daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #81
187cc
Hed Kandi fan

Likes (Received): 0

In Auckland, New Zealand generally 1 or 2, people get mean road rages and engage in offensive driving (me included heh). Any other place in NZ probably 4.
187cc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #82
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20253

Generally pretty good here in the UK.

Traffic lights and pedestrian crossings are respected 99% of the time, lane discipline on motorways is generally good, there's very little honking and angry gesticulating compared to other countries i've driven in. Most people will flash their lights to let you past a tight spot in a narrow road or to come out of a side road into a queue of traffic. Speed limits are generally observed pretty well except on motorways where it's normal to travel at 80-90mph when the limit is 70mph. Drink driving is socially frowned upon and most people would never do it.

We have some of the best road death stats in Europe along with Sweden and the Netherlands I think so we must be doing ok.

Of course there are exceptions, people who drive like idiots but most people are fine.
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #83
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

Australia I would give 2 out of 5. I get very frustrated when driving on our roads, especially motorways. On our motorways it's a free-for-all, motorists are all over the place doing all sorts of different speeds, plus you get motorists hogging the overtaking lane and motorists pulling into ones breaking zone without giving sufficient warning.
Also not many drivers turn on their head lights when raining, dark conditions during the day or when there is a lot of sun glare.

There isn't much of an emphasis on safe and smart driving in this country and it's far to easy to obtain a drivers license. If the road authorities don't teach motorists to drive safely and in a smart manner, then this is what you get.
I'm not a perfect driver, I make mistakes from time to time, I'm human after all, but I'm just dissatisfied with the style of driving in Australia.

I've been to Europe, but have only driven in the UK and Ireland, the drivers in the UK are very good, I'd rank them 4 out of 5, though they're hot heads. Ireland I'd rank a 3, they're a bit better than Aussie drivers. I think the reason why the Ireland road toll is quite high it because of all the little narrow roads the have in rural area's, was a scary experience driving on some of those roads.

I thought Italians were crazy though, I didn't drive on their roads but from what I could see, I'd give them a 1 out of five, though most of the crazy dangerous driving was down south.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #84
Morjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
Hungarians: 2
- NOBODY keeps a safe following distance. NO-BODY
- nobody gives way for pedestrians @ crossings
- at least 1/3rd dont use the safety belt
- EVERYBODY is speeding almost EVERYWHERE, on main roads: 100-110 instead of 90, in town: 60-70 instead of 50 and on highways...
- road rage is RAMPANT
lol, I remember seeing overhead signs on Hungarian motorways saying to put on your safety belt, I thought that was a bit strange.
I thought I was going to die when I was getting a taxi ride to the airport, the driver was a nutter

I loved Hungary though, beautiful women there
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #85
piotr71

In Poland there is getting better and better every year. Though, still may be noticed anger showed by drivers who "must" drive faster than others. Politeness is not a rule. Putting pressure on other drivers with flashing lights is still quite common. In built-up areas we drive 20% over speed limit. Quite a number of us still do not respect "no overtaking" signs.

We have virtues too We can react pretty fast facing changes on the roads, unlike drivers in some countries where I have had pleasure to drive. We know what winter is and during snowy time our streets are not paralyzed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Generally pretty good here in the UK.

Traffic lights and pedestrian crossings are respected 99% of the time, lane discipline on motorways is generally good, there's very little honking and angry gesticulating compared to other countries i've driven in. Most people will flash their lights to let you past a tight spot in a narrow road or to come out of a side road into a queue of traffic. Speed limits are generally observed pretty well except on motorways where it's normal to travel at 80-90mph when the limit is 70mph. Drink driving is socially frowned upon and most people would never do it.

We have some of the best road death stats in Europe along with Sweden and the Netherlands I think so we must be doing ok.

Of course there are exceptions, people who drive like idiots but most people are fine.
I mostly agree with all You said, but I let myself to add 2 things which are those I do not like on British roads.

1. One of characteristic driving behaviour of British motorists is keeping up driving on middle lane for no reason, on 3 lane motorways. It happens even if left lane is utterly clear for half a mile.
2. 3 of 5 drivers have problems to merge motorway traffic. Instead of speeding-up, they just slowing down. Probably, a shape of the merging lanes is to blame.

Basically though, I recognize British drivers as most patient and polite people all over Europe (considering about 15 European countries I have driven in)

Last edited by piotr71; February 6th, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM   #86
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Southern France (06):

Driving skills: 3.5/5
Following rules: 2.5/5

* People are generally impatient and drive aggressively, but are courteous towards other drivers. They will let you through to get to your exit, enter a busy road, etc.

* Motorway driving is good. People stay in the right lane (except for when there are 3 lanes, when of course they will stay in the middle lane, leaving the rightmost entirely free), and don't undertake. Indicating lane change is rare though. If it happens, the driver is usually halfway across to the next lane already.

* Traffic laws serve more as a guide than rules written in stone. There exists a second set of unwritten rules on top of this (for example, people will invariably pull to the sides at the lights to let the ever-present scooters and motorcycles through), and as long as you're aware of these it works out kind of ok.

* Park anywhere you want as long as you leave the emergency blinkers on. Parking space is more precious than gold here.

* People are generally alert and quick to respond to changing circumstances. This is really more of a requirement because of the driving style.

* There are of course exceptions. Lots of young drivers with no regard for rules, lanes or common sense. The same young drivers who end their lives in a ditch or smeared all over the road. Road rage exists, and the southern temper can really take this to a new level.
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #87
Scion

Likes (Received): 4632

China..........I'll let these videos do the talking

Scion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #88
mubd
Maglev Bus to Matraville!

Likes (Received): 951

Australia:3.5 (taxi drivers and truck are a very big exception).
It says left turn on red for a reason, *******!

For the taxi drivers:1. Of course, Mr Taxi Driver, let the passenger off in the right lane right in front of the bus at the bus stop.
Of course, Mr Taxi Driver, please pick your passenger up at the intersection with the green light.
For truck drivers:0. Of course, Mr Truck Driver, please load your truck in front of the hospital exit.
Of course, Mr Truck Driver, please cut me off in the suicide lane on the Sydney Harbour Bridge and almost push me half a lane into oncoming traffic and then speed off before I can catch a licence plate.
Of course, Mr Truck Driver, please go like a bat out of hell on the 70km/h freeway with your 'SPEED LIMITED 100' truck and go 100km/h in the right lane on a 110km/h freeway.
mubd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #89
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

what is with Chinese and red lights?
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:27 PM   #90
Ban.BL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Bosnia i would say 2,5
Croatia 2,5 too much speeding on the motorways
Serbia 2 generally no respect to other drivers
Macedonia 1,5 rules as if non existent
Montenegro 1 the craziest and the most irresponsible drivers

But i would increas for all this countries 1p (except Montenegro) when i see all those videos.
Ban.BL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #91
style

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjo View Post
I thought Italians were crazy though, I didn't drive on their roads but from what I could see, I'd give them a 1 out of five, though most of the crazy dangerous driving was down south.
it's true!! not like asian megalopolis, but very dangerous!
I am a criminal driver in Milan!
style no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #92
IRELAND

Likes (Received): 0

Has anyone here ever driven in Ireland? We are very bad, i'd give us a 0, you would swear everyone was a learner driver!
IRELAND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #93
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

i think we could easily rename this thread into "do people overall drive for 1 or 2"
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #94
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3706

As somebody said a few pages back, it depends on the state(of the US)you live in. In my state Maryland, I rate it 2/5 or less.

1.Less and less people are using turn signals.
2.Cutting people is common.
3.Drivers pulling in front of you from a side st into an major rd despite high speeds, forcing you to brake hard is common.
4.Left lane hoggers oblivious
5.Cars drive along each other at same speeds, blocking people from passing
6.Almost nobody stops for pedestrians at crosswalks(I admit I did it before)
etc.

Last edited by LtBk; February 7th, 2010 at 01:21 AM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:00 AM   #95
Morjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
1. One of characteristic driving behaviour of British motorists is keeping up driving on middle lane for no reason, on 3 lane motorways. It happens even if left lane is utterly clear for half a mile.
I like that system, it leaves the left lane for merging and exit traffic and the right lane for overtaking. Though this would only work well in light traffic.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #96
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

You can observe this phenomenon on virtually any motorway that has 3 or more lanes per direction.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #97
Morjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You can observe this phenomenon on virtually any motorway that has 3 or more lanes per direction.
Not in Australia
Heck you can sometimes get three trucks abreast on a three lane motorway, the frustration!

Last edited by Morjo; February 7th, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:26 AM   #98
KiwiGuy
¡VIVA EL GORDO!

Likes (Received): 1668

For specifically Nelson in New Zealand, I'd say about a 2.5-3. Driving is bad here, as many multilane roundabouts and roads confuse many driver (especially older drivers). The worse case I'd seen was where the road split for a lane to go to a roundabout and the other continued onto a "motorway". There was this woman on the median strip in an 80kph zone patiently waiting for someone to stop, yes STOP to let her in. Pedestrians here are the worst. They are French. They just wander out on a courtesy crossing like it is their right and wonder why the driver blows up with rage.

French drivers: 2. Very scary, as in "grip the seat OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO DIE!!!!" scary.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #99
Greg95100
Un banlieusard en Sologne

Location: Paris/Romorantin (Loir et Cher)/Argentan ( Normandie)
Likes (Received): 3847

Northern France :3
Southern France :2
Paris :1,5
Greg95100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #100
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjo View Post
I like that system, it leaves the left lane for merging and exit traffic and the right lane for overtaking. Though this would only work well in light traffic.
Yes, as long as cars on middle lane are moving faster than on left one, leaving enough space to be overtaken, it is, let's say ok. Although, in the UK people very often drive in the middle with lower speed to those keeping left. Such way of driving, forces left lane drivers, who want overtake, to go around slower moving vehicles across whole width of carriageway. This sort of behaviour works against lane discipline, courtesy, logic and traffic code and may be a factor causing traffic jams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I do agree indeed. Nowhere else though, I have noticed that scale of intensity of the phenomenon. Even overnight it goes in this way.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote