daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 19th, 2015, 09:59 AM   #541
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
I'm quite surprised by how loud it is even from a distance.
Can you accurately judge actual real life noise levels from a video? I've seen plenty of examples where the noise in videos didn't match my real live experience, both in a positive and a negative way.

Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM   #542
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
Can you accurately judge actual real life noise levels from a video? I've seen plenty of examples where the noise in videos didn't match my real live experience, both in a positive and a negative way.
True, but I'm rather surprised that the camcorder's microphone was sensitive enough to pick up the sound of operation from so far away.

Standing just 500-750m away from the HSR here in Taiwan only lets you hear a low rumble--not a screaming jet engine.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Silver Swordsman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #543
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Swordsman View Post
True, but I'm rather surprised that the camcorder's microphone was sensitive enough to pick up the sound of operation from so far away.

Standing just 500-750m away from the HSR here in Taiwan only lets you hear a low rumble--not a screaming jet engine.
I didn't mind jet-like noise while recording because I thought it's inevitable in high speed after seeing this video.(jump to 01:14)

Rather I thought it's quite fast enough to sound jet screaming.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #544
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

You can expect trains to make that jet noise when doing 574 km/h running way over spec.

Regular cruising speeds during testing (around 300 km/h?) shouldn't create such noise. It would never pass any environmental study.

But I wasn't there, so I don't know if it's just the recording or if it's as noisy in reality.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 07:48 PM   #545
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
You can expect trains to make that jet noise when doing 574 km/h running way over spec.

Regular cruising speeds during testing (around 300 km/h?) shouldn't create such noise. It would never pass any environmental study.

But I wasn't there, so I don't know if it's just the recording or if it's as noisy in reality.
I mean that it creates jet noise especially when recording it from the distance angle chasing the high speed train, and HEMU-430X was testing above 400 km/h speed(slower than 574km/h for sure) .
Old April 1st, 2015, 05:20 PM   #546
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/h...augurated.html

Honam high speed railway inaugurated
01 Apr 2015

SOUTH KOREA: The 182·3 km Honam High Speed Railway serving the southwest of the country was formally opened by President Park-Geun-hye in a ceremony at Gwangju Songjeong station on April 1, attended by many VIPs and invited guests, including the heads of Korea Rail Network Authority and national operator Korail.

Developed by KR over the past five years, the new line diverges from the existing Seoul – Busan high speed line at Osong, where the station opened in 2010 has been expanded, and serves new stations at Gongju, Iksan, Jeongeup, and Gwangju Songjeong. The total construction cost is put at around 8 350bn won, which was funded by the national government.

Korail is due to start revenue KTX services over the new line on April 2, cutting the fastest journey times between Seoul and Gwangju from 2 h 40 min to just 90 min. Tickets for the new services have been on sale since March 13

Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:26 AM   #547
ruready1000

original image from wiki (modified)

Quote:
Two KTX Lines Begin Operations

The KTX line connecting Seoul and Pohang opened to the public this morning. The new route allows passengers to travel between the two cities in two and a half hours at a price of 52,600 won for a standard-class adult ticket. The Gwangju Honam KTX line also opened today. It directly links Seoul and Gwangju in roughly an hour and 45 minutes for 46,800 won per ticket.

source

Quote:
Southwest gets faster rail service

A new high-speed KTX train service that links Seoul and the nation’s southwestern region was launched Wednesday, amid anticipation that it will help balance development between the regions with shortened traveling times.

The Korea Train Express Honam will travel up to 300 kilometers per hour, cutting the fastest journey time between Seoul’s Yongsan station and Gwangju, 350 kilometers southwest of Seoul, from 157 minutes to 93 minutes.

“The opening of the Honam high speed line will mark a milestone in the country’s land and transportation development as it will deliver drastic regional economic growth and accelerate social and cultural exchange,” President Park Geun-hye said during the opening ceremony held at Gwangju Songjeong Station.

“With 25 trillion won worth of economic impact, the Honam high-speed line will promote brisk human exchanges and the relocation of businesses,” she added.

The president also said Gwangju has the opportunity to maximize benefits from the Korea-China free trade agreement as the city can now be reached in three hours from Incheon International Airport.

The launch of the new high-speed KTX railway comes nearly 11 years after Korea started the bullet train service on the Seoul-Busan line, covering the nation’s southeastern area.

Work on the Honam line began in 2009, with total construction costs reaching 8.39 trillion won ($7.6 billion).

Diverging at Osong from the Gyeongbu high speed line that links Seoul and Busan, the Honam high-speed line runs for 182 kilometers to Gwangju, serving stations at Gongju, Iksan and Jeongeup.

“The opening of the Honam high speed line is a revolutionary transportation service that enables passengers to travel the country in half of a day,” said Son Byung-suk, director of Railway Bureau at the Transport Ministry.

The southwestern metropolitan city of Gwangju, which has large international and domestic events this year, including the Summer Universiade in July, is expected to benefit the most from the new line due to greater accessibility.

A total of 68 KTX trains will operate on the new tracks. Ticket prices from Seoul’s Yongsan station to Gwangju Songjung are likely to be 46,800 won, up 9,000 won from the current price.

According to the Korea Transport Institute, more than 50 percent of passengers who used to travel by plane for the Seoul-Gwangju route are expected to opt for the bullet train due to cheaper tickets.

Modified KTX-Sancheon trains will be used on the route, with the trains featuring more legroom and electrical outlets at each seat.

By Park Han-na ([email protected])

source

dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:32 AM   #548
ruready1000

Honam HSR and Major Stations Aerial Footage | news clip

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old April 5th, 2015, 03:20 AM   #549
castermaild55

Likes (Received): 3059

The first day of operation on the Honam-KTX and already an incident: A small lid(?) at the front of the train opened 17 minutes after departure in Seoul. The crew then tried to close it with duck tape but as you can expect at the speed of over 200 km/h it didn't work and passengers had to change to another train.

http://www.wikitree.co.kr/main/news_view.php?id=213852

https://translate.google.com/transla...103&edit-text=

it is not a big problem there was a trouble
it is not able to bear the measures
it is disappeared by such thing that great effort was done

Last edited by castermaild55; April 5th, 2015 at 03:33 AM.
castermaild55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 04:31 AM   #550
nimedi

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by castermaild55 View Post
The first day of operation on the Honam-KTX and already an incident: A small lid(?) at the front of the train opened 17 minutes after departure in Seoul. The crew then tried to close it with duck tape but as you can expect at the speed of over 200 km/h it didn't work and passengers had to change to another train.

http://www.wikitree.co.kr/main/news_view.php?id=213852

https://translate.google.com/transla...103&edit-text=

it is not a big problem there was a trouble
it is not able to bear the measures
it is disappeared by such thing that great effort was done

Please provide source for your information:

https://www.facebook.com/Kojects/posts/524923224313815
Old April 5th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #551
SamuraiBlue

Likes (Received): 195

Well you can see in the photo the green duck tape all around the lid which speaks for itself.
SamuraiBlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 04:38 AM   #552
ruready1000

HONAM HSR

HONAM HSR

Old May 1st, 2015, 04:39 AM   #553
ruready1000

HONAM HSR

HONAM HSR

Old May 1st, 2015, 05:04 AM   #554
ruready1000

Gwangjusongjeong --> Jeongeup --> Iksan

Gwangjusongjeong --> Iksan

I tried to measure the speed on Honam HSR between Gwangjusongjeong and Iksan. When I traveled from Gwangjusonjeong to Iksan I took on a train making a stop at Jeongeup station and used a non-stop train on the return. I used a speedmeter app so that it might have some error.

krisu99, PredyGr, aquaticko, foxmulder liked this post
Old May 1st, 2015, 05:21 AM   #555
Jay

Likes (Received): 1864

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBlue View Post
Well you can see in the photo the green duck tape all around the lid which speaks for itself.
Ha I know, what is this, Delta airlines?
Jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2015, 10:12 AM   #556
ruready1000

HONAM HSR Driving Video | KTX-Sancheon | From Gwangjusongjeong to Jeongeup

dimlys1994, PredyGr, aquaticko liked this post
Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:22 AM   #557
Silver Swordsman

Likes (Received): 101

I dunno... the 60fps plus shaky-cam kinda got me sick...

I still appreciate the video as an excellent source of documentation on the new line though.
Old June 23rd, 2015, 06:07 PM   #558
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26123

Video on Suseo HSR line:

mrsmartman liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #559
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Suseo KTX (Suseo High Speed Railway) 50 km of tunnel has been completed today.

The Suseo KTX is planned to open by June 2016. This is the situation on Suseo Terminal Station in May 2015:

The same at the end of 2014:

dimlys1994, aquaticko, mrsmartman liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; June 26th, 2015 at 09:25 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2015, 01:21 AM   #560
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1031

I know one of the points of this is to give high-speed rail access to eastern Seoul, but is it also supposed to help free up the Gyeongbu HSL? I know it's at capacity and then some.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote