daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #201
Hollie Maea

Likes (Received): 25

The concrete isn't nearly as bad as it looks, kids.
Hollie Maea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM   #202
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

If you look closely at the flat surfaces on the corner that is visible it looks like the rebar is exposed in quite a few places. That definitely will cause long-term problems since water will have seeped in a round it and moved via capillary action quite a distance. The resulting corrosion of the rebar will cause weakening of the structure.

On another point, does anyone know if elevators were planned to run up those faces? It's sort of looks like that might be part of the plan, if it is it will certainly be a unique feature.
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #203
thebobo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
It doesn't "veer" anywhere. It's just that the edges are ruined. Most probably superficial stuff.
Disagree with you on that. There is a lot of discoloration and spalling on the building, yes, but that can't account for what you see below. Have a look as the entire angled wall moves away and back over a sequence of floors from a set of straight lines I drew in. I used adjacent vertical walls as controls to eliminate lens distortion as the cause of this. I'm not saying it's a safety issue, but it's most definitely an indicator of shoddy workmanship.

[IMG]http://i42.************/254zwja.jpg[/IMG]
thebobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #204
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobo View Post
Disagree with you on that. There is a lot of discoloration and spalling on the building, yes, but that can't account for what you see below. Have a look as the entire angled wall moves away and back over a sequence of floors from a set of straight lines I drew in. I used adjacent vertical walls as controls to eliminate lens distortion as the cause of this. I'm not saying it's a safety issue, but it's most definitely an indicator of shoddy workmanship.
http://i42.************/254zwja.jpg
Interesting job you made, but the lines seem to prove me right. It's just the edges and the surfaces that are ruined. I'm failing to see any misalignment of the main wall, all the windows fall in line for how long I stare at them. Maybe one is one inch off, ok.
But If I may, I'd like to ask you and all the other folks who are working so hard to dismiss this building as useless and ugly and unrecoverable and so on, are you sure your energies wouldn't be better used elsewhere? I mean there are tons of specimens out there that are real insults to intelligence and architecture and also incomparably more wasteful in terms of money and resources than this building... and don't tell me this is because "North Korea can't afford it", it's a nonsense. Take for instance the money spent for the Freedom Tower (1 billion dollars from the State of New York in the form of bonds so far) - it could just as well be used to give a home to many of the people who are now living in tents everywhere in the USA. Why don't you go protest about that?
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #205
Trisuno

Likes (Received): 168

Am so curious to see this monster completed!
Trisuno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #206
thebobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Interesting job you made, but the lines seem to prove me right. It's just the edges and the surfaces that are ruined. I'm failing to see any misalignment of the main wall, all the windows fall in line for how long I stare at them. Maybe one is one inch off, ok.
Exactly my point. The vertical walls are fine, showing the picture has not been distorted by rescaling of the image or by a wide lens. The problem I noted is with the face of the angled wall. The angled wall clearly moves away and back from my set of straight lines over a series of floors, as the result of deficient formwork, surveying, quality assurance, or a combination of the above. I don't care where in the world it's being built; I haven't seen any other building even close to this scale where tolerances are so loose that you can spot such deviations from a photograph.
thebobo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #207
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

I think people get the idea that its bad concrete by for example looking at far left vertical wall in the picture above, where it shows massive amount of concrete on the surface's been weathered.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:29 PM   #208
sundrop74
Skyscraper Aficionado

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:

[IMG]http://i42.************/254zwja.jpg[/IMG]
SCARY! I wonder if the resurfacing that we've seen in more recent photographs could have corrected that type of problem? If not, I'd be hesitant to step foot in the building.
sundrop74 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:38 PM   #209
Dequal
Architect

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundrop74 View Post
SCARY! I wonder if the resurfacing that we've seen in more recent photographs could have corrected that type of problem? If not, I'd be hesitant to step foot in the building.
They didn't 'resurfaced' it. They are putting cladding (glass) over it, so that won't solve the problems.
Old December 30th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #210
the sock

Likes (Received): 80

i think its starting to look good.
the sock no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:08 PM   #211
GeoMartin

Are there some pictures about the construction-site of this building from 1987-1992? This would be very interesting.
GeoMartin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #212
egramsbergen

Likes (Received): 3

I actually like this building as a ruin, cladding spoils the fun a bit.
egramsbergen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #213
gayscraper

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMartin View Post
Are there some pictures about the construction-site of this building from 1987-1992? This would be very interesting.
Hey! I couldn't find some pics except one, but on this picture it is nearly finished... sorry

It is better than nothing... sorry
And I found another rendering, if we hadn't this before:

I found 1 video... maybe you havn't seen it... enjoy
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/118237...rea_pyongyang/
UHHH just found another pic, how it would look if it was finished without glass cladding:

Last edited by gayscraper; December 31st, 2008 at 12:01 AM.
gayscraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:31 PM   #214
tq
i'm a hanoian

Likes (Received): 176

I love this bldg actually. It is very distinctive.
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM   #215
tq
i'm a hanoian

Likes (Received): 176

Will this hotel be managed by an intl company like Accor, Hilton...(by any chance) ? Will it also be a five-star hotel?
Old December 31st, 2008, 11:28 PM   #216
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 3974

Maybe they're just covering it with glass just for propaganda purposes?

NK allows Orascom to operate in the country if Orascom covers that building with glass?
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:23 PM   #217
chinatown
Wanderer/ Le voyaguer/ 浪子

Likes (Received): 984

I wish they would leave it white, blend with the surroundings better (you cannot find one single glassy hi-rise in Pyongyang) lol.
chinatown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM   #218
i_like_concrete
cockney sparrow

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinatown View Post
I wish they would leave it white, blend with the surroundings better (you cannot find one single glassy hi-rise in Pyongyang) lol.
To be honest I don't think the colour will make any difference, it's a 105 storey building, it's gonna stick out like a sore thumb no matter what.
i_like_concrete no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM   #219
Pruim
shnnbp

Quote:
The angled wall clearly moves away and back from my set of straight lines over a series of floors, as the result of deficient formwork, surveying, quality assurance, or a combination of the above.
This happens with many highrises, if not all. I believe even one of the Petronas Towers is 1 meter out of line. But this doesn't have to say anything about the actual quality of the concrete.

Concrete can withstand years of punishment. Think about all the bridges, dams, dikes and all. Yes, they are being maintained but as long as water doesn't manages to reach the steel inside the concrete, all should be well.
Old January 2nd, 2009, 03:50 PM   #220
Qtya
sensational

Likes (Received): 9050

Its so strange not seeing any workers on these pics... Ore not even a truck on the others...

[IMG]http://i42.************/2ypndiq.jpg[/IMG]

II. János Pál pápa
Qtya no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel