daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2008, 08:24 AM   #1
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

How good are the drivers in you country generally

On a 1-5 scale, with 5 being very good.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM   #2
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I'd say 4. There are lots of complaints however (Dutch like to complain), like left-lane hogging, tailgating or just driving too slow. There is a list published annually with the so-called "ergernissen top-10" (top-10 of what irritates other drivers most).
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

There are many rude drivers who will cut you off or make turns to small intersections causing you to hard brake to avoid hitting them. Signaling a lane change is a rarity. A large portion of middle aged Canadians also love tailgating with their huge SUVs while holding a hot cup of Tim Horton's Coffee in one hand and a cellphone in the other. Beads of sweat just pour down my face thinking of this.

I also find that people who drive luxury vehicles (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) feel like they "own" the road. They will cut you off while you are in your lane. Or if you are on the main road and they're (luxury cars) turning into the main road from a small side street, they expect you to yield to them. If you watch the news here, you will notice that luxury vehicles are often involved in collisions.

I also hate those drivers who make 5 dangerous lane changes 10 feet from the highway exit. Can't they read the signs? Get into the exit lane sooner!
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Probably 2. People drive irresponsibly, ignore the speed limits, zebra crossings, red lights(when they're young) and road(weather) conditions. They overtake cars when it's not allowed or when another car is coming in the other direction, they don't know how to drive in traffic jams etc. etc.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
Timon91
Error

Sounds like Polish driving
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #6
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Belive me, we're worse
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #7
Dan

Likes (Received): 3

I would say 4, with the taxis being an exception. They're all horrible.
Dan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:42 PM   #8
Timon91
Error

Yeah, taxis are horrible over here as well, they get a 2. Bikes (including me) are the worst, they get a 1
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #9
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

It depends per road.

On a motorway, probably 4, the only issues are people who merge with 60 km/h, or overtake a truck with 3 km/h difference. On the other hand, they keep right generally quite good.

On other roads, probably 3 - 4, due to the fact SO MANY people drive under the speed limit while you can't overtake And our speed limits generally already feel 20 km/h too low on many roads. Another problem is people who want to enter a road, and don't wait for a hiatus in traffic, but just throw their cars onto it with 20 km/h while traffic is approaching with 70/80 km/h.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Sponsor

PL - 2.
We don't follow speed limits as for example Germans do, we don't know how to drive on motorway, we don't know how to drive in traffic jams, we overuse shoulders to make a space so that someone else can overtake us (it's comfortable but very dangerous), we overtake in dangerous way. We also often don't have enough patience for beginner drivers.
Sponsor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #11
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

HR - 2,5. just because of too fast and too nervous driving and behaving as beeing alone at the road. lack of direction signals is not rare neither, also while overtaking. mostly can be seen by german cars' drivers.
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #12
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
On a 1-5 scale, with 5 being very good.
Iam five, thanx...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An interesting quote:

Quote:
95% of the drivers think they belong among the 5% best drivers
Old December 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #14
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

For Hungary I'd give a 2. There are a lot of uncertain people on the roads (result of bought driving licences ) and wannabe streetracers. Lack of using turning signals is very common. Driving premium cars allows you anything. In addition to all this in warmer weather there are reckless motor bikers and immortal cyclists

Last edited by BND; December 13th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: mistype
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM   #15
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Slovenia: Every driver here will say he deserves 5 for his driving. Reality: around 2. Not respecting rule "to give way" is our national sport No. 1.

Last edited by pijanec; December 13th, 2008 at 03:56 PM.
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #16
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I wonder which drivers deserve truly a 5? Maybe Germans? Though I don't like the fact you're almost being pushed by some bigass car behind you when you overtake a truck with 130 km/h. I guess no one drives perfectly.
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:05 PM   #17
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder which drivers deserve truly a 5? Maybe Germans? Though I don't like the fact you're almost being pushed by some bigass car behind you when you overtake a truck with 130 km/h. I guess no one drives perfectly.
Germans are close to it, but they are too relaxed. they often act as everything is german autobahn.

btw, pijanec, speaking about your national sport - few days ago i was goling to work and Viator & Vektor's 15m lorry has so freely entered from side street so all cars at intersection have stopped and watched that fool. i really couldn't believe it, especially when he made an innocent face as "sorry guys, i won't do it again"

Last edited by x-type; December 13th, 2008 at 04:23 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #18
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I'd say 3.5. But as we notice stupid drivers much more than normal ones, the impression is at around 2.5.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #19
X236K

In Czech...? Depends. So called "Polish style" is common. So on EU scale: 1 (the same as Poland )
World scale: 3. Chinese are much much worse.
X236K no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 04:19 PM   #20
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8789

New Zealand: 1 - Truly terrible drivers. No lane discipline, bad indicating, boy racer tendencies, undertaking on the inside lanes, driving 20km/h under the speed limit on motorways in the fast lane (considering the speed limit is only 100km/h on the motorway that's quite an achievement), unable to take a roundabout properly with random lane switching and cutting up of everyone in sight, impatient on roads with a 60km/h limit driving right up your backside, yet as soon as you get to a fast road they act like shy little rabbits in the fast lane, absolutely unable to give way (ie no manners on the road), cut red lights all the time (even buses do), no regard for pedestrians at all... I do have to say that the situation improves markedly once you leave Auckland though, but most of these problems remain to some degree.

United Kingdom: 4 - Generally okay on the whole but still some muppets out there.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote