daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #2761
gan4volta

Likes (Received): 529

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy Machine View Post
So...does anyone know if they're doing anything on the interior or this just a bandaid? Honest question. I've slightly followed this and its seems pretty clear they didnt repair the old concrete, but it also seems to lack any evidence of any interior work.
I am pretty sure inside it is empty...just empty. But I willing to give them some time to finish it
gan4volta no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #2762
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

They did repair any exterior concrete that was needed to support brackets or edges such as balconies. There is no way to find out what they did (or are doing) on the inside...
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #2763
R_jay

Likes (Received): 0

Hi, these are the latest photos of the Ryugyong Hotel, taken by myself on 1st August.

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6631712...n/photostream/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Not that many changes as far as I can tell. The North-East section remains unclad. I'm not sure why they don't cover up that section. There is some new transmission equipment, including some red and blue ball at the very top which is more apparent in the full-sized photo.

Contrary to what some people have written it is perfectly safe to visit North Korea as long as you watch your mouth. But this thread contains some fantasy making it sound like it's this pleasant, fun place. It's not.
R_jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2764
Divineator
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Well, if I ever go to North Korea, I'd only do it because I want to see this massive hotel with my own eyes.

Thank you very much for the photos, R jay, we all appreciate it.
Divineator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:16 PM   #2765
iJosh
나쁜 머슴애

Likes (Received): 160

the base remains unfinished :/ Why is that? As long as it's still left unfinished like this, we will never be allowed to go inside, that's for sure. I mean, North Korea would not let tourists to stay at an unfinished hotel, which clearly would tarnish their image of hospitality...
iJosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 05:29 PM   #2766
R_jay

IMO it'll never be finished, it'll just remain the world's most expensive transmission tower. Until North Korea liberalizes they won't have the foreign exchange to finish it off, and I don't really see any solid signs of economic progress within the past few years. It appears the deal with Orascom was just for cosmetic changes in order to make it presentable for Kim Il-Sung's 100th birthday celebrations, not to turn not into a functioning hotel. The Koryo, Yanggakdo and Potonggang are mostly empty anyway, why would their plough their precious remaining hard currency when they can use it to fund their nuclear programme, purchase weapons and buy loyalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divineator View Post
Well, if I ever go to North Korea, I'd only do it because I want to see this massive hotel with my own eyes.

Thank you very much for the photos, R jay, we all appreciate it.
I read pretty much every page of this thread over the past year, so I wanted to make a contribution when I could

Last edited by R_jay; August 13th, 2011 at 05:45 PM.
R_jay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #2767
Miguel S

Likes (Received): 658

Three things about NK and this building:

1- No matter what they say, I don't like NK. I don't want to generate ore OT, so that's all what I'm going to say about it.

2- Like every person on this forum, I don't know what's happening inside this building, or when it's going to be finished, or what it is going to be used for.

3- I won't let the two previous points blind my eyes, so I accept that this tower has a pretty amazing and impressive design, I really like it and it wold perfectly match in a plenty of places besides Pyongyang.

BTW, was it always supposed to look that way? if not, there are renders showing how it was originally supposed to look?
Miguel S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #2768
Amine.INC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Who is gonna stay in that hotel ?? Locals can't afford it, and the country welcomes not more than 1500 foreign tourist a year, what the hell ??
Amine.INC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #2769
thecityofgold

Likes (Received): 318

It's unlikely we'll ever see another building like this.

It's a 1960's vision of the future now slowly materialising in the present.

And for that, in an increasingly homogenising world, I commend it!
thecityofgold no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #2770
Delo

Likes (Received): 14

Kim il-sungs birthday and opening of this hotel next year is gonna be so massive. God, why don't I have money to go and visit?!!
Delo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 02:57 AM   #2771
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amine.INC View Post
Who is gonna stay in that hotel ?? Locals can't afford it, and the country welcomes not more than 1500 foreign tourist a year, what the hell ??
It's not a hotel. Hotels have rooms with beds that you can rent, a bar, and a restaurant, a front desk with people that can help you check in, and suggest local attractions, some even have swimming pools and vending machines on every floor in case you have a craving for Skittles! I've been in hotels in Europe that have BEER in vending machines! This building has none of those things.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:00 AM   #2772
Amine.INC
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
It's not a hotel. Hotels have rooms with beds that you can rent, a bar, and a restaurant, a front desk with people that can help you check in, and suggest local attractions, some even have swimming pools and vending machines on every floor in case you have a craving for Skittles, this building has none of those things.
Then what is it ?? I saw quite few documentaries on NK, and Pyongyang hotels are huge, but empty, they barely have 4 or 5 clients at the same time !!
Old August 14th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2773
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Then what is it ?? I saw quite few documentaries on NK, and Pyongyang hotels are huge, but empty, they barely have 4 or 5 clients at the same time !!
It's a cell tower.
HOCKEY Buffalo Bisons/Sabres est: 1940/1970
BASKETBALL Buffalo Braves->LA Clippers est: 1970
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 04:56 AM   #2774
bennyboo

Likes (Received): 71

isnt it just used for broadcasting and advertisement just to get money to finish it? i believe the main use is still a hotel
bennyboo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:06 AM   #2775
KillerFrenchFry

Quote:
Probably some of those 1500 tourists you mentioned. NK already has way more hotel rooms than actual tourists, a few more won't really change much.

Though personally I don't think they'll actually fo anything with the inside of this building. Why would they need to, it definitely isn't a stop on the official tour.
KillerFrenchFry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #2776
Amine.INC
BANNED

So basically they are finishing it just so they could have something " big " for Kim Il-sung's 100 years birthday !!!!
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM   #2777
shalom69

Quote:
So basically they are finishing it just so they could have something " big " for Kim Il-sung's 100 years birthday !!!!
They basically finished it because basically it's the first time they basically had the money and means to since the USSR collapsed in 1991. Functionally it's as needed as Manhattan's WTC since the NK could offload foreign visitors at dozens of other facilities, just like we could dump bankers across the river in NJ instead of in a huge tower at a lower cost. But like the WTF the hotel has been a stagnant (and embarrassing) propaganda priority for decades. Makes sense that people want to make a dead concrete skeleton or a gaping hole in the ground less of an eyesore when possible.

Questioning why this building is going up is about as smart as questioning why we're rebuilding WTC when we can't "afford it" considering we can't even afford our debt, maintain a first world credit rating or provide health care that a 2nd world country like Cuba can provide.

Because they want to. Disliking this building is not a political statement lol.
And yeah no renders but there are painted concepts of the Ryugyong from 25 years ago. It actually didn't look as good as it turned out in pictures completed.
shalom69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #2778
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

It seems to me that there will be more than 1500 tourists to visit NK each year. I mean every major Chinese city has several tourist agencies advertising NK travel products. Most of them promise at least one tour group per month, and NK mandates that each tour group be at least 10 people. I would guess at least two to three hundred Chinese tourists per month are visiting NK, more if you count the boarder area tour (visa free), or traders. In a news piece I read that stated that over 30,000 Chinese visited NK in 2010.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:36 PM   #2779
primus20

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel S View Post
Three things about NK and this building:

1- No matter what they say, I don't like NK. I don't want to generate ore OT, so that's all what I'm going to say about it.

2- Like every person on this forum, I don't know what's happening inside this building, or when it's going to be finished, or what it is going to be used for.

3- I won't let the two previous points blind my eyes, so I accept that this tower has a pretty amazing and impressive design, I really like it and it wold perfectly match in a plenty of places besides Pyongyang.

BTW, was it always supposed to look that way? if not, there are renders showing how it was originally supposed to look?
for me nk is the hell on earth. i could live in haiti or somalia but not in this country. but this building is really really beautiful. i hope they can fill it.

I ♥ NY
primus20 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #2780
600West218

Likes (Received): 1574

have there been any interior shots of it yet? Do we know what they are doing in terms of building out the inside?
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel