daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC

Old January 31st, 2014, 09:09 PM   #27881
scando

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
So.. State Center is "kilt"....and I not talking about what some Irish wear.....
My guess is that State Center will be revived when Howard Street is gentrified, otherwise, there's just no reason to do it since there's plenty of development space closer to downtown there and it continues to be fallow in the worst way. "Transit Oriented" is a nice phrase, but then Howard is transit oriented too. Unfortunately, "when Howard Street is gentrified" is a way of saying it's going to take a while. The buildings in State Center are drab, but they're not on the critical list and can go on with minor repairs for quite a while.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 31st, 2014, 09:11 PM   #27882
scando

Quote:
Hurray... finally I can be proud of my street....

This should be a boost for Coldspring Lane and North Baltimore.. Cross Keys in making improvements.. the Rotunda is well underway as well...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...0,973343.story
Interesting. I'll be watching to see what happens there. It really is a strange building site, being sort of down in a hole, but it does have potential. I hope they do something to link it clearly to Cold Spring and Falls Road so it's not so isolated.
Old January 31st, 2014, 09:38 PM   #27883
Gsol

Likes (Received): 84

I am incensed about Baltimore's latest contribution to the pop culture scene, that being the movie released today; "12 O'Clock Boys". This glorification of lawlessness and contempt for motorists, pedestrains and the cops is now destined to be played out in other urban centers. There is absolutely no good to come from this film. It is unfortunate that a film maker from MICA chose this story about Baltimore life to present to the world. Unfortuantely the New York Times gives it a decent review, but not thinking of the negativity this film will bring. If the movie ended with this kid, Pug, getting out of this gang and into a more self-enriching life, then this film would be worthwhile. But his life doesn't change, the story ends where it began with Pug wanting to be accepted by this dirt bike culture. The film maker provided a lot of detail about this story on NPR last Sunday, that is how I know about this flick.

I wish Baltimore can export more positive images. If there are such talented film makers at MICA, why not showcase the city in a better light? Here is another story to toss in the bin with "Homicide" and "The Wire". What's next, corrupt correction officers sleeping with prisioners?

KLynch, StevenW, k25150 liked this post

Last edited by Gsol; January 31st, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Gsol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:03 PM   #27884
MDguy
Balto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsol View Post
I am incensed about Baltimore's latest contribution to the pop culture scene, that being the movie released today; "12 O'Clock Boys". This glorification of lawlessness and contempt for motorists, pedestrains and the cops is now destined to be played out in other urban centers. There is absolutely no good to come from this film. It is unfortunate that a film maker from MICA chose this story about Baltimore life to present to the world. Unfortuantely the New York Times gives it a decent review, but not thinking of the negativity this film will bring. If the movie ended with this kid, Pug, getting out of this gang and into a more self-enriching life, then this film would be worthwhile. But his life doesn't change, the story ends where it began with Pug wanting to be accepted by this dirt bike culture. The film maker provided a lot of detail about this story on NPR last Sunday, that is how I know about this flick.

I wish Baltimore can export more positive images. If there are such talented film makers at MICA, why not showcase the city in a better light? Here is another story to toss in the bin with "Homicide" and "The Wire". What's next, corrupt correction officers sleeping with prisioners?
You know "He's Just Not That Into You" made Baltimore out in a positive light
Old January 31st, 2014, 11:55 PM   #27885
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
Interesting. I'll be watching to see what happens there. It really is a strange building site, being sort of down in a hole, but it does have potential. I hope they do something to link it clearly to Cold Spring and Falls Road so it's not so isolated.
agreed. 400 market-rate apartments in such an isolated area seems rather cramped. Since Loyola's Athletic complex will be within a stone's throw of this development, Loyola students will probably snatch up most of the vacancy in this building on the day it opens...

Last edited by rockin'.baltimorean; February 2nd, 2014 at 12:17 AM.
rockin'.baltimorean está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2014, 02:16 PM   #27886
KLynch

Likes (Received): 161

That's a pretty huge development. It's not any more isolated than Mill #1. I think the appeal will definitely be a complex with its own stores and light rail access.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:28 AM   #27887
rockin'.baltimorean

according to this link below (on page 4), this TOD Cold Spring housing development was originally supposed to be 150 apartments & 4 stories tall....

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Office_...imore_City.pdf

well, now, it's ballooned to a whoopin' 400 apartments. If you consider the fact that this property is only 5 acres, the residential building should end up being about 7-8 stories....
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:47 AM   #27888
NYC007

Likes (Received): 114

Got these snaps of Hyatt Place (Central Ave and Fleet St) today from the passenger seat of my car on a drive by. It's not much, but for crying out loud, we need to get more photos up in this forum.

Looks like this thing is going really fast now that the concrete and steel are rising above ground.

pfd103 liked this post
NYC007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2014, 02:55 AM   #27889
NYC007

Also, I noticed today driving down Pratt Street past the R2integrated building, that the steel is finally going up. Won't be long and that project will be photo worthy too.
Old February 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #27890
NYC007

More photos from a drive-by today, Riverside Wharf on Key Highway and Lawrence. (I''ve said this before, but I always hate to say, "drive-by" in Baltimore.)

rockin'.baltimorean liked this post
Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:31 PM   #27891
rockin'.baltimorean

Old February 3rd, 2014, 03:52 AM   #27892
scando

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
That's a pretty huge development. It's not any more isolated than Mill #1. I think the appeal will definitely be a complex with its own stores and light rail access.
Somehow, Mill #1 doesn't look quite as isolated as the upcoming one on Cold Spring. It's right next to the Mill Center and, if you use Falls Road on work days as I do, it seems conspicuous, especially since it's quite visible from the JFX. It might help if this building has some height so you can see it from Cold Spring and Falls.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 05:29 PM   #27893
Coldspring

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scando View Post
The actual development is on the high ground next to Coldspring Lane.. There are currently a few old florist warehouse there now.. The low areas (down in the hole) are in a flood plain and are supposed to become parkland/open space. I think this area needs this type of development.> I dont think it will be a 'destination' but I think it will provide amenities for their residents, cyclists the bike trail, Coldspring-Newtown and complement activities at Loyola.. maybe even a "Greyhounds Bar" where people can hang before the game and then trek up the hill.. especially if they can park there as opposed to at Poly..If Loyola gets a football team.. then.....

Lots of good stuff happening in North Baltimore.. Rotunda, Cross Keys, Coldspring Lane, Woodberry-Mill District....

Last edited by Coldspring; February 3rd, 2014 at 05:37 PM.
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM   #27894
Clipper123

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Balto View Post
If this was Northern Virginia, you would be seeing these developments happening and this place would be off the charts.

Believe it or not, rightly or wrongly, people judge a place by design of its skyline and the amount of change that can be seen.

Will Baltimore look like it does now, unchanged over the next 30 years with tiny half-arsed developments?
Not sure I agree with most of this statement. NOVA is booming without much of a skyline. New Orleans, Paris, Annapolis and the list can go on and on are not judged by their skylines. Lots of good small projects will work well for Baltimore. I am not suggesting prime sites should not have density, but Baltimore can also do well with lots of little projects that are well designed for the pedestrian.
Clipper123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:37 PM   #27895
PeterSmith

Likes (Received): 840

Anybody else notice how whenever election season rolls around, Baltimore political candidates seek out the city's prime, blighted spots and plaster them with campaign posters?

I noticed last week that the vacant buildings at Howard and Franklin Streets, which are city-owned, are covered in "Belinda Conaway for Register of Wills" posters.

I imagine that this happens in other cities as well, but it's disappointing that our candidates so blatantly violate campaign laws.

pertplus, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
PeterSmith no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:30 PM   #27896
Hood

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue View Post
Interesting because I feel like Baltimore always thinks too small. The arena situation is embarrassing and so small time. We don't think we can support or lure an NBA or NHL team. It's sad. Of course we can. UA is trying hard to become a real player in Bball. We should be teaming with them to build a world class arena that features mixed use. You don't think people would want to live on top of a new arena steps from the harbor with beautiful views of the water/great access to the stadium complex and all the area neighborhoods?

As for Port Covington, I just don't want to see a repeat of Canton Crossing. There is no reason to create a suburban environment on prime real estate on the water. Mixed use is definitely the best option, and there is nothing wrong with starting slow and only building a couple of taller structures and slowly adding on from there as demand warrants.
I posted this on Kevin's site, but thought I would post here as well.

It’s a big site, which is isolated, so to make it desirable,it really needs to have strong drawing power. I am wondering if it makes senseto build a new modern high school there, one that competes with the best Howard
County Schools. The families in the cityare looking for reasons to stay, and schools are #1 on that list. The schoolcan be easily accessible from Canton and Fells through the tunnel. The creation of a school can have a stabilizing effect on our neighborhoods even though it may not be located right in the middle of these neighborhoods. The school complex, including the fields can be tucked up onto insulator drive and against Locke insulators and then that leaves the rest of the waterfront open for residential/retail development. New large marina can be created to take advantage of the water.
Hood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:47 PM   #27897
Coldspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSmith View Post
Anybody else notice how whenever election season rolls around, Baltimore political candidates seek out the city's prime, blighted spots and plaster them with campaign posters?

I noticed last week that the vacant buildings at Howard and Franklin Streets, which are city-owned, are covered in "Belinda Conaway for Register of Wills" posters.

I imagine that this happens in other cities as well, but it's disappointing that our candidates so blatantly violate campaign laws.
The reason for that is most city campaigns hire anyone with a pulse and wants to make a few bucks to do canvassing.. Therefore you get everything from kids to crackheads willing to post literature... They walk up and down some of the same streets that they are familiar with and since no one lives in a vacant.. viola... its goes up as on them...Violating campaign or zoning laws becomes another story.. Im sure the candidates will use their City connections to make them either go away or claim they didnt have anything to do with it.. its just their supporters showing them some love..... One would think that they wouldnt want ones name on a blighted property.. what type of message does that send....
Old February 3rd, 2014, 11:50 PM   #27898
Coldspring

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
according to this link below (on page 4), this TOD Cold Spring housing development was originally supposed to be 150 apartments & 4 stories tall....

http://www.mdot.maryland.gov/Office_...imore_City.pdf

well, now, it's ballooned to a whoopin' 400 apartments. If you consider the fact that this property is only 5 acres, the residential building should end up being about 7-8 stories....
I think that shows that there is significant demand in NoBa for market rate apartments.. I believe the Rotunda has a similar amount of units? Both projects will be coming on line one after the other........

I wonder what the name would be? It could have been Coldspring Station.. but there is a crappy apartment complex on GReenspring that has taken that name.. Maybe they will call it something related to the Jones Falls. Unfortunately, Coldspring Lane is like North Ave.. It has a bad reputation because of its "bookends" though the middle is OK.....
Old February 4th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #27899
NYC007

Port Covington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
It’s a big site, which is isolated, so to make it desirable,it really needs to have strong drawing power...
I think its isolation could be one of its selling points. You call it isolation. I call it seclusion. If there we're high rise condo towers in Port Covington, they'd have city skyline views and waterfront views. Easy on and off I-95, and easy access to downtown via two routes, Hanover St or Key Hgwy. Because it's separated from the rest of the city, it could be marketed as ultra exclusive, as I said, seclusion yet in the city. Seems pretty much perfect for a lot of people.

KLynch liked this post
Old February 4th, 2014, 03:36 AM   #27900
scando

Quote:
The actual development is on the high ground next to Coldspring Lane.. There are currently a few old florist warehouse there now.. The low areas (down in the hole) are in a flood plain and are supposed to become parkland/open space. I think this area needs this type of development.> I dont think it will be a 'destination' but I think it will provide amenities for their residents, cyclists the bike trail, Coldspring-Newtown and complement activities at Loyola.. maybe even a "Greyhounds Bar" where people can hang before the game and then trek up the hill.. especially if they can park there as opposed to at Poly..If Loyola gets a football team.. then.....

Lots of good stuff happening in North Baltimore.. Rotunda, Cross Keys, Coldspring Lane, Woodberry-Mill District....
I thought it would be where the old gas tower was. That was just a couple feet above the Jones Falls bank. A few extra floors would make it more conspicuous and 400 apts should make it busy. I'm glad to see this happen because its been such a barren stretch of ground...not natural, not developed, the worst of both worlds.

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary