" - maybe 50-60m or so). But could anyone please provide a source (including the definition of highrise that is used) instead of repeating over and over how many highrises you "estimate" that Sao Paulo has etc.
Well, I didn't find any hard data, but I read some estimates that range from 21 thousand to 45 thousand. I think that 30 thousand is a close number to the real number of highrises in the city.

Also, notice that Brazil is probably the country in the world with the largest number of buildings over 12 floors (the sum of all cities). Well, at least at the present, China is building so fast that in a few years Brazil will be the second place.

Here cities are very verticalized, Curitiba, a city of 1.5 million has over 1,500 buildings, Belo Horizonte, a city of about 4.5 million, has 5-6 thousand buildings.

from BF 364:
Londrina, a city of 0.5 million people has many hundreds of highrises:

from Vargas:
Goiania, a city of less than 1 million:

Guaporense no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM   #147
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Shanghai
image hosted on flickr

source: http://flickr.com/search/?q=shanghai...a&s=int&page=6

image hosted on flickr

source: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/2846977804/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://flickr.com/photos/khedara/set...7611333387576/

Chongqing
image hosted on flickr

source: http://flickr.com/photos/wmliu/248638553/

Last edited by Skybean; March 1st, 2009 at 05:42 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:15 AM   #148
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaporense View Post
Also, notice that Brazil is probably the country in the world with the largest number of buildings over 12 floors (the sum of all cities). Well, at least at the present, China is building so fast that in a few years Brazil will be the second place.
I VERY doubt that...

China have 3-4 times more urban population than entire Brazil, a lot of them living in highrises, most +1 millino people cities are not even known to the world.

And I belive also USA have more highrises than Brazil, but less than China.
luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #149
Guaporense

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I VERY doubt that...

China have 3-4 times more urban population than entire Brazil, a lot of them living in highrises, most +1 millino people cities are not even known to the world.
Well, Brazilian cities tend to have more highrises per population than cities in any other country. For example: Camboriu is a city of less than 100,000 with had 1,023 highrises in 2003, almost the same number that Chicago has!

China has a total urban population of about 500 million, Brazil has a total urban population of 120 million. Now, Shanghai is a city of about the same population as São Paulo, but São Paulo has 30-40 thousand highrises while Shanghai had 6 thousand in 2005. If the proportions apply to the whole country, Brazil has 25% to 65% more highrises than China. Now, since China is building like crazy, in the next 10 years they will probably have more.

Camboriu (from the web):

taken by Alex Vieira da Silva:

Quote:
And I belive also USA have more highrises than Brazil, but less than China.
In the US few people live in highrise buildings. In Brazil most of the population of large cities reside in highrises. And Brazilian highrises are small (average 15 stories with 3-4 apartments per story), with means that we have a loot of them to house the population! In China the average highrise is about 20 story high with a dozen apartments per story, they can house 3 to 4 times the population that the Brazilian average highrise houses.

For god's sake, Chicago is the second city in US in highrises, while Camboriu is a small city with has about the same number of buildings (even if they are much smaller)!
Old March 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #150
Guaporense

More Camboriu, From wikipedia:

Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #151
luci203

Quote:
Now, Shanghai is a city of about the same population as São Paulo, but São Paulo has 30-40 thousand highrises while Shanghai had 6 thousand in 2005. If the proportions apply to the whole country, Brazil has 25% to 65% more highrises than China. Now, since China is building like crazy, in the next 10 years they will probably have more.
1. Shanghai (18mil metro) is smaller in population then São Paulo(21mil metro)

2. Sao Paulo have less than 30-40 thousand highrises, more like 10-20, and Shanghai have more than 6000, (Hong Kong have +7000)
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:19 PM   #152
CityPolice

Likes (Received): 7

im not sure if this is on topic but manhattan has reached population of approximately 2.2 million
Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM   #153
Guaporense

Quote:
1. Shanghai (18mil metro) is smaller in population then São Paulo(21mil metro)
In this same tread Skybean said that Shanghai is larger than São Paulo in population.

Quote:
2. Sao Paulo have less than 30-40 thousand highrises, more like 10-20, and Shanghai have more than 6000, (Hong Kong have +7000)
All data that a have read as official said that São Paulo has between 30 thousand and 45 thousand buildings over 12 stories in the metropolitan area.

Shanghai had (official data) 6700 buildings over 11 stories in late 2004. Cut about 1 thousand buildings with eleven stories (my guess) and we have 5700 buildings.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #154
Guaporense

Example of Brazilian density in highrises

Curitiba, pop. 1.5 million with 1,600 highrises:

taken by Tiger-38
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Fortaleza:
taken by Fortal

Belo Horizonte, maybe the second largest concentration of highrises in Brazil after São Paulo:

first posted by Kaike

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #155
Seattlelife

Likes (Received): 557

Manhattan has one of the most impressive skylines on Earth but Shanghai and Sao Paulo are in a world all their own when it comes to number of towers!!!

Sonicsgate, a must see! Just click and watch.
http://www.sonicsgate.org/
Seattlelife no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:40 AM   #156
Guaporense

Some cool photos of São Paulo

source: user Fortal

source: user Brandi
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #157
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

I love how all the SP buildings are different or at worst in pairs. Shanghai's burbs seem to be following the Korean model where they build an estate with several similar buildings. The flats are lovely, but the effect on the skyline is a bit drab. Luckily Sh has a lot of good taller buildings aswell to break it up a bit. Parts of Seoul (even worse is Incheon) look like whole suburbs have been stamped out of the same block...
Seoul must be another candidate for this thread actually. It covers a much bigger area than Shanghai and most of that is 10 floors plus.
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #158
luci203

Quote:
All data that a have read as official said that São Paulo has between 30 thousand and 45 thousand buildings over 12 stories in the metropolitan area.
Well not ALL... Emporis, say it have 5,612 highrises.

I know Emporis is "famous" for lack of data in somme areas, but I doubt they miss out 80% of them.

Could you post a viable link for that data?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
Nobody is disputing that Sao Paulo probably has the largest amount of highrise buildings. But could anyone please provide a source (including the definition of highrise that is used) instead of repeating over and over how many highrises you "estimate" that Sao Paulo has etc.
Emporis is the no.1 site for skyscrapers, very acurate data for Europe, North America or Dubai. Not so great for China or Brazil, but still... from 45.000 to 5.600 is a Loooong way. Not to mention that brazilian highrises are older than the chinese ones, so they had enough time to colect data.

So I have to asky you AGAIN:
Please provide a source that say it have 30-45k. I found one, and say it have 5.600 (you say ALL)

Last edited by luci203; March 4th, 2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM   #159
Guaporense

Quote:
Well not ALL... Emporis, say it have 5,612 highrises.

I know Emporis is "famous" for lack of data in somme areas, but I doubt they miss out 80% of them.

Could you post a viable link for that data?
In the Brasilian forum a read that São Paulo's administration conducted a research on number of highrises and found out that the city had 40.000 highrises over 12 stories.

Emporis works on voluntary work to catalogue buildings. Their statistics are a work in progress. Since only the most memorable buildings tend to be cataloged first, cities with a loot of residential highrises like São Paulo show not tendency of being fully cataloged. All Brasilian cities have severy underestimated numbers for highrises:

São Paulo has 40,000 and Emporis says it has 5,600. Camburiu has 1,023 (in 2003!) and emporis says it has 248. In China theirs numbers are weak too: Shanghai has more than 5.700 buildings over 12 stories and emporis has only 1 thousand cataloged.

Quote:
Emporis is the no.1 site for skyscrapers, very acurate data for Europe, North America or Dubai. Not so great for China or Brazil, but still... from 45.000 to 5.600 is a Loooong way. Not to mention that brazilian highrises are older than the chinese ones, so they had enough time to colect data.

So I have to asky you AGAIN:
Please provide a source that say it have 30-45k. I found one, and say it have 5.600 (you say ALL)
Emporis on Shanghai:

Has 979 highrises cataloged:
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/bu/sk/?id=100213

But:

"At the end of 2004, Shanghai had 6,704 buildings of 11 or more stories which were completed since 1990, according to reports by the city of Shanghai."

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/ci/?id=shanghai-china

That should finish emporis's numbers for ya!

On São Paulo I read this coment in the Brasilian foruns:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcesHigh View Post
o Cello uma vez disse q ele conseguiu uma lista, com uma amiga q trabalhava na prefeitura de SP, com todos prédios acima de 12 andares na cidade. Eram 48 mil prédios.

Entretanto ele nunca apresentou a lista e há dúvidas sobre a veracidade da afirmação.

Se ele realmente tivesse tal lista, devia ter mandado pro Brasil Guy, que poderia adicionar todos prédios no Emporis.
He said that one guy that had a friend in São Paulo's municipal administration had a complete list on São Paulo's buildings over 12 stories, the list said that São Paulo has 48 thousand buildings over 12 stories but the veracity of the information is questionable.
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #160
luci203

I still don't see any link... just somme guy/girl statement.

About Emporis:

I know Shanghai data is very uncomplete. But a lot of those buildings where built in the last 10 years, while Sao Paulo had the masive highrise boom in the 70's and 80's

I doubt the data from Brasil is so uncomplete as for the chinese "new" cities.