daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #461
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25985

is it topped out?

djole13 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2016, 01:25 PM   #462
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50662

October 1, 2016

View of Kowloon side ICC tower by Alan Yeh, on Flickr

View of Kowloon side ICC tower by Alan Yeh, on Flickr
Old October 13th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #463
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

By thomaslcs from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:43 AM   #464
Thymant

Likes (Received): 15

Very Nice!

Zaz965 liked this post
Thymant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #465
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

20120103_073359 by dorado168, on Flickr

CP11, jchk, Munwon, 2mchris, Zaz965 liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #466
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By ck wong from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 6th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #467
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By tequilasy from dcfever :

oscillation, 2mchris, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 6th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #468
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

November 6, 2016

Untitled by Sarah Joy, on Flickr

CP11, 2mchris, j.t1, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #469
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

DSC_1015.jpg by Richard Hutcheson, on Flickr

CP11, Zaz965, 2mchris, Transhumanista liked this post
Old November 15th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #470
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Supermoon 11-2016 by Joachim Wuhrer, on Flickr

KlausDiggy, jchk, CP11, Munwon, 2mchris and 2 others liked this post
Old November 17th, 2016, 04:29 AM   #471
surfnasi

Likes (Received): 345

It appears to me that Hong Kong has really slowed in its tall tower construction but this one is quite nice
surfnasi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #472
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Rosewood Hong Kong Will Open in 2018
Adding A Graceful New Landmark To The Famous Harborfront

Press Release Excerpt
November 16, 2016

Rosewood Hotels & Resorts® will open the ultra-luxury brand’s first Hong Kong property in 2018 in a prime Victoria Harbour waterfront location at the former New World Centre on Salisbury Road in Tsim Sha Tsui. Rosewood Hong Kong will occupy 27 floors of a multi-use tower owned by New World Development Company Limited, whose distinct form and glowing crown is destined to become an instantly recognizable landmark on the famous skyline.

“As one of the world’s great cities, with iconic character and landscape, Hong Kong is a superlative location to open a Rosewood hotel and exquisitely express the brand’s A Sense of Place philosophy,” says Sonia Cheng, chief executive officer of Rosewood Hotel Group. “We aim for this hotel to capture Hong Kong’s grace and dynamism, culture and modernity, while debuting Rosewood’s engaging, intuitive and refined service here in our home city.”

The design of Rosewood Hong Kong is the story of the gracious lifestyle within an elegant estate, and this impression will be cast immediately upon arrival and extend throughout the open public spaces, private guestrooms and event venues. Mr. Tony Chi and his New York-based studio, tonychi, will not merely focus on aesthetics but upon every fine detail to create memorable experiences for guests and visitors. Mr. Chi’s approach to expressing the Rosewood brand’s A Sense of Place® concept was lauded at Rosewood London when it opened in 2013.

Acclaimed New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates will blend classic design elements with references to the vibrantly contemporary surroundings in the architecture of the 398-room hotel.

Rosewood Hong Kong will offer eight dining options; recreational facilities will include a fitness center, swimming pool and Rosewood’s holistic wellness concept; and the Manor Club executive lounge will provide an array of exclusive privileges for its guests. The Pavilion will introduce to Hong Kong Rosewood’s signature, high-end residential-style meeting and event spaces.

Rosewood Residences - 199 luxury accommodations for longer stays located on the top 19 floors of the tower, some with outdoor terraces and all with bird’s eye views - will offer a dedicated lounge, indoor swimming pool and fitness center along with special services and amenities for residents.

CP11, j.t1, jchk, Zaz965 liked this post
Old November 24th, 2016, 06:06 PM   #473
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

维港之晨 by TSOriginaux, on Flickr

CP11, Munwon, j.t1, 2mchris, Zaz965 and 2 others liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #474
kony

Likes (Received): 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBC View Post
Yeah, it looks ugly to me so far!

I am so disappointed with ugly buildings in Hong Kong over the last few years. Singapore or Sydney always give you "wow" factor with each of their new building, but Hong Kong has been very disappointing with all these ugly pencil boring blocks over the years!

i could have said exactly the same

that new tower is really unimpressive....coming from living in Dubai, it's funny to see how Dubai is now much more innovative than Hong Kong when it comes to High Rises...many bland buildings in Dubai but always a few iconic buildings to balance it out.

What really has been iconic in HK those past 10 years ?? ICC ?? it's tall. That's it. Nothing out of this world. Just plain "pencil boring shape" indeed, much like IFC.

Like someone said it might be that HK has become conservative, but it hasn't always been ; Bank of China Tower is the perfect example of HK being innovative...but this was built ages ago now...

And yes Singapore is creating new grounds, look at Keppel Bay towers for instance : pure beauty , built in the past 5 years

Old November 26th, 2016, 11:13 PM   #475
Skyscraperisbae

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
i could have said exactly the same

that new tower is really unimpressive....coming from living in Dubai, it's funny to see how Dubai is now much more innovative than Hong Kong when it comes to High Rises...many bland buildings in Dubai but always a few iconic buildings to balance it out.

What really has been iconic in HK those past 10 years ?? ICC ?? it's tall. That's it. Nothing out of this world. Just plain "pencil boring shape" indeed, much like IFC.

Like someone said it might be that HK has become conservative, but it hasn't always been ; Bank of China Tower is the perfect example of HK being innovative...but this was built ages ago now...

And yes Singapore is creating new grounds, look at Keppel Bay towers for instance : pure beauty , built in the past 5 years

The west Kowloon design district might have some iconic innovative designs built but that will be in 10 years time
Skyscraperisbae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #476
kony

Yeah hopefully,

it's time for Hong-Kong to get back that ambition in architecture...i was in Shenzhen last week-end, i was quite impressed by the feeling of breaking grounds and building design towers or cultural centers...with a population of twice the one of HK, Shenzhen clearly has high ambitions

and that's not all, not counting the crazy Shanghai, every major city on China is trying to put on a "tallest tower" show, often with beautiful and original shapes

Hong-Kong has fantastic hills but that can't be a reason to rest on its laurels. competition is tough.
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #477
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
Yeah hopefully,

it's time for Hong-Kong to get back that ambition in architecture...i was in Shenzhen last week-end, i was quite impressed by the feeling of breaking grounds and building design towers or cultural centers...with a population of twice the one of HK, Shenzhen clearly has high ambitions

and that's not all, not counting the crazy Shanghai, every major city on China is trying to put on a "tallest tower" show, often with beautiful and original shapes

Hong-Kong has fantastic hills but that can't be a reason to rest on its laurels. competition is tough.
I agree. I think relatively, West Kowloon has some more impressive design commercial buildings erected over the last few years. That picture that you put out from Singapore was just simply breath-taking!

I think in Hong Kong, we should not just emphasize on size/height. I don't care if we are losing out in the tallest building city status, all I care is to have some good artistic/impressive types of buildings in the city, something that would show people that "you have put in your thought in trying to create beautiful landscape". Singapore has done all these even though they might not have the tallest series of buildings in the world due to their tight height restriction.

ICC is totally disappointing!!! So is K-11 in Tsim Sha Tsui, K-11 is simply very ugly!!! 1 Peking Road in Tsim Sha Tsui used to be very nice when it was first built, and now it is totally ruined by this stupid bank poster/advertisement all across the building!!

By the way, I know I have been asking this question for few years, does anyone have any luck finding out the final rendering of this new Rosewood Hotel/New World redevelopment? The original rendering was not bad, but obviously as we can see, it is totally different from its original rendering!
If you can find the final rendering (which I have trouble finding it), I would appreciate it!

WhiteGerbera, kony, ODeskin048 liked this post

Last edited by HSBC; November 27th, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:15 AM   #478
WhiteGerbera

Likes (Received): 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBC View Post
I think in Hong Kong, we should not just emphasize on size/height. I don't care if we are losing out in the tallest building city status, all I care is to have some good artistic/impressive types of buildings in the city, something that would show people that "you have put in your thought in trying to create beautiful landscape".
Agree, HSBC. But you know, "good artistic" and "putting in one's thought" are prohibited in Hong Kong.

HSBC liked this post
WhiteGerbera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 07:38 AM   #479
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGerbera View Post
Agree, HSBC. But you know, "good artistic" and "putting in one's thought" are prohibited in Hong Kong.
Yeah..everyone in Hong Kong is about economic efficiency, return ratio and profitability! Some people can just be very short-sighted! But then I'm not the investor of any of these buildings, so I obviously don't understand the practicability of the design when you are investing.

WhiteGerbera liked this post
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 01:27 PM   #480
kony

Yes good analysis.

i see Manhattan in Nyc has the same expensive over-the-roof rents city as HK, and they also build a bunch of bland towers there...BUT at same time they manage to build a few new iconic icons...just check the NYC thread to see that the case of HK just building bland and "simple" towers because of rarity of real estate is really not an excuse

actually rarity of real estate should make them treat the remaining empty spaces or neighborhood renovation with even more care.

The whole of Kowloon should be the ground of innovative towers

WhiteGerbera, HSBC liked this post
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote