daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Baltimore / Washington DC



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:52 PM   #15921
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,921
Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
So who's buying whom a beer around here???
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...t-for-new.html
I'm alarmed that people I know actually know things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
I know I'll be in for numerous "posts of derision" if Exelon doesn't go to Harbor Point. And, if that were the case, I'd deserve all the derision the forum can muster.

But Exelon is going to Harbor Point.

Apartments are really hot right now, and it's likely that 414 Light is queuing up for a tax break under the pretext of achieving parity with the other sites vying for Exelon.

'Cause, hey, they can use that tax break to make a big, honkin' profitable apartment building on the site a reality, too.

Downtown Partnership gets the consolation prize of more residents downtown; Harbor Point (Waterfront Partnership) gets Exelon and thus a kick start to that project. Just like the Marriott Hotel was the kick-start to Harbor East.

Everybody gets something. Ain't politics grand?
So, the question now is, does 414 get its PILOT? And if so, what's going to go there?

Trade the PILOT for a MACY*S and a high-rise with Central Park West style.

Create a downtown where residents have almost no reason to head to the 'burbs for shopping.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; February 1st, 2012 at 10:03 PM.
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:02 PM   #15922
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,921
Likes (Received): 153

deleted post
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM   #15923
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,764
Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
I'm alarmed that people I know actually know things.
So, the question now is, does 414 get its PILOT? And if so, what's going to go there?
Please no PILOT! A luxury housing building with a department store on the bottom would be very cool. That building will be across the street from the new arena, the Hyatt, the inner harbor and the Harbor Court... pretty good neighbors! Plus I'm sure they'll try to jazz up Charles St. on the block of the Arena, so could be an area that comes to life.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:26 PM   #15924
cgunna
Sons of Blood and Thunder
 
cgunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 734
Likes (Received): 3

Exelon picks Harbor Point for future headquarters

Harbor Point, a development project led by bakery magnate and developer John Paterakis Sr., has been selected as the site of the new headquarters for the combined Constellation-Exelon company if the proposed merger is completed, the energy giants announced Wednesday.

The selection of Harbor Point does not come as a big surprise to the development community. The former Allied Signal chemical plant site between Harbor East and Fells Point was often mentioned as an attractive location for Exelon to consider. The award is contingent on Exelon and Harbor East Development Group LLC reaching an agreement on lease terms and other conditions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5161327.story
__________________
Across 110th street...
cgunna no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:35 PM   #15925
baltimoreisbest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 351
Likes (Received): 10

Exelon picks Harbor Point for future headquarters

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5161327.story

Guess we got our answer.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:44 PM   #15926
BmoreBullets7
Registered User
 
BmoreBullets7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 126
Likes (Received): 4

I know some on this forum were hoping for constellation to land in the CBD. However, this decision will have major positive ripple effects on downtown development. Once the two sides agree to terms, H&S should then have enough leverage to convince the state kick in the funds to progress with the lacrosse hall of fame. And subsequent apartment and hotel projects will likely follow. - This is a major loss for the CBD no doubt, though IMHO it will be THE major catalyst for change. The CBD needs to reinvent itself to stay competitve.
BmoreBullets7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:49 PM   #15927
pertplus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Baltimore - Historic Madison Park
Posts: 397
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
I agree these tax breaks are ridiculous. As a middle class business owner, there is nothing more frustrating than the corporate welfare and poor welfare of this city.... while us load carriers in Fed Hill/Locust Point have to fundraise to get our own dog park built. Change the damn tax rate to 1% so you don't have to give anyone any breaks, and the middle class can flourish and not leave for the burbs so they can keep some of their money.
What line of work are you in?
pertplus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 10:51 PM   #15928
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,764
Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertplus View Post
What line of work are you in?
TV/Video Production
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:26 AM   #15929
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 5,985
Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Exelon picks Harbor Point for future headquarters

Harbor Point, a development project led by bakery magnate and developer John Paterakis Sr., has been selected as the site of the new headquarters for the combined Constellation-Exelon company if the proposed merger is completed, the energy giants announced Wednesday.

The selection of Harbor Point does not come as a big surprise to the development community. The former Allied Signal chemical plant site between Harbor East and Fells Point was often mentioned as an attractive location for Exelon to consider. The award is contingent on Exelon and Harbor East Development Group LLC reaching an agreement on lease terms and other conditions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5161327.story
finally!!! thanks for puttin' us outta' our mystery!!
__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #15930
k25150
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,879
Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post
Exelon picks Harbor Point for future headquarters

Harbor Point, a development project led by bakery magnate and developer John Paterakis Sr., has been selected as the site of the new headquarters for the combined Constellation-Exelon company if the proposed merger is completed, the energy giants announced Wednesday.

The selection of Harbor Point does not come as a big surprise to the development community. The former Allied Signal chemical plant site between Harbor East and Fells Point was often mentioned as an attractive location for Exelon to consider. The award is contingent on Exelon and Harbor East Development Group LLC reaching an agreement on lease terms and other conditions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5161327.story
Jamie 1 Everyone else 0
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 01:29 AM   #15931
GrayMatter
Throw some Boh's
 
GrayMatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 346
Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBullets7 View Post
I know some on this forum were hoping for constellation to land in the CBD. However, this decision will have major positive ripple effects on downtown development. Once the two sides agree to terms, H&S should then have enough leverage to convince the state kick in the funds to progress with the lacrosse hall of fame. And subsequent apartment and hotel projects will likely follow. - This is a major loss for the CBD no doubt, though IMHO it will be THE major catalyst for change. The CBD needs to reinvent itself to stay competitve.
I agree that it will have positive ripple effects, but these effects will be felt in harbor east and fells point. Their restaurants and shops and other street retail will be busier and more successful. The CBD is losing a major tenant and now will need to fill even more class a office space before the demand will be appropriate to start a new commercial development.

Its just a little unsettling when two of our remaining Fortune 500 companies up and move to Harbor East and abandon downtown.
GrayMatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 02:59 AM   #15932
jamie_hunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,921
Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMatter View Post
... Its just a little unsettling when two of our remaining Fortune 500 companies up and move to Harbor East and abandon downtown.
At the risk of sounding like a Pollyanna where downtown is concerned, I urge you to consider this:

Once Exelon's HQ, the apartments, the park, and possibly a new hotel are built on Harbor Point, there won't be a great deal of room left on the site for new commercial development.

And unless Perkins Homes is redeveloped, not much nearby, either.

The action will move back to the CBD: 414, One Light, the new arena, the old arena site, the News American site, Superblock.

By 2.1.13, the discussion here will be on how much is happening in the CBD.
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 03:07 AM   #15933
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 1,764
Likes (Received): 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
At the risk of sounding like a Pollyanna where downtown is concerned, I urge you to consider this:

Once Exelon's HQ, the apartments, the park, and possibly a new hotel are built on Harbor Point, there won't be a great deal of room left on the site for new commercial development.

And unless Perkins Homes is redeveloped, not much nearby, either.

The action will move back to the CBD: 414, One Light, the new arena, the old arena site, the News American site, Superblock.

By 2.1.13, the discussion here will be on how much is happening in the CBD.
Please tell that to the Mayor, Kirby and Cole so they don't start freaking out and giving tax breaks to everyone... but the workers!

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...ve.html?page=2

Quote:
City Councilman William H. Cole IV agreed, adding he’s seen indications that Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake is prepared to do whatever’s necessary to stem the flow of businesses from downtown.

“I think the mayor has demonstrated she’s willing to explore just about any option,” Cole said. “We need to really know what’s available. If you look at our surface lots, I think we need to sit down with the land owners there and get a real sense of how close they may be [to development] to see how we may be able to help.

Some of the parcels have sat vacant for decades, he said.
Cole would consider “any and all suggestions,” including offering city tax breaks for downtown development, he said.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:26 AM   #15934
rockin'.baltimorean
Registered User
 
rockin'.baltimorean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Owings Mills, Md. / Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 5,985
Likes (Received): 1182

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMatter View Post
I agree that it will have positive ripple effects, but these effects will be felt in harbor east and fells point. Their restaurants and shops and other street retail will be busier and more successful. The CBD is losing a major tenant and now will need to fill even more class a office space before the demand will be appropriate to start a new commercial development.

Its just a little unsettling when two of our remaining Fortune 500 companies up and move to Harbor East and abandon downtown.
  • the central business district will recover. Just last year, some of us were freakin' out about the old USF&G tower filling up, and now, it looks great with a quality tennant & awesome signage at the top of the building.

  • i'm really curious to see what Questar Properties is gonna' pull outta' their bag of tricks at 414 light street. Their website gives absolutely no indication on what to expect at this site. Expect something between 30-35 floors outta' this development, everyone!!

  • i have no faith in J.J. Clarke gettin' 1 Light Street developed. That's all I have to say concerning this.
__________________
B'more Birds' Nest..........Go Orioles!!!! Go Ravens!!!!

Last edited by rockin'.baltimorean; February 2nd, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
rockin'.baltimorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #15935
scando
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 4,705
Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin'.baltimorean View Post
  • the central business district will recover. Just last year, some of us were freakin' out about the old USF&G tower filling up, and now, it looks great with a quality tennant & awesome signage at the top of the building.

  • i'm really curious to see what Questar Properties is gonna' pull outta' their bag of tricks at 414 light street. Their website gives absolutely no indication on what to expect at this site. Expect something between 30-35 floors outta' this development, everyone!!

  • i have no faith in J.J. Clarke gettin' 1 Light Street developed. That's all I have to say concerning this.
While the Excelon deal isn't the great thing for the CBD, it also is not a big negative either. I've long thought that we needed to expand our view of what "downtown" is. After all these years, most people still think of downtown as basically, the area that was burned in 1904. The building at HP will expand downtown for us, just as the Inner Harbor and Harbor East did. I have to admit that HP was not my pick, but so what...i'm not building the thing. I am really interested to see what they do. Considering the likely height limitation, I guess it will be a big footprint complex and if that mostly fills up HP, then vacant land will be in a smaller supply so all the better (in the long term) for the CBD. The best part of this is that they still will be in the center city, rather than a suburban office park.
scando no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM   #15936
LtBk
Registered User
 
LtBk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Baltimore suburbs
Posts: 2,650
Likes (Received): 1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
More subsidies for a system we don't need and the market doesn't want.
What makes you think Baltimore metropolitan area doesn't need a mass transit system? I don't know if people here have said it before, but good mass transit makes more sense in a place like Baltimore rather than sprawling auto-centric cities like Houston and Charlotte.

Last edited by LtBk; February 2nd, 2012 at 09:00 PM.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 05:27 AM   #15937
pfd103
Bmore
 
pfd103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 1,255
Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
What makes you think Baltimore metropolitan area doesn't need a mass transit system? People may have said it before, but good mass transit makes more sense in a place like Baltimore rather than sprawling auto-centric cities like Houston and Charlotte.
Not to mention the fact that ridership continues to climb as the cost and time increase for other forms of commuting in the area.
__________________
Bmore Interested on the web
www.BmoreInterested.com
pfd103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM   #15938
drewlinc618
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 40
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMatter View Post
Density combined with well spaced tall skyscrapers is what makes a great skyline. If Baltimore got a 900 footer it would look pretty awkward... Unless it went through a building boom like Philadelphia in the late 80s-90s and got 7 buildings ranging from 565 to 945 over 5 years.
Very true. A 900 footer would like very awkward. But what about a 650-700 footer at the 300 E. Pratt St. site. It would look beautiful and symmetric. It's a start. Right now our tallest is about as interesting as a cardboard box.
drewlinc618 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 04:59 PM   #15939
Coldspring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 907
Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
At the risk of sounding like a Pollyanna where downtown is concerned, I urge you to consider this:

Once Exelon's HQ, the apartments, the park, and possibly a new hotel are built on Harbor Point, there won't be a great deal of room left on the site for new commercial development.

And unless Perkins Homes is redeveloped, not much nearby, either.

The action will move back to the CBD: 414, One Light, the new arena, the old arena site, the News American site, Superblock.

By 2.1.13, the discussion here will be on how much is happening in the CBD.
I would agree.. however; HE is basically an oasis in the middle of complex urbanity. I think most of the companies are moving down there, not only because its the 'IN' neighborhood for commercial and office development.. but you dont have some of the problems that you have in the CBD from homeless to preceptions of crime and aging buildings/infrastructure. I live in the City so either I have grown used to or not offended by what I consider to be nuances of being in an urban downtown.. but most people like HE because its "urban" but feels suburban with its sleek restaurants, condos, movie theaters, etc. CBD is going to have to address some of the perception issues because most of the daytime warriors that work and make decisions in these buildings are from the suburbs and dont wont to have to deal with what they consider to be urban ills...which is why all the skywalks and flyovers were built... so they would not have to leave the safety of your fortress....Just my thoughts..
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM   #15940
FrankieSez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 169
Likes (Received): 0

Need that footbridge connecting Fed Hill and HE asap....though the Inner Harbor merchants will probably squawk.
FrankieSez no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu