daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #41
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Australians - Shocking "Truly terrible drivers. No lane discipline, bad indicating, boy racer tendencies, undertaking on the inside lanes, driving 20km/h under the speed limit on motorways in the fast lane (considering the speed limit is only 100km/h on the motorway that's quite an achievement), unable to take a roundabout properly with random lane switching and cutting up of everyone in sight, impatient on roads with a 60km/h limit driving right up your backside, yet as soon as you get to a fast road they act like shy little rabbits in the fast lane, absolutely unable to give way (ie no manners on the road), cut red lights all the time (even buses do), no regard for pedestrians at all.."(thanks Svartmetal)
Add to the above, they actually go out of their way to hinder other people, speed up to stop someone moving lanes, will EVEN SPEED UP TRY AND SCARE PEDESTRIANS'
Absolutely no regard or care for anyone else on the road other than to try and **** them up if they can. THIS IS NO EXAGERATION.
AUSSIES are the most rude drivers I've ever had to endure
Their idea of merging is to crawl onto the freeway 30 below and expect everyone to move around them. Aussies WILL ON PURPOSE sit side by side even if they are the only two cars on the road just so no-one that wants to can get past.
Anyone who buys the whole friendly 'no worries' advert view of Aussies has never driven on our roads.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:45 PM   #42
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotdaliney View Post
Australians - Shocking "Truly terrible drivers. No lane discipline, bad indicating, boy racer tendencies, undertaking on the inside lanes, driving 20km/h under the speed limit on motorways in the fast lane (considering the speed limit is only 100km/h on the motorway that's quite an achievement), unable to take a roundabout properly with random lane switching and cutting up of everyone in sight, impatient on roads with a 60km/h limit driving right up your backside, yet as soon as you get to a fast road they act like shy little rabbits in the fast lane, absolutely unable to give way (ie no manners on the road), cut red lights all the time (even buses do), no regard for pedestrians at all.."(thanks Svartmetal)
Add to the above, they actually go out of their way to hinder other people, speed up to stop someone moving lanes, will EVEN SPEED UP TRY AND SCARE PEDESTRIANS'
Absolutely no regard or care for anyone else on the road other than to try and **** them up if they can. THIS IS NO EXAGERATION.
AUSSIES are the most rude drivers I've ever had to endure
Their idea of merging is to crawl onto the freeway 30 below and expect everyone to move around them. Aussies WILL ON PURPOSE sit side by side even if they are the only two cars on the road just so no-one that wants to can get past.
Anyone who buys the whole friendly 'no worries' advert view of Aussies has never driven on our roads.
Sad to say, this is pretty much the case. Nobody seems to have any clue of how to drive to conditions, either. The other day I had the misfortune of driving into Sydney's city centre in the afternoon while it was pouring with rain and visibility was poor; almost nobody put their headlights on, slowed down to conditions or kept a large enough distance to the car in front, I got tailgated by a large truck at one point and had a large van cut me off while I was right beside it (not even behind it).

People will change lanes in front of you without indicating and then drive 20 km/h below the speed limit, attempt to force their way in front of you while merging even if they don't have right of way and completely fail to understand the meaning of signs which say "Keep left unless overtaking". Just a few days ago I was driving 80 km/h along a 2x2 at-grade road, and had not one vehicle, but a car and a motorcycle pull out right in front of me and each of them went into a different lane, so there was absolutely no way around them and I was forced to suddenly slow down to about 50.

I've been forced to overtake on the left because people driving slower than me won't move across, put into a situation where someone I'm overtaking speeds up so I can't get past and there's somebody tailgating me because they want to go even faster, even been in an accident a couple of months ago because the driver behind me was going too fast and/or was too close behind me to respond to me coming to a stop. What makes this particularly frustrating is that both the driver who hit me and the driver of the car in front (which I got pushed into) are saying that I went into the car in front of me first, which means it's going to have to go to court.

To summarise, I'd say that you'd be hard pressed to find more selfish, inconsiderate, unobservant and reckless drivers anywhere. A definite 1.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #43
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

I just wonder why do those people drive below speed limit? It's like that it doesn't really go hand in hand with such style of driving.
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #44
Robosteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
I just wonder why do those people drive below speed limit? It's like that it doesn't really go hand in hand with such style of driving.
Most people don't, but just the other day I had somebody change lanes in front of me without an indicator and then drive 50 km/h in a 70 zone.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM   #45
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

UK-4
Portugal-When I moved here four years ago it would be a 1.5, but now a 4. For some reason drivers have gotten better. One problem here (I'm not a driver, i'm not old enough, but I do notice things) is that people here overtake you, then drive really slow, you overtake them, and the get annoyed and overtake you again!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:37 AM   #46
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Vancouver - 3.5 to 4. Generally good drivers, but there are some total dicks out there.
Richmond (suburb of Vancouver) - 3...Lots of Canadians complain about the quality of the drivers in Richmond, and I agree with them, it does have the worst drivers in the city (mostly those driving BMWs, Mercedes...and there are a lot of them). But in the general scheme of things, I dont think the drivers here are that bad, certainly not as bad as....
Jakarta - 0....Terrible drivers, really. Absolutely no respect for others on the road.
Manila - 0.5...ditto, but not as bad as Jakarta.

Last edited by ryanr; December 15th, 2008 at 03:45 AM.
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:14 AM   #47
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robosteve View Post
Sad to say, this is pretty much the case. Nobody seems to have any clue of how to drive to conditions, either. The other day I had the misfortune of driving into Sydney's city centre in the afternoon while it was pouring with rain and visibility was poor; almost nobody put their headlights on, slowed down to conditions or kept a large enough distance to the car in front, I got tailgated by a large truck at one point and had a large van cut me off while I was right beside it (not even behind it).

People will change lanes in front of you without indicating and then drive 20 km/h below the speed limit, attempt to force their way in front of you while merging even if they don't have right of way and completely fail to understand the meaning of signs which say "Keep left unless overtaking". Just a few days ago I was driving 80 km/h along a 2x2 at-grade road, and had not one vehicle, but a car and a motorcycle pull out right in front of me and each of them went into a different lane, so there was absolutely no way around them and I was forced to suddenly slow down to about 50.

I've been forced to overtake on the left because people driving slower than me won't move across, put into a situation where someone I'm overtaking speeds up so I can't get past and there's somebody tailgating me because they want to go even faster, even been in an accident a couple of months ago because the driver behind me was going too fast and/or was too close behind me to respond to me coming to a stop. What makes this particularly frustrating is that both the driver who hit me and the driver of the car in front (which I got pushed into) are saying that I went into the car in front of me first, which means it's going to have to go to court.

To summarise, I'd say that you'd be hard pressed to find more selfish, inconsiderate, unobservant and reckless drivers anywhere. A definite 1.
Sounds exactly like New Zealand to be honest, you've just padded out my rant a little that's all!

Overtaking on the inside lane in NZ is not illegal simply because you HAVE to do it as too many people sit in the fast lane below the speed limit. Couple this with the fact that car drivers do not require insurance to drive and you have 15 year old idiots hooning all over the place in sub-standard vehicles.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:13 PM   #48
enschede-er
BANNED

Bosnia - 4

the drivers are generally good, but sometimes they speed up but it's normal good driving

Albania - 4

the same story as Bosnia
enschede-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #49
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by enschede-er View Post
Bosnia - 4

the drivers are generally good, but sometimes they speed up but it's normal good driving

Albania - 4

the same story as Bosnia
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #50
enschede-er
BANNED

oke , its a 3 to be honest
enschede-er no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:43 AM   #51
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I very much doubt drivers in say Moscow are so bad that you'd have to use PT not to get killed or injured on the road. It's not that bad, or else Moscow would vanish in a few days.
I think some people here are exaggerating on how bad drivers are in their country, and I wonder if they are good drivers too.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:21 AM   #52
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I think some people here are exaggerating on how bad drivers are in their country, and I wonder if they are good drivers too.
God I wish I was.
Just the other day I was crossing the street, I was in the middle of the road on the median strip. about 20 mtrs away from a set of lights. The cars were pulling up for the red light getting up to parallel with me. A guy then pulled up but instead of taking what would have been the natual position in the line, he stopped a good 5 mtrs short on purpose - just so I would have to walk all the way around his car to cross the road. He gave me a "take that" smile as he pulled up. Seems the 'Aussie way" nowadays.

Last edited by scotdaliney; December 16th, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #53
Simon91

Likes (Received): 241

Singaporean drivers ON GENERALL:

+ DO abide traffic lights
+ DO abide lane discipline

-DO NOT signal changing lane
-DO NOT check out their rear mirrors
-DO talk on the phone
-DO exit expressway in the last moment, causing many bumps and traffic disruptions.
-DO use the innermost lane on the expressway to drive slowly and vice-versa. Adding up to bumps and disruptions as they try to exit..

generally - 2.5/5
Simon91 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #54
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

After Timoth12 and Timon91, there is also a Simon91

The biggest problem over here is that people think they can drive normally in weird weather conditions. This causes quite much accidents during freezing and foggy weather
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM   #55
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Simon91
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #56
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

And I was right. This morning there was a very busy rush hour due to the thick fog. It was freezing slightly as well, so when I got to school I was completely icy
Old April 8th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #57
thedudewiththeplan29
Urban Guy

Likes (Received): 0

For the U.S. about a 1 or a 2. The Northwest is probably the best with about a 4 and the worst in the Southeast which would get negative numbers!
thedudewiththeplan29 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #58
Need4Weed
Urbani ljakse

Likes (Received): 52

Serbia: 1.5/5
Why?
Well, speed limits are generally not respected, use of cell phones without bluetooth is very common, at night most people are using high-beam headlights (very annoying), they don't keep the minimum safety distance (therefore, chain collisions are common), and it's common to see people driving under influence, especially on rural roads. On the bright side, they always warn other drivers if there is a highway patrol with radar nearby, by flashing their headlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hdaDfenFCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bbb1...eature=related
Need4Weed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #59
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

Hungarians: 2
- NOBODY keeps a safe following distance. NO-BODY
- nobody gives way for pedestrians @ crossings
- at least 1/3rd dont use the safety belt
- EVERYBODY is speeding almost EVERYWHERE, on main roads: 100-110 instead of 90, in town: 60-70 instead of 50 and on highways...
- road rage is RAMPANT
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #60
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

-driving in the middle lane on a 2x3 motorway - very annoying and dangerous
-great majority of motorbike riders don't respect traffic rules AT ALL
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote