daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > KwaZulu-Natal > Durban > Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM   #1
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 352

#Durban Beachfront Redevelopment - Mixed Use - Durban | Under Construction

The Durban beachfront redevelopment is focussed on redesigning the public spaces of the beachfront from Ushaka in the south, to Country club beach in the north. It's a mamouth project spread over 4.5km.

There will be key focus nodes namely:

Addington
South Beach
New Pier
Diary beach
And the area around Mini town

Lets take a look at each...

Thanx to Durbsboi for the initial find of all this info!!

The overview of the whole development is below and a high res version can be found at the following link: http://www.durban.gov.za/durban/disc...eachfront-plan

Last edited by dysan1; December 3rd, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
dysan1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 3rd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
dysan1
More development

From DB...

South Beach plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi View Post
Durban Central Beachfront Upgrade

The eThekwini Municipality proposes to upgrade the Durban Central Beachfront in preparation for the 2010 FIFA Football World CupTM. The proposal includes plans to extend the Central Beachfront promenade from uShaka Beach to Country Club Beach and to redevelop facilities at Addington Beach, New Beach, Dairy Beach and the area around the existing XL Restaurant as well as to upgrade the Mini-town facility.

The upgrade and extension needs environmental authorisation from the KZN Department of Agriculture and Environmental Affairs through a Basic Assessment process. Sustainable Development Projects has been appointed to run the Basic Assessment Process and ERM has been appointed to manage the public participation process.

Become Involved
• Register as an Interested and Affected Party
• Request a Copy of the Background Information Document
• Send us any Comments you have by 22 January 2009
• Attend a Public Meeting on 22 January 2009 at 17:00 at The Blue Waters Hotel, 175 Snell Parade.

More Information
Please contact Junaid Yusuf on 031 767 2080 (tel), 031 764 3643 (fax), or junaid.yusuf@erm.com for more information, to register as an interested and affected party, and to comment on the proposals. Information will also be made available on the City’s website (www.durban.gov.za) or at the Ocean Sports Centre from 3 December 2008.

Notice is given of a Public Participation Process & the intention to apply for Environmental Authorisation in terms of the EIA Regulations of 21 April 2006 under the NEMA (Act No. 107 of 1998), as amended. The proposed activity triggers Activity 2, 3, 5, 6, 14, 15, and 20 of Regulation Notice R386. DAEA Reference Number: DM 0172.08

http://www.durban.gov.za/durban/disc...upgrade-1/view

I got the other nodes, Dairy beach looks impressive, will post tomorrow

Last edited by dysan1; February 7th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM   #3
Luf
the luf

Likes (Received): 0

Looks great but i dont want to be negative, but ill believe when i start seeing it. These has been claims of redevelopment since 2003/2004 and still nothing.
Luf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM   #4
dysan1
More development

the first half of the above redevelopment has already been completed. the promenade has been widened here as per the renders and old structures demolished. Its just the next phase development for this node.

On the skepticism i not surprised, but i have little to doubt this current thing wont go ahead
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
romanSA

Likes (Received): 218

I like this a lot. Very sylish and classy.

I also have faith that this will go ahead as the main FIFA fan park has been moved here (was initially supposed to take place at Blue Lagoon). As such, this area has to undergo a major refurbishment. I also think the city is committed to extending the promenade from Ushaka to Suncoast. I jogged from Ushaka to Suncoast and back on Sunday and noticed that parts of the old wall that borders the parking lot in front of Addington and the beach is being destroyed. Also, grass has been planted in many places that it wasn't on before. I was wondering then if this was related to possible upgrades and now I think it likely is.

From what I can gather from the above, it seems as if the paddling pools will be removed, which will be great. This will help "de-crowd" the central beachfront area during peak periods (crowds don't spread out across the entire beachfront during busy periods but congregate around the paddling pools for some reasons, resulting in massive "clots" of crowds in certain areas only). This will also help reduce maintenance costs re: pools.
romanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 06:11 PM   #6
romanSA

Oh, and it also looks like the amusement park will be going too. If so, that will really help open up the whole promenade. Currently, the hotels are cut off from the beach because of the amusement park and the paddling pools. Opening up these areas will give a nice open space feeling for the area.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #7
dysan1
More development

totally agree... we need to load the other sections of the upgrade now as well
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:02 PM   #8
dysan1
More development

The Dairy Beach upgrade

The current Ocean Action centre is being demolished and more public space is to replace it, as well as this stylish cafe/bar complex with surf store...personally love it!

Last edited by dysan1; February 7th, 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #9
romanSA

Thanks for posting. Was going to do the same now. Only Addington plans to post now, as well as the overall grand scheme.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:28 PM   #10
dysan1
More development

got grand scheme in first post... addington not downloading for me for some reason, can someone else post it?

All in all it is very appealing on the eye...and the LONG 4km promenade will be fantastic and help to get people from the stadium easily to all the beachfront nodes on foot. will have a super atmosphere in 2010 time
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:07 AM   #11
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 36

Addington Beach Node

Bucket Facebook Page

Last edited by dysan1; February 7th, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM   #12
romanSA

Thanks for posting, DB. For some reason I can't access my photobucket account.
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #13
romanSA

All in all, I think this will be fantastic for Durban. You'll notice that a lot of current old and tired buildings are going to be demolished, which is great. The new proposed buildings are all stunning and I hope they come to fruition.

I have been to dozens of countries and I can say with confidence that if these changes are implemented, it will propel Durban's beachfront into the top tier of beach cities worldwide. Even the world's most famous beach cities, Rio and Honolulu, don't have anything like this.
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #14
dysan1
More development

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanSA View Post
All in all, I think this will be fantastic for Durban. You'll notice that a lot of current old and tired buildings are going to be demolished, which is great. The new proposed buildings are all stunning and I hope they come to fruition.

I have been to dozens of countries and I can say with confidence that if these changes are implemented, it will propel Durban's beachfront into the top tier of beach cities worldwide. Even the world's most famous beach cities, Rio and Honolulu, don't have anything like this.
Yeah they are stunning. I really want to see the changes for the Mini town area, the promenade from the beach up to the stadium with the bridges over MY avenue...will be a super walk
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #15
GregPz
Explore

Likes (Received): 53

All looks great!! Hopefully all the bright yellow signage and lighting will be replaced with something more contemporary. Any idea when they plan to have all this complete?
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:36 AM   #16
romanSA

I am wondering the same thing re: completion date. If they want to get this done by June 2010 they have to start asap. Not sure how long EIA study will take but they will have to get cracking as soon as that's over. There's a lot of wqork to be done. Am also curious re: cost. No mention has been made of that yet nut I suspect it will run into the hundreds of millions. However, given that the Golden Mile is the face of the city, I'll say it's well worth it.
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #17
romanSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Yeah they are stunning. I really want to see the changes for the Mini town area, the promenade from the beach up to the stadium with the bridges over MY avenue...will be a super walk
Am also curious to see what they have planned for minitown. That spot is too prime to be just minitown. I hope they move it (not close it down as a provides a valuable source of income to the quadroplegic society) and open up cafes / restaurants there instead.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM   #18
dysan1
More development

indeed, restaurants/a few shops would be good there.

Also they said they wanted to open one more beach cafe on the sand on North beach.
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #19
dysan1
More development

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregPz View Post
All looks great!! Hopefully all the bright yellow signage and lighting will be replaced with something more contemporary. Any idea when they plan to have all this complete?
Yes i do hope that all goes!! something more sleek would surely be in the plans. The entire redevelopment is being done by Michael Tod Arichitects, and they are no slouches, so it should be a complete overall package.

Regards completion, it is on the website as a key 2010 plan, so i would imagine it would need to be fully completed at least a month or two before the event
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 120

My first holidays in SA where at Durban Spa on the Marine Parade (OR Tambo Parade). I have such fond memories of this golden mile. And I am so glad to see it get the love and attention that it deserves.
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
durban