daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 9th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #21
MarcVD

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedStriker View Post
How do you come to be travelling around such an off-the-beaten track part of the world? Do you know of any jobs going which offer travels around these parts?
I have spend 3 weeks of holidays in Iran last spring. And I have been there
all the way by train, Brussels-Köln-München-Budapest-Bucarest-Istanbul-
Ankara-Van-Tabriz-Teheran. Also travelled by train in Iran Kerman-Mashhad
and Mashhad-Teheran... Each time I travel somewhere, I try to use trains
for at least some part of the trip. Next "extravagant" one will probably be
Brussels-Taschkent, in Ouzbekistan, via Moscow. And as soon as the
recently opened line between Kerman and Zahedan offers passenger trains,
I will fly back to Teheran and from there go by train all the way to India.
I would be delighted to do that as a business, but alas, it's only for leisure...
MarcVD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #22
Ilgar

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
I have spend 3 weeks of holidays in Iran last spring. And I have been there
all the way by train, Brussels-Köln-München-Budapest-Bucarest-Istanbul-
Ankara-Van-Tabriz-Teheran. Also travelled by train in Iran Kerman-Mashhad
and Mashhad-Teheran... Each time I travel somewhere, I try to use trains
for at least some part of the trip. Next "extravagant" one will probably be
Brussels-Taschkent, in Ouzbekistan, via Moscow. And as soon as the
recently opened line between Kerman and Zahedan offers passenger trains,
I will fly back to Teheran and from there go by train all the way to India.
I would be delighted to do that as a business, but alas, it's only for leisure...

I would like to try Orient Express from West to East by rail like old times but with modern trains.
Ilgar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #23
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgar View Post
I would like to try Orient Express from West to East by rail like old times but with modern trains.
Orient express does not exist anymore. Unless, that is, you agree to spend
several thousand dollars to travel on a cruise train that does the trip once
or twice a year. Otherwise, you have to do it like I did :

- Brussels to Köln by ICE
- Köln to Münich by night train
- Münich to Budapest by railjet
- Budapest to Bucarest by night train
- Bucarest to Istanbul by another night train

It's fast and modern as far as Budapest (although you can really feel the
crossing of the border at Hegyeshalom with the change of track quality)
and after that it becomes slow (long stretches of track in disrepair limited
to 60 km/h) and second hand rolling stock back from the sixties. An
adventure in itself !
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #24
Ilgar

Azerbaijan Trains

Ganca-Boyuk Kasik (Azerbaijan-Georgian Border) Electric Train

Baku-Mingachevir Express Electro-Train
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #25
Ilgar

Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project discussed in Azerbaijan
Turkish Transportation Minister met with Azerbaijan and Georgia officials in Baku to discuss the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project.

Wednesday, 04 August 2010 09:47

Turkish Transportation Minister Binali Yildirim met with Transportation Minister Ziya Mammadov of Azerbaijan and State Minister for Regional Development & Infrastructure Ramaz Nikolaishvili of Georgia in Baku to discuss the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project.

Yildirim said at the meeting, "the first coordination meeting for the railway project was held in Turkish resort town of Bodrum on May 23 and 24, 2009. Today, we gathered in Baku to attend the second meeting. We will hold such tripartite meetings once in a year till the project is completed."

He highlighted importance of the project for both the region and the world, and added, "this is not a project only for Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia. This project will extend to the Far East, Central Asia, Caucasus and to the Balkans and Europe via Turkey."

"After the Marmaray project in Turkey and the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway project are completed, there will be a continuous connection from Beijing in the People's Republic of China to London in the United Kingdom," he added.

By user: Araz19
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #26
Ilgar

Baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railways construction continues
By Messenger Staff
Monday, August 30

The commencement of operations of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is of great importance to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey. According to the opinion of these three countries, this will be a very significant route for transporting cargo from Europe to China and vice versa. Georgia in particular believes that this railway could be yet another excellent example of regional cooperation together with Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and Baku-Tbilisi-Erzerum oil and gas pipelines. Turkish President Abdullah Gul also highlighted the importance of the project during his recent visit to Baku on August 16. He mentioned that using these railways both goods and people can travel between China, Central Asia, as far as London by train, and that the project is being observed with great interest by China and Kazakhstan. The Turkish President mentioned that the railway will open in 2012 and it is envisaged that during its first year it will carry 1 million passengers and 6 million tonnes of cargo. The railway will have branches, one of which will be from Kars to the Azeri territory of Nakhchevan, which is separated from Azerbaijan's main territory by Armenia. Work on the construction of different segments of the railway is underway. Turkish Transport Minister, Binali Yildirim stated that work on the Kars-Nakhchevan branch will coincide with the Akhalkalaki-Kars main railway.

During the meeting of the working group in the beginning of August, the delegations stressed the importance of finishing the work on time. Over the past year there have been some delays in the construction and for a number of different reasons the cost has increased. Despite this, it was decided that the necessary finance should be gathered and greater effort should be made by bring in additional equipment and manpower. The construction of Akhalkalaki railway station will start before the end of this year and be completed in 2011. The decision for the construction of Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway was finally agreed upon on February 8, 2007. The railway will consist of 105 km of track, of which 76 km will be in Turkey and 29 in Georgia. In addition old segments of railway up to Akhalkalaki must be reconditioned. A third of the construction work on Turkish territory is already complete. There is a difficult segment running through the mountainous part of Turkey, four km in length, where the work is just being started.

For the construction of the Georgian segment, Azerbaijan allotted a 25-year term soft loan for USD 200 million. The total amount to be spent on the project is more than USD 600 million. Initially the project was supposed to be finished by mid 2011, but as a result of some technical problems, the project has been delayed for one more year. Analysts believe that in addition to the economic significance, the project has huge political importance, primarily for Azerbaijan, which plans to establish regular contact with its region of Nakhchevan as well as put a further grip of isolation on Armenia. Some analysts suggest that it has purely political importance and will not be economically profitable.

Old August 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #27
lanolama

Likes (Received): 2333

Is it known what rail gauge will be used? As far as i know, Turkey and China use 1435 mm and Azerbaijan, Georgia, Armenia and Kazakhstan use 1520 mm gauge.
lanolama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #28
MarcVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilgar View Post
Baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railways construction continues
Analysts believe that in addition to the economic significance, the project has huge political importance, primarily for Azerbaijan, which plans to establish regular contact with its region of Nakhchevan as well as put a further grip of isolation on Armenia. Some analysts suggest that it has purely political importance and will not be economically profitable.

Poilitical importance of course, as Turkey continues its efforts to isolate Armenia. But not only. Going directly from Turkey to Nakhichevan means
one can go from Turkey to Iran without having to cross Van Lake... If
Nakhichevan would be smart enough to re-gauge the few railways it
has to 1435mm, this might mean a usable direct route from Europe to India !
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:16 PM   #29
Ilgar

Azerbaijan to invest to $1 billion in increase of railway oil transit

Baku, Fineko/abc.az. Azerbaijan, Georgia and Kazakhstan have agreed on development of railway transportation of oil.

According to President of the State Oil Company of Azerbaijan (SOCAR) Rovnag Abdullayev, it is planned to invest to $1 billion for increase of volumes of railway transit of hydrocarbons through Azerbaijan.

“At that, volumes of oil transit should grow from 10 million to 20 million tons per year,” R. Abdullayev said.

Growth will be connected with plans of Kazakhstan to increase transit of hydrocarbons through corridor Azerbaijan-Georgia. The system will include Georgian terminals in Kulevi, by Poti, Batumi, that is, all additional volume will fall on the Black Sea that will limit geography of its export.

Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan and Georgia signed a corresponding memorandum at the first meeting of the Azerbaijan-Georgian Council on Increase of Competitive Ability of Transport Corridor, which was held in Tbilisi

Old January 14th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #30
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6539

Turkish transport minister: Turkish plot of Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is under construction

Monday, 10 January 2011

Constructing of a 76-kilometer Turkish section of Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway is successfully continued in accordance with international standards, Turkish Transport Minister Binali Yildirim said in an interview with Trend.

"Construction work is underway. It is planned to complete them in 2012," Yildirim said.

He said that it is planned to construct two half kilometer tunnels, three viaducts, 12 over-ground crossings and a railroad station on the Turkish-Georgian border within the project.

"The speed of traffic on the site is projected at 120 kilometers per hour," the minister said

He said that a 28-kilometer-plot, located on the territory of Georgia, is also under construction.

He said that after its commissioning in 2012, it is planned to transport 1.2 million people and 3.5 million tons of cargo via Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway. The volume of passenger transportation will be increased up to 7.8 million people, cargo transportation - up to 21.5 million tons in 2034.

"Taking into account "Marmaray" project, the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project becomes more important. An underwater railway tunnel under the Bosphorus is being built within "Marmaray" project to connect the European and Asian parts of Turkey, " he said.

He said that since the day of making a decision to implement this project, all the countries of Great Silk Way situated in the area from China to Western Europe are closely observing its development. He said that Kazakhstan expressed its intention at the stage of the project realization to transport 10 million tons of cargo via the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway per year.

"By implementing the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars, Marmaray and a number of high-speed railway projects, Turkey, Azerbaijan and Georgia will become a part of not only the most profitable from an economic standpoint, but also the safest and reliable variant of the Asian-European transport corridor," he said.

He said that implementing of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars project will lead to a significant increase in transport capacity between Turkey and Azerbaijan, the growth of trade turnover between the two countries, strengthening of fraternal and friendly relations.

"This project is carried out within the mutual trust and mutual cooperation of the participants. Turkey operates realizing all the responsibility made on it. The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which is the third large joint project of Azerbaijan, Turkey and Georgia after the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan and the Baku- Tbilisi-Erzurum projects, will strengthen the historical friendship of the three countries, peace and prosperity in the region and renew trade between countries in the region," he said.

The Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway, which will connect the rail systems of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, is planned to be completed in the first half of 2012, Azerbaijani Transport Minister Ziya Mammadov said earlier.

A new 105-kilometer railroad branch will be constructed as a part of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railway. About 76 kilometers will stretch via Turkey, 29 kilometers through Georgia. Moreover, an Akhalkalaki-Tbilisi-Marabda railway section will be reconstructed in Georgia to increase transport capacity up to 15 million tons of cargo a year. A point of train transition from the existing train tracks in Georgia to the European one is planned to be built in Akhalkalaki.

The peak capacity of the corridor will hit 17 million tons. Initially, the figure will hit 1 million passengers and 6.5 million tons of cargo.

http://www.turkishweekly.net/news/11...truction-.html
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #31
intelligentBG

Likes (Received): 83

Could you please tell me if there is some urban or sub-urban rail system in Azerbaijan? From the map I can see that the rail system of Apsheron is well developed. Can it be used for urban trains?
intelligentBG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #32
intelligentBG

And are there any real plans for urban-rail connection between Baku and Sumgait?
Old May 16th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #33
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7563

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligentBG View Post
And are there any real plans for urban-rail connection between Baku and Sumgait?
There is a plan for monorail between Baku and Sumgayit. As far as I know it is under negotiations in the government and no final desicion has been taken on it
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #34
intelligentBG

Thank You Galandar!
What about urban rail? For example, I see that there is a rail connecting central railway station and airport. Can it be used for urban rail system?
Also I see that the rail network around Apsheron is very developed. And suburban rails? Do the people of Baku use trains for urban and suburban travels?
And, why will they build monorail (which is great, of course, if it comes to reality) instead of developing the rail connection between the two cities?
These are just questions. I really like your country and its developing. Just wonder why there are not well developed rail systems (high speed trains, commuter trains, frequent inter-region trains and etc.). I think Azerbaijan could afford them and deserve them.

Last edited by intelligentBG; May 17th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM   #35
Galandar
Azərbaycanlı Moderator

Likes (Received): 7563

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligentBG View Post
Thank You Galandar!
What about urban rail? For example, I see that there is a rail connecting central railway station and airport. Can it be used for urban rail system?
Also I see that the rail network around Apsheron is very developed. And suburban rails? Do the people of Baku use trains for urban and suburban travels?
And, why will they build monorail (which is great, of course, if it comes to reality) instead of developing the rail connection between the two cities?
These are just questions. I really like your country and its developing. Just wonder why there are not well developed rail systems (high speed trains, commuter trains, frequent inter-region trains and etc.). I think Azerbaijan could afford them and deserve them.
Thanks! We have railway network heritage from the 19th century and the Soviet time. At the moment we have started to implement a new development program in this sphere. In a new development program we expect some 2 bln investments to Azerbaijan Railway network until 2014. The program includes modernization and expansion of the existing railway network and new trains. Let's hope for the best!
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #36
intelligentBG

O, that is good news. 2bln means that really we have to expect good changes in your railways. Please, if you have any news about the discussed projects, share them with us… (hope I am not too impudent..-
Old October 19th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #37
Azer_Akhundov

Likes (Received): 6539

Baku railway station:

Train:

http://alexcheban.livejournal.com/43633.html
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:50 PM   #38
BaKuCiTy

Likes (Received): 591

Azerbaijan to spend over $3 bn to increase rail service speed up to 140 km/h

State Railway Development Program 2010-14 demands AZN 2.4 bn (over $ 3 bn) of investments.

Arif Askerov, chairman of OJSC Azerbaijan Railways (ADY), has stated that financing will be carried out at the expense of the State Budget, foreign loans and investments, and ADY own finances.

"As a result of program realization, in 2014 speed of trains via route Baku - Boyuk Kesik (the border of Georgia) is going to increase up to 140 km per hour," he said.

Fineko/abc.az
BaKuCiTy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 02:54 PM   #39
BaKuCiTy

A refurbished passanger train to put on operation on Baku-Ganca route

Old March 31st, 2012, 02:56 PM   #40
BaKuCiTy

Minister: Azerbaijan to buy new trains for Baku-Tbilisi-Kars route

By late 2012, all the technical work to create the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway route will be fully completed and ready for operation in the first half of next year, Azerbaijani Transport Minister Ziya Mammadov told journalists on Monday.

He said at present, negotiations are underway with manufacturers from Spain to purchase new passenger trains which are planned to run on this route.

A new 105-kilometre railroad branch will be constructed as part of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars Railway. About 76 kilometres will stretch via Turkey and 29 kilometres through Georgia. Moreover, an Akhalkalaki-Tbilisi-Marabda railway section will be reconstructed in Georgia to increase transport capacity of up to 15 million tons of cargo a year. A point of train transition from the existing tracks in Georgia to the European one is planned to be built in Akhalkalaki.

The railway's peak throughput capacity will make up to 17 million tons of cargo per year. At the initial stage this indicator will be equivalent to one million passengers and 6.5 million tons of cargo.

19 March 2012
/Trend/