daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 27th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #401
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Underwater KTX Tunnel to Link Jeju to Mainland

An underwater tunnel is to create a high-speed rail link connecting the southern resort island of Jeju with the mainland. If the tunnel becomes a reality, it would take just two hours and 40 minutes to get from Seoul to Jeju by KTX.

A POSCO Engineering and Construction spokesman said Tuesday, "We reviewed the construction plan for the rail link and concluded that it is feasible." The builder plans to form a special team to oversee the project and has notified the government.

The rail link would involve building a 171 km railroad from Mokpo, South Jeolla Province to Jeju. Part of it would be built on a bridge and the remaining 85 km underwater.

The government conducted a feasibility study on the underwater tunnel in 2010 but put it on the back burner due to cost concerns.

But a construction industry insider said, "Since 2010 Jeju has seen a 10-percent rise in the number of tourists each year, surpassing 10 million in 2013. There is ample demand so there shouldn't be any problems in terms of financing."

A government official said, "We're looking into including the underwater tunnel in our master plan for railway infrastructure to be finalized at the end of this year."

Granted, the sources cited are "a construction industry insider" and "a government official", but it just makes so much sense, what with Seoul-Jeju being one of the world's busiest flights corridors, and Korea's highly-developed construction industry.

I guess we'll have to wait until the end of the year, but I have my fingers crossed.
I guess Jeju Air won't be needed as much after this tunnel opens?
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2014, 02:44 AM   #402
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

Almost certainly. It's entirely hypothetical--though I think it would be very cool--but South Korea could, given enough rail capacity, completely eliminate domestic flights, given the small geographic size of the place and the concentration of people within corridors between large metro areas.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 03:50 AM   #403
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7186

For a trip of almost 3 hours, there would still be a substantial air market I believe. Plus, I doubt the trip from Busan to Jeju would be very convenient, if no line is built along the South Coast of the country, so the Busan-Jeju market would remain significant.

By the way, any idea when this thing might get built? I guess not before 2030 maybe?
kimahrikku1 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #404
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Why did Korea choose to go for low platforms? "When" the country is finally connected to China and Japan, I'd imagine there'd be integration issues.
They use low platforms for regional trains as well as KTX. Must be a legacy thing.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:04 AM   #405
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydevil View Post
Well, in an official capacity, there's the "Eurasia Initiative", which is a plan to connect South Korean rail to the Trans-Siberian Railway. It's more of a political issue now, considering worsening ties with North Korea and Russia.
The strange thing is that both their direct neighbours Japan and North Korea both use high platforms. Also China uses several different heights.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #406
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
The strange thing is that both their direct neighbours Japan and North Korea both use high platforms. Also China uses several different heights.

Yea for some reason South Korea copied French even before KTX.

French has same platform height I believe, for TGV and other intercity trains.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #407
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Would anyone actually expect Korea to use the same platform height as Japan? I bet the first thing said at the meeting to decide the platform heights was that they should do the opposite of Japan..
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #408
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Quote:
And for that reason (use french technology ) koreans must implement weird solutions:

BTW I think the new commuter trains for Busan area (Donghae-Nambu Line) will have 6 or 8-car.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:26 PM   #409
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

There is not that much wrong with 550mm platforms persé, they're just less suitable for creating single deck level boarding no steps inside trains. For that purpose you would need something in excess of 950mm, like the 1100mm and 1250mm used in Japan, North Korea and China.
And don't overlook one simple fact: The number of trains to North Korea is very limited (if any?) and none to Japan. So why a need to adapt for that and simply import technology as is.
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #410
HisarO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 25

HisarO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:29 PM   #411
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
There is not that much wrong with 550mm platforms persé, they're just less suitable for creating single deck level boarding no steps inside trains. For that purpose you would need something in excess of 950mm, like the 1100mm and 1250mm used in Japan, North Korea and China.
And don't overlook one simple fact: The number of trains to North Korea is very limited (if any?) and none to Japan. So why a need to adapt for that and simply import technology as is.
I don't buy that reason. If you tell me that Alstom only offers the Reseau with low platform options, I'd be more inclined to believe it then "why....simply import technology".
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 11:43 PM   #412
DaeguDuke
Meat popsicle

Likes (Received): 1888

Quote:
I don't buy that reason. If you tell me that Alstom only offers the Reseau with low platform options, I'd be more inclined to believe it then "why....simply import technology".
From Wikipedia:
Quote:

The first proposals for a second Seoul-Busan railway line originated from a study prepared between 1972 and 1974 by experts from France's SNCF and Japan Railway Technical Service on a request from the IBRD.
Is it really surprising that Korea asked France instead of Japan to do that study? Is it really a surprise that the French designed it to be similar to their LGV? The simple answer is that the KTX was built to French standards, at a time when it was only really a choice between them or their archenemy across the sea
DaeguDuke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:04 AM   #413
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
And for that reason (use french technology ) koreans must implement weird solutions:

BTW I think the new commuter trains for Busan area (Donghae-Nambu Line) will have 6 or 8-car.
I think what you see there is a perfect way to convert to higher platform trains in the future. You cant do it immediately since that would require immediate purchase of new train sets, and that would cost 100s of billions of dollars.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2014, 01:55 PM   #414
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Quote:
Maybe my formulation was a bit ambiguous. It should have been read as 2 seperate sentences: 'So why a need to adapt for that?' Lacking cross border traffic doesn't make adaptation for higher platforms necesary.

'Simply import technology as is.' Changes to existing designs cost extra, so they opted to go with the existing TGV design because there was no need to change it. Of course Alstom could have changed the door height.
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:33 PM   #415
aquaticko

Anyone know if they're going with a different height for the new EMU's?
Old September 1st, 2014, 10:53 PM   #416
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

The pictures of the HEMU 430X (essentially the prototype for KTX-III) don't suggest any platform height change. And why would they, as that would require special platforms just for those trains.

PopolVuh! liked this post
M-NL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #417
압둘라-爱- LOVE
'대한민국'

Likes (Received): 1693

[KTX]Korean train express

🆃🅷🅴 🅱🅴🆂🆃

FM 2258, elekto, Equario liked this post
압둘라-爱- LOVE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #418
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Honam Highspeed Railway Helicam

- Jeongji Overbridge
- Osong Overbridge

Honam highspeed railway(Osong <-> Gwangju-songjeong) is scheduled to open in March, 2015.

dimlys1994, FM 2258, elekto, solchante liked this post
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #419
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruready1000 View Post
Honam Highspeed Railway Helicam
At last some progess on HSR in South Korea. Thanks, ruready1000
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 08:22 PM   #420
aquaticko

Last I saw, the Honam HSR was supposed to be open next year. Is that correct?