daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #261
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84 View Post
Maybe you go/went to SummerBreeze or Wacken too?
The last Wacken I was at was in 2002 and the last Summerbreeze in 2004 I think. I prefer smaller festivals, that way it doesn't take me 2 days to get off the parking lot after it's over. Because (to get back to the original topic... ) if you think Germans drive bad on country roads, check them out after 5 days of drinking on a Metal festival. It's a nightmare.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #262
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
I'm metaller, 15th century atmosphere would be home sweet home. Dark Medieval times as Surel said
You would've probably been burnt at the stake.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #263
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
I'm not talking of no regulations in a way of complete anarchy, but regulation written by the good sense that most of people have (who doesn't have good sense won't be stopped neither by written laws). Talking about governments would be a very complex argument and too much offtopic, speaking about it concerning roads, giving the right, roundabout rules, etc are set by the good sense of driving... a sort of "10 commandments" for the driver. All the rest for me should be just indicative and not a rule according to own conscience and skills. We don't need a rule to know that you can't drive 100Km/h into a town cause there are people and you can kill somebody besides yourself or park the car in the middle of way.... if somebody does such things is simply stupid, with or without laws.
If we dont need them, they probably would have never been introduced... The written or unwritten laws create good sense. You are not born with it, although you are born with certain predispositions to more or less accept it.

If one argues so much for no need for rules, because we know them already and conduct according to them, why would one feel in any way limited by them? That doesnt make simply sense to me.

One either thinks that the rules are not proper and ones judgement is better. Because ones judgment is at even with the rules, ones judgement constitute the rules.... something that is not true, nor good.

Or one just cheat on himself and one doesnt like the rules limiting him, although he knows one should not be doing this or that with his car.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #264
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Well, as the proverb says "better to live a day as lion than 100 as sheep". Just the end is the same for everybody so what makes the difference, is what your did when you were alive
That sounds like something one of those (for some strange reason) revered 19th century German philosophers has written. One of those who never travelled outside of their native village except when transported to the local lunatic asylum in their mid 30s where they died of syphilis.
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #265
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Well, as the proverb says "better to live a day as lion than 100 as sheep". Just the end is the same for everybody so what makes the difference, is what your did when you were alive
You would have most probably been born, lived and and died as a bondservant. And that would have meant you had been lucky already.

The point is, you would have had very little chance of living like a lion as opposed to today...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #266
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Likes (Received): 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
If we dont need them, they probably would have never been introduced... The written or unwritten laws create good sense. You are not born with it, although you are born with certain predispositions to more or less accept it.
This reminds me some strange american laws I read like "in Forth Thomas, KY, dogs cannot molest vehicles" or that in Arizona is forbidden to have at home more than two dildos
Satyricon84 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #267
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
That sounds like something one of those (for some strange reason) revered 19th century German philosophers has written. One of those who never travelled outside of their native village except when transported to the local lunatic asylum in their mid 30s where they died of syphilis.
I dont know who has written it, but the concept in general is not so much wrong. At least for me
Old June 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #268
Satyricon84
Ice Road Metaller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
You would have most probably been born, lived and and died as a bondservant. And that would have meant you had been lucky already.
Who knows, maybe I could be a knight or a brigand or a merchant Maybe I could have more chance in life than now, or ....who knows, we can talk all day long about these hypothesis, just doesn't change anything. In the doubt, I find those times charming the same even my favourite historic period is the american far west
Old June 13th, 2012, 11:03 PM   #269
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Just the chances of dying a slow death (in the 15th century) with no morphine to calm your pain should creep you out. Sure there were less regulations, but development has its drawbacks too.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #270
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyricon84

I dont know who has written it, but the concept in general is not so much wrong. At least for me
Don't know the origin, but it was a famous fascist slogan used by Mussolini to justify our young boys dying like "heroes" while fighting for a "noble patriotic cause".
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM   #271
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm

And that summs it up. THAT is my main complaint. It also goes much further than just driving. Warning labels, labels on food etcetc. Regulations where you look and I always wonder, "My God, how did we survive all these millenia without ? O_o"
What kind of argument is this? When the world was simpler, less regulations were required because there were less thing that needed to be regulated. Technological progress must be followed by law progress.
How could food labels existed when meat, fruit and vegetables were sold directly from farmers to customers within the same village and no packed food existed?
To stay on topic, Italian highways had no speed limit until 1973 simply because few vehicles could do more than 130 back then.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:42 AM   #272
Skyprince
Asian boi

Road accident deaths & injuries are on decline in Malaysia..

* Kematian = Deaths
* Cedera parah = Severe injuries
*Cedera ringan = Minor injuries
* Jumlah = total

Source: Malaysian Police Facebook page
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #273
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20331

Good to see roads getting safer there.

Here are UK road deaths over the past 80 years.

The latest figure for 2011 was 1,901 fatalities including 883 car occupants, 453 pedestrians, 362 motorcyclists and 107 cyclists. This was actually a slight rise compared to 2010 after several years of steep falls, this was possibly due to some very bad winter weather.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #274
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

UK drivers are generally ok, but the worst in the world on motorways though.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #275
Jonesy55
Mooderator

In the world???
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #276
Road_UK
BANNED

Well, perhaps not in the world, but lane discipline is not a problem in the UK. Because there isn't any...
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #277
Jonesy55
Mooderator

In the SE especially where the motorways are usually very busy I find that people often don't pull in as soon as they should after overtaking, probably because they might not be able to get back out again with the constant stream of passing cars!

Outside the SE though I think it's much better
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #278
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Good to see roads getting safer there.

Here are UK road deaths over the past 80 years.

The latest figure for 2011 was 1,901 fatalities including 883 car occupants, 453 pedestrians, 362 motorcyclists and 107 cyclists. This was actually a slight rise compared to 2010 after several years of steep falls, this was possibly due to some very bad winter weather.
What constitutes "very bad winter weather" in the UK? ;-)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #279
Road_UK
BANNED

Let me put it this way:
One 0.0000001 inch of snow in the UK and:

-Kids don't go to school
-Heathrow closes
-Trains stop running
-People abandon their cars on the hard shoulder
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM   #280
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Not quite, we had plenty of snow and night time temps down below -20c for several weeks round my way, my kids school didn't close at all and I had to go to work every day as the trains were not cancelled once.