daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2011, 04:33 AM   #2981
KillerFrenchFry

Likes (Received): 0

I wouldn't be surprised if people in NK actually thought it was...
KillerFrenchFry no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #2982
Harryx5
Harry

Likes (Received): 10935

With the restriction so get information from the outside world they sure might think it is the world highest skyscraper. Who Knows? But sure is one of the most beautiful.
Harryx5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #2983
seattle95

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Why do you love NK? What do you think they would do to someone flying a rainbow flag off the balcony of their apartment?
Yeah exactly they would probably go missing and the flag burned. Also that building is the ONLY reason anyone would go to north korea if they even let people. I wouldn't put it past Kim jong il to build something beautiful for no purpose.
seattle95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #2984
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

This tower is the biggest illusion ever, sure it looks presentable on the outside, but we all know the inside is a decaying crap hole. It's been exposed to the elements for almost 2 decades, this building takes more than new cladding to fix.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #2985
Igor Antunov
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
This tower is the biggest illusion ever, sure it looks presentable on the outside, but we all know the inside is a decaying crap hole. It's been exposed to the elements for almost 2 decades, this building takes more than new cladding to fix.
There was nothing to fix, it just had to be completed. You need to brush up on the properties of reinforced concrete. Enjoy waiting for concrete to decay, they build dams out of concrete. The empire state building still stands after 80 years and will continue to do so for a long time.
Igor Antunov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #2986
Wile E. Coyote
Super Genius

Likes (Received): 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle95 View Post
Also that building is the ONLY reason anyone would go to north korea if they even let people.
AFAIK there are tourist visits to NK.
and tanjir pasulja pun!
Wile E. Coyote no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #2987
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21034

I also don't like the tower for political reasons and wish it the worst in terms of commercial failure, bad image etc., but to argue the tower is "rotten and about to collapse" because of the time it remained idle is non-sense.

As others wrote, reinforced concrete is very resistant. Just look at structures like the Hoover Dam: immense pressure 24/7/365, standing firm and unscratched.

Highcliff liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #2988
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8231

i hope at one point korea is united and open for people and this building will stand for the past, but serve space as a hotel for all different kinds of people.

KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2989
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Reinforced concrete is very good, if properly constructed and MAINTAINED. IF water gets to the rebar inside the concrete, you are in big trouble. There is no stopping the rust once it starts. you must cut and chip away the entire problem area and fix it right.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...47D203&first=0

We may never know if Orascom just covered up the bad patches that were obvious in earlier pictures, or did it right. Regardless, the base structure is robust enough so the building must be stable. They can cover up the ugly inside bits, just like they did the outside.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #2990
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Antunov View Post
There was nothing to fix, it just had to be completed. You need to brush up on the properties of reinforced concrete. Enjoy waiting for concrete to decay, they build dams out of concrete. The empire state building still stands after 80 years and will continue to do so for a long time.
+1
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #2991
chaiko
RISK MANAGEMENT

Likes (Received): 151

ITS JUST AN ILLUSION. Outside very nice and all, but I bet in the inside will be maybe empty or not even complete (or leave it as it is now....just concrete). It has been done in the past, it will happen again!
NK claim to have a ""subway"" with different lines and all that, but reality is that only 1 station is allowed by tourist to see (with govt personnel). Every other station either doesn't work or are just so bad maintained/shitty that it's not even worth to look at.
[170 Aos]
||||||||||||| ||||||||||||
chaiko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #2992
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

Screenshots or shut up.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:46 AM   #2993
Saigoneseguy
Vivat capitalismus

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiko View Post
ITS JUST AN ILLUSION. Outside very nice and all, but I bet in the inside will be maybe empty or not even complete (or leave it as it is now....just concrete). It has been done in the past, it will happen again!
NK claim to have a ""subway"" with different lines and all that, but reality is that only 1 station is allowed by tourist to see (with govt personnel). Every other station either doesn't work or are just so bad maintained/shitty that it's not even worth to look at.
What a clown. When was the last time you visited Pyongyang?
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:02 AM   #2994
chaiko
RISK MANAGEMENT

Likes (Received): 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Screenshots or shut up.
I challenge you to find how the system works in North Korea which makes it the biggest jail in the globe. Look up Kijŏng-dong; an empty city (its really just a village) created near South Korea to indicate that their "socio-economical system was better".

"The village features a number of brightly painted, poured-concrete multi-story buildings and apartments, many apparently wired for electricity these amenities represent an unheard-of level of luxury for any rural Korean in the 1950s, north or south. The town was oriented so that the bright blue roofs and white sides of the buildings next to the massive DPRK flag would be the most distinguishing features when viewed from across the border. Scrutiny with modern telescopic lenses, however, reveals that the buildings are mere concrete shells lacking window glass or even interior rooms, with building lights turned on and off at set times and empty sidewalks swept by a skeleton crew of caretakers in an effort to preserve the illusion of activity."

Its just a complete joke of a country, with brainwashed people. IMO it would be a great skyscraper, but sadly it will be empty.
IF SOMEONE BRINGS PICS OF THE INSIDES (not just a certain part allowed for tourists by the govt) I WILL SWALLOW MY WORDS!
[170 Aos]
chaiko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM   #2995
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malm | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 717

I'm sure the moderators will take care of this troll.

staff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2996
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 910

Who's a troll here? chaiko is absolutely right. So far all we know that it's a decades old construction site and that recently cladding was finished. There is no indication whatsoever that there is actually something inside this tower.

People from my uni just have been in NK this summer and they say it's mostly like a ghost city. Just look at the pictures! Many many buildings in Pyongyang are empty, streets are empty, stores are empty. Why would it be different with this tower?

So please show us some close-up pictures, show us something from the inside.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 04:44 PM   #2997
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

This is getting borderline annoying. The fact is that except for anecdotes, almost no one who isn't a North Korean elite has any substantial information about North Korea; the same should be said for Orascom and this tower. We're unfortunately limited in the extent to which we can make legitimate criticism of this building to its design and what we can observe of its construction.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:05 PM   #2998
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

[IMG]http://i53.************/zy6j5k.jpg[/IMG]
by Jan Honomichl[/QUOTE]

A perfectly normal city: people cycling about, well tended parks, there is nothing ghastly to be seen about the place.
And a truly futuristic skyscraper finally approaching completion!
What's wrong with all this?
So I tell you: why believe the malicious Cold War inspired propaganda when the plain reality -as depicted by the casual photographer-
seems to contradict the ill founded rumours about the inevitable demise of the DPRK? That is not to say that the DPRK is a paradise but it ain't the hellhole the gullible victims of the neocon propaganda believe it is either.

CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 05:18 PM   #2999
Densetsu
Non-registered User!

Likes (Received): 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiko View Post
Its just a complete joke of a country, with brainwashed people.
Do you really think people are brainwashed there? They are enslave by the government, no self-conscious person would prefer that kind of lifestyle.

Don't put judgments on poor people, judge their government instead.
Densetsu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2011, 06:11 PM   #3000
mindgoessnap

Likes (Received): 43

Quote:
A perfectly normal city: people cycling about, well tended parks, there is nothing ghastly to be seen about the place.
And a truly futuristic skyscraper finally approaching completion!
What's wrong with all this?
So I tell you: why believe the malicious Cold War inspired propaganda when the plain reality -as depicted by the casual photographer-
seems to contradict the ill founded rumours about the inevitable demise of the DPRK? That is not to say that the DPRK is a paradise but it ain't the hellhole the gullible victims of the neocon propaganda believe it is either.
The problem is that Pyongyang is pretty much the only city in the whole country that looks like this. Ever seen satellite photos of the north compared with the south at nighttime? It is literally like night and day. Pyongyang is a tiny spot of light and the rest of the country is virtually blacked out.

I love this hotel, but the fact remains that it is centered in one of the most repressive countries in the world. Nobody needs propaganda to know that.
mindgoessnap no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel