daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 9th, 2012, 01:42 AM   #141
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Read my post about Germans.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #142
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Read my post about Germans.
Don't care about ''small distance'' or ''aggressive driving''.
Haven't noticed the poor lane discipline yet, usually no problems holding 180km/h on average on the unlimited sections if it's calm traffic.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:01 AM   #143
solchante
Registered User
 
solchante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Granada,España
Posts: 960
Likes (Received): 1457

A German roundabout


solchante no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:36 AM   #144
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Why hard if you can do it easy, if there's nobody else around (or if I'm not hindering anyone) I'd do the same...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 03:44 AM   #145
musiccity
Retired Mod
 
musiccity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 18,089
Likes (Received): 15132

Americans are generally decent drivers, I'd give us a 3.8/5. There are enough crazy drivers to bring the score down.

I've lived in a country with some of the highest traffic fatality rates in the World (Qatar) so I know first hand when a country has bad drivers. Qatar definitely gets a 1.

From what I've experienced, the best drivers in the World are in Western Europe particularly Germany. I've been on the German autobahns and Germans are amazing!
__________________
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

-Mark Twain
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #146
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Why hard if you can do it easy, if there's nobody else around (or if I'm not hindering anyone) I'd do the same...
That's not what's going on in the video though.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #147
Blackraven
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Makati (in the Philippines)
Posts: 2,294
Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFive View Post
Yip, I agree on the -1 and even then it could be less like -2 or -3. Having driven all over Metro Manila for a few months I am still amazed, shocked and dumbfounded regarding all traffic every minute I am in the car.

I have driven in countries thoughout Europe, North America and even Asia (Thailand, Taiwan etc) but Philippines wins hands down for the worst drivers.

No rule gets observed or is enforced and in fact the Police also don't observe any rules either.

Driving here has to be one of the scariest experiences you will ever have. It truely is wacky races with terrible, inconsiderate, kamikaze, selfish drivers along with loads of unroadworthy cars, buses and trucks.

It has to be seen to be believed and I literally laugh out loud may times as I cannot believe what I have just witnessed.



Beautiful country and really friendly people who morph into evil assassins behind the wheel
Indeed

We have dangerous swervers that don't even use signal lights when turning, some public utility vehicles (i.e. jeepneys, buses, pedicabs, etc.) that DO NOT EVEN USE HEADLAMPS at night .... and often than not, lanes DO NOT exist here. In fact, other slacker drivers just 'create' their own lanes (i.e. their vehicle in-between two marked vehicular lanes).

We definitely have driving environments that will scare off any foreigner.

In short:
Driving here in Metro Manila is like going into a warzone. You are like a soldier that has to stay alive in a battle amongst other vehicles.

Anyways, here's a video that you might find interesting. It's a BBC documentary featuring a man from the United Kingdom (works as a London bus driver) who comes to Manila to experience what it's like to drive a jeepney in the chaotic streets of our capital........as well to experience the extreme poverty that is faced by millions of local Filipinos each day.

Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM   #148
Jeroen669
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 787
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by solchante View Post
A German roundabout


Most german roundabouts are larger and have a physical inner circle, so they're not that chaotic as in this video.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 02:58 PM   #149
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

Roundabouts are in all sizes and shapes, even in Germany.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #150
european_driver
Registered User
 
european_driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Silesia
Posts: 279
Likes (Received): 27

In my opinion:

Polish drivers:
Generally: 2-2.5
6-8 years ago: 1.5 (visible progress)
Lot of young drivers: 1.5 (recklessness, to fast driving, showing off, inexperience)
Lot of sales representatives or business car driver: 1 (bitterness, recklessness, too fast driving)

Majority people driving correctly (80%), but some lower rate (20%)

The greatest Polish drivers sins:
- to risky overtaking
- breaking rules
- too high speed
- still too little kindness (but visible progress)
- blocking left lane large distance from narrowing (during trafic jam)
- no signal maneuver
- sit on rear bumper (too little distance from the preceding car)
- flash lights on rear (rarer than some years ago)

I think that major cause of unsafe driving in Poland are too mild penalties (too low tickets rates) for road offenses

Another countries:

Montenegro: 1 (The most crazy drivers whenever I see. Additionaly difficult mountains roads)
Lithuanian truck drivers: 1 (too high speed, risky overtaking)
Italy: 3
Austria: 5
Croatia: 4
Germany: 4 (no restricts on highways causes that some people drive too fast)
Slovakia: 2.5
Czech Republic: 3.5
Netherlands: 5
France: 3
Hungary: 3.5
Slovenia: 4

Last edited by european_driver; June 9th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
european_driver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #151
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

that crossroad must have been recently changed to roundabout.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #152
DanielFigFoz
Registered User
 
DanielFigFoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: No fixed abode
Posts: 4,428
Likes (Received): 890

There's plenty of driving over mini roundabouts in the UK, there's one near where I live where if try to go around it, the chances are, that you'd drive into a brick wall, because it s simple too tight to drive around.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #153
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin
 
g.spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Torino
Posts: 9,480
Likes (Received): 2098

Quite interestingly, yesterday during my entire trip Brescia-Bologna-Brescia, vast majority of bad drivers (in terms of lane discipline and breaking speed limits) were Germans and Austrians. Especially during my return trip in the night: I suspect foreign drivers just cannot resist empty motorways
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM   #154
CarltonHill
Kim Domingo
 
CarltonHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: MNL
Posts: 1,484
Likes (Received): 1577

A sample video of driving in the Philippines

Bay City Metro Manila (Reclamation Area)
(The area is split between Pasay City on the north side and Parañaque City on the south side.)


those white vehicles with yellow license plates are taxis..

Last edited by CarltonHill; June 10th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
CarltonHill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #155
verreme
Registered User
 
verreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 1,392
Likes (Received): 645

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
My experience with Spain drivers is twofold: polite and unobjectionable in motorways, aggressive and undisciplined within city limits (at least in Granada).
I've never driven in Granada, but as for the rest of Andalusia and Spain, I don't think drivers are particularly aggressive and/or undisciplined in cities. I mean, not more aggressive or undisciplined than in other countries I've been on. Madrid or Barcelona are of course different.

Driving on Spanish motorways is pretty relaxed and safe, although many people don't just understand that they have to keep some distance with the car in front. Middle-lane clogging is also an issue. But as I said in my previous post, you will find that everywhere in the known universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
my thought when I exit Germany for Austria or France: thank god for speed limits! Germany could be fun for about 1h of driving, then its just annoying.
I think the other way round

Love driving in Autobahnen. It sure has its drawbacks (traffic, construction zones with 4 lanes in a single carriageway, low speed limits at night for noise reasons), but the fact that you can safely drive 180+ km/h with the cooperation of other drivers that are used to it wipes them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHill View Post
A sample video of driving in the Philippines

Bay City Metro Manila (Reclamation Area)
(The area is split between Pasay City on the north side and Parañaque City on the south side.)


those white vehicles with yellow license plates are taxis..
Those boulevards, and that way to navigate roundabouts, remind me of Valencia.
verreme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #156
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by verreme View Post
I think the other way round

Love driving in Autobahnen. It sure has its drawbacks (traffic, construction zones with 4 lanes in a single carriageway, low speed limits at night for noise reasons), but the fact that you can safely drive 180+ km/h with the cooperation of other drivers that are used to it wipes them all.
I agree.

Speed limits are not of these times anyhow, cars are more n more safe yet we're stuck 20-30 years in the past with the current speed limits. Sometimes locally even worse limits now than 30 years ago.

We don't live in 1980 ffs, we have safer and faster cars now!
Speed limits on the motorway are only ''financial advisatory speeds'' imho, unless there's a camera/speedtrap/section control, I will always ignore the limit gladly and drive what I consider safe, this easily means 170-180km/h in the late hours even in Holland. 120 km/h ( or even 100 km/h) at 3am is quite frankly retarded. I find the war against speed in some countries ( cough Switzerland) barbaric and unnecessary abuse of power by the state, and I have no idea how people can support that kind of crap when they're bordering to a country which still has a normal idea about car traffic.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #157
Road_UK
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mayrhofen AT, Sneek NL, Bromley UK
Posts: 5,855
Likes (Received): 1599

I disagree. Although speed limits in some countries are too low, there is a road safety issue involved as well. It has nothing to do with safety of cars, but more about controlling your vehicle, and it is a proven fact that a lot of road deaths are due to excessive speeds. Italy for example is desperate to reduce road deaths by stricter enforcements of its speed limits. France has done the same, and deaths on their roads have reduced massively . And what you consider safe, may not be safe to others at all. Speed limits are there for a reason. Germany is the only country with stretches of motorway without speed limits. Do you think other countries can handle the same, in particular in area's where people cannot be trusted to drive as fast as they want?
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 12:14 AM   #158
snowdog
Speed freak
 
snowdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Capelle ad ijssel
Posts: 969
Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
I disagree. Although speed limits in some countries are too low, there is a road safety issue involved as well. It has nothing to do with safety of cars, but more about controlling your vehicle, and it is a proven fact that a lot of road deaths are due to excessive speeds.
Your opinion: A lot
My opinion: A small minority. You don't try to reduce deaths by lowering speed when the reason for the accident is something else, you enforce the reasons why an accident happens in the first place ( like not respecting the right of way). I know reducing speed reduces the amount of deaths even if the accident is caused by a different reason, but imho it's unacceptable to lower the speed limit for this reason, enforce the actual CAUSE of accidents instead, rather than a factor in the accident.

Quote:
Italy for example is desperate to reduce road deaths by stricter enforcements of its speed limits. France has done the same, and deaths on their roads have reduced massively.
Where do you draw the line between mobility&freedom VS safety ?
I highly doubt the ''massively reduced deaths'' are only because of speed enforcement.
Quote:
And what you consider safe, may not be safe to others at all. Speed limits are there for a reason.
Imho the wrong reasons.

You don't see the same whingers in Poland where the road safety is far worse yet they increased 130>140 km/h...

Quote:
Germany is the only country with stretches of motorway without speed limits. Do you think other countries can handle the same, in particular in area's where people cannot be trusted to drive as fast as they want?
Most motorways in the Randstad in Holland can easily yes, you are driving on 2x3/2x4/2x5 empty flat&straight roads, well lit, nowhere near any wildlife...

You can literally see miles ahead and even put one extra (or more) lane(s) as an overtake buffer...

Examples:
A16 Rotterdam>Breda
A15 Rotterdam>Spijkenisse
A12 All the way from The Hague to Utrecht & beyond.
A4 Den Haag>Amsterdam
A13 in it's whole.
A2 's Hertogenboch>Amsterdam

Last edited by snowdog; June 11th, 2012 at 12:25 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #159
Verso
Islander
 
Verso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ljubljana
Posts: 22,087
Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Your opinion: A lot
My opinion: A small minority.
No, it's a fact that high speed is the leading cause of road accidents, followed by alcohol.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #160
hofburg
middle lane hogger
 
hofburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Gorica
Posts: 3,270
Likes (Received): 464

is the high speed also the main cause on motorways?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium