daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2016, 01:37 PM   #481
jchk

Likes (Received): 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSBC View Post
ICC is totally disappointing!!! So is K-11 in Tsim Sha Tsui, K-11 is simply very ugly!!! 1 Peking Road in Tsim Sha Tsui used to be very nice when it was first built, and now it is totally ruined by this stupid bank poster/advertisement all across the building!!

By the way, I know I have been asking this question for few years, does anyone have any luck finding out the final rendering of this new Rosewood Hotel/New World redevelopment? The original rendering was not bad, but obviously as we can see, it is totally different from its original rendering!
If you can find the final rendering (which I have trouble finding it), I would appreciate it!
Personally I think ICC is a work of beauty(and I say this as someone who once used to despise it); while its design isn't as ostentatious as, say, the Shanghai Tower, it exudes an aura of understated elegance. And it literally sparkles like a gem when the sun hits it just right. I agree with you whole-heartedly about the other scrapers though.

And this is still the closest thing to a render that we have.

kony, HSBC, CP11, Zaz965 liked this post
jchk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #482
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchk View Post
Personally I think ICC is a work of beauty(and I say this as someone who once used to despise it); while its design isn't as ostentatious as, say, the Shanghai Tower, it exudes an aura of understated elegance. And it literally sparkles like a gem when the sun hits it just right. I agree with you whole-heartedly about the other scrapers though.

And this is still the closest thing to a render that we have.

Thank you so much on that! This rendering looks totally disappointing! It looks like something that they built in Singapore in the 90s. That is heart-sinking!

WhiteGerbera, detta.priyandika liked this post
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #483
kony

Likes (Received): 1240

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchk View Post
Personally I think ICC is a work of beauty. And it literally sparkles like a gem when the sun hits it just right
yes on this i agree totally. ICC Is mesmerizing with sunset light on it

jchk liked this post
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM   #484
generalscarr

Likes (Received): 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasis-Bangkok View Post

20120103_073359 by dorado168, on Flickr

This tower really looks bad. Massing, facade - not even mediocre. Disappointing

kony, kunming tiger liked this post
generalscarr está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #485
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

DSC05826 by wong shing wai, on Flickr

CP11, Munwon, jchk, WhiteGerbera, 2mchris and 2 others liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2016, 09:38 PM   #486
tim1807
faster than buildings

Likes (Received): 5334

DSC07574 by Martin Ng, on Flickr

HSBC, WhiteGerbera, 2mchris, CP11, Munwon and 2 others liked this post
tim1807 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #487
Skyscraperisbae

Likes (Received): 10

http://www.nwd.com.hk/zh-hant/conten...320;標-0 new picture of the render
Skyscraperisbae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2016, 06:39 PM   #488
Skyscraperisbae

Likes (Received): 10

http://cdn.nwd.com.hk/sites/default/...?itok=4UwokgYX new picture of the render

WhiteGerbera, jchk, HSBC, Zaz965 liked this post
Skyscraperisbae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:07 AM   #489
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

The facade of this building, on its own, is not bad. However, the massing is terrible. This tower looks like it has a shrunken head. This massing/facade combination looks like its straight out of 1992. And when one considers the fact that this is the only tower of significant size currently being built in Hong Kong, it becomes all the more disappointing...
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:16 AM   #490
TheIllinoisan

Likes (Received): 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
Yeah hopefully,

it's time for Hong-Kong to get back that ambition in architecture...i was in Shenzhen last week-end, i was quite impressed by the feeling of breaking grounds and building design towers or cultural centers...with a population of twice the one of HK, Shenzhen clearly has high ambitions

and that's not all, not counting the crazy Shanghai, every major city on China is trying to put on a "tallest tower" show, often with beautiful and original shapes

Hong-Kong has fantastic hills but that can't be a reason to rest on its laurels. competition is tough.
Kong Kong is at least three times the city that Shenzhen is. The fact that Shenzhen is building much taller than Hong Kong means almost nothing. What matters is how such buildings interact with the surrounding urban fabric. Hong Kong posseses an arch-typical urban fabric. Shenzhen is little more than an overgrown specimen of subrbia.

