daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #1
flar
____

Likes (Received): 56

TORONTO: Cabbagetown

C A B B A G E T O W N • T O R O N T O

Cabbagetown is known for its relatively intact Victorian streetscapes, beautiful gardens, and narrow irregular streets.
The original Cabbagetown was demolished and replaced with the vast Regent Park apartment complex. Once known
as Don Vale, the Victorian neighbourhood to the north of Regent Park underwent gentrification and became known as
"Cabbagetown." Unfortunately for this tour I missed the gardens by a few weeks, but at least the lack of foliage allows
us to see the houses better.

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:29 PM   #2
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

Awesome neighborhood/place of Toronto
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
EffSizzle
EffSizzle

Likes (Received): 0

WOW!!!! Great looking part of town! I must visit Toronto soon.
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:18 PM   #4
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

I love how Cabbagetown has it's own flag. I believe you get a glimpse of it in photo #10 and again in the house below it.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

Cabbagetown is an amazing place to live, or even just to hang out in. Great photos!
Old December 5th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #6
philadweller

Likes (Received): 16

That neighborhood can blend very well into Chicago, Montreal or Philadelphia's streetscape. It's always been my favorite part of Toronto. I wish there was more of it!
Although I consider Toronto to be more on par with the Northeast there is some serious Midwestern flair to some of those homes and retail strips.
philadweller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Spoonman

Likes (Received): 3

This is one of my favourite parts of town to take a stroll in. I really like all the narrow streets and alleyways lined with quaint little rowhouses and cottages. You should definitely try to take a second photo tour in the spring/summer - the lawns and gardens here are among the most beautiful and well-kept in the city, methinks.
Spoonman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8
Clay_Rock

Likes (Received): 2

Excellent pictures of an interesting neighbourhood!
Clay_Rock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #9
elliot

Likes (Received): 33

Great phototour of my old nabe... thanks.

The only thing you might add for context (if you shot it) is examples of the eastern edge of the neighbourhood.... Riverdale Farm and the string of north/south parks along the Don Valley.

And of course... the huge Riverdale park that straddles the DVP... best doggy hang out in the city and a great walk (courtesy of the pedestrian bridge) over to The Danforth.

Cabbagetown looks good even when all the leaves and gardens have been "put away"... obviously a great time to actually see the housing stock via photos... but a summertime walk yields a huge tree canopy and urban lushness (?holy metaphor Batman) unmatched in downtown North America.

The great news for Cabbagetown... the "mistake" called Regent Park (just south) is undergoing a $1 Billion makeover which will make homeowners in The Cabbage very, very happy. Even the dreaded St. Jamestown is enjoying a suprising renaissance.

Thanks again. I miss Cabbagetown but now live in the Beach(es) now so another great neighbourhood to explore and enjoy. Both are great examples of small town living right in the middle of a metropolis... the best way to enjoy a big city imo.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:48 PM   #10
elliot

Likes (Received): 33

... forgive the intrusion, but I'm aware of a neighbourhood bylaw that prohibits photothreads of Cabbagetown that do not include "the best caffein fix for a buck available in the solar system". Jet Fuel on Parliament. Starbucks is opening up across the street... not kidding. Wouldn't it be great if Starbucks lost this one turf battle?

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 10:52 PM   #11
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12272

I can't see Cabbagetowners warming to Starbucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
That neighborhood can blend very well into Chicago, Montreal or Philadelphia's streetscape. It's always been my favorite part of Toronto. I wish there was more of it!
Although I consider Toronto to be more on par with the Northeast there is some serious Midwestern flair to some of those homes and retail strips.
It is certainly one of my favourite parts of Toronto, too but there is actually a subtle difference in the architectural styles. Cabbagetown (and other Victorian houses in Toronto) houses were the product of working class immigrants from Ireland, Scotland and England, who brought the various British Victorian house designs with them. These styles are a little different than the American version of Victorian.

Last edited by Taller, Better; December 6th, 2008 at 10:58 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2008, 11:50 PM   #12
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10376

Great pictures. Love the architecture...they just don't build them like they used to, unfortunately.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #13
Jasonzed

Likes (Received): 1585

Excellent pictures!

Please visit myMississauga thread in Urban Showcase
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=641695

myPictures and drone videos
www.jasonzedsky.com
Jasonzed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #14
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

I love your photos.

especially this one. This type of streetscene looks great

I thought starbucks was downsizing. It completely closed down in my city, however no one was crying over it
eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:36 AM   #15
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadweller View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taller, Better View Post

It is certainly one of my favourite parts of Toronto, too but there is actually a subtle difference in the architectural styles. Cabbagetown (and other Victorian houses in Toronto) houses were the product of working class immigrants from Ireland, Scotland and England, who brought the various British Victorian house designs with them. These styles are a little different than the American version of Victorian.
Ontario generally has its own style of architecture, but there are regional variations within Ontario. The extreme southwest and the Niagara Peninsula have more frame houses and have other similarities to NY and Michigan. The central part of southern Ontario (London thru Kitchener-Waterloo and north and east from there) share a definite brick Ontario style. Toronto has its own style altogether. Toronto is even quite a bit different than nearby Hamilton, which is the only other place you'll find urban Victorian neighbourhoods of rowhouses and semidetached on a large scale in southern Ontario. Ontario's residential architecture is fascinating and I will soon be starting a thread showing a variety of Ontario small cities and towns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
... forgive the intrusion, but I'm aware of a neighbourhood bylaw that prohibits photothreads of Cabbagetown that do not include "the best caffein fix for a buck available in the solar system". Jet Fuel on Parliament. Starbucks is opening up across the street... not kidding. Wouldn't it be great if Starbucks lost this one turf battle?

There's always a place for the independents in a neighbourhood like this.
Old December 7th, 2008, 03:39 AM   #16
flar
____

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot View Post
Great phototour of my old nabe... thanks.

The only thing you might add for context (if you shot it) is examples of the eastern edge of the neighbourhood.... Riverdale Farm and the string of north/south parks along the Don Valley.

And of course... the huge Riverdale park that straddles the DVP... best doggy hang out in the city and a great walk (courtesy of the pedestrian bridge) over to The Danforth.

Cabbagetown looks good even when all the leaves and gardens have been "put away"... obviously a great time to actually see the housing stock via photos... but a summertime walk yields a huge tree canopy and urban lushness (?holy metaphor Batman) unmatched in downtown North America.

The great news for Cabbagetown... the "mistake" called Regent Park (just south) is undergoing a $1 Billion makeover which will make homeowners in The Cabbage very, very happy. Even the dreaded St. Jamestown is enjoying a suprising renaissance.

Thanks again. I miss Cabbagetown but now live in the Beach(es) now so another great neighbourhood to explore and enjoy. Both are great examples of small town living right in the middle of a metropolis... the best way to enjoy a big city imo.
This neighbourhood does have pretty much everything: nice architecture and mature streets, lots of parks nearby, local shopping district, close to downtown, streetcar service, etc. It's amazing that the cheap, low rise apartment buildings in Regent Park have lasted this long with the condo boom of recent years.
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #17
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10964

All Cabbagetown needs is a subway stop and it would be perfect. Definitely check out Jet Fuel when in the area. They make a great latte.

I started my first photo thread documenting a recent trip to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Have a peek: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=724898
isaidso está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #18
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244191

And the houses are realy awesome
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #19
Truepioneer

Likes (Received): 0

I love Cabbage Town!

one of my favorite places to stroll around in my hometown.
Truepioneer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #20
Mishevy
Smelly cat...

Likes (Received): 72

It looks rather interesting and a bit eccentric, but I like it. It's a very, very good thing that you have trams in Toronto, and they look so nice! I just looove trams.