daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 8th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #21
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 58

He can bugger off.

As a Wednesday fan I know theres at least 2 memorials around the ground where people can pay their respects 24/7. Why should SWFC pay for another one?

Inside the stadium isn't a good place either, its a hassle to get to and will never let the stadium move on from the event. What has blighted a really good English stadium.

Sponsored Links

Old April 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #22
Steel City Suburb

Hillsborough disaster anniversary

Tomorrow will be the 20th year to the day since English footballs worst disaster, what unfortunatley killed 96 people and left 100's if not 1000's of lives in Liverpool, Nottingham and Sheffield changed for ever.

UK readers:
There is a documentry on the History channel at 8pm.
Live radio from the ceremony at Hillsborugh is on BBC Radio 5 live tomorrow.
A 2 minutes silence will be held at 3:06pm tomorrow.

For non-UK readers.
Please watch the following video. It has 7 parts although getting to part 3 was hard from part 2. I assure you its there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtRs-3jQmf8
Old April 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #23
Ben Nuttall

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethefuture View Post
image hosted on flickr

Ben Nuttall (flickr)
Hey - that's my picture! Nice one! I just came across this thread from a search.

It's a good picture, I just happened to be in a wicked viewpoint high up. Shame about the cables but they don't block too much of the picture.

The picture is located here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bennuttall/1027425015/

You can view and/or download a variety of sizes, even the original 2592 x 1944 size (and you are welcome to do so) by clicking 'All Sizes'.

Oh and I'm a SWFC fan myself.
Ben Nuttall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #24
wearethefuture

Likes (Received): 23

Hello Ben, i thought it was a great pic so i posted it on here, really good vantage point to view the stadium, glad you don't mind.

Having had a look over on the footballgroundguide.co.uk forum i came across which i thought was interesting, posted by 'kivoowl' ;

"The SWFC Business Plan - Part Four
Posted on: Fri 15 May 2009
In the fourth section of the Sheffield Wednesday Business Plan we outline proposals to develop Hillsborough Stadium and improve the fan's experience with the club.

Stadium Development
Sheffield Wednesday boasts one of the biggest and most impressive stadiums in English football with a history to be envied, having hosted numerous international matches and countless FA Cup semi finals. However, Hillsborough is in need of some significant upgrades which are outlined below.

Pitch Improvement
Following the flood of June 2007, the Hillsborough pitch was re-turfed but this was a stop-gap measure to make the surface playable ahead of the 2007/08 season. To provide a more stable pitch, re-seeding is necessary but this was not possible in 2008 due to the limited budget made available to the head groundsman, Steve Kiddy.

This year the club is able to move on from low level maintenance of the turf to spending an increased sum on a complete renovation of the pitch. An increased proportion of Fibresand - graded silica sand reinforced by synthetic fibres - and complete re-seeding will provide a more stable pitch for future years. This will allow the pitch to be more easily maintained, providing the first team a desirable surface on which to play attractive, passing football.

Similar improvements will be made to the pitches at the training ground.

Fan Facilities
The club is currently in a process of reviewing all facilities with a view to making improvements throughout Hillsborough, providing a more 'fan friendly' experience on matchdays and non-matchdays. Developments which can be made in the short term (subject to feasibility) are being prioritised in order to make noticeable positive changes to the stadium environment ahead of the 2009/10 season.

Proposed improvements include the introduction of quick-pour beer systems in all areas of the ground, subject to approval from the Safety Advisory Group and licensing authorities. This is aimed at reducing queuing times on the concourse and improving bar facilities.

We also plan to reposition concourse televisions to optimum viewing locations within the North and South Stands, as well as refurbishing corporate areas and possibly introducing air conditioning/heating in the Foers Lounge.

>> North Stand Development
During the summer of 2009, the North Stand will be refurbished to provide a new family area in the lower section with better access for children and parents. This includes the introduction of recreation rooms for children of different age groups and a distinct family area within the seating area of the North Stand.

>> South Stand Development
Moving the family area to the North Stand allows the Grandstand on the upper level of the South Stand to be used as a fan bar. Concourse bars will also be opened earlier pre-match and reopened after the match. This will improve the matchday experience, promoting a more gradual exit from the stadium and providing an 'SWFC pub' environment.

Food and beer products are also being reviewed with a view to providing a greater range of products for the coming season. The South Stand will therefore provide a premium fan experience.

>> Kop Development
The club is investigating a number of ways to improve the environment on The Kop. The most obvious change to this stand ahead of next season will be the installation of a new Sheffield Wednesday club crest on the exterior of the stadium, which will greatly enhance the appearance of the stadium from the outside and help strengthen our brand.

>> West Stand Development
Four additional turnstiles will be introduced to the West Stand allowing greater flexibility for home and away fan placement at Hillsborough. This will make it easier to switch allocations of fans between the upper and lower tiers. The club will also be re-opening the North West corner of the stadium for the 2009/10 season, providing a different viewing perspective on Hillsborough matches.

Stadium Upkeep
It is quite apparent that several parts of the club's property need a lick of paint or a general clean up. While this may take some time to complete, stadium upkeep is an important aspect of improving the perception of the club and our brand. Certain clean-up programmes are likely to be volunteer driven as we seek to improve our surroundings for the benefit of everyone who comes to Hillsborough Stadium.

Training Ground
Likewise, the training ground at Middlewood Road is in need of some 'TLC' and general refurbishment. Long-term we aim to develop the facilities at the training ground to provide first class support for the academy and first team through the increased budgets outlined earlier in this business plan.

System Upgrades
The club recognises the importance of upgrading essential systems such as ticketing and retail and have secured new operational arrangements which will be outlined in full detail by the club ahead of next season.

Barcode Entry and E-ticketing
The introduction of barcode entry turnstiles means that season ticket holders will be able to gain access to the stadium with credit card type tickets. Matchday tickets will also carry barcodes for the new turnstile entry system and there will be the option to buy tickets online and print them off at home, the barcode on home-printed tickets being read at the turnstiles thus minimising queuing at the stadium.

In addition, Members' and season ticket holders' cards will act as Loyalty Cards, allowing supporters to gain points from external organisations to use with Sheffield Wednesday.

Integrated Systems
Systems currently being used by the club are disparate and therefore the club has secured the service of new cutting edge computer systems which will be integrated across the club's various operations. This will be installed throughout the business to produce a network of systems which all talk to each other. The major benefits for our supporters will be the ability to access all of Sheffield Wednesday's services and products through one internet portal.

Part Four In Summary
The main focus of this section of the business plan is to provide a top level supporter experience at Hillsborough from the first point of contact (ie purchasing a ticket) through to an improved matchday experience and culminating in the club being accessible to fans 24-7. Structural developments to the stadium will enhance the experience for everyone using Hillsborough but it is essential to back this up with fully integrated computer systems to ensure our supporters are able to access the products they want from the club when they want them, as easily as possible.

Scope for structural stadium developments will increase through a higher uptake in season ticket sales and matchday attendances year-on-year and/or with fresh investment. Development of systems will help the club widen revenue streams and this will have the knock-on effect of allowing a more wholesale redevelopment of the stadium. Ultimately, Sheffield Wednesday is in a strong position to be part of a 2018 World Cup bid, with one of the biggest stadiums in our region and England as a whole. There is serious potential to improve the stadium further in this timescale and Hillsborough has the added benefits of good transport links, which would certainly assist in such a bid.
"
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:43 AM   #25
wearethefuture

Also posted on the footballgroundguide.co.uk forum by 'kivoowl' ('taken by a friend') and suggested they were posted on here ;

..and the whole gallery here: http://img14.imageshack.us/gal.php?g...heffieldwe.jpg
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:34 AM   #26
Ganis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

how do you get the image to look like that?

Ganis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #27
CharlieP

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
That's a wicked photo - did it use tilt-shift?
Old May 26th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #28
wearethefuture

Yes it looks like a tilt-shift effect, probably done in Photoshop as opposed to using a tilt-shift lens which can be rather expensive.

Slightly off topic but here is a couple of rather impressive tilt-shift videos: http://gizmodo.com/5060074/amazing-t...ians-of-us-all
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #29
Steel City Suburb

The owl has gone on the Kop and is now being replaced with the full club crest.

Old August 19th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #30
Steel City Suburb

HILLSBOROUGH STADIUM REDEVELOPMENT.

Today plans have been announced for the redevelopment of Hillsborough by Sheffield Wednesday FC. These improvements ARE NOT dependant on the England 2018 World cup bid. This stadium is a bidding stadium in a bidding city.

New Leppings Lane End;

Other Images;
http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/Gallery/0...759622,00.html

Planning permission will be applied for soon.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #31
Luke80

Likes (Received): 1

So...
1. Filling in the corner of the north and kop stands
2. Taking the pillars off the kop stand and adding an arch to the roof
3. Adding another tier on the west stand.

Does the NW corner currently have seating which will be demolished?

Wikipedia says the NW corner will have a 4-storey tower, in 2016 the stadium will be increased to 50,000 and construction will start in November 2009. Does anyone know if any of these are true or are they outdated proposals? (I would guess the last one is because they don't have planning permission yet!)

You can get a 360 degree view of Hillsborough >here<. I think it would be a shame to lose the way the roofs of all 4 stands join together, but if they are adding a tier then I guess that stand will have to become detached. That said, it would be nice to keep the NW seating and put a roof over it to include it with the rest of the north stand and join it onto the new West stand.

One good thing is, even with the new developments, this will still be a proper english football ground.

Last edited by Luke80; August 19th, 2009 at 01:19 PM.
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #32
Steel City Suburb

The mentioned on Wikipedia is not true I don't think.

The NWC will not be touched I don't think, only the outside concourses will be.
Old August 19th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #33
Luke80

Likes (Received): 1

Sorry, hadn't finished editing!
Luke80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #34
SSE

It's a nice picture, but I still don't see how it happens. Wednesday are 22million in debt, and this proposal would cost that amount again. They talk about how they will pay for it out of 'increased revenue' but where is that coming from? Didn't the club fall short in it's target for season ticket sales? I know they could get grants for the educational facilities they'd be adding but I just don't see how they can afford it.
SSE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #35
bing222

Likes (Received): 7

Really nice stadium

2010-11

SYDNEY FC CHAMPIONS

2005-06
2010-11
bing222 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #36
Steel City Suburb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE View Post
It's a nice picture, but I still don't see how it happens. Wednesday are 22million in debt, and this proposal would cost that amount again. They talk about how they will pay for it out of 'increased revenue' but where is that coming from? Didn't the club fall short in it's target for season ticket sales? I know they could get grants for the educational facilities they'd be adding but I just don't see how they can afford it.
We will first improve the North stand, with 17 new boxes at £20k+ a season. Those revenues will go straight into redevelopment. The club is also expanding revenue streams.

We do not have to re-pay the debt at all at the moment, we can simply service it - The bank are happy with that. The club needs to invest to get back into the premier league, the bank knows this and they will get re-paid once we are there.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:36 PM   #37
Steel City Suburb

http://planningdocs.sheffield.gov.uk...r=09/02599/FUL

Planning Documents.
Old September 6th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #38
sosk

Likes (Received): 2

any improvements to the leppings lane end is welcome in my opinion.
sosk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #39
Steel City Suburb

Local Area Board Report;

INTRODUCTION

Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United are working closely with Sheffield City Council to promote Sheffield as a host City for the 2018 Football World Cup.

Sheffield Wednesday are proposing improvements to their stadium to increase the community use of the stadium and also upgrade the facilities to be FIFA compliant.

LOCATION AND PROPOSAL

Hillsborough Football Stadium is situated to the north of Sheffield City centre within a fairly densely built up urban area. The pitch runs in an approximately east –west direction, surrounded by stands of various ages. The site is bounded to the north by rows of traditional terraced properties with dwellings on Vere Road in very close proximity. To the east the ground is confined by the A61 - Penistone Road. This is a strategic highway and main route into the City. To the south and west the ground is bounded by the River Don. Also to the west is Leppings Lane.

The site is the home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club which is one of the oldest professional football clubs in the world. The stadium boasts the first cantilever stand to run the full length of the pitch (the North Stand), which was constructed in 1961. The ground has also played host to international football matches in both the 1966 World Cup and 1996 European Championship.

The site is identified on the Unitary Development Plan Proposals Map as being within a Mixed Use Area and is also within Flood Zone 3.

To meet the requirements of FIFA for the 2018 World Cup the stadium would need to increase in capacity. FIFA require around 45,000 seats with unrestricted views of the pitch (40,000 seats for the general public and 5,000 for press and VIP’s). At present the stadium holds over 38,000 people, however there are pillars obstructing the view from some of these seats.

To increase the capacity and to provide enhanced learning and community facilities, planning permission is sought for alterations and extensions to the stadium. In brief the proposed development would comprise:

- The erection of a three-storey building to the rear of the North Stand, between the stand and properties on Vere Road.
- The erection of a sizeable steel structure over the roof above the Kop (Eastern stand), to allow for existing pillars to be removed, thereby providing unrestricted views.
- Infilling the North Eastern corner of the ground between the North Stand and the Kop to provide more seating.
- Major extension of the Western Stand, increasing the height of this stand, adding an upper level of seating and providing a new roof over this stand. A new class room would also be provided within the existing West Stand structure.

Public realm works would also be undertaken to improve the landscaping around the ground and to provide an open piazza between the ground and Penistone Road.

The unfinished area to the rear of the North Western part of the stand would also be tidied up and clad.

The proposed alterations would be carried out on a phased basis. Whilst the proposed works are necessary in order for the ground to be compliant with FIFA’s requirements for the World Cup, the club have stated that the works would be carried out regardless of what happens with the 2018 bid.

RELEVANT PLANNING HISTORY

The stadium has been the subject of numerous planning applications over the years. The most recent applications of note have been in the early 1990’s when planning permission was granted for the reconstruction and enlargement of the South Stand and for the provision of a footbridge over the River Don.

SUMMARY OF REPRESENTATIONS

8 letters and emails of representation have been received.

One email is in support of the application stating that the proposed development would improve the spectator experience and provide the area with a landmark building.

The remaining 7 letters and emails raise the following issues:

Car parking is a problem within the area, particularly on match days. The increased capacity of the ground would be likely to worsen this situation. The enhanced community use would also result in more traffic.

The erection of a three-storey building to the rear of the North Stand would result in a loss of light to the properties on Vere Road.

The proposal would result in increased noise and disturbance for occupiers of neighbouring residential properties.

The increase in capacity may result in increased litter.

Violent incidents and damage to property have occurred in the past. The proposed development may increase the likelihood of this occurring in the future.

One email raises concerns that the development may affect television reception.

PLANNING ASSESSMENT
Policy

The Stadium is situated within the ‘Hillsborough Mixed Use Area’ in the UDP to which policy MU4 applies. The policy shows that the proposed uses are acceptable and the reasons for the policy state that if the Stadium is improved then 'the most should be made of development opportunities that arise whilst ensuring that living conditions are not harmed for people living nearby'.

Policy MU11 – Conditions on Development in Mixed Use Areas sets out that within such areas new development will be permitted provided that it would amongst other things:

- preserve or create variety in the character of the neighbourhood;
- not cause residents or visitors to suffer from unacceptable living conditions;
- be well designed and of a scale and nature appropriate to the site;
- be served adequately by transport facilities and provide safe access to the highway network and appropriate off-street parking.

UDP Policy LR2 New Leisure Uses and Facilities is also applicable. This policy states that new leisure uses and facilities, and improvements to existing ones, will be promoted, particularly where they would be easily accessible by public transport. All new leisure developments or improvements to existing facilities will be expected to be accessible for people with disabilities or with young children.

Policies contained within the Sheffield Development Framework also need to be taken into account. Of particular relevance are Policies CS64, CS65 and CS67of the Core Strategy.

Policy CS64 – Climate Change, Resources and Sustainable Design of Developments sets out that all new buildings must be designed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and function in a changing climate All developments will be required to:

a. achieve a high standard of energy efficiency; and

b. make the best use of solar energy, passive heating and cooling, natural light, and natural ventilation; and

c. minimise the impact upon existing renewable energy installations, and produce renewable energy to compensate for any loss in generation from existing installations as a result of the development.

All new buildings and conversions of existing buildings must be designed to use resources sustainably. This includes, but is not limited to:

d. minimising water consumption and maximising water re-cycling;

e. re-using existing buildings and vacant floors wherever possible;

f. designing buildings flexibly from the outset to allow a wide variety of possible future uses;

g. using sustainable materials wherever possible and making the most sustainable use of other materials;

h. minimising waste and promoting recycling, during both construction and
occupation.

Policy CS 65 - Renewable Energy and Carbon Reduction sets out that unless this can be shown not to be feasible and viable, all significant development will be required to:

a. provide a minimum of 10% of their predicted energy needs from decentralised and renewable or low carbon energy.
b. Generate further renewable or low carbon energy or incorporate design measures sufficient to reduce the development’s overall predicted carbon dioxide emissions by 20%. This would include the decentralised and renewable or low carbon energy required to satisfy (a).

The renewable or low carbon energy technologies must be operational before any new or converted buildings are occupied.

If it can be demonstrated that the required reduction in carbon emissions cannot be met through decentralised renewable or low carbon energy and / or design and specification measures, a contribution towards an off-site carbon reduction scheme may be acceptable.

Policy CS 67 - Flood Risk Management states that the extent and impact of flooding will be reduced by:

a. requiring that all developments significantly limit surface water run-off;

b. requiring the use of Sustainable Drainage Systems or sustainable drainage
techniques on all sites where feasible and practicable;

c. promoting sustainable drainage management,

Assessment

The proposed scheme will be assessed on a stand by stand basis starting with the North Stand

North Stand

The application seeks to erect a three-storey building to the rear of the North Stand (this is the 1961 cantilevered stand). The new building would be positioned between the stand and the residential properties on Vere Road.

At present there is a single-storey building with a pitched roof on this part of the site that is used as a shop and gym. The new building would accommodate a store selling Sheffield Wednesday merchandise on the ground floor and two floors of accommodation to be used as a learning and enterprise zone on the floors above. This would allow the club to expand its existing community learning programmes.

Above the building, attached to the stand a row of 17 boxes are proposed. These would slot between the trusses of the cantilevered roof structure and would appear to float above the new building. These boxes have been designed so as not to interfere with the mechanics of the cantilevered stand. The boxes would be for community use and would open onto the stand with a view of the pitch.

Design

The building has been designed to maximise the space behind the North Stand whilst trying not to impinge upon the occupiers of the residential properties to the rear on Vere Road.

The proposed building would be curved with the part closest to Vere Road having a ‘saw toothed’ edge. This allows the main bulk of the building to be clad with obscure panels and smaller strips of glazing on the ‘teeth’ facing away from the properties on Vere Road. This will assist in providing natural light into the building whilst preventing overlooking.

Part of the roof would be glazed with and an atrium and clerestory lighting assisting in providing natural light within the building. Part of the roof would also be planted to create a green roof which would assist in the green credential of the development as well as providing a valuable teaching resource (there would be no access onto the roof except for maintenance purposes, however it would be able to be viewed from a platform within the building).

The building would be clad predominantly with light coloured kingspan panels with areas of glazing breaking up the overall mass. Part of the building would be picked out in zinc cladding which would assist in defining the entrance into the learning and enterprise zone. The floating boxes would also be zinc clad.

It is considered that the building has been well designed and would be a great improvement on the building that currently occupies the site. The proposed building would contribute positively to the character and appearance of the area.

Amenity Issues

Of major concern has been the impact that the development would have upon occupiers of Vere Road. The boundary of these terraced properties with the football club is only 12.5m. As already mentioned there is an existing building to the rear of the North Stand. At its closest point the corner of this building is 17m from the nearest dwelling on Vere Road. The existing building is single-storey (5m to the eaves) but given the deep plan of the building the pitched roof is fairly high – 9m at the ridge.

At its closest point the proposed new building would be 16.5m from the nearest residential property on Vere Road, however as the new building would have a flat roof this part of the proposed building would be 11.5m high. At present the ground looms over the properties on Vere Road and it is considered that the new building would not be any more overbearing than the existing situation.

As mentioned above the building has been designed to prevent overlooking from occurring with no windows facing directly onto Vere Road. Sunlight paths have also been submitted so that overshadowing issues can be looked into.

These plans indicate that a degree of overshadowing would be inevitable, however the level of overshadowing would not be significantly worse than the existing situation, given the proximity of the dwellings to the stadium. During the summer months the level of overshadowing from the building would be negligible. In the spring and autumn some overshadowing would occur and in the winter months the level of overshadowing would be greater, however this would not be particularly greater than the levels of overshadowing that already exists on surrounding streets.

It is considered that the benefits of the proposed development in terms of the improvements that would be made to the appearance of the area and provision of a valuable community facility would outweigh the harm that may be caused by an element of overshadowing from the development. Incidentally only 2 letters of representation were received from occupiers of properties on Vere Road.

North East Corner

Alongside the erection of the new building permission is also sought for the infilling of the North Eastern corner between the North Stand and the Kop (East stand). This would appear as a continuation of the Kop and would be clad in the same materials. Elements of glazing would be incorporated within the stair core and concourse that would assist in animating this part of the building as well as adding some interest. This part of the building would be seen from Penistone Road. To access this part of the stand a new external staircase and walkway would be provided. It is considered that this part of the proposed development would not have an adverse impact upon the character and appearance of the area. This part of the stadium is set away from neighbouring residential properties and so would not raise any amenity concerns.

North West Corner

The North Western corner of the North Stand has an unfinished appearance with pieces of rusting steel protruding from the building. The stand was left in this condition on the off-chance that this part of the stadium would be further developed and extended into the back gardens of properties on Vere Road. Permission is sought to now tidy up this corner, removing the protruding elements of metal work and cladding the rear of the building. The existing concrete structure would be externally expressed to preserve the ‘honesty’ of the building. It is considered that this would greatly enhance the appearance of the ground and would vastly improve the outlook of the residents of properties on Vere Road.

Kop (East Stand)

The existing roof over the Kop is supported by a number of steel pillars. Whilst serving a function the pillars obstruct views of the pitch. Given the site constraints an interesting engineering solution has evolved. Permission is sought for the erection of a sizeable steel truss that would overspan the existing roof. This would be supported on each side by externally expressed gantry, allowing for the existing pillars to be removed.

The proposed truss would be likely to be the longest single span girder in the country. The proposal would not result in the roof being any higher than it is at present, however the girder would rise 11.5m above the roof.

The principle of this part of the development is deemed to be acceptable. The proposal would not have an adverse impact upon the character and appearance of the area and the scale and massing would not be detrimental to the amenity of occupiers of neighbouring dwellings or businesses within the area.

When the application went before the Design Review Panel it was questioned whether the proposed girder and its supports were iconic enough. It is thereby recommended that should planning permission be granted, a condition be attached to the consent to enable the design of this element of the building to be investigated further.

Stadium Control

Between the Kop and South Stand it is proposed to erect a Stadium Control pod. This would be elevated on stilts between the two stands with the main access from the offices in the South Stand. This would be a place for the police, stadium managers and other safety operatives to convene and keep an eye on happenings during match days.

It is considered that this part of the scheme would not have an adverse impact upon the character or appearance of the building or the wider area.

South Stand

The South Stand of the stadium was redeveloped relatively recently and so no changes are proposed to this stand other than tidying up signage and some areas of cladding.

West Stand

The West Stand would be the subject of two phases of development. Initially it is proposed that the void to the rear of the existing stand be developed with a large classroom area. This would allow the clubs existing teaching programme to be expanded with better facilities for the users. On match days this area could also be used as a corporate function area. The proposed classroom would be hi-tech and the applicants have stated that this would be likely to be the largest classroom in the country if not in Europe.

An existing area of panelling within the stand would be removed thereby giving the new classroom views out onto the pitch. The area of seating in front of this part of the stand would be altered to give a better viewing angle and enhance disabled viewing platforms would be created. These alterations would not impact upon the external appearance of the ground.

In a later phase a new upper level of seating is proposed. This would be of a steeper rake than the lower levels of seating and would in part be positioned above the lower level. In order to accommodate the additional seating the rear of the stand would need to be built further back – approximately in line with the existing turnstiles next to the car park off Leppings Lane, and the stand would be increased in height. At present this stand is 18m at its highest. The rear elevation of the proposed West Stand would be 27m in height and the girder of the roof would be 30m in height, although this would be set in from the rear elevation.

The roof over the enlarged West Stand would be chamfered in from the sides, thereby reducing overshadowing and would be supported by externally expressed gantry on either side in a similar fashion to the proposed support for the roof over the Kop.

In order to break up the appearance of this elevation from Leppings Bridge (and to prevent the building from looking like a large retail store) the structure of the building would be externally expressed. The sizeable concrete pillars needed to hold up the building would be visible as would the underneath of the seats. This would give the stand an imposing scale when viewed from beneath, heightening the spectator experience.

Areas of cladding would break up the mass of the building when viewed from further back as would the stair cores (which would incorporate areas of glazing), and areas of louvres concealing plant and equipment. The existing Sheffield Wednesday neon sign would be re-used and a roundel with the clubs logo erected beneath.

It is considered that the design of this stand would enhance the feeling of having arrived at a major sporting destination. The proposed extension to the West Stand would not adversely impact upon the character and appearance of the area and it is considered that the increase in height would not significantly harm the amenity of occupiers of neighbouring properties.

Public Realm and Public Art

As well as alterations to the stadium permission is also sought for public realm improvements. At present the stadium is separated from Penistone Road by a high blue metal fence. This is not particularly attractive.

It is proposed that this fencing be removed in the north eastern corner of the site and an open piazza created. At present this area is laid out as a car park in front of the Wednesday Megastore. It is proposed that the existing high fencing be removed in this location and replaced with retractable bollards.

This would give a more open and welcoming feel whilst ensuring that access could be maintained in the event of an emergency. There would then be the opportunity for some tree planting along the Penistone Road frontage as well as the provision of seating and hard landscaping of the area in front of the new building. New turnstiles would also be created within this area and it is proposed that the area beyond the turnstiles be separated from the newly created open space by way of a low wall with custom built railings on top. These could be designed by a local artist or community group and would provide the development with an element of public art.

It is considered that these improvements would enhance the appearance of the ground, making it appear more accessible and would also improve the appearance of this major route into the city.

As a result of the development several mature trees would have to be removed along the boundary of the site with Vere Road. In the past residents have asked for these trees to be taken down in order to provide more light to their properties. Replacement tree planting is to be undertaken along the Penistone Road frontage as well as improvements to the scruffy area that is populated by trees to the rear of the South Eastern corner of the Kop.

The existing trees along the riverside will remain largely unaffected by the proposed development with the exception of a cluster of trees in the south western corner which will need to be removed to make way for the extension to the West Stand.

It is recommended that, should planning permission be granted, a condition be attached to the consent requiring the provision of a detailed landscaping scheme indicating the treatment of both hard and soft landscaping areas around the stadium.

Sustainable Measures

The Design and Access Statement submitted with the applications sets out that the project aspires to achieve a BREEAM rating of at least ‘very good’. The new building to the rear of the North Stand has been designed to be naturally lit and ventilated wherever possible and glazed areas have been incorporated into the stair wells and concourses on some of the other stands to reduce the need for artificial light.

Exterior solar shading is also to be incorporated to sensitive elevations as well as rainwater harvesting which will be used through the site for internal services as well as the pitch sprinkler system.

A green roof is to be provided over part of the new building and the club are currently looking to install solar PV panels to the South Stand.

The adaptation and extension of the existing stadium is also more sustainable in terms of materials than knocking it down and starting again.

It is thereby considered that at this stage the proposed development satisfies the requirements of Core Strategy Policies CS64 and CS65.

Highways

The highways deliberations in considering this application have focussed on working with SWFC to improve current travel habits to and from the stadium and to ensure that any Council sponsored transport schemes/initiatives in the area would not be compromised by the proposed increased capacity.

The main headings have been: travel planning; traffic management on match days; permit parking scheme for local residents; match day parking; any potential impact on the A61 Smart Route; role of the PTE; & riverside cycle/walkways.

Travel Plan

A framework travel plan has been submitted, with an assistant operations manager already appointed by Sheffield Wednesday to roll it out. The Travel Plan contains a number of initiatives aimed at encouraging fans to cycle to matches; reduced parking prices for cars with 4+ people; partnership with Supertram to encourage increased use; introduction of Park & Ride partner schemes (already in action with Longley College, but actively looking for additional partners);and education/training that promotes the health benefits of sustainable travel.

SWFC currently believe that over 40% of the match day attendance walk to the ground from their homes, with 30% using public transport, and the remainder using their cars or car sharing. The travel planning will entail surveys being conducted to establish a strong database of transport modes. Once the baseline data has been gathered, on-going surveys will be conducted, with a review of the success of the different initiatives implemented. The travel plan will continually evolve, carrying all the stakeholder groups with it. It will also embrace the training ground.

Traffic Management

Traffic management on match days probably has the biggest impact on the local residents. An experimental Traffic Regulation Order allows for a prohibition of driving along Leppings Lane and Catch Bar Lane when there’s a football match. Residents have 6 months (from 13/08/2009) to object. Visiting coaches are parked on Leppings Lane or Clay Wheels Lane depending on the number of coaches attending. The prohibition of driving creates a safe pedestrian environment for the arrival and dispersment of crowds. The cones are put out by the Club. However, residents immediately to the north (Vere Road, Fielding Road, Bickerton Road, Leake Road, Farndale Road, Eskdale Road & Shenstone Road) feel the cones are put out too soon, and left in place for too long. SWFC have arranged a number of meetings with the residents, and have agreed to seek some training/input from the Police to more professionally fine tune the traffic management arrangements.

Parking

During the above-mentioned meetings with local residents, the subject of permit parking schemes has been discussed. In the past, residents have complained of SWFC staff parking all day on the side streets, a problem compounded when there’s a match and supporters start arriving. The staff problem has receded since these initial meetings took place. However, SWFC has agreed to fund the initial setting up of a residents permit parking scheme (which most residents seem to favour), subject to the usual public consultation, and statutory procedures. As with the travel plan, this could be secured by the imposition of a planning condition.

Match day car parking consist of: Directors car park 19; Main car park South Stand 53; North Stand car park would disappear if planning permission is granted; Hillsborough School car park 70; Hillsborough Park car park 252; Rawson Spring car park 120; Bitstock Road car park 40; Wednesdayite car park 1000, with provision for 3000. SWFC, Wednesdayite & Tesco are in discussion to formalize the triangle site. Sheffield City Council is also exploring some partnership working, with possibilities for a week day Park & Ride.

The loss of car parking from within the application site boundary to accommodate the development proposal (given the implementation of a travel plan, introduction of residents permit parking scheme, and improved match day traffic management arrangements) is not considered sufficient grounds to recommend refusal of the application. In addition to the Tesco land, the travel plan is identifying new Park & Ride partnership schemes potentially with Hillsborough College and other sites.

A61 Smart Route Project

The proposed ground improvements/expansion does not compromise development of the A61 Penistone Road Smart Route Project. This project, which is mainly aimed at tackling weekday congestion, has been discussed with SWFC and there will be further discussions during 2010 as it progresses.

Role of PTE

The main railway station is the Midland Station on Sheaf Street, from where spectators travel to the ground on buses or Supertram. There’s also a train station at Meadowhall, where again Supertram can be caught to Leppings Lane. The main bus corridor is along the A61, from the City Centre, to Chapeltown & Barnsley to the north. The travel plan will seek closer working relationships with the PTE & stagecoach to improve services where possible.

Riverside Walk

SWFC are believed to be the riparian owners to the centre of the River Don as it flows past the South Stand. Sheffield City Council has a policy of opening up the banks of rivers for walking/cycling purposes when development opportunities allow. However, the practicalities of providing a route along the SWFC river bank appear extremely challenging, though the Club have said that any of their land that might be required to accommodate a future route would be dedicated to the City Council at no cost, if/when a scheme goes ahead. It is recommended that this be covered by condition. When the South Stand was redeveloped, SWFC contributed £30,000 towards riverside walking/cycle schemes. This has been spent developing master plans and implementing walking/cycle schemes on other sections of the River Don.

In light of all of the above, subject to the imposition of the recommended conditions, there are no highway objections to the development proposal.

Flood Risk

The site is identified as being within an area of medium and high flood risk. A Flood Risk Assessment has been undertaken by the applicants and this has been scrutinised by the Environment Agency.

The Environment Agency have raised no objections to the proposed development and have suggested two conditions to be attached to any consent. These would require development to be carried out in accordance with the submitted FRA and measures to be implemented to reduce rainwater run-off as well as the provision of flood proofing measures.

Phasing

The proposed development would be undertaken on a phased basis in the following sequence:

Phase 1 – Develop the new classroom facility underneath the existing West Stand.

Phase 2 - Develop the three storey building to the rear of the north stand. Tidy up the North Western corner of the stand to improve the appearance from Vere Road..

Phase 3 – Construction of the arch that would overspan and support the existing roof over the Kop. Existing pillars that support the roof could then be removed. The north eastern corner of the ground between the north stand and the Kop would also be filled in and the new Stadium Control developed.

Phase 4 – Extend the existing west stand to further increase capacity.

Community Involvement

Sheffield Wednesday seek to develop a strong working relationship with local residents with the establishment of a permanent working group. The club have looked to engage local residents in discussions surrounding the stadium development and to date have held three meetings with local residents. Details of the meetings are contained in a statement of community involvement issued by the club in support of the application. This statement also sets out the consultations that have been carried out with education facilities, private companies, community groups and charities.

Response to Representations

Parking and overshadowing were the two issues of most concern to the local residents. These issues have been assessed above.

Another concern was about increased litter which is a matter for the club to address.

One of the representations raises concerns about the likelihood of increased hooliganism. This is a matter for the club and police. However the new layout proposed by the plans may assist in this respect as there would be increased segregation of spectators. All the home fans would access the ground from either Penistone Road or Parkside Road and the away fans would access the stand from Leppings Lane. At present some home fans are able to come into the ground from Leppings Lane, however with the revised layout this may no longer be possible (except in an emergency).

Another of the representations was concerned about loss of t.v. reception as this had occurred in the past. With the nation about to switch over to digital television it is unlikely that the development would have an impact upon reception. The proposed development would take place on a phased basis with the taller structures due to be built later on in the phasing when the digital switch would have been likely to occur. That said it is recommended that a condition be attached to the consent requiring mitigation works to be carried out if there is a problem. This would be similar to a condition attached to the consent for the redevelopment of the Sheffield United ground at Bramhall Lane.

SUMMARY AND RECOMMENDATION

Planning permission is sought for alterations and extensions to the existing Sheffield Wednesday football stadium at Hillsborough to enhance the community facilities the club has to offer and to increase the capacity of the ground. This will mean that the ground would be compliant with FIFA regulations with regards to the England World Cup bid for 2018. The overall capacity of the stadium would be increased from around 38,000 to 44,825.

The proposed development includes: the erection of a three storey building to the rear of the North Stand; infilling of the North Eastern corner between the North Stand and the Kop; Erection of an overspanning arch over the roof of the Kop to allow the pillars to be removed; provision of an new hi-tec classroom facility within the existing West Stand; extension of the West Stand as well as improvements to the external appearance of the North Western corner of the ground; creation of an open piazza adjacent to Penistone Road and the other landscape improvement works.

It is considered that the proposed development would improve the overall character and appearance of the area and would provide an enhanced spectator experience. The proposed development would allow the club to provide enhanced community facilities that would benefit the city as a whole.

It is also considered that the proposed development would not have a significantly detrimental impact upon the occupiers of neighbouring properties and any disbenefits would be far outweighed by the overall benefits of the scheme.

The Club has set out proposals for the implementation of a Travel Plan to reduce reliance upon the private car as well as improvements to traffic management within the area. It is considered that subject to the implementation of these measures the development would not have an adverse impact upon highway safety.

The proposed development would not be likely to give rise to increased chances of flooding and a Flood Risk Assessment has been carried out.

Sustainable measures have been incorporated into the design of the scheme and the applicants are seeking to achieve a BREEAM rating of at least ‘very good’.

It is considered that the proposed development accords with the objectives of UDP Policies M4, M11 and LR2 as well as Core Strategy Policies CS64, CS65 and CS67. It is thereby recommended that planning permission be granted with conditions.
Old August 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #40
samson smith

Quote:

Sheffield Wednesday FC

Football Alliance Champions; 1890
Football League First Division Champions; 1903, 1904, 1929, 1930
FA Cup Winners; 1896, 1907, 1935

The first stadium in England to have a cantilever roof that ran the full length of the pitch. It is remembered for the Hillsborough disaster, one of the main reasons as to why English clubs have the 'All Seater' rule. It was also the venue for a number of games in Euro 96.

Hillsborough Stadium is the home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club in Sheffield, England. Football has been played at the ground since it was opened on 2 September 1899, when Wednesday moved from their original ground at Olive Grove. Today it is a 39,814 capacity all-seater stadium, making it the largest stadium in the city. The vast majority of the seats are covered. It is located in the Sheffield suburb of Owlerton, but takes its name from the parliamentary constituency in which it lies.

On 15 April 1989, the ground was the scene of one of the worst sporting tragedies of all time when 94 Liverpool fans were crushed to death in an FA Cup semi-final in the infamous Hillsborough disaster. The final death toll was 96. This prompted a series of improvements to safety at the ground.

Although the ground has received little investment since Euro 1996, it is still regarded as "a beautiful ground oozing character." It has two large separate two tiered stands and two large single tiered stands, all of which are covered. All four stands are of a similar size in terms of capacity, but with the South stand being the largest and the West stand (used for away fans) the smallest. Only one corner of the ground is filled, between the West and North Stands. This area, known as the North West terrace, is uncovered and is only used for visiting supporters when the West stand upper and lower tiers are full. On the other corner of the West stand is an electronic scoreboard.

Photos of Sheffield Wednesday's home stadium Hillsborough;

image hosted on flickr

The cantilever stand as mentioned above (in the middle) away end on the left, home end on the right.

image hosted on flickr

Opposite it is the Main stand upgraded for Euro 96.

image hosted on flickr

Home end with the seats.

image hosted on flickr

Home end the kop before it became all seated.

This stadium may be getting on its old age but it is still has a lot of charactor and the stands a lot of history which is slowly disappearing all over in English football.
Yes, you are right. It is very beautiful stadium. Sheffield, Hillsborough home of Sheffield Wednesday Football Club since 1899, the stadium has a 39,812 capacity and also plans by the club for a £22 million renovation of the stadium have been approved. This would increase the capacity to 44,825. The stadium has been used for matches at the 1966 World Cup and Euro '96. I think Great decision taken by Sheffield.
samson smith no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sheffield