daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:15 AM   #301
mattec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 818
Likes (Received): 112

geogregor, I think I know where your avatar is.

It's around Wytheville VA, right?
mattec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #302
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

Great song, remake of the 1975 song (from the 1978 movie)

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:32 AM   #303
geogregor
Registered User
 
geogregor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London
Posts: 15,548
Likes (Received): 19317

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Great song, remake of the 1975 song (from the 1978 movie)

Wow!!!!!
I've seen this movie when I was very young, it was before iron curtain collapsed. We still had just two TV channels then and only two hours of programs before afternoon (the same movie which they screened later in the evening - for people who worked late shifts).
I was sick so I didn't go to school and that's how I managed to see it.
Ech, old times.
I loved this movie but I have never actually seen it again.

@mattec
Yes, it is somewhere in Virginia but I don't remember exact location
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #304
nerdly_dood
Possibly Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 951
Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogregor View Post
Wow!!!!!
I've seen this movie when I was very young, it was before iron curtain collapsed. We still had just two TV channels then and only two hours of programs before afternoon (the same movie which they screened later in the evening - for people who worked late shifts).
I was sick so I didn't go to school and that's how I managed to see it.
Ech, old times.
I loved this movie but I have never actually seen it again.

@mattec
Yes, it is somewhere in Virginia but I don't remember exact location
Yup, its near Wytheville.
__________________
A government's primary duty is to protect and advance the three most fundamental human rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. These rights imply the additional right to prudently guarded stupidity.

Socialism never took root in America because the poor there saw themselves not as an exploited proletariat, but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires. -John Steinbeck
nerdly_dood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #305
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

These truck drivers are just asking for accidents...
[IMG]http://i31.************/148m9w9.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #306
RKC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Budapest
Posts: 1,462
Likes (Received): 28

even if i didn't care about safety, i would hate looking at nothing else but he back of that truck all the time.
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #307
x-type
con los terroristas
 
x-type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bjelovar [HR]
Posts: 13,474
Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
even if i didn't care about safety, i would hate looking at nothing else but he back of that truck all the time.
don't worry, he will catch first situation to take left lane and try to overpass the other one (what will last for some 3 km)
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #308
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
even if i didn't care about safety, i would hate looking at nothing else but he back of that truck all the time.
Now you understand why truckers also want to overtake
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #309
Stainless
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pyeongnae
Posts: 420
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
even if i didn't care about safety, i would hate looking at nothing else but he back of that truck all the time.
Probably trying to save fuel by slipstreaming
Stainless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #310
SS Enforcer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
Probably trying to save fuel by slipstreaming
Nope .... if you look again you will see a slower vehicle up front which has caused the trucks to start to bunch up a bit. That car with the weird box thing on the trailer is probably going slowly. I have been in this same situation a thousand times at least.

Still not much to worry about as trucking in Europe is slower than here or in the states.

Cheers
SS Enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:08 PM   #311
christos-greece
Moderator!
 
christos-greece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 176,994
Likes (Received): 244842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These truck drivers are just asking for accidents...
[IMG]http://i31.************/148m9w9.jpg[/IMG]
Where is that photo taken? I wonder... because few truck drivers in Greek motorways (hopefully not all) are drive like in the photo above
__________________
Urban Showcase: Athens Kalamata Trikala Thessaloniki
Cityscapes: Paris Barcelona Dubai, U.A.E. Monte Carlo, Monaco
General photography: Castles of France - Chateau de France and, since May of '08: Greece!
christos-greece está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:13 PM   #312
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

A28 near Zwolle, the Netherlands.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #313
ir desi
Registered User
 
ir desi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hanover, NH, USA
Posts: 647
Likes (Received): 35

Unfortunately, there seem to be some truckers who are conscious of the weight of their vehicle, and others who think they are out for a Sunday drive. Driving through the hills of Vermont on I-91, I was faced with one trucker like this. I-91 has many steep grades, often 6-8%. This trucker sat behind me and refused to maintain distance. I initially came upon him as he was cresting a hill. He had slowed down to about 30mph as he crested. Minimum speed limit if unposted on Vermont Interstate highways is 45mph. I gave about 400ft, enough to see the headlights in the rearview, and moved into the right lane in front of him. As we came down the hill, he brought himself as close as in the photo above. This happened over and over again. You'd think with the hills he'd fall behind as he slowed down on the ascent, but he always caught up in the same way on the descent. Okay, you might say, I should get out of the way, this truck is heavy and despite brakes is going to have variant speeds. But even once we reached the relatively flat sections of I-91 in Massachusetts, this guy still sat on my tail with at most 20 ft between us.
ir desi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #314
stoian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 10
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Where is that photo taken? I wonder... because few truck drivers in Greek motorways (hopefully not all) are drive like in the photo above

The second truck is with bulgarian registration("E"-Blagoevgrad area).
stoian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #315
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

Check the end of this video:

I-80 near Reno, Nevada

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #316
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

The open borders of Europe....


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr


image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #317
peezet
Registered User
 
peezet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: B.o.Z.
Posts: 230
Likes (Received): 17

Chris,

Is this the dutch A1 near Oldenzaal ???
I though they made a big truck parking place near Hengelo to avoid this .
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #318
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,631
Likes (Received): 19427

Yeah, it's at the German border. This was nothing by the way, the line was only 1.5 km long. If there's a German federal holiday during the workweek, the line can be 10 km long.

As far as I know, they want to increase capacity of this rest area at the border, plus expanding the Lonnekermeer rest area. However, all capacity for truck parkings are already taken east of Apeldoorn, so they have no other option than to drive to the border and have a nice 24 hours at the shoulder. (2 days in this case, as saturday October 3rd was the German unification day + sunday)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:18 AM   #319
SS Enforcer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir desi View Post
Unfortunately, there seem to be some truckers who are conscious of the weight of their vehicle, and others who think they are out for a Sunday drive. Driving through the hills of Vermont on I-91, I was faced with one trucker like this. I-91 has many steep grades, often 6-8%. This trucker sat behind me and refused to maintain distance. I initially came upon him as he was cresting a hill. He had slowed down to about 30mph as he crested. Minimum speed limit if unposted on Vermont Interstate highways is 45mph. I gave about 400ft, enough to see the headlights in the rearview, and moved into the right lane in front of him. As we came down the hill, he brought himself as close as in the photo above. This happened over and over again. You'd think with the hills he'd fall behind as he slowed down on the ascent, but he always caught up in the same way on the descent. Okay, you might say, I should get out of the way, this truck is heavy and despite brakes is going to have variant speeds. But even once we reached the relatively flat sections of I-91 in Massachusetts, this guy still sat on my tail with at most 20 ft between us.
Why didn't you drive a bit quicker and get out of his way or just sit behind him and let him go . Obviously you wanted to get under his skin like I have seen many like you do.

cheers
SS Enforcer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM   #320
Qaabus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 327
Likes (Received): 4

Riksveg 60 between Olden and Innvik in Norway:


Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 7th, 2009 at 11:31 PM.
Qaabus no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium