daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #121
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Likes (Received): 12044

Moldova to run tenders for the 93 km road linking Soroca to Sarateni - a $130 million project funded by the US Compact Program:

Castles and Mansions in Romania
Le Clerk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #122
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Question:
Is Moldova a safe country (i.e. with regards to violent crime). I heard that that country is the poorest in Europe. They even say that it's poorer than the Philippines.

In fact, I'm think that Georgia (the country) is even at least slightly ahead of Moldova in terms of economy, safety and security, etc.

So what do you think?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #123
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Question:
Is Moldova a safe country (i.e. with regards to violent crime). I heard that that country is the poorest in Europe. They even say that it's poorer than the Philippines.

In fact, I'm think that Georgia (the country) is even at least slightly ahead of Moldova in terms of economy, safety and security, etc.

So what do you think?
The area controlled by Moldovan government (the great majority) is probably safer than most thirth world countries (Africa, Latin America,...)
It's not recomended to go to the half-indipendent region of Transnistria: police is corrupt and there is a huge drug and weapons smuggling.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #124
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

We have on the Romanian forum a thread about dream motorway networks. A fellow forumer made a dream motorway for Moldova:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiN View Post
Na uite c-am reusit si performanta asta

Harta posibilei retele de autostrazi din Moldova

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:04 PM   #125
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Question:

So what do you think?
Moldova is actually very safe, apart from the facct that they have this wonderful habit of drinking and driving. In terms of GDP per capita it is poorer than the Phil, but in terms of standard of living and quality of life (i.e. dwelling, socioeconomic differences, etc.) it fares somewhat better. Georgia is somewhat ahead of Moldova when it comes to the economy, but you wouldn't notice any particular difference.
Now back to topic, I heard that they are planning massive overhaul of their local road network. As soon as I lay my hands upon something more concrete, I'll post it!
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #126
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1577

Quote:
Question:

So what do you think?
If we'll based on the intentional homicide rates per 100,000 people, I think Moldova is a safe country (safer than Mexico and Indonesia)... But Philippines and Georgia are safer than Moldova.... GDP Per Capita-wise, Georgia has the highest and Moldova has the lowest among the three.(same level as Vietnam/India)... But in Human Development Index which determines if the country is developing/developed, Georgia ranked 75th (ahead of Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Macedonia, China and Thailand... Moldova ranked 111th and Philippines ranked 112th..... not a big difference between Moldova and Philippines.

anyway, I expect something better about roads in Moldova...
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #127
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

M3:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51784270
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #128
areal51

Likes (Received): 89

R7 Costesti (Ro border) - M14 (north Balti)

Romanian (EU) border:

the Dam on the Prut river, Stanca-Costesti lake to the left side:

Moldavian Customs:

diesel aprox 1.05 euro/liter

entering M14 (keeping the old USSR numbering road), we are going to south(Balti-Chisinau) here
areal51 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #129
areal51

M14 Bălţi-Chişinău

map:

entering M14 (asphalt ):

entry in Balti:

to chisinau by west ring:

Sculeni - border near Iasi (Ro)

Balti-Chisinau concrete road, 100kmh average, within 3-4km of villages

next post
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #130
areal51

hehe

in Ro (Md): "borna kilometrica"

the other side:

next post
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:47 AM   #131
areal51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Weird interchange north of Chisinau:
[IMG]http://i37.************/2d9qkae.jpg[/IMG]
this is, we are going from west to south:

all the pics here
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM   #132
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
The area controlled by Moldovan government (the great majority) is probably safer than most thirth world countries (Africa, Latin America,...)
It's not recomended to go to the half-indipendent region of Transnistria: police is corrupt and there is a huge drug and weapons smuggling.
I've been to both places several times. My experience has been the opposite of yours. From what I saw and experienced, corruption was rampant in Moldova, along with human trafficking. I never saw or experienced any sort of corruption in Transnistria. No one ever even hinted for a bribe. Transnistria felt completely safe in an almost spooky police state sort of way. Transnistria seemed like it would be a very dangerous place for criminals. That's not to say corruption is nonexistent in Transnistria; there probably is some. I just never saw any evidence of it.

I think the biggest clue about safety is that I frequently saw young women walking alone in Tiraspol, day and night, apparently without fear. I never saw young women walking alone in Chisinau -- not even during the day.

I hear that corruption in Moldova is down dramatically over the last year or two (since a change of government) but I haven't been there for a few years, so it's just hearsay. Your experience may vary.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #133
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling

I've been to both places several times. My experience has been the opposite of yours. From what I saw and experienced, corruption was rampant in Moldova, along with human trafficking. I never saw or experienced any sort of corruption in Transnistria. No one ever even hinted for a bribe. Transnistria felt completely safe in an almost spooky police state sort of way. Transnistria seemed like it would be a very dangerous place for criminals. That's not to say corruption is nonexistent in Transnistria; there probably is some. I just never saw any evidence of it.

I think the biggest clue about safety is that I frequently saw young women walking alone in Tiraspol, day and night, apparently without fear. I never saw young women walking alone in Chisinau -- not even during the day.

I hear that corruption in Moldova is down dramatically over the last year or two (since a change of government) but I haven't been there for a few years, so it's just hearsay. Your experience may vary.
Never been nor in Moldova neither in Transnistria. I've some friends who did volunteering in Chisinau. They didn't have problems, the only thing they said is that poor people use to grow marijuana along the streets to sell it to drug traffiker. About Transnistria, I saw a report on Italian TV that described it as a lawless place ruled by crime, the European centre of weapons, drug and human traffiking.
So, I did my supposition based on fragmentary info and they were aparently wrong.
Is true that people from Transnistria can't go to Europe? And that torturing political prisoners is common?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #134
vatse

Likes (Received): 729

Nice report but awful roads
vatse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #135
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Is true that people from Transnistria can't go to Europe?
Some Transnistrian politicians are barred from entering the EU. Everyone else can in accordance with whatever rules apply to the passport they have.
Quote:
And that torturing political prisoners is common?
According to Amnesty International, torture was common in Moldovan prisons under the previous regime, but not in Transnistria. I haven't seen the latest Amnesty International report, but it seems that the new regime in Moldova has been trying to put a stop to human trafficking, torture, etc.

I didn't see any big difference in roads between the two.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #136
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by areal51 View Post
Nice report! What's that blue car on the left? Once I saw it here in 1990s, it had Lithuanian license plates.
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #137
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Nice report! What's that blue car on the left? Once I saw it here in 1990s, it had Lithuanian license plates.
It's a Volga M-21 made by GAZ in the USSR
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #138
Le Clerk
AUTOBANN.ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Some Transnistrian politicians are barred from entering the EU. Everyone else can in accordance with whatever rules apply to the passport they have.

According to Amnesty International, torture was common in Moldovan prisons under the previous regime, but not in Transnistria. I haven't seen the latest Amnesty International report, but it seems that the new regime in Moldova has been trying to put a stop to human trafficking, torture, etc.

I didn't see any big difference in roads between the two.
Transnistria is a lawless place even for Russia itself, let alone for its own citizens. Last year, Smirnov ordered the arrest of several Russian journalist from the main TV station NIT, for the reason they were reporting on the massive theft by the Smirnov family of the Russian aid to the region (reportedly, by Russian media, 1/3 of Russian aid was pickpocketed by "the family"). The whole place was controlled by the Smirnov family, including the media and the internet, the Sheriff company being the only ISP provider last year. He was removed by Russia during elections last year including for those reasons above. If anything, there is litle known to the outside world in terms of human rights in Transnistria. I had some friends from the US who visited the place and said they felt like going from communism into western Europe when they crossed into Moldova. The place is almost as weird as North Korea and not a far cry from it.

Anyway, let's get back to roads. I'll post later some serious projects going on in Moldova.

Last edited by Le Clerk; April 19th, 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old April 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #139
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
It's a Volga M-21 made by GAZ in the USSR
Thanks, I thought it was a Volga. It was quite slow, so we overtook it.
Old April 20th, 2012, 12:03 AM   #140
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Moldova has good road signalisation, but roads are awful...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote