daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2008, 03:08 AM   #1
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

10ROT in Buffalo: Great Lake Effect

Hello, and welcome to my newest photo thread...10ROT in Buffalo: Great Lake Effect.

I've been in Buffalo, New York for the last four months now for education. Soon, I'll be going back home to Hartford for the holidays...which is about 670km east of here. But, I wanted to take some pictures of the city before I leave for three weeks. In retrospect, I should have done this when it was warmer, but I was too busy with schoolwork (a bit lazy too. ).

Some background info. Buffalo is a city on the northeastern shore of Lake Erie. It is around 275k people strong, with 1.1 million in the metro. It is the second largest city in New York State, only eclipsed (massively) by New York City. But even though it shares the same state, Buffalo is nothing like NYC. IMO, it feels more like cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee than NYC.

It is an post industrial city in the middle of a somewhat painful transition from a industrial powerhouse to a city with a service industry, with the loss of jobs and people over the years to show for it the decline. It is also a border town, with Canada next door, and the much larger Toronto only 2 hours away...proximity to TO is not always a good thing, as residents fear the move of the NFL team, the Bills, up north. But, the neighbors are liked, as Buffalonians love Canadian beer and love hockey too.

If you are a fan of older architecture, Buffalo is a place to be. It has a wealth of designs and styles that make me, coming from Hartford, jealous. The city hall is an art-deco gem. However, the downtown leaves a lot to desired, as some beauties have been either replaced by modern ugly buildings, or replaced with parking lots. The end result? Buffalo's downtown is a jumble of modern, old, new and empty.

So keep tight...I'll be posting a few. here's a mucked up pano that I made out of two pictures of part of the Buffalo skyline.

Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:28 AM   #2
Xusein

Here's a few pics from today. This is Downtown Buffalo. It was a cold, and overcast day (although seemingly normal, haven't seen a sunny day lately), with not much activity going on downtown since it was Friday. I went around the waterfront first, and then walked around downtown a bit.

Walking down Cathedral Park

Pearl Street

HSBC building, the US headquarters, this is the tallest skyscraper in the city

Interesting style

Under the Interstate 190 overpass.

NYC-style apartments

Buffalo Skyway...looks huge in real life

Across the apartments, a small naval park with some warships

America, hell yeah! Some fighter from back in the day

The beginning of the Erie Canal. It was one of the things responsible for Buffalo's settlement

The back of a massive abandoned building...looks like an arena of sort. Look at the rust.

More of those NY-style buildings, known as "Marine Drive Apartments"

HSBC arena, home of the Buffalo Sabres, the NHL hockey team

A lighthouse at the opening of Lake Erie. Although it is below freezing, the water is not frozen over

The head of the Niagara River, with Canada in the background

And on the other side, some waterfront property

Downtown Buffalo too
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Xusein

Walking around a bit. I love Buffalo's architecture...even normal buildings look great

What looks to be the Erie County headquarters or something, not sure

Main Street, which has to ironically be the most dead street downtown. It has a light rail down it.

Old and new combined

Lafayette Square

Another gem of a building

However, Buffalo does have some sterile modern areas

Convention Center

More streetscape

Last pic. Buffalo City Hall...IMO, one of the most dazzling buildings downtown

That's all for now. I may take some more pics of the area where I am currently at, farther from downtown, but I will be leaving Buffalo on next monday to go back home for a while. Hopefully in that time, I can add up a bit to my Hartford thread in that meantime. But I'll be back in Buffalo in January, so more pics will be a certainty definitely.

Thanks for viewing this page. Sorry for the camera angles, BTW, that style's become a kneejerk function of mine since taking pictures of skyscrapers and the like.
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:13 AM   #4
gonzo
Sent from down-below. :P

Likes (Received): 6

Surprising how many great buildings Buffalo has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ROT View Post
Sorry for the camera angles,
haha yeah, my neck hurts.
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #5
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244275

Buffalo is very nice
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #6
l'eau
BANNED

Likes (Received): 126

looks very american and nice.
l'eau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:31 PM   #7
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Very nice.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM   #8
D.D.
BANNED

Likes (Received): 39

with all due respect, but Buffalo looks boring :S, nice building thou.
D.D. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:37 AM   #9
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

With that weather I'd suicide in a cuople of weeks, but the city isn't as bad as I thought. But the city hall looks definitely like a communist era building!
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM   #10
Xusein

^ You would have committed suicide a long time then. The weather has been mostly cloudy with some snow every other day here...haven't seen the sun in weeks literally! Makes me appreciate the fact that at least I saw the sun a lot during winter back home!

Buffalo's city hall is a art-deco gem...completed in 1932 and is one of the tallest city halls in the US.

BTW, out of my busyness out of studying for exams, I wasn't able to take a pic of my school or anywhere else. Sorry. Going home today. However, I come back to BUF in 2009, so keep your eyes peeled for a update!
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:15 AM   #11
schmidt

Likes (Received): 59

As if 2009 were too far away.

Anyway, we also had at least 6 weeks in a row with only 1 or 2 sunny days this spring, the weather's been awful. It's even cool in December, who would think of that eh? You could also take some Hartford or even NYC pics for us too.
schmidt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #12
Brisbaner21
Sunshine City

Likes (Received): 6

Buffalo is an amazing city. Very underrated and underappreciated.
Brisbaner21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote