daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2010, 06:18 AM   #2081
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botswana View Post
Politics aside, this building is heinous. Even with the class cladding, it looks like some supervillain HQ.
Kim Jong-Il is the supervillain and he is the one that is making his civilians build this
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:31 AM   #2082
diz
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Two functioning trolleybuses in one shot! So no electricity problems on that particular day, unless these two are stopped in their tracks (or, more accurately, stopped in their wires). But I highly doubt that because you can see a couple of passengers out the rear window of the red trolleybus.

The green one on the left looks like something from the 1950s. Hard to believe those are still running.

That yellow sign means that there's a pedestrian crosswalk ahead, but I can't see any zebra stripes on the pavement. There is a pedestrian who appears to be jaywalking across this six-lane avenue. Is that tolerable in a police state?

What is also interesting about this shot is that the platform in front of the hotel is still raw concrete. It hasn't been glassed up or anything. Which suggests that the priority was how this building would look from afar, in the skyline, instead of up close, where few would see it.
stfu, jesus.
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM   #2083
Mark Rejhon

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
That's one of them. I've seen several others.

Guys, I've been reading every single page of this thread -- page 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,
24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60,61,62,63,
64,65,66,67,68,69,70,71,72,73,74,75,76,77,78,79,80,81,82,83,84,85,86,87,88,89,90,91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98,99,100,101,
102,103,104, and page 105... Then on some of those not posted, search the same flickr usernames of the better photos posted,
they often have other pictures on flickr not posted here. There is a couple of foreign hobby photographing enthusiast that routinely
gets permission to get this close.

EXAMPLE -- http://www.flickr.com/photos/zaruka/...7624761048352/
image hosted on flickr

...and several others!...
There are closeup photos on flickr already, that's right up to the premises if you search carefully. SkyScraperCity ain't the center of the Internet...
The favourite photographer is zaruka, he's taken many great photos.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; December 1st, 2010 at 07:43 AM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 07:55 AM   #2084
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5322

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
stfu, jesus.
what the **** is your problem, you piece of shit douchebag???
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2085
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Would like to see that on a Hallmark card.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:19 AM   #2086
MattToronto
Less is More

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Would like to see that on a Hallmark card.
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #2087
AndrewJM3D

Likes (Received): 537

I'm glad for North Korea that they can finish this. They are nice people and U.S media paints the entire country out to be evil. I had no idea this was being finished so this is a nice surprise.
Old December 1st, 2010, 11:56 AM   #2088
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Do you even know what you're talking about? ( Seeing how slow you are, I don't think you do. )

Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM   #2089
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
what the **** is your problem, you piece of shit douchebag???
Why do you think that North Korea has literally no electricity at all?

Why are you surprised that its public transit system operates?

Why do you think a jaywalker is...what, going to be arrested immediately and sent to the concentration camps?

NB, that platform has been built entirely in the last couple of years. I imagine they'll get around to finishing it once they've finished with the tower.

Google world shows there has been work on the platform. http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...09055&t=h&z=17
And those blue roofs again! (And there appear to be very large houses with gardens directly east of the Ryugyong. Inner Party member residences?)

Last edited by mediadave; December 1st, 2010 at 04:08 PM.
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2090
Zaruka

Likes (Received): 25

I have been asking to go to the construction site for the last two visits and this time I got to go. I may ask again in September to get an update. It is hard to get good photos due to weather but next year I am bringing better lenses and will try to get closer. My dream is to go inside. If the restaurant opens inside I intend to go. I cannot get back until after July 2011 but the 16 day September tour is what I intend to do. I will report on activity.
Yes, it was quite a rush to pull up to the site. I have other photos from 2008 and 2009 of the building. They seem more open about it now.
Thanks for the looks. - Ray
Zaruka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2091
Frothy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
I'm glad for North Korea that they can finish this. They are nice people and U.S media paints the entire country out to be evil.
No, just their government. There's a big difference between a country's government and its people. Everyone here recognizes that people are pretty much the same in every country.
Frothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2092
Swiddle

Likes (Received): 293

Good progress all around the building. From Google Earth:

The newer image is almost a year old now.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 01:48 AM   #2093
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
(And there appear to be very large houses with gardens directly east of the Ryugyong. Inner Party member residences?)
No, of course not.

Those are pachinko parlors.

Everyone knows that.
Old December 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM   #2094
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediadave View Post
Why do you think that North Korea has literally no electricity at all?

Why are you surprised that its public transit system operates?
Just to add to that, Pyongyang is, a showpiece city designed to impress visiting foreigners and, just as importantly, the place where the North Korean élite live and work, so the régime makes sure that the city's infrastructure works as well as possible under the circumstances. In fact, the government has recently revised the Pyongyang City Management Law, which defines how the city is run and what resources must be provided:
Quote:
Article 17 stipulates that “the construction of housing must completely guaranteed,” and Article 51 states that planning for and production of commercial goods for Pyongyang must be ensured “without fail.” Housing, goods, electricity, capital and other necessities for the modernization of Pyongyang have now been essentially legally guaranteed. New housing in the capital has been a priority for the North, with construction already underway and plans for 30,000 additional units next year and 35,000 more in 2012. In order to show off these new renovations day and night, Article 27 calls for the “logical installation of street lights” to brighten walkways, roads, and national monuments. The new legal revision appears to be yet another step toward shoring up the framework for establishment of a ‘Strong and Prosperous Nation’ and transition of power to yet a third generation of Kims.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:52 AM   #2095
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJM3D View Post
I'm glad for North Korea that they can finish this. They are nice people and U.S media paints the entire country out to be evil. I had no idea this was being finished so this is a nice surprise.
Oh really? I had no idea you were a resident of North Korea.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM   #2096
Mark Rejhon

<soapbox>Woonsocket54 and diz, stop that. *Both* of you clearly went against SkyScraperCity forum rules.
Other people are already clicking the button under your name, trying to get you banned already. So settle down & focus on the useful discussions. Now back to your regular program. Skyscraper talk please. Thank you. This public notice reminds everyone they have the power to alert the owners of this website of problem posts, using one click.</soapbox>

Woonsocket54, your original post (before diz) is still more interesting than the boring politics, and did not deserve jiz' reply, but your subsequent reaction does not belong either, IMHO. (And if jiz must disagree, forum etiquette clearly shows that mediadave's question-based response is more appropriate than jiz's response, if you had to pick one of the two.)

*switching to immediate sidetrack mode -- trying to get thread back on topic*

--> Swiddle, excellent observation & photo mashup. Keep them coming.
--> mediadave, good link used by Swiddle to produce the animated gif.
--> Zaruka, excellent photos on flickr -- they are among the best & most educational architecture imagery.
--> Everyone, let's continue to compliment other posters (and photographers!) that work hard to post photos.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; December 2nd, 2010 at 05:16 AM.
Mark Rejhon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 05:17 AM   #2097
Gendo

Likes (Received): 77

This section of the forum is not for political or economic debate. Go make a thread in the Skybar if you want to discuss those issues.

This thread was created for discussion and opinions about the Ryugyong Hotel, and nothing else.

I agree with Mark. Please stay on the topic that this thread was created for folks.

Thanks.
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:04 AM   #2098
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

It's difficult to part the politics from the skyscraper when it comes to this profoundly perplexing Potemkin pyramid, whose raison d'être appears to be to make a pretentious polemical political proclamation.
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #2099
Neoxsparkx
Zahle

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenand View Post
Here's some more, pictures taken only 4 days ago!

image hosted on flickr
What an amazing and unique tower! Why can't you admire the brilliance of this building and leave the politics to the governments?

I guess everyone is a political analyst these days
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #2100
FriendofDPRK
BANNED

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f0e_1190803294

A good video about life in Pyongyang. The average apartment is 150 square meters... which is quite a size. So likely much of this new building will be dedicated to apartments as US maintains so called "sanctions" against the DPRK and there won't be a lot of tourists until they are lifted.

Also there is very much vituperation and anti-DPRK propoganda on this thread. I will not get greatly off subject, but suffice it to say there are many starving people in the so called "united states"... even main politicians in the democratic party admit this to be a fact, so stop the provocations against the DPRK.

EDIT: Is it possible to embed videos here? I would like to embed the video about life in Pyongyang for viewing here.
FriendofDPRK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel