daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM   #121
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ban.BL View Post
In Bosnia people also comment H, PL, CZ and SK drivers and they are often seen as a bed drivers, very reckless.
Would you tell what is a main issue with them?
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #122
shutkaro

Likes (Received): 0

Indians are the best drivers in the world

We Indians are probably the best worst drivers in the world.

On a scale you will have to put us at minus -1000 or something. I dont know if i still be true to myself.

Government only not provides roads with potholes, no road signs.

Highest accident rates in world. One thing we top the chinese for developing world.

Who wants to take any driving lessons when you can bribe/buy one from local agent.

Bad governance of the country, corrupt politicians/officials itsquite shamefull we cannot provide decent services.

But coming back to topic of driving as we are in minus we are pretty cool then....
shutkaro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM   #123
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1339

People in Oregon in the U.S. are probably one of the safest drivers I've ever seen, considering I used to live in California.

However, seeing as how driving is so simple here, Californians tend to be more experienced and can therefore handle difficult situations easier than Oregonians can.

For example, most Oregonians I know don't know how to parallel park... even with a lot of room. Whereas, people from San Francisco that I know can parallel park in spots that seem to be impossible.

Also, when compared to Oregonians, Californian drivers are total *******s. You can go for a whole month in Oregon without ever hearing a single honk.

---

Oregon: 4.5/5
California: 2.5/5
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #124
mccol

Likes (Received): 1

Crazy Korean Drivers

Series 1-5 , its very interesting.

mccol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM   #125
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

UTHA drivers maybe?

Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #126
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo

Likes (Received): 1577

PHILIPPINES

it actually sucks when it comes to drivers of public vehicles especially buses and jeepneys.. with many of them doesn't know the proper overtaking...

PUBLIC: 2/5
PRIVATE: 4/5
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #127
Stahlsturm

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder which drivers deserve truly a 5? Maybe Germans? Though I don't like the fact you're almost being pushed by some bigass car behind you when you overtake a truck with 130 km/h. I guess no one drives perfectly.
Passing a truck with a lousy 130 kmh is pretty dangerous in Germany, hahaha.

Germans themselves think they deserve a 5 generally (there's yearly polls by the ADAC that annually come to that conclusion) but I think it's more of a 3 really. There's a pretty wide spread "Deputy"-mentality which I find supremely annoying. Other countries are much better in that aspect.

On German motorways I get routinely annoyed by Dutch (They actually call them "Die Gelbe Gefahr" around here...), Belgians and Danish drivers who just have a really hard time getting used to the realities of life around here. I have to admit that when I drive in their respective countries and adjust to the general way of driving there it is pretty relaxed (and sometimes even enjoyable) but then, Germany is not a country you can cross in 2 hours in every direction so we need to go a bit faster around here. I mean, The Czech and Austrians have a pretty small country too and they simply adjust when on a german motorway. I've never been held up by one of those (or Swiss for that matter) and there's plenty of those up and down the A 3 as well.

My favourite country to drive in is Italy though. I generally like driving in southern Europe (I also include France, Portugal and Spain here) because people are going faster in general and they also have a habit of getting out of each other's way. That may get hectic at times but I guess I like that when I'm driving. Sue me... :P

As for overseas, I've only driven in the USA (several 10000 miles though) and they have a similar style than Germans, just at half speed. They hog lanes, they think they are always in the right and never make way. It's less annoying because they have more than 2 lanes per direction most of the time and their trucks go as fast as the regular traffic and in most areas the population density is just WAY lower. At least passing on the right isn't illegal in the US or I'd probably be on Death Row by now...
Stahlsturm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #128
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by X236K View Post
My most pleasant driving experience comes from Sweden... They've got "5" from me.

Denmark: 4 1/2
Seriously...? I guess you also like to watch DVDs or read a book or take a nap while you drive ?
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #129
Stahlsturm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb View Post
- Tailgating (even at 70mph)
- Weaving in/out of lanes like crazy
- Talking on cellphones while driving on the expressway
- Exiting right at the last minute, cutting across 3+ lanes
- Excess speeding, showing off
- Using the hard shoulder as an extra lane.
You are describing my Boston experience there
Old June 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #130
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by transport21 View Post
Ireland: 1.5

The main issues are merging onto a motorway, tailgating, blocking the outside lane on a motorway/dual carrigeway, front fog lights on in any condition, rear fogs on sometimes and driving over the limit.
That's harsh, even in my short life I've noticed a big difference in Irish driving standards, its gotten much better than it used to be. What I like about the Irish is that they sort of pull into the hard shoulder on single carriageways so you can overtake
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #131
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
That's harsh, even in my short life I've noticed a big difference in Irish driving standards, its gotten much better than it used to be. What I like about the Irish is that they sort of pull into the hard shoulder on single carriageways so you can overtake
They do that also in Italy, but it annoys me. Doing something illegal (occupying the shoulder when there's no emergency) in lieu of letting some body else do something illegal (overtake with the continuous line) is not the way to go.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #132
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
...At least passing on the right isn't illegal in the US or I'd probably be on Death Row by now...
Actually, it is (at least in some states); it's just that no one knows it because it's unenforced.

New Jersey's threatening to start enforcing it - or rather the other side of that coin, the keep-right-except-to-pass principle - but I'll believe it when I see clear left lanes.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #133
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

Compared to what I have seen in other European countries, driving in Spain is just OK for me. Sure there is plenty of middle-lane hogging, tailgating or bad use of indicators (when none at all) in roundabouts or in lane changes, but I've seen that everywhere, so I take it for granted. Most (95%) people don't drive recklessly, adjust their speed to road conditions and observe a high percentage of the rules. Driving in big cities, especially in Barcelona, may be more hazardous than usual because of the high amount of motorcycles and scooters, but it only takes you an hour or so to get used to it.

So, I think that compared to other Euro drivers, we are just average. No big surprises to expect when you come to Spain from another country.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #134
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

My experience with Spain drivers is twofold: polite and unobjectionable in motorways, aggressive and undisciplined within city limits (at least in Granada).
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:44 PM   #135
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
Compared to what I have seen in other European countries, driving in Spain is just OK for me. Sure there is plenty of middle-lane hogging, tailgating or bad use of indicators (when none at all) in roundabouts or in lane changes, but I've seen that everywhere, so I take it for granted. Most (95%) people don't drive recklessly, adjust their speed to road conditions and observe a high percentage of the rules. Driving in big cities, especially in Barcelona, may be more hazardous than usual because of the high amount of motorcycles and scooters, but it only takes you an hour or so to get used to it.

So, I think that compared to other Euro drivers, we are just average. No big surprises to expect when you come to Spain from another country.
I agree with you on every word.

Netherlands: better then it used to be, since they have introduced harsh law enforcement on lane hogging.

Belgium: Average

Germany: Used to be fast but disciplined, but these days are long gone now. Although driving habits differs from region to region, to many Germans drive either aggressive, leaving no distance, or slow on an overtaking lane. On the Bundestra▀en Germans have fully lost the plot. No good driving to be found in Germany on secondary roads. Extremely slow, with sudden breaking and distracted drivers, makes Germany one of the worst countries to drive in off the motorway. Of course there won't be a single German driver agreeing with me here...

England: A mixture of bad and good drivers. And they are miles apart from each other. Has one of the worst lane disciplines in Europe.

Sweden: Ok, not much traffic, but Swedes often forget to switch back to the inside lane after overtaking. They move swiftly when a faster car approaches.

France: Best country to drive in. Metropolitan areas excepted, French have the best lane discipline and steady speeds. Minor irritation is the French leaving indicators on when overtaking, and not switching them off when moving back to lane one. Major irritation, when this overtaking vehicle does it on the middle lane.

Italy: Either slooooow on the middle lane, or aggresively fast on the overtaking lane. Italians love headlights flashing, wanting you to get out of the way, even when your are on somebody's ass yourself. Slight improvement in lane discipline in northern Italy.

Denmark: Slow and unsure. Lane discipline nihil. Not a very nice driving style.

Switzerland: See Denmark.

Austria: Major improvement in lane discipline. No clues on roundabouts, and major irritation: First breaking, then indicating.

Poland, Czech, Romania, Slovakia: Aggressive or slow. Will never ever give way to you, they will not let you in and due to using maximum road space, they will leave an inch behind you. Skoda┤s, made in Poland Fiats's, Lada`s and Trabants of course excepted, and there are a few of those about. No lane discipline.

These are my comments as a European express delivery driver in a van, speaking out of my own experience.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #136
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
They do that also in Italy, but it annoys me. Doing something illegal (occupying the shoulder when there's no emergency) in lieu of letting some body else do something illegal (overtake with the continuous line) is not the way to go.
It's done in Ireland even if there is a broken line. It's not like they continuously occupy the shoulder, its just for a minute, even the Garda does it. In Ireland it's not illegal on single carriageways anyway
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #137
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

I did it in Ireland. In Greece it appears to be a way of life, driving on the shoulder.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #138
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlsturm View Post
On German motorways I get routinely annoyed by Dutch (They actually call them "Die Gelbe Gefahr" around here...), Belgians and Danish drivers who just have a really hard time getting used to the realities of life around here. I have to admit that when I drive in their respective countries and adjust to the general way of driving there it is pretty relaxed (and sometimes even enjoyable) but then, Germany is not a country you can cross in 2 hours in every direction so we need to go a bit faster around here.
Do you think they only go to the first town across the border? Many of them cross the entire Germany, unlike Germans.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #139
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

my thought when I exit Germany for Austria or France: thank god for speed limits! Germany could be fun for about 1h of driving, then its just annoying.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #140
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder which drivers deserve truly a 5? Maybe Germans? Though I don't like the fact you're almost being pushed by some bigass car behind you when you overtake a truck with 130 km/h. I guess no one drives perfectly.
That never happens to be, guess I'm always the one in someone's mirror .

I love German drivers and absolutely hate Dutch on unlimited sections of the autobahn, who love to create trains of blocked traffic by throwing their city car into the left lane without mirroring at dangerous low speeds.

Generally speaking I dislike most 45+ drivers, and prefer to be on the road with people between 20 and 30 years old, they generally ( always exceptions) have the best lane discipline, and know what the throttle is.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote