daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #181
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
But KTX is the high speed service. So...?

You can have High Speed Service on lines that don't have High Speed tracks on the complete route... just look at Germany.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #182
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
You can have High Speed Service on lines that don't have High Speed tracks on the complete route... just look at Germany.
And it still counts as high speed service? That seems weird to me. What's the point of it being called "high speed" if it isn't "high speed" the whole way through, especially considering how long it takes most trains to accelerate to +250 km/h?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #183
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

It runs high speed service between Seoul and Osong in which then Honam service has to use the conventional line. Since it runs HS service on part of its route its still a HSR.

But Honam Line HSR tracks are being built as we speak, so in the future almost entire Honam KTX service will be high speed.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 01:59 AM   #184
aquaticko

Isn't the the southern part of South Korea, from like Mokpo to Busan pretty heavily populated? Like Suncheon, Changwon, Jinju, and Yeosu? Are there any future plans to build HSR along that corridor? I heard that they were going to build an HSR line to Sokcho in Gangwon-do, mostly for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics, but it seems like Jeollanam-do, Gyeongsangnam-do, and through to Busan is a better place for more HSR.
Old November 13th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #185
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Isn't the the southern part of South Korea, from like Mokpo to Busan pretty heavily populated? Like Suncheon, Changwon, Jinju, and Yeosu? Are there any future plans to build HSR along that corridor? I heard that they were going to build an HSR line to Sokcho in Gangwon-do, mostly for the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics, but it seems like Jeollanam-do, Gyeongsangnam-do, and through to Busan is a better place for more HSR.
2011~2020 National Railway Plan
[IMG]http://i43.************/1zlr5eh.png[/IMG]

High Speed Rail Plan
Quote:
Gyeongbu High Speed Rail (Seoul ~ Busan)
  • Building the dedicated tracks for high speed rail in Daejeon and Daegu downtown (41km, under construction, ~2014)
Suseo High Speed Rail (streched from Gyeongbu High Speed Rail around Pyeongtaek)
  • Building the dedicated underground track to Suseo in Seoul (61.1km, under construction, ~2014)
Honam High Speed Rail
  • Building the dedicated line between Osong and Gwangju-songjeong (182km, under construction, ~2014)
  • Considering two alternitives between Gwangju-Songjeong and Mokpo
    1) Building the dedicated line (64.9km, average speed : 243km/h, maximum speed : 300km/h, journey time : 16 miniute, via Muan airport, ~2017)
    2) Upgrading the conventional line (76.1km, average speed : 188km/h, maximum speed : 230 km/h, journey time : 19 minute, building 16.6 km-long branch line to Muan airport, ~2017)

- The central government decided early this year to go for the second one ( upgrading the conventional line between Gwangju-songjeong and Mokpo), but the local governments are opposing it. I think the local government would eventually give up.
Conventional Rail Plan
Quote:
230 km/h Design Speed
  • Jeolla Line ( Iksan ~ Jeonju ~ Suncheon ~ Yeosu, planned to be completed next year before Yeosu Expo )
  • Gyeongchun Line ( Geumgok ~ Chuncheon )
  • Jungang Line ( Deokso ~ Wonju ~ Dodam )
  • Janghang Line ( Shinchang ~ Daeya )
  • Donghae Line ( Pohang ~ Samcheok )
  • Gyeongjeon Line ( Gwangju-songjeong ~ Suncheon ~ Samnangjin or Busan )
  • Chungbuk Line
  • etc.
250 km/h Design Speed
  • Wonju ~ Gangneung
  • Seohae Line ( Hongseong ~ Songsan )
  • Jungang Line ( Dodam ~ Yeongcheon ~ Shingyeongju )
  • Suseo ~ Yongmun
  • etc.
* Chuncheon ~ Sokcho line is not listed in the plan as 230 km/h nor 250 km/h. Just some media reported it as 230 km/h.
According to national long-term railway plan, Sokcho railway is not classed as an HSR line and the line for Pyeongchang Winter Olympic is Wonju~Gangneung line.

As you can see at above image, there're several constructions and plans along the Gyeongjeon line (Gwangju-songjeong ~ Suncheon ~ Samnangjin or Busan) to speed up the conventional line.

For example the Samnangjin~Masan section is already double-tracked and electified, the Masan~Jinju will be double-tracked and electified next year and Jinju~Gwangyang section, planned to be completed in 2014 is under construction. However the problem is that the upgrading of Suncheon~Gwangju-songjeong section was moved back into '2016~2020 plan', meaning that the construction could begin in 2016 at the earliest. In result the local governments related such as Gwangju, Jellanam-do, Gyeongsangnam-do and Busan are urging the central government to move it from '2016~2020' to '2011~2015' plan, and the central government are reviewing it. When the upgrade is totally completed, the travel time between Gwangju and Busan will be reduced to within 2 hours from the current 6 hours 45 minutes journey.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #186
aquaticko

Thank you so much ruready1000 I've been looking for an outline of their plans that was extensive like this for a long time! Much appreciated !!
Old November 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM   #187
ruready1000

Old November 25th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #188
ruready1000

HEMU-400X Prototype CG Image

This is said to be the CG image of HEMU-400X prototype (not confirmed). If you remember original HEMU-400X prototype, then you may be able to notice that the design is changed.

In this video, the researchers also say that they already changed the design to secure the driver's view clearly.

According to some media articles, the production of HEMU-400X prototype will be completed by the end of this year, and the trial test will begin next year.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM   #189
AndreiB

Likes (Received): 1185

Old November 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM   #190
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Quote:
If you remember original HEMU-400X prototype, then you may be able to notice that the design is changed.
It seems the design is following similar principles to the JR East Fastech 360 trainset, specifically the streamline type nose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sh...arrow-line.jpg
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #191
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
HEMU-400X Prototype CG Image

I like these kinds of sleek and sexy trains.

It kinda reminds me of this as well:

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #192
ruready1000

This is south korea railway plan 2011~2020. '2011~2020' doesn't mean the construction would be completed during this period, but means the construction is planned to begin between 2011 and 2020.

As stated in the picture, this is unofficial map even though I made this according to the goverment's official railway plan.
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM   #193
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Hi! I go to visit Korea from December 28 until January 22. I'll be three weeks at the Pukyong National University in Busan for an exchange program, but the first three days and the new year will be in Seoul. My question is about the KTX. I would go to Busan in KTX-Sancheon, but schedules Korail's website does not indicate the type of train. Is there any way to know? Or are better to go to Seoul st. and ask?

Thanks
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 11:48 AM   #194
TSpor
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

When will Hyundai Rotem Hemu 400x come ?
TSpor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM   #195
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Hi! I go to visit Korea from December 28 until January 22. I'll be three weeks at the Pukyong National University in Busan for an exchange program, but the first three days and the new year will be in Seoul. My question is about the KTX. I would go to Busan in KTX-Sancheon, but schedules Korail's website does not indicate the type of train. Is there any way to know? Or are better to go to Seoul st. and ask?

Thanks
Korail English page does not provide the information about train type, but Korail Korean page does like this :

Anyway if you travel from Seoul to Busan, there're no KTX-Sancheon trains due to KTX-Sancheon's low capacity.

If you want to travel from Seoul to Busan by KTX-Sancheon, then the best way is to transfer at the station where KTX-Sancheon is passing by, such as Gwangmyeong, Cheonan-asan, Osong, Daejeon, Dongdaegu. In your case the best way is to take KTX-Sancheon for Dongdaegu and transfer at Dongdaegu to KTX train bound for Busan (There're not many of KTX-Sancheon trains bound for Dongdaegu, so it's better to plan your schedule accordingly).
Old December 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #196
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSpor View Post
When will Hyundai Rotem Hemu 400x come ?
It's still unknown. Just some media report that the production will be compeleted by this year and the trial operation will begin from next year.
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #197
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Thanks ruready1000! I've another question. It's about KTX tickets. I'm in Seoul from 29 to 1/1, on this day, a friend comes from Barcelona (flight arrives at 12:30) and together, we move to Busan by KTX (in the afternoon). KTX have any ticket for use any train of the day? It's important to know because I supose that first of january was a crowded day. Thanks again!
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:15 AM   #198
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
KTX have any ticket for use any train of the day?
There's One-day KR Pass even though it's more expensive than one-way ticket of Seoul-Busan KTX.

http://www.korail.com/2009/htm/htm41...htm41120.jsp#3
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #199
ruready1000

KTX Annaul Passenger Traffic ( 2004 ~ 2011 )

source : Korean Government Statistics
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #200
Railfan
steamer

Likes (Received): 93

Koreans to start test running with HEMU-400X high-speed train
Tuesday, March 06, 2012

KOREA's Ministry of Land, Transport & Maritime Affairs (MLTM) says test running will commence soon of the HEMU-400X prototype six-car high-speed train developed by Hyundai Rotem and Korea Railroad Research Institute.

"We plan to check whether the train can reach its top speed of 430km/h in August," says MLTM director Mr Lee Kwang-hee. "The prototype HEMU-400X will go through sufficient test runs of more than 10,000km. Should the results be good, it will be able to commercially debut in 2014 or 2015 at the earliest." HEMU-400X is foreseen as an eight or 10-car train depending on the needs of the customer.

A lot is riding on this project, as Korea's previous domestically-designed high-speed train, KTX Sancheon, has suffered from poor reliability caused by equipment failures and malfunctions.

http://www.railjournal.com/newsflash...rain-1519.html
Railfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote