daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #281
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

To tie that in to different sporting cultures, an NFL game was canceled in Philadelphia a couple of years ago during a snowstorm that ended up dumping two feet on us. ("During," but far enough along that the roads were already closed.) And still, the city and the NFL - it was a joint decision - got widespread criticism for wimpiness from people as normally reasonable as my mother. That just isn't done: the last time they canceled all games - possibly the last time the'd canceled any - was the weekend after 9/11.

[Edit: arrows are for Road_UK]
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #282
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Not quite, we had plenty of snow and night time temps down below -20c for several weeks round my way, my kids school didn't close at all and I had to go to work every day as the trains were not cancelled once.
Shropshire axes of evil in a nation run by 'elf n safety?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #283
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20281

I honestly wouldn't believe half these things they publish in the tabloid press, I bet if you actually talked to people who knew those situations the reality would be very different to the way the newspaper has sensationalised it....
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM   #284
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Sweden: I would say 3.

We drive very legaly and slow, and we are very much afraid of breaking the road-laws. But this contribute very often to bad driving, by drivers not know what to do in cases where you have to take law in your own hands etc. Very often do we see old folks driving on the wrong side of roundabout or motorway etc. Swedes are so afraid that they do so many problems instead.

It is hard to say, but if you drive here for a year than you will know the case.

The situation is like a girl that got her diving license yesterday. She is very afraid of accident, trying to drive as legal as possible and is a very unskilled driver that will unfortunly have a accident or will panic in a weird situation or even in a normal situation.
These are Swedish drivers.
Orionol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #285
Twindle

Likes (Received): 0

US drivers

I would give US drivers a 2 overall. ive been and driven through almost every state ( only 5 i haven't) each state is different but i would definitely would say that Virginian drivers are the most wreckless and hard to understand if your not from here. the worst however would probably be Californians as a whole even though i dont have a problem driving there its just really different and confusing for anyone not from there or comfortable with that style. NYC has the worst taxis but thats because they all are super comfortable and know what they are doing and are kinda like russian drivers just in the USA. i think washington state is up on the top but people in oregon are plain annoying they have the slowest highway speed of 65mph/105kph and the people drive even slower by a good 20mph/25kph.
Canada however have really good drivers untill you hit any city like montreal or toronto or vancouver they start fliping out and seem like they have no clue whats going on around them. i found it very difficult for my first time actually driving in a big city and having the drivers not no which was a lane and which wasn't i would say as a whole BC drivers may be my favorite even though 100kph is way to slow to have as highway speeds I mean seriously half the time you could easily go 140kph and not have a worry.
Twindle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #286
Road_UK
BANNED

What about New Jersey? I hear trans-atlantic rumours that they are the worst.
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #287
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twindle View Post
I would give US drivers a 2 overall. ive been and driven through almost every state ( only 5 i haven't) each state is different but i would definitely would say that Virginian drivers are the most wreckless and hard to understand if your not from here. the worst however would probably be Californians as a whole even though i dont have a problem driving there its just really different and confusing for anyone not from there or comfortable with that style. NYC has the worst taxis but thats because they all are super comfortable and know what they are doing and are kinda like russian drivers just in the USA. i think washington state is up on the top but people in oregon are plain annoying they have the slowest highway speed of 65mph/105kph and the people drive even slower by a good 20mph/25kph.
Canada however have really good drivers untill you hit any city like montreal or toronto or vancouver they start fliping out and seem like they have no clue whats going on around them. i found it very difficult for my first time actually driving in a big city and having the drivers not no which was a lane and which wasn't i would say as a whole BC drivers may be my favorite even though 100kph is way to slow to have as highway speeds I mean seriously half the time you could easily go 140kph and not have a worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
What about New Jersey? I hear trans-atlantic rumours that they are the worst.
Sigh....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #288
Road_UK
BANNED

True or not true?
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #289
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

This type of conversation is inherently ridiculous and I refuse to get involved in it.

I suppose I'm a New Jersey driver, given that I grew up there and learned to drive there. But why would an Anglo-Dutch-Austrian be singling out New Jersey as opposed to any of the other states?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #290
Road_UK
BANNED

I've got family in Bergenfield, NJ and I went to see them a few times. But I have heard a few of your compatriots complaining about Jersey drivers, and that they have a bit of a reputation. I don't know, that's why I am asking.
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #291
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

The French drive rather tame these days. Sometimes a bit inattentive, I've seen MANY people leaving their indicators on for no reason (also when just driving on the right lane, not the classic passing indicator weirdness).

They also don't drive fast. All expressways in Bretagne are limited at 110 km/h and almost nobody drives over 120 km/h. On motorways you won't find that many people exceeding the 130 km/h limit, certainly not the way Germans do.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #292
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I've got family in Bergenfield, NJ and I went to see them a few times. But I have heard a few of your compatriots complaining about Jersey drivers, and that they have a bit of a reputation. I don't know, that's why I am asking.
So what was your impression?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #293
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Basic Rule of Driving: Anyone driving slower than you is a moron, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac.
Anyways after travelling around the world a bit I would have to give the US a 3, although I was tempted to give it a 2 because of people not paying attention to the road, texting, not looking at their mirrors, driving way to slow in the left lane, etc.

In Latin American countries like Guatemala and Honduras, they are way more aggressive but at the same time they are way more alert because of stray animals, road debris, topes, etc on the road so it is a wash between the two.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:46 PM   #294
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

Likes (Received): 364

Serbia-2-3. People can be rude at times and can beep at other cars usually for no good reason. Also, people in serbia tend to drive faster than the speed limit.

Visit my FlickrHighways driven on | A | B | BIH | BG | D | DK | E | F | GR | H | HR | I | L | LT | MEX | P | PL | SK | SLO | SRB | TR | USA |
eusimcity4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #295
bogdymol
bogdymod

How good are the drivers in you country generally?

This good:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #296
Orionol
Mötesplatsen

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
How good are the drivers in you country generally?

This good:

Probably a woman driving?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:08 AM   #297
eusimcity4
☀Pozdrav iz beograda!☀

Likes (Received): 364

At first it seems that he or she gave up on overtaking when there was a broken line on the road so he or she overtook on a full line on a road, thinking maybe there wont be cars to block the car from overtaking…but i guess that was not true………the other cars from the other lane won

Visit my FlickrHighways driven on | A | B | BIH | BG | D | DK | E | F | GR | H | HR | I | L | LT | MEX | P | PL | SK | SLO | SRB | TR | USA |
eusimcity4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote