daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:23 PM   #121
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1145

I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –

1) Is there any plan to extend the network with new lines? If yes, please write some details and post a complete map with planned extensions.
2) Reserved or unreserved - which type of track layout is common in Shenyang tramway network?
3) Which is the busiest tram terminus?
4) Which termini have interchange facility with suburban rail network?
5) Where is/are the depot(s) of the tramway network?

I suggest if they plan any new tram lines, they should build those as overhead wired tram.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2014, 06:41 AM   #122
Ashis Mitra

Could anybody show me the area served by the previous tram on the map of Shenyang metro?

Is the new network serve the same area of old network? Please write some details, or if possible, post a compatible map.
Old May 31st, 2014, 05:40 AM   #123
Ashis Mitra

The old Shenyang tram used to be the favourite urban transportation for the residents from all walks of life, in particular the folks at the grassroots level, due to its high frequency, its low cost and its easiness to leap on and jump off board, while the reincarnated tram is more like to be designed for a planned VIP trip. It gains speed, gains efficiency, gains order, gains stability, but the lively dynamism, the social inclusion and the human touch seem to be somewhat missing. Can we regain those lost qualities?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:31 AM   #124
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 382

Grass on the line is a great idea...
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 01:08 PM   #125
Ashis Mitra

FOOLISH AUTHORITY OF SHENYANG

Shenyang’ great tram network was closed in 1973 for some blunt reasons –

The infrastructure and fleet of the systems that closed service in the 1970's were usually in very bad condition. So it was easier and cheaper for the companies to change to bus-service because the cities made the streets often completely new in these days because of the many new cars. They also thought that there is no place for trams on the streets anymore and that the old and slowly trams will disturb the car- and bus-traffic.

If you see to many Asian cities, which is also very old, even older and congested than Shenyang, was prevented the world’s sixties trend to close tram networks. They patiently improved their infrastructure & fleets step by step, and imported sometimes foreign trams also. They gradually increased their network with both reserved and unreserved track. Shenyang could do that. By gradually improving rolling stocks looking those cities, they can maintain their network. Even my city Kolkata, where tram is under trouble, still has a good network.

* The advent of buses and large scale competition meant that buses often ran the same routes as the trams and would jump in front in order to "grab" customers.

Buses are still present in Shenyang, even much more than before. Aren’t they competing with tram now? If now tram can attract more people than bus, I think if Shenyang Transport Authority should be patient, trams would sure survived, even defeat bus. Actually they started following other cities for withdrawing tram during fifties.

* While buses were able to move into Shenyang’s expanding hinterland quicker and at less cost that the trams.

Current tram network has situated in suburb, and the infrastructure is more expensive like bus (includes masts, wires, stops, etc., even costlier due to partly wire free system). But they are very popular for commuters than bus. If now they can re-make that costly infrastructure, why not past? Previous network was much ordinary than present. Actually they were lobbying the automobile industry, and the industry started marketing automobiles, like many cities around the world.

* The belief that trams were outdated and old technology meanwhile,

If tram is really outdated, why the transport authority returned it in Shenyang? It clearly shows that outdated technology idea was completely fake.

* There was a belief that buses were cheaper to run than trams.

Although initial construction cost of tramway network is higher, but it is profitable for long term, because buses runs on diesel, which is being costly month by month over the world, and also decreasing from nature’s storage. Diesel can’t be made artificially, but electricity can make from various sources, like air, water, tide etc, so it is unlimited, and it is also pollution free.

* The system was in a poor state of repair.
Many cities around the Asia, has maintained tram, struggling over World War 2, by investing seriously on track & rolling stocks. Even I live in Kolkata, but my city has still a good tram network. When Shenyang closed their tram in 1973, Kolkata tram has started its decline – but still one of the large system in Asia. So “impossible repairing” is just another lie.

* The overcrowded and heaving trams running at a high frequency, in competition with growing private motor car and bus use, created congestion.

Buses are still present in Shenyang, even much more than before. Aren’t they competing with tram now? If now tram can attract more people than bus, I think if Shenyang Transport Authority should be patient, trams would sure survived, even defeat bus. It says that trams were overcrowded, it means were very popular among the citizens, and also ran on high frequency, means a reliable service. Actually they started following other cities for withdrawing tram during sixties.

* Competition from the private car, private bus operators and the perception of traffic congestion led to the gradual closure of lines from the 1970s.

Despite the competition with automobile, they were very popular among citizens due to high frequency. Actually they were lobbying the automobile industry, and the industry started marketing automobiles, like many cities around the world.

* Closure was supported by the authority, but generally went against public opinion.

It is very natural that ordinary people can’t be against with tram. Tram is pollution free, gentle and a status symbol of a civilized city. Even I live in Kolkata, but my city has still a good tram network.

Shenyang’s previous tram survived from 1925 to 1973 and closed for those fake reasons. Tram reopened in 2013. So are we sure that around 2061, Shenyang will not again close its tram for some updated closure reasons?

biesiadnik liked this post
Old June 5th, 2014, 01:34 AM   #126
saiho

Likes (Received): 1302

By 2061 all of Shenyang will be covered by the metro system. LRT is nice but Shenyang really needs some more metro lines it seems to have the most disappointing expansion pace in China.

biesiadnik liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #127
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101933

By 2061? Is it about China? Or by 2016?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #128
Ashis Mitra

It is about 2061, a long long years away. I think Shenyang will sure bulid more metro lines, but the tram network is really good. Infact, it is much larger than former network (closed in seventies).

When Shanghai & Tianjin built rubber tired tram, and only one route, Shenyang thankfully selected conventional steel wheeled tram, and running on 4 routes. But why route 4 has not built?

But some routes are wire-less, which is not practical. It is much costly. I suggest if they built new routes in future, they must use overhead wires on those routes.

Last edited by Ashis Mitra; June 15th, 2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: mistake & misconception
Old June 6th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #129
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

It may be because the old thing that 'four' is pronounced almost like 'death' and blah, blah. But AFAIK they are planning up to 9 lines, and they include line 4! (Which I believe is U/C now).

PS: You wrote Tianjin twice, the second time should be Shenyang. And please don't say Zaragoza tram will close again in 2102 due to fool reasons or sth like that.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #130
Ashis Mitra

Error corrected. I'ven't seen Zaragoza tram still now, so I don't know. But I hope all nes tram systems of Shanghai, Shenyang & Tianjin will be permanently opened..
Old July 9th, 2014, 07:16 AM   #131
Ashis Mitra

When the new tram network construction started, have the remains of former network’s discovered under the road surface?
Old October 15th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #132
biesiadnik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 346

it's great to see how the Chinese metropolis thrives on green transport, especially considering that there are problems ( air pollution , traffic jams )

big-dog liked this post
biesiadnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2015, 12:46 AM   #133
seapug

Likes (Received): 198

Any word on when 9 & 10 might open?
seapug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #134
ccdk

Likes (Received): 981

Plans for Shenyang Metro up till 2018

Long-term Plan
Old July 17th, 2015, 12:44 PM   #135
CNGL
Leudimin

Interesting, the first map will never happen because it has line 2 still ending at Santaizi, which hasn't been the case since the start of 2014. It also has missing both line 2 extensions (I believe they will build them in the same time frame, if not up to 2020), most notably the Santaizi-Hangkong Hangtian Daxue one, which is already in operation.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #136
flankerjun

Likes (Received): 1230

already U/C
flankerjun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:21 AM   #137
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5781

relatively recent blog post about trams in Shenyang

https://theraillife.wordpress.com/20...s-of-shenyang/
Woonsocket54 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2015, 10:27 PM   #138
laxmanm1

Likes (Received): 0

Awesome snaps!
laxmanm1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #139
CNGL
Leudimin

IIRC they were adding two lines to the tram system, namely lines 4 and 6. A further 3 lines are planned.

As for the metro plans, I've recently seen a new map with the plans up to 2023, and it had 10 lines by then. Also the long-term plans now show 13 lines, with line 12 running North-South and taking over parts of lines 6 and 8, both of which have now been realigned; and line 13 running in a semicircle from West to East via the North, beyond lines 9 and 10 but still closer than line 11. In addition there are extensions to most of previously planned lines. I still remember when they were planning only 5 lines...
Old September 13th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #140
CNGL
Leudimin

Last Saturday, Shenyang metro reached a new record high daily ridership at 1,07 million passengers.

And while I'm at it, here is a map with the current long term plans. It was made by Ajew, and is taken from Chinese Wikipedia.

BTW, both (English) Wikipedia and UrbanRail misspells Yixueyuan station on line 2 as 'Yixueyaun'. There are no characters that translliterate to 'yaun' in pinyin. (Edit: Wikipedia is now correct, I've changed it)

Last edited by CNGL; September 13th, 2016 at 01:42 PM.

Tags
metro, shenyang, shenyang tram