daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #101
miamipaintball

Likes (Received): 50

the roads look really bad, even compared to rural America.
miamipaintball no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #102
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

I do not think there are new (modern) roads built in Moldova, but they are doing a relativelly good job at maintaining them. There are good connections from Romania to Chisinau, though the rest of the country roads may be in poorer condition. As far as I could see, roads in Moldova are a bit better than in Ukraine. I do not know about Belarus though. They may have better roads.
Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #103
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipaintball View Post
I don't think it is fair to combare MD roads with US ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Clerk View Post
I do not think there are new (modern) roads built in Moldova, but they are doing a relativelly good job at maintaining them. There are good connections from Romania to Chisinau, though the rest of the country roads may be in poorer condition. As far as I could see, roads in Moldova are a bit better than in Ukraine. I do not know about Belarus though. They may have better roads.
Belarus has good roads. Last evening I took a look at [BY] Belarusian Motorways & Magistrales and I had a great surprise. Take a look at that thread and after you will see the pictures posted maybe you will think that they heve better roads than Romania (at least I tought so).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamipaintball View Post
Keep in mind the per capita income in Moldova is only 3% of that in the United States. ($ 46,300 vs $ 1,500).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Belarus has good roads. Last evening I took a look at [BY] Belarusian Motorways & Magistrales and I had a great surprise.
Yeah, Belarus probably has the best roads east of the European Union, and probably better than Romania and Bulgaria as well.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #105
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Yeah, Belarus probably has the best roads east of the European Union, and probably better than Romania and Bulgaria as well.
At least they have a motorway (or 2x2 main road) that crosses the country from one end to the other (M1 Polish border - Minsk - Russian border). Romania and Bulgaria are still far away from this dream.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Belarus has many other motorways in the wider Minsk region as well. Moldova has only a few 4-lane roads around Chişinău.

I've read the Chişinău - Leuşeni road is the best in Moldova.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #107
asotUA
Audicted Driver.

Likes (Received): 1418

Are we including Transdnistria here?
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:32 AM   #108
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I guess so, although it's de-facto independent (Moldovan authorities have no influence there whatsoever), but no UN member recognizes Transnistria. You could open a new thread about Transnistria, but I wouldn't recommend it, as they tend to die out pretty fast (this Moldovan thread isn't very active either).
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #109
asotUA
Audicted Driver.

no thanks..just wondered, maybe someone got pics of roads there. I just heard rumors before that life over in de-facto is better than on the other side...but who know's, rumours are just rumours...
I did find a video or a road's part if anyone wants to see it

P.S At least their mafia ran football team FC Sheriff Tiraspol is recognized internationally by UEFA
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM   #110
asotUA
Audicted Driver.

more on Moldova. Not bad.
Old August 19th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #111
Bad_Hafen
BANNED

Likes (Received): 160

The roads there are HUGE
Bad_Hafen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:44 AM   #112
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by asotUA View Post
P.S At least their mafia ran football team FC Sheriff Tiraspol is recognized internationally by UEFA
Football clubs from Transdnistria compete normally in the Moldovan league and cup - it may be a wise thing to do as otherwise they could not play on international level.

PS. Sorry for the offtopic.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

M14 between Balti and Tiraspol seems to be made out of concrete slabs, and it features interchanges every now and then. Maybe it was meant to be some kind of motorway in Soviet times.

Old October 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM   #114
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post
Football clubs from Transdnistria compete normally in the Moldovan league and cup - it may be a wise thing to do as otherwise they could not play on international level.
I don`t support that - it`s eliminating one of the last positive aspects of living in Transnistria for these people
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #115
sotonsi

hi guys, are L roads signed?
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM   #116
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Well, I got to see some Moldovan roads last week. I went from Odessa to Chişinău by bus, via the border crossing near Starokozache (the route). I did this to avoid Transdnistria. On my way back I took the train via Tiraspol, so I also did get to see a little of Transdnistria.

About the roads: the Moldovan border station is quite new, as is the road that leads to it from the Moldovan side. Road quality is good there. However, after about 10 km there were roadworks and after that the roads became "Moldovan": full of potholes and lots of visible tracks. The bus was driving in the middle of the road and only went to the correct lane when there were cars coming from the other side. Overtaking sometimes even happens via the roadside on the right rather than via the other lane as you can drive faster over the unpaved and dusty roadside than on the other lane. The busride of 210 km took about 6h30, including 2h at the border. I don't know about other roads in Moldova, but what I heard from other tourists in Moldova is that it isn't much better. Most roads in Chişinău are quite okay though: roads are wide and the pavement quality is relavitely good. Traffic is crazy though.

Unfortunately I've hardly got any pictures, because we only stopped at the border and they were quite strict about taking pictures there, so I did'nt. Furthermore, I was in a bus and I didn't get the front seat so taking pictures along the way also was impossible. Still it was interesting to have seen some Moldovan roads.

Ukrainian roads are slightly better than Moldovan roads, at least the ones that I've seen. The roads out of Odessa were good, but as soon as we turned on the M15, just outside Odessa, it got worse. Still it wasn't as bad as in Moldova. Luckily we sometimes see some pictures of Ukrainian roads here, which give a better view than my 100 km of Ukrainian road experience
Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:56 AM   #117
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Pics or you weren't there.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM   #118
czerwony_bo_szybszy

Likes (Received): 2

I spent 1 day in Moldova recently, in the city Ungheni
impession:
the road was not so bad, better than a lot of Romania`s roads, very low traffic, nobody uses lights, the only problem was border - they asked if we have guns or amunition and when they saw oregano in our luggage they wanted to call anti-drugs police;
the romanian policeman on border asked if it`s dangerous in MD said "it isn`t dangeous. Russia is dangerous ;D"

[IMG]http://oi56.************/1enadi.jpg[/IMG]
czerwony_bo_szybszy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #119
danielstan

Location: Pitesti, RO // Helsinki Final Act 1975, Point 3) Inviolability of frontiers
Likes (Received): 407

I know that people living in Transnistria have Russian passports to travel abroad.
But, being separatists, Transnistria has a currency, car plates and other 'national' symbols.
Until recently cars registered in Transnistria were allowed to travel in Moldova, with "Transnistrian" car plates.
There was a proposal of a law to forbide them in Chisinau, but I don't know the result.
There are "officials" from Transnistria (even ministers) that own appartments in Chisinau and travel freely there.
----------------------
The name of the country is, in Romanian, Moldova, while in Russian is Moldavia.
This is why before 1989 in English dictionary you could find the expression Moldavian which now is Moldovan.

The Russian name seems to came from the latinized name of the country in the Middle Ages.
There was a Moldovan king Dimitrie Cantemir which got political asylum in Russia and written "Descriptio Moldaviae" in Latin.

Last edited by danielstan; August 26th, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
danielstan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #120
khoojyh
No more world war !!!

Location: Eastern Garden,City of Twins, Merlion City, Good Little Bay
Likes (Received): 51

not that good.... need to improve
khoojyh no está en línea   Reply With Quote