daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC

Baltimore / Washington DC Found urban images from all around the world not taken by you

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2012, 06:03 PM   #15921
Coldspring

Likes (Received): 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMatter View Post
Well said. This city really makes me scratch my head sometimes...
Its sad.. but the truth is it is all Politics... I give you a tax break and you give me 'perks' or money so that I can run for office again and turn around and give you a tax break for your development. Then I run off to the residential sections of my district and go to churches, lodges and neighborhood meeting and listen to complaints and launch a few of my own about all those greedy developers downtown and how we have to close down a rec center because we dont have any money and how "they" will forget about our district if you dont send me back downtown to fight for you..and how the crime is bad and we should fire the commissioner blah blah blah....whatever gets the room on its feet and solicits cheers from the audience. Then I run off downtown to the Merritt Athletic Club to work out with a prospective developer looking to do something somewhere downtown...... Its a vicious cycle.........

I do think its crazy that the City allows development to siphon prospects off from one side of town to go to the other.. that is certainly counterproductive. The bottom line is its easy to borrow millions of dollars of bonds or abate millions of dollars of taxes.. since most of these politicos will not be around when the check comes due....at this rate.. most residents wont be either.....

Last edited by Coldspring; February 1st, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #15922
jamie_hunt

Likes (Received): 749

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfneil View Post
Lets give this guy an honorary avatar for the forum:

A world-class transit system for Baltimore
The potential exists for a true public transportation hub downtown
Comments 0
By Gregory Spencer Jr.

... We have world-class tourist attractions and world-class stadiums. Why not a world-class transit system for our citizens and visitors alike? ...Gregory Spencer Jr. is a bus operator with the Maryland Transit Administration. His email is gregofbmore@aol.com.
Love the guy's enthusiasm, and am definitely on board with a super-tall, multi-use tower on the arena site.

But a "world-class" system would involve replacing the proposed Red Line with a subway line connecting west and east that tapped into the existing downtown subway tunnel and took advantage of the massively overbuilt Charles Center station -- through which the north-south Yellow Line would also eventually run.

And also eventually using the CSX tunnel under Howard Street to "bury" the Light Rail line to speed it up and reopen Howard to regular traffic.

I mean, if you're going to be talking about "world-class" -- the systems in DC, Moscow, and London come to mind -- you really have to be committed to "world class" rather than repackaging a bunch of disparate rail lines and calling it "world class."

'Cause, as Captain Obvious would say, "world class" literally means "in the same class as the rest of the world."
jamie_hunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:09 PM   #15923
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Lets give this guy an honorary avatar for the forum:

A world-class transit system for Baltimore
The potential exists for a true public transportation hub downtown
Comments 0
By Gregory Spencer Jr.

11:14 a.m. EST, February 1, 2012
The corner of Howard and Lombard streets has the potential to be the pulse point of a healthier city and region. This is where the proposed Red Line and the existing Light Rail line will directly connect, addressing two long-standing deficiencies with mass transit in this city: the lack of an east/west rapid transit line and the absence of a direct transfer between rail lines to create a true "system." Baltimore and Maryland should consider taking this transfer point one step further.

If a new arena does rise alongside an expanded Convention Center, as proposed, the current arena and its parking garage should be razed, the area cleared, and the space transformed into a modern, multilevel and multi-modal transit hub. This would be similar to what is being constructed in Silver Spring or, on a grander scale, the existing Port Authority Terminal in New York. The Maryland Transit Administration's local routes that terminate and/or pass through downtown could be reconfigured to terminate and originate at the facility. The same could be done with the MTA's commuter and express lines. Giving all lines a common terminal would allow seamless transfers in a comfortable, climate-controlled facility that's centrally located and easily accessible. This is an excellent site for an intercity bus terminal given all the connections at the facility as well as its easy access to I-95.

Ground level of the transit center would be for unloading of the MTA's local, commuter and express lines, as well as for connections to the rail lines. (The Metro Subway entrance is only a block away and could be connected via moving sidewalk.) This would be the level to get information, pick up schedules, and purchase tickets and passes. Next level up would be for boarding of local buses; above that, a level for boarding of commuter and express buses; next, a level dedicated to Greyhound. The top of the facility could be dedicated to tour buses and discount carriers such as BoltBus and MegaBus.

Outside of the facility would be stops for the Charm City Circulator, which would only need slight modifications of its routes to serve it, expanding its role of circulating people throughout downtown. Sharing these stops would be the MTA's Quickbus, which would retain its through-routings downtown. Additionally, there would be areas dedicated for "Kiss and Ride" dropoffs and bike storage. Street-level retail and as much green space as possible would also complement the facility in an area of downtown that would benefit from more foot traffic. Another possible bonus of the site is that it sits next to the Howard Street Tunnel. Should CSX ever decide to abandon it, the MARC Camden Line could be extended further into the Central Business District.

Of course, funding this project would have to be addressed. I would suggest a public/private partnership between the city, the state (MTA), Greyhound Lines and a private developer who sees the huge potential in the site. Above this Transit Center could rise Baltimore's signature skyscraper. Its tallest structure, with a hotel, space for retail, offices, condos and apartments with phenomenal views of the city. Imagine the incentive of living and/or working in a structure where all you need to do is take the elevator downstairs and be within walking distance of some of the better destinations of the city or have a direct connection via bus or rail to take you anywhere you want to go in the region and beyond.

MayorStephanie Rawlings-Blakewants to expand Baltimore's population in the next decade, and I share her sentiment. A more populous Baltimore is a healthier one. This city has some catching up to do, especially to be competitive in the Northeast Corridor. A successful city needs a robust transit network. Public transit that works well for all of its citizens, poor or rich, young or old is the fabric that ties a city together.

With the price of oil and increased global demand for it sure to rise astronomically in the next couple of decades, now is the time to start positioning ourselves for a time when driving everywhere in our personal vehicles is no longer practical. Having a well-connected transit system in place will play an important role in the long-term health of this city. The Red Line and the proposed transit center could be at the heart of that, a destination to destinations. It's time for this region to reverse its decades-old opposition to mass transit and embrace it for the catalyst is has the potential to be.

Is this "pie in the sky"? The same thing at one point was said about the Inner Harbor. It was said about Camden Yards. Look at the destinations they have become. The late, great Mayor William Donald Schaefer's legacy is not only these iconic landmarks but the ideal that Baltimore is capable of anything if we believe in what is possible.

We have world-class tourist attractions and world-class stadiums. Why not a world-class transit system for our citizens and visitors alike?

Gregory Spencer Jr. is a bus operator with the Maryland Transit Administration. His email is gregofbmore@aol.com.
I really like this idea.

Zero chance it ever happens though since it would have to be paid for by the city or state money.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:12 PM   #15924
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie_hunt View Post
Love the guy's enthusiasm, and am definitely on board with a super-tall, multi-use tower on the arena site.

But a "world-class" system would involve replacing the proposed Red Line with a subway line connecting west and east that tapped into the existing downtown subway tunnel and took advantage of the massively overbuilt Charles Center station -- through which the north-south Yellow Line would also eventually run.

And also eventually using the CSX tunnel under Howard Street to "bury" the Light Rail line to speed it up and reopen Howard to regular traffic.

I mean, if you're going to be talking about "world-class" -- the systems in DC, Moscow, and London come to mind -- you really have to be committed to "world class" rather than repackaging a bunch of disparate rail lines and calling it "world class."

'Cause, as Captain Obvious would say, "world class" literally means "in the same class as the rest of the world."
Yeah, a world class transit system will never be achieved, unfortunately. Baltimore is not a world class city despite his claims that it is or has some world class stuff. But we could have a system akin to Porto. I know our system has been built piece meal but a transit hub would bring it all together.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM   #15925
murfneil

Likes (Received): 73

Quote:
... if you're going to be talking about "world-class" -- the systems in DC, Moscow, and London come to mind ..."
I haven't been to London lately and never to Moscow but I ride the DC system daily and can gratifyingly report for the purpose of this discussion that, if DCs system is the baseline, Baltimore's really doesn't have as far to go as common perception would have you believe.
murfneil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:24 PM   #15926
k25150

Likes (Received): 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
There was also 2 homicide add ins from last year. So really it was 9. Typically homicides are low in Jan and Feb because the weather is so cold and there is a ton of snow. Obviously that is not the case this year, so 9ish is a great start.
Don't know about that. It's seldom brutally cold and more rare is a ton of snow.
k25150 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:25 PM   #15927
k25150

Quote:
I haven't been to London lately and never to Moscow but I ride the DC system daily and can gratifyingly report for the purpose of this discussion that, if DCs system is the baseline, Baltimore's really doesn't have as far to go as common perception would have you believe.
More subsidies for a system we don't need and the market doesn't want.
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #15928
BaltoSteve

Likes (Received): 115

So who's buying whom a beer around here???
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...t-for-new.html
We wanna live - dirty old town
Dirty old town

David Byrne
BaltoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM   #15929
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by k25150 View Post
More subsidies for a system we don't need and the market doesn't want.
Interestingly (and to your point), the synonym for "world class" is "freakishly expensive."
Old February 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM   #15930
jamie_hunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltoSteve View Post
So who's buying whom a beer around here???
http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...t-for-new.html
I'm alarmed that people I know actually know things.

Quote:
I know I'll be in for numerous "posts of derision" if Exelon doesn't go to Harbor Point. And, if that were the case, I'd deserve all the derision the forum can muster.

But Exelon is going to Harbor Point.

Apartments are really hot right now, and it's likely that 414 Light is queuing up for a tax break under the pretext of achieving parity with the other sites vying for Exelon.

'Cause, hey, they can use that tax break to make a big, honkin' profitable apartment building on the site a reality, too.

Downtown Partnership gets the consolation prize of more residents downtown; Harbor Point (Waterfront Partnership) gets Exelon and thus a kick start to that project. Just like the Marriott Hotel was the kick-start to Harbor East.

Everybody gets something. Ain't politics grand?
So, the question now is, does 414 get its PILOT? And if so, what's going to go there?

Trade the PILOT for a MACY*S and a high-rise with Central Park West style.

Create a downtown where residents have almost no reason to head to the 'burbs for shopping.

Last edited by jamie_hunt; February 1st, 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #15931
jamie_hunt

deleted post
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #15932
KLynch

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
I'm alarmed that people I know actually know things.
So, the question now is, does 414 get its PILOT? And if so, what's going to go there?
Please no PILOT! A luxury housing building with a department store on the bottom would be very cool. That building will be across the street from the new arena, the Hyatt, the inner harbor and the Harbor Court... pretty good neighbors! Plus I'm sure they'll try to jazz up Charles St. on the block of the Arena, so could be an area that comes to life.
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:26 PM   #15933
cgunna
2A

Likes (Received): 7

Exelon picks Harbor Point for future headquarters

Harbor Point, a development project led by bakery magnate and developer John Paterakis Sr., has been selected as the site of the new headquarters for the combined Constellation-Exelon company if the proposed merger is completed, the energy giants announced Wednesday.

The selection of Harbor Point does not come as a big surprise to the development community. The former Allied Signal chemical plant site between Harbor East and Fells Point was often mentioned as an attractive location for Exelon to consider. The award is contingent on Exelon and Harbor East Development Group LLC reaching an agreement on lease terms and other conditions.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bre...,5161327.story
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:35 PM   #15934
baltimoreisbest

Likes (Received): 67

Guess we got our answer.
baltimoreisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:44 PM   #15935
BmoreBullets7

Likes (Received): 11

I know some on this forum were hoping for constellation to land in the CBD. However, this decision will have major positive ripple effects on downtown development. Once the two sides agree to terms, H&S should then have enough leverage to convince the state kick in the funds to progress with the lacrosse hall of fame. And subsequent apartment and hotel projects will likely follow. - This is a major loss for the CBD no doubt, though IMHO it will be THE major catalyst for change. The CBD needs to reinvent itself to stay competitve.
BmoreBullets7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:49 PM   #15936
pertplus

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch View Post
I agree these tax breaks are ridiculous. As a middle class business owner, there is nothing more frustrating than the corporate welfare and poor welfare of this city.... while us load carriers in Fed Hill/Locust Point have to fundraise to get our own dog park built. Change the damn tax rate to 1% so you don't have to give anyone any breaks, and the middle class can flourish and not leave for the burbs so they can keep some of their money.
What line of work are you in?
pertplus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 09:51 PM   #15937
KLynch

Likes (Received): 774

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertplus View Post
What line of work are you in?
TV/Video Production
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2012, 11:26 PM   #15938
rockin'.baltimorean

Likes (Received): 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post

Harbor Point, a development project led by bakery magnate and developer John Paterakis Sr., has been selected as the site of the new headquarters for the combined Constellation-Exelon company if the proposed merger is completed, the energy giants announced Wednesday.

The selection of Harbor Point does not come as a big surprise to the development community. The former Allied Signal chemical plant site between Harbor East and Fells Point was often mentioned as an attractive location for Exelon to consider. The award is contingent on Exelon and Harbor East Development Group LLC reaching an agreement on lease terms and other conditions.

finally!!! thanks for puttin' us outta' our mystery!!
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM   #15939
k25150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgunna View Post

Jamie 1 Everyone else 0
Old February 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM   #15940
GrayMatter
Throw some Boh's

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBullets7 View Post
I know some on this forum were hoping for constellation to land in the CBD. However, this decision will have major positive ripple effects on downtown development. Once the two sides agree to terms, H&S should then have enough leverage to convince the state kick in the funds to progress with the lacrosse hall of fame. And subsequent apartment and hotel projects will likely follow. - This is a major loss for the CBD no doubt, though IMHO it will be THE major catalyst for change. The CBD needs to reinvent itself to stay competitve.
I agree that it will have positive ripple effects, but these effects will be felt in harbor east and fells point. Their restaurants and shops and other street retail will be busier and more successful. The CBD is losing a major tenant and now will need to fill even more class a office space before the demand will be appropriate to start a new commercial development.

Its just a little unsettling when two of our remaining Fortune 500 companies up and move to Harbor East and abandon downtown.
GrayMatter no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary