daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2014, 01:16 AM   #481
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Great! Does this mean that the Honam HSR line is officially open?

It seems strange to me that they went with ballasted track on a brand new line; I thought that ballastless track was supposed to be superior in a lot of ways. A quick Wikipedia lookup suggests that maybe they went with ballasted for reasons of passenger comfort? Any other ideas?
Honam HSR is ballastless track, just ballasted track are used within non-dedicated HSR stations such as Iksan, Jeongeup and Gwangju-songjeong station.

aquaticko liked this post
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:31 AM   #482
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

HONAM HSR TRAIN DEPOT in Gwangju

Honam HSR train depot in Gwangju was aired on local news(0:26~0:33).
(it says gwangju-songjeong station, but it's Honam HSR train depot in gwangju)

kimahrikku1, Sr.Horn liked this post
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #483
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Honam HSL helicopter view

Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:44 AM   #484
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Great! Does this mean that the Honam HSR line is officially open?

It seems strange to me that they went with ballasted track on a brand new line; I thought that ballastless track was supposed to be superior in a lot of ways. A quick Wikipedia lookup suggests that maybe they went with ballasted for reasons of passenger comfort? Any other ideas?
From the looks of it a lot of the track seems ballastless.

EDIT: Whoops, missed ruready's reply. :P

In any case, ballastless track is sexy.

Last edited by Silver Swordsman; December 22nd, 2014 at 06:54 AM.
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:16 PM   #485
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Honam HSL by the end of March:

Quote:
Seoul-Gwangju Bullet Train to Take Just 1½ Hours

The Seoul-Gwangju KTX Line opens in late March, shortening travel time to Gwangju to an hour and 33 minutes, down over an hour from the current trip.

Until recently, it was impossible for the KTX to run at full speed between Seoul and Gwangju because it had to stop over midway on the old railway line. But the new 182.3-m track between Osong, North Chungcheong Province and Songjeong, Gwangju will reduce travel time by 66 minutes.

The project began in 2009, costing W8.4 trillion (US$1=W1,082) including W736 billion for new rolling stock.

A half-day round trip will also become a real possibility. From Mokpo, it will now be possible to reach Seoul in two hours and five minutes, and the trip from Gwangju to Incheon International Airport will take just two hours and nine minutes.

The new KTX train also has a state-of-the-art interior. An improved version of the KTX train model provides more legroom for passengers. There are also power outlets for laptops or mobile phones under all rotating seats.

However, the fares are high, rising from the current W38,600 for the Seoul-Gwangju trip to about W47,000, according to industry insiders. The 50-minute flight, by comparison, costs W70,000-80,000, and the 3.5-hour drive costs about W56,000 for toll and fuel. But KORAIL said the KTX will be competitive because it saves time.
The Chosun Ilbo

aquaticko liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #486
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

" But the new 182.3-m track"
huh? Surely the new track section isn't just 182.3 meters?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 12:56 AM   #487
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Horn View Post
Honam HSL by the end of March:

The Chosun Ilbo
What's also good is that I believe that not only will this shorten the travel time to Mokpo and Gwangju, but the Osong - Iksan section should also make it quicker to use the Jeolla line (to JeonJu, YeoSu)... Does anyone know how many minutes the Honam HSR lines shaves of travel times to the cities on the Jeolla line ?
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #488
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

It'll probably make some difference, but considering how short Osong-Iksan is, probably not much. As far as I know, most of the older track that caused the trains to slowdown was further south in Jeollanam.

I find it funny that a difference of W9,000 is considered a lot. With the opening of this HSR line, I think South Korea is probably going to come very close to making domestic air travel totally obsolete, at least from a practicality standpoint.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2015, 01:50 AM   #489
kimahrikku1

Quote:
It'll probably make some difference, but considering how short Osong-Iksan is, probably not much. As far as I know, most of the older track that caused the trains to slowdown was further south in Jeollanam.

I find it funny that a difference of W9,000 is considered a lot. With the opening of this HSR line, I think South Korea is probably going to come very close to making domestic air travel totally obsolete, at least from a practicality standpoint.
I did a bit of research, and it seems that the gain is in fact rather significant for the Jeolla line. The different sources don't say the same thing, but it seems that the gain will be of 40 minutes at least. Two reasons for that, the new section of the HSR Honam line starts "sooner" (from Seoul), and is kind of a shortcut because the old section was not really direct. Plus, the old section to Iksan was probably the slowest of the old Honam line, because the line keeps twisting and turning.

Two other line openings/improvements on the KTX railroad.
- The Daejeon and Daegu high-speed sections will open sometime this year (up until now, in these urban areas, the line followed the old GyeongBu line). This should cut about 8 minutes for trips from Seoul to Busan.
- The Pohang - New GyeongJu section of the DongHae NamBu Line will open in March, allowing direct KTX trips from Seoul to Pohang in two hours. Pohang had very poor train connectivity to the rest of the country until now (it apparently took 5 hours to get to Seoul and required a transfer in GyeongJu)

Source : http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View...CD=A0002071205
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #490
aquaticko

Ah, I stand corrected then.

I'm still having a hard time finding anything that suggests any progress on a Gyeongjeon HSR line. I know it's part of the government's 2020 plan for national rail service, but I don't know if that's going to create a line that's equivalent to the Gyeongbu and Honam HSR line or if it's simply a comprehensive upgrade to the current line. It seems like the former would make more sense, at least in terms of the ever-present goal of rebalancing regional economies.
Old January 17th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #491
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Ah, I stand corrected then.

I'm still having a hard time finding anything that suggests any progress on a Gyeongjeon HSR line. I know it's part of the government's 2020 plan for national rail service, but I don't know if that's going to create a line that's equivalent to the Gyeongbu and Honam HSR line or if it's simply a comprehensive upgrade to the current line. It seems like the former would make more sense, at least in terms of the ever-present goal of rebalancing regional economies.
I know fairly little about that line...

But I just researched it.(http://www.ohmynews.com/NWS_Web/View...CD=A0002058839), and it does seem to be in limbo, either postponed or maybe on the brink of cancellation. I'm too lazy to try and read the entire article in Korean.

I do know however that some sections of the line have been upgraded or built (or still under construction), but I think that we won't see a full HSR line from Mokpo to Busan
Old January 21st, 2015, 06:57 PM   #492
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Honam - Gyeongbu High Speed Line Junction in Osong

January 20. Source (and more photos): http://dynamicktx.oa.to/220077057995

Old January 22nd, 2015, 03:27 PM   #493
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Not thw worlds prettiest bridge lots of concrete poles
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:08 AM   #494
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan72 View Post
Not thw worlds prettiest bridge lots of concrete poles
Yes, all over the country the KTX tracks have huge concrete poles on its dedicated tracks. When you go to the countryside it doesn't look good at all to me.
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:23 AM   #495
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Is there a reason why the bridges are so ugly? Japan and China have elevated sections too, but they somehow blend with the scenery a lot better.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM   #496
goldbough

Likes (Received): 3366

I'm not really sure. Maybe they just wanted to build it and be done.
Old January 25th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #497
foxmulder

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Is there a reason why the bridges are so ugly? Japan and China have elevated sections too, but they somehow blend with the scenery a lot better.
Ugly?

I find them beautiful
foxmulder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #498
aquaticko

I kind of do, too. They're like 3 waves across the countryside, though frankly I'm guessing it's that conspicuous inconsistency you don't like. I'm not sure that Korea does them any better or worse than China or Japan; concrete viaduct is only ever going to be so pretty.

kimahrikku1, Sopomon liked this post
Old January 28th, 2015, 06:11 PM   #499
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Also I believe these are actual bridges over a river, not just a viaduct, the latter probably allows thinner pillars spaced farther apart.
Old January 28th, 2015, 08:30 PM   #500
JuaanAcosta
Juan Acosta

Likes (Received): 475

Hi people, there are any news about when the KTX-III (the commercial version of the HEMU-430X) will become operational?
JuaanAcosta no está en línea   Reply With Quote