(the) liked this post
TheIllinoisan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:22 AM   #491
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3182

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIllinoisan View Post
Kong Kong is at least three times the city that Shenzhen is. The fact that Shenzhen is building much taller than Hong Kong means almost nothing. What matters is how such buildings interact with the surrounding urban fabric. Hong Kong posseses an arch-typical urban fabric. Shenzhen is little more than an overgrown specimen of subrbia.
Define suburbia... Planned streets a grid? In that case Chicago is a suburb

ODeskin048 liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 05:23 PM   #492
kony

Likes (Received): 1240

Quote:

at least in terms of population Shenzhen is > 12 millions (and growing fast) when HK is always said to be around 7 millions...that counts when you project power of a city within say 20 years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._built-up_area

HK is a well established city...Shenzhen was nothing 40 years back...so this has to be put into perspective when judjing of the potential

Shenzhen will never be that financial hub that HK is (even though China just decided to merge their stock exchanges) but in many other domain (like design, electronics companies) it seems Shenzhen is now taking the lead...i read a few articles about this recently

But my initial point was to show that skyline-wise, Hong-Kong is becoming almost boring if you decide to look elsewhere than the usual traditional icons...and all other chinese cities seem to start innovative architectural landmarks...

Munwon liked this post
kony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2016, 06:55 PM   #493
Munwon

Likes (Received): 3182

Quote:
Originally Posted by kony View Post
at least in terms of population Shenzhen is > 12 millions (and growing fast) when HK is always said to be around 7 millions...that counts when you project power of a city within say 20 years...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._built-up_area

HK is a well established city...Shenzhen was nothing 40 years back...so this has to be put into perspective when judjing of the potential

Shenzhen will never be that financial hub that HK is (even though China just decided to merge their stock exchanges) but in many other domain (like design, electronics companies) it seems Shenzhen is now taking the lead...i read a few articles about this recently

But my initial point was to show that skyline-wise, Hong-Kong is becoming almost boring if you decide to look elsewhere than the usual traditional icons...and all other chinese cities seem to start innovative architectural landmarks...
I agree! HK is losing its ambition, its just becoming a lifestyles city like Monaco or St. Moritz. Saying Shenzhen is suburbia is just plain ridiculous. It is planned but its super dense all over and is quickly running out of room.

kony, inno4321 liked this post
Munwon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:58 AM   #494
saiho

Likes (Received): 1206

Quote:
Strange you say that because many places in "suburban" Shenzhen have a more vibrant and dynamic streetscape than downtown Chicago so I don't know what you mean by suburbia.

Munwon liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:55 AM   #495
HSBC
HSBC

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munwon View Post
I agree! HK is losing its ambition, its just becoming a lifestyles city like Monaco or St. Moritz. Saying Shenzhen is suburbia is just plain ridiculous. It is planned but its super dense all over and is quickly running out of room.
lifestyle city? That's the last thing I want HK to become. I wish HK can still compete equally with Singapore, Seoul and Sydney, the 3s cities! Shanghai seems to be a bit different on its own.

mrsmartman liked this post
HSBC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2016, 02:13 PM   #496
Oasis-Bangkok
From Zero to Hero !!

Likes (Received): 50662

P1020523 by Picteria, on Flickr

HSBC, CP11, Munwon, SLASH_2, Transhumanista and 4 others liked this post
Oasis-Bangkok no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #497
DUBAI10000

Likes (Received): 436

^ All Hong Kong needs to reignite that ambition is one Megatall tower, or a supertall over 1500' that will bring attention to the area and spark the development of future highrises. I think Hong Kong has a lot of potential to grow.

Zaz965 liked this post
DUBAI10000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #498
ODeskin048

Likes (Received): 6961

disagree , HK have a good skyline , it's not so high that could been but it seems more interesting than most "standard" Chines skyline with one megatall and boring district around. I think HK should have more skcrps with 250-300m height ..

Zaz965 liked this post
ODeskin048 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #499
Zaz965
Temer Out!

Likes (Received): 25985

but there are already boring districts in hong kong

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_housing

djole13, Patrick Highrise, ODeskin048 liked this post
Zaz965 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2016, 12:46 AM   #500
ODeskin048