daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 5th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #3041
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 162

These pictures looks so lovely! Good job!
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #3042
IngMarco

Likes (Received): 2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
More than anything (including ethnic differences) the reason South Koreans may be so pale is that they still consider fair skin to be aesthetically pleasing, the exact opposite of the trend in the western world today, where fair skin is associated with ill-health -- you have to be tanned. I know for a fact that China has a huge market for skin whitening creams; it's quite frightening. :P Perhaps the same is true for South Korea.
I also wonder if the proportion of farmers in North Korea is substantially greater than in the South. And as you know, manual outdoor labour will eventually give you a tan, hence the traditional stigma associated to it.
That would explain why so many south koreans were nice but "distant" to me , or maybe it was that face of the hermetic behavior sometimes asians show.

Well is good to know that.
IngMarco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #3043
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8605

06 November 2011

[IMG]http://i41.************/2hprbzq.jpg[/IMG]
by dutchct

[IMG]http://i42.************/wlzxhs.jpg[/IMG]
by dutchct
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #3044
vincenand

Likes (Received): 166

Quote:
North Korea Pushing Forward with the Project of Constructing 100,000 Housing Units in Pyongyang
In order to celebrate Kim Il Sung’s centennial birthday next year on April 15, 2012, the plan to build 100,000 private homes in Pyongyang is quickly underway. North Korea has announced its intension to upgrade Pyongyang into a city with over 100,000 homes. Pyongyang’s district of Mansudae is to build over one thousand units of high-rise apartments (77 stories), theaters, parks and other recreational facilities.

The KCNA reported on October 11, “For the next Day of the Sun, Pyongyang will be completely transformed.” The news added, “The construction of private homes has been in progress for five months and is at 70 percent completion. Mansudae District is rapidly changing with skyscrapers and high-rise apartments appearing throughout the city. Construction of theaters and service facilities are also in development.”

Facing Mansudae is Dongpyongyang District, another area in Pyongyang under enhancement and has secured over 17,400 square meters of land for multi-purpose service facilities and 9,660 square meters for a public outdoor ice rink. The KCNA elaborated, “The multi-purpose facilities encompass bathhouses, beauty salons, and other latest facilities of convenience. In the public outdoor ice rink, circular ice rink, bleachers and cultural recreational facilities will be built to provide necessary environment for people to enjoy various ice sports.”

Rungrado Recreation Ground is also reported to be rejuvenated with a variety of amusement rides and multipurpose water park. The water park will be equipped with wave pools, waterslides, and health pools.

In addition, Pyongyang is focusing on gardening and exterior beautification projects for private homes and public buildings, including installation of colorful tiles and paints as well as bright neon signs in the streets.

“The Development Project of 100,000 Housing Units in Pyongyang” went into effect since 2009 but talks of reducing the project to 20,000 homes surfaced when it was faced with funding difficulties. However, the original plan of building 100,000 homes has not faltered and appears to be in full swing.

Early this year on January 3, a public rally was held at the Kim Il Sung Square with over 100,000 people present. At that time, the homebuilding project of Pyongyang was announced in which “Pyongyang City will be equipped to enter the era of strong and prosperous nation in all sectors.”

In July 2008, the General Bureau of Capital Construction began a large-scale redevelopment project. Completed a year later on September 2009, 600 old homes mostly built in the 1960s were demolished and in their place an apartment complex with over 800 homes went up. This project received undivided attention from Kim Jong Il, Chang Sung-Thaek, administrative director of the Worker’s Party of Korea, among many other top officials of North Korea.

For North Korea, “The Development Project of 100,000 Housing Units in Pyongyang” has become a symbol of building a strong and prosperous nation.
http://ifes.kyungnam.ac.kr/eng/FRM/F...FRM111103_0001
vincenand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #3045
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2749

At 77 stories it has to be at least 200m tall. Too bad there isn't enough info to make a seperate thread for this project.
droneriot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #3046
vincenand

Likes (Received): 166

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_erica/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
vincenand no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #3047
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 511

rush hour in Pyongyang?
Old November 10th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #3048
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
It's interesting to see how dark-skinned many of the people are here. Whenever I think of Koreans, I always think of all the pale people (particularly girls and women) I saw in the South when I went there this past summer.
South Koreans spent too much time indoors playing Starcraft 2.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #3049
Dr. Mike
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

This building was completed solely for propaganda reasons. I traveled to NK last year and we were the only people staying in our 15 story hotel. I can't imagine this building ever being filled with guests.
Dr. Mike no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #3050
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZoolooMaster View Post
More than anything (including ethnic differences) the reason South Koreans may be so pale is that they still consider fair skin to be aesthetically pleasing, the exact opposite of the trend in the western world today, where fair skin is associated with ill-health -- you have to be tanned. I know for a fact that China has a huge market for skin whitening creams; it's quite frightening. :P Perhaps the same is true for South Korea.
I also wonder if the proportion of farmers in North Korea is substantially greater than in the South. And as you know, manual outdoor labour will eventually give you a tan, hence the traditional stigma associated to it.
Yes, skin bleaching products are popular as ever in South Korea, and seeing women with umbrellas on bright, sunny days was very common. Never mind all the 아줌마 with their visors and fleece (on 30+ degree days!!) And you're probably right about the farmers. The more desperate a country's situation is, the more farmers they tend to have.

Sidenote: The way the Ryugyong Hotel dominates Pyongