daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #621
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Contrasted with Koreans, in brief:

The 84 cars EMU-250 will be transformed in 12 7-car trains (commonly Saemaul or Mugunghwa trains are formed by 7 cars) or 14 6-car trains (ITX Saemaul EMU-150 style).

Considering the relations, the 14 6-car trains is the most feasible:

Quote:
Korail plans to use the EMUs on routes with a maximum operating speed of 200 km/h, including Cheongnyangni – Busan (48), Uijeongbu – Iksan (24) and Icheon – Mungyeong (12). In contrast to the KTX-Sancheon high speed trainsets, the EMU-250 will be optimised for routes where high passenger capacity and rapid acceleration and braking between relatively closely-spaced stations are more important than maximum speed.
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/p...-kmh-emus.html

Cheongnyangni – Busan (48) = 8 trains
Uijeongbu – Iksan (24) = 4 trains
Icheon – Mungyeong (12) = 2 trains

The Cheongnyangni – Busan could be possible with passing trains through the GTX but The C Line project from Uijeongbu Cheongnyangni and Geumjeong (Gyeongbu Classic, Line 1 and Line 4):

http://cafe.daum.net/kicha/ANj/42476

Look at 삼성 (Samseong) the other GTX line to 수서 (Suseo). Well, the Suseo HSL tunnel are ready to follow the Samseong - Seoul Station route (GTX A-Line).

The Uijeongbu – Iksan and Icheon – Mungyeong relations looks weird. The first needs the GTX or Subway Line 1 through service OR an updated Gyooe Line and then through Daegok–Sosa–Wonsi Line all the way to Iksan.

http://frdb.wo.to/

Current status: stopped

The Icheon - Mungyeong (Jungbu Naeryuk Line) is under construction, Icheon is on the new Gyeonggang Line (Pangyo - Yeoju) inaugurated this summer. 94 kilometers are under construction with Icheon - Chungju (54 km) scheduled opening by 2019 and Chungju - Mungyeong (40 km) by 2021.

https://namu.wiki/w/%EC%A4%91%EB%B6%...A5%99%EC%84%A0

Gusiluz, aquaticko, dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Sr.Horn; January 8th, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2017, 07:13 PM   #622
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1034

(Slightly cleaned-up Google Translate)

Quote:
Mokpo ~ Jeju submarine tunnel is promoted

2017.03.25 00:20:19

[The Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs] It is expected that the feasibility study on the construction of an undersea tunnel connecting Mokpo and Jeju Island will be positive. Jeollanam Province announced on the 24th that it held an interim report meeting on feasibility study service of 'Seoul-Jeju Express Railway' construction project on the 22nd.

The meeting was attended by 20 professors from various fields including university professors and companies interested in private investment. In this meeting, the consultation opinions of the Public Procurement Commission, the optimal route of the high-speed railway, and plans for the submarine tunnel section of the route (including design speed in the submarine tunnel) were reviewed. A comparative analysis of the demand for switching to the high-speed railway was also conducted.

The project will extend the Honam Express Railway to Jeju, and the total cost of the project is estimated to be 16.8 trillion won. The bridge between Mokpo and Haenam would be 66km, the bridge between Haenam and Bogil-do is 28km, and the submarine tunnel between Bogil-do and Jeju Island is planned at 73km.

Jeollanam province intends to propose to the government that the Mokpo-Jeju rail line be reflected in the plan for preliminary feasibility and the construction of the 4th national railway network.

Private investors who attended the meeting said that it is possible to participate in the Seoul-Jeju high-speed rail if the project is reflected in the government policy and only the economy (cost-benefit ratio) is secured.

Considering that this project would entail the construction of the world's longest undersea tunnel, these builders have the advantage of demonstrating advanced construction methods, providing they prioritize the attainment of international status over construction and railway operation revenues.

Professor Ko Seung-young of the Seoul National University Collaboration Foundation said, "If the Honam High-Speed ​​Railway passes through Muan International Airport and the construction of Jeju's second airport is prioritized over the construction of the Seoul-Jeju Express Railway, I think the plan may not stand in its current form. In addition, it is expected that economic feasibility analysis (cost-benefit analysis) will be out by May, and that the economic feasibility will be higher than the business feasibility study service conducted by the Ministry of Land".

"When the Seoul-Jeju high-speed railway is built, a tourist belt will be constructed connecting the Seoul and Jeju areas, and the coast of the South Sea will see development," said Kim Jung-seon, director general of construction in Jeollanam province. "We will thoroughly verify the economic feasibility of the project. Jeju Island can become a more accessible tourism hub, and tourism synergy will be expected."
So, it sounds positive, as long as the central government can be persuaded. It's as I'd thought of it--no, it may not be financially profitable for a very very long time, but as a type of economic stimulus and (to put it unkindly) vanity project for Korean construction and engineering companies, it's a great value, and there are of course environmental benefits from reducing flights on the world's busiest air route, as well.

Notably, there's no estimated timeframe for construction or completion.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM   #623
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

The pilot operation of the bilevel KTX will begin this coming summer.

KBS News 19-04-2017

aquaticko liked this post
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:13 AM   #624
kimahrikku1

Likes (Received): 7206

Destruction of new Seoul Station and underground Seoul Station - Noryangjin Station section

A new project has been proposed. A very big project if I might say. As mentioned, the entire Seoul Station would be rebuilt underground. As part of the project:

- The " Modern" Seoul Station would be demolished (see picture of the current station)

http://alog.auric.or.kr/JC/Post/b66c...9e792ece5.aspx

It's big but it's a bit of a mess with various parts. Nothing to be ashamed of, but there is certainly an argument for rebuilding it, underground or not

- All the lines would be rebuilt underground, in a grid pattern, instead of the current layout which is a bit of a mess.
- It would allow for the addition of new lines, such as the Shinbundang line (late 2020s), Shinansan line (line 2020s), GTX A (2023), (mid 2020s), as well as the existing AREX, Gyeongui-Jungang, KTX, regular train lines. Subway lines 1 and 4 would stay where they are currently, slight East of the other tracks.
- The railroads would then be rebuilt underground for the entire Seoul Station - Noryangjin station section (including Yongsan station). The existing overground section would then be replaced by a park, as has been the case recently for the Gyeongui Line Forest Park for example, although that new park would be wider. This project is also related to the Yongsan US garrison park transformation, which should be completed by 2027.

Sounds very interesting, although many questions remain regarding feasibility and financing

http://news.chosun.com/site/data/htm...051300180.html
kimahrikku1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 10:40 PM   #625
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Hyundai Rotem presented the prototype or something similar of EMU-250, a new High Speed Train for Korea. All the photos:

http://blog.naver.com/npbs1122/221012194470

Old May 24th, 2017, 01:59 AM   #626
aquaticko

Many more photos on the link!

I think they're very attractive, and I'm loving that blue-gray exterior color. Here's to hoping they keep that for production!

At the same time, I see that they're just doing extending steps from the doors to the platforms, when really, Korail should begin the process of raising their platforms for level boarding. Expensive, yes, but totally worth it for ease of use, especially for the elderly and disabled.
Old August 29th, 2017, 08:39 AM   #627
kimahrikku1

Gangneung Station

Here's a picture from Gangneung Station, currently being rebuilt ahead of the 2018 Pyeongchang Olympics. I was actually there in mid-July. It's an interesting shape and structure. Also, the new station will be over the tracks, so it's easier to access from the North side (near where the venues will be located). The neighborhood surrounding the station is really not so great though. Since the station was previously pretty much abandoned or freight only, there were only hardware stores, storage facilities or factories around the station. And I didn't see much construction around the station, so we'll see if they get more high-end dining and shopping options.

The new station will open in December.

Mostly unrelated news, but I'll probably go see the Olympics myself. Don't know if I'll go to Pyeongchang (snow) or Gangneung (ice) yet. I'll keep you posted.

http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0009503494
Old August 30th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #628
aquaticko

I'd been wondering about the station in Gangneung. The current station is perfectly located in the middle of the city, near the coast. Even if it wasn't great prior to this redesign, it certainly has a lot of potential to be a locus for center city development.

From what I'd read about the line to Pyeongchang and the east coast, there is/was a plan for a Gangneung South station, which would be well outside the city in Gujeong-myeon. Maybe that will be additional to this redesigned station in the city center.

I'm not sure if the new Donghae line (single-tracked and non-electrified for now, currently built up to Yeongdeok, immediately north of Pohang) will be built into Gangneung station or Nam-Gangneung station, but transfers between the two will hopefully be easy (maybe a bus shuttle between the two if Nam-Gangneung station is built?). In any case, I'm glad that the east coast is finally getting some rail love .
Old August 30th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #629
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'd been wondering about the station in Gangneung. The current station is perfectly located in the middle of the city, near the coast. Even if it wasn't great prior to this redesign, it certainly has a lot of potential to be a locus for center city development.

From what I'd read about the line to Pyeongchang and the east coast, there is/was a plan for a Gangneung South station, which would be well outside the city in Gujeong-myeon. Maybe that will be additional to this redesigned station in the city center.

I'm not sure if the new Donghae line (single-tracked and non-electrified for now, currently built up to Yeongdeok, immediately north of Pohang) will be built into Gangneung station or Nam-Gangneung station, but transfers between the two will hopefully be easy (maybe a bus shuttle between the two if Nam-Gangneung station is built?). In any case, I'm glad that the east coast is finally getting some rail love .

Yes, there are plans for a small stadium named South Gangneung located, well, South of Gangeung. I haven't found many updates, but from what I understand, the small station is in fact getting built ahead of the opening of the railroad. Or at least they're building the terrain around it to actually open this station a few years down the road when the Donghae Line gets completely built and the demand increases.

When looking at the Gyeonggang Line Westward to Wonju (and up to Seoul for the initial service, althouth the section between Cheongnyangni and West Wonju is actually part of the Jungang Line, but who cares), it doesn't make much sense having the tracks loop south of the city and build a station in the middle of nowhere.

But the purpose of this station is different, and you had the right idea. The big problem is that the current Gangeung station is a terminus station on the North-South Donghae line. So to connect the Gyeonggang and the Donghae line, you would have to demolish parts of the city to make way for the new rail tracks. Which is extremely costly and time consuming. Also, and although this was probably not the key factor, the current alignment has tracks entering the station from the West. So any connection to the Gyenggang line would have been on the East, with the need to loop back to the West on the northern part of town (the one which has the best sights and where building railroads is the most damaging to the environment). So such a connection would have been extremely costly, hardly feasible, not good for the environment, and would have not been effective with a huge "S" pattern (or "?" pattern) to connect the line. So instead, they will have the Donghae line and Gyeonggang Line connect more "naturally" to the south, by passing Gangneung and with a through station at South Gangeung instead.

As we discussed on another thread, I think this is a sensible option. There is less than 3 kilometers as the crow flies between South Gangneung Station and the actual urban area of the city, so it won't require building huge roads, crazy bus transfers or expensive taxi fares (unlike say, New Ulsan or new Pohang). I think an important factor is that the area around the new station and between the station and the town center is fairly flat, the the urban area could be filled up between these two.

Right now, I don't really know if they're really operate the station right away though. There will be no need for it during the Olympics, and the Donghae line (at least the section connected to Gangeung) only extends to Samcheok. As you said, the Donghae line will in the end reach all the way to Pohang (and actually all the way to Masan), so at that time the station will probably truly become useful.

https://namu.wiki/w/%EB%82%A8%EA%B0%...A6%89%EC%97%AD
Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:32 AM   #630
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12550

yesterday S Korea national fund success to take over "LONDON~PARIS" High speed EURO STAR railway's management right (HS1: 109㎞ length )
http://news.mk.co.kr/newsRead.php?year=2017&no=576721

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

Paolonutini98 liked this post
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 12:46 PM   #631
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Seems like a risky move with Brexit just around the corner in March 2019. I'm glad it's not my pension they're gambling with.

That said: I, for one, welcome our new Korean overlords.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #632
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Gyeonggang KTX

MOLIT released a cab-view of the Gyeonggang High Speed Line between Gangneung and Wonju.

The "Olympic Line" will connect Incheon Airport with Pyeongchang and Gangneung via the Jungang Line.

The following video was shot between Gangneung and Manjong Station (closest to Wonju city).

The new 120km line starts at Seowonju (link with Jungang Line) with stations in Manjong (Wonju), Hoengseong, Dunnae, Pyeongchang, Jinbu(Odaesan) and Gangneung.

http://frdb.wo.to/ / https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/경강선

aquaticko, Equario, Jobber liked this post
Old November 12th, 2017, 04:17 AM   #633
aquaticko

Only thing I don't understand is kind of a repeat of prior confusions viz a vis Korean rail development, i.e., the distance of stations from major attractions and population centers.

The closest station to the main Olympics site is 10-15km away, in Jinbu-myeon, despite there being plenty of flat, open land to build on near the Olympics (which also would've been far closer to the population center of Daegwallyeong-myeon). The station that a lot of uninformed foreigners will use to get to the Pyeongchang Olympics--Pyeongchang Station--is in the middle of nowhere, with only SNU's Pyeongchang campus within walking distance.

The point of a train is supposed to be that it drops you off near centers of activity so that you can walk or bike to whatever it is your final destination is. Sticking a bus or taxi ride on that "last mile" really seems to defeat the point, and yet we see this same scenario playing out at just about every opportunity in rail development in South Korea--with a notable, new, happy exception to being this new line's eastern terminus, in downtown Gangneung.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #634
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Seems this is a common issue (or mistake) also committed by Chinese and Taiwanese HSR builders.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 11:26 AM   #635
kimahrikku1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Only thing I don't understand is kind of a repeat of prior confusions viz a vis Korean rail development, i.e., the distance of stations from major attractions and population centers.

The closest station to the main Olympics site is 10-15km away, in Jinbu-myeon, despite there being plenty of flat, open land to build on near the Olympics (which also would've been far closer to the population center of Daegwallyeong-myeon). The station that a lot of uninformed foreigners will use to get to the Pyeongchang Olympics--Pyeongchang Station--is in the middle of nowhere, with only SNU's Pyeongchang campus within walking distance.

The point of a train is supposed to be that it drops you off near centers of activity so that you can walk or bike to whatever it is your final destination is. Sticking a bus or taxi ride on that "last mile" really seems to defeat the point, and yet we see this same scenario playing out at just about every opportunity in rail development in South Korea--with a notable, new, happy exception to being this new line's eastern terminus, in downtown Gangneung.

I agree that it's unfortunate that there will be no Daegwanryeong / Hoenggye / Alpensia (whatever you want to call it) station. However, I'd be a little less harsh on the location of Korean stations. I don't think there's any country that's perfect in this regard. And Korea is rugged, very dense (which mean there's a huge cost difference between building railroads in plains and in urban areas / valleys / mountains), and unlike Japan or Taiwan, is not built across a straight line, which makes rail network more complex and less efficient.

One good example is the Gyeongbu HSR segment between Daegu and Busan. The line makes a significant detour to reach the cities of Gyeongju and Ulsan. And yet, both New Gyeongju Station and New Ulsan station are located a bit far away from the cities in sparsely populated areas. Which means that it's easy to criticize the end result. But what were the alternatives:
- Go straight from Daegu to Busan. That would mean picking up no passengers along the way and reducing the overall use of the line. You could always make a stop at Miryang, which is a small city with little significance. In the end, going straight would only cut about 10 minutes on the Daegu - Busan route, and you wouldn't have all the traffic coming from the traffic from the huge industrial city of Ulsan, and from the touristic city of Gyeongju (and indirectly, Pohang). Plus, since there is still some traffic on the Gyeongju conventional line around Miryang with decent service, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to diversify destinations
- Go all the way to Gyeongju and Ulsan centers along the East Sea. I guess you could make it to Ulsan (Taehwagang station) with some line realignment, which is quite costly in urbanized area, but for Gyeongju, it would have been a nightmare. Gyeongju Station has a North-South orientation, and the Gyeongbu HSR would have needed to loop all the way around Gyeongju and its historical area. This would have been hugely costly, time-consuming, and the added convenient would have lengthened the route by I'd say around 15 minutes. Tough to justify it.

And we have similar issues going on on the Gyeonggang Line as well. Many tough calls to make on the line.
-Gangneung / South Gangneung Station. The current station is a terminus station, and a single track links to the area near the future South Gangneung Station which is scheduled to link the Gyeonggang and Donghae Central Line (through Yeongdong Line, it's a bit of a mess what will happen once the full line is completed). You could have tried and build through the city to turn Gangneung Station into a through station, but with huge land reclamation and environmental costs, and added transit time.
-The Daegwanryeong / Hoenggye / Alpensia was I think planned at some point, but they decided to build a huge tunnel from Jinbu to Gangneung. Since the Daegwanryeong plateau is at a higher elevation point, it would have probably necessitated an underground station and huge costs. Also, the station would have been far enough from Alpensia / Yongpyeong that travelers would have needed to take a shuttle anyway. I agree that Daegwanryeong is more "urban" than Jinbu (Olympic site, ski resorts, more plains), but it's still a very small town. It would have cost a huge amount of money for something that will truly be useful for two weeks, and which would have hardly been economical afterwards in the long run. And then you have the problem of adding stations everywhere and increasing transit time some more. So in any case it was probably an either/or situation. Build the slightly less well located station of Jinbu, or the way more expensive one at Daegwanryeong which would only have made a huge difference for 2 weeks. And in any case, Daegwanryeong will only host a small portion of the games. All the ice events are in Gangneung, and Jongseon (downhill, Super G) as well as Phoenix Park (freestyle skiing, snowboard) have quite a few events as well.
- Dunnae / Pyeongchang Stations: one serves WelliHilly Resort and the other one Phoenix Park + SNU Pyeongchang. I agree it's one station too many, don't know which one to cut though. And yes, it would have probably made more sense to name Jinbu Station "Pyeongchang", I don't know what went through their mind.
- Hoengseong Station: It's small, but I mean it's near the County Office, I think we can let this one be.
- Manjong Station: aka North Wonju Station. Another tough call. With the track alignment at Wonju Station, it would have been difficult going through the old station (long detour + costly). West Wonju is actually quite far from the city center, unlike Manjong, so Manjong actually makes more sense, I think it's a good station, provided then they don't have most of the trains also stop at West Wonju.

But there are still some many questions regarding the overall services they will provide. The line is not designed for KTX, unlike what was advertised. They will discontinue most KTX service after the Olympics. But we don't really know if they will simply reduce the service, or have it replaced by ITX service. After 2020, EMU 250 will enter into service and the problem will be solved. By then Korail has been slow to release much information. Gangwon people won't like it but if the Osong-Pyeongtaek section can handle it, I'd rather have trains used on the Gyeongbu / Honam HSR lines rather than use KTX just for the sake on it, operating on a line with limited capacity at slow speed. And wait until 2020 for decent service.

The services which will be proposed during/after the Olympics also have many question marks. Incheon Airport station will only operate for the Olympics, but then, the big issue is to see if the base station in Seoul should be Seoul, Yongsan, or Cheongyangni (and even Mangu). Gangwon politicians want it to be Seoul Station because it generates more traffic, but using the very slow Jungang Line section with high-speed trains will be a mess. And since everyone wants to redevelop North-East Seoul, and that Cheongyangni will get GTX and Suseo KTX, I think that in the long term it makes sense to start most trains at Cheongyangni. Also, what about the subway section of the Jungang Line? How often will the high-speed trains stop? Will (Should) there be stops at Yangpyeong or other stations? The overall timetable during/after the Olympics is still unclear.

Then there are long term questions. I touched on the EMU 250 but there are also new train projects to join the fleet: EMU 300, and EMU 180, as well as the realigned Jungang Line (section south from Wonju going to Andong/Gyeongju)and the Donghae Central Line which will bring new connections (which is both an opportunity and a challenge) to the line.
Old November 15th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #636
aquaticko

My main issue in this particular case is the station naming issue. They're going to have a lot of upset tourists, going to the wrong station for the Olympics, unless they really advertise the route so people know where to go for all the events, but I suppose that's more an issue for the Olympics advertisers than Korail.

On the bigger issue of station location, I still think that it would've been worth it to, whenever possible, put HSR stations in or at least near city stations. It just seems to me that there was little to no effort to integrate high speed rail in Korea with the rest of either public transit services or urban fabric.

Even in Taiwan, they've built a number of lines to integrate THSR into city transit networks, going so far as to build rail lines which connect more remote THSR stations to city centers--the Shalun and Liujia spur lines. I'd love to see some kind of service, even a BRT, which connects all of the rail stations in Gyeongju and Wonju, so that people can navigate Korea's dense, older city centers on foot, and then travel to newer areas around rail stations with public transit.

It would just be a shame to see South Korea's massive investments in the rail network not pay off because stations are so far from city centers. As I'd mentioned elsewhere, the brand-new from the ground up, greenfield Inno cities developments don't even seem to be located near these important investments, either; e.g., Wonju's is basically on the opposite side of the city from Seowonju, Namwonju, or Manjong stations. Not designing these projects to leverage any of the transportation improvements made possible by high-quality rail service just seems like a huge and unnecessary waste.
Old November 15th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #637
Gusiluz
Jaén (Spain)

Likes (Received): 10885

Passengers 2004/2016

We already have the data of the number of passengers in the different HSR of Korea, although I did not find the Passengers.km, which are the most significant.
If you do not know the number of passengers.km you can not know the average distance in km, which has dropped significantly over the years.

Note that the "Ocupación" (occupation) shows the number of passengers divided by the number of seats, so it can exceed 100%. In a commuter line you can reach much higher rates.
On the other hand the "Aprovechamiento" (use) is the result of dividing the Passengers.km between the seats.km which really indicates what % of seats have been occupied during the whole journey. In HST the maximum would be 100% if all the seats were occupied during the whole journey.

The 2016 data come from this page, but I can not find the Passengers.km.

aquaticko, kimahrikku1, PredyGr liked this post
Gusiluz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #638
doc7austin

Likes (Received): 810

I was travelling with the South Korean high-speed train KTX from Seoul Yongsan to Iksan via Gyeongbu High-Speed Railway (Seoul - Busan) and the Honam High-Speed Railway (Osong - Mokpo).
Train is operated by a KTX-Sancheon class 110000, built by Hyundai Rotem;
The journey takes just 1 hour and 6 minutes to cover 240 kilometers between Seoul and Iksan.

Full video of the journey:

Enjoy!
Old December 22nd, 2017, 04:33 AM   #639
kimahrikku1

Opening of the Gyeonggang Line

Also known as the Wonju-Gangneung or Seoul-Gangneung Line, the Gyeonggang Line will improve transportation to the Gangwon province, and be a key asset for the Olympics.

The line opened this morning. The line puts Gangneung City 114 minutes away from Seoul Station, and 86 minutes away from Cheongnyangni Station in eastern Seoul. Jinbu and Pyeongchang station, which will be the base for the snow events at the Olympics, will be reached even quicker.

Eastbound trains depart from Seoul, Cheongnyangni or Sangbong Station, and use the refurbished Jungang Line until Seowonju Station, which is the beginning point of the actual Gyeonggang Line, which is 118 kilometers long.

The full project is for the Gyeonggang Line to be extended to Incheon, bypassing Seoul by the pass, using the Gyeonggang Line section of the Seoul Metropolitan Subway, and the Wolgyo-Pangyo and Yeoju-Wonju lines, still under planning.

http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr/bulletin...ML?input=1195m

http://news.donga.com/3/all/20171222/87866811/2

http://www.etnews.com/20171222000036
Old December 22nd, 2017, 05:39 AM   #640
aquaticko

Glad to see this project come to fruition; I've always wanted to visit Gangneung, and it'll be that much easier now. Except....

Another entirely new rail service, new stations, without level boarding platforms. Why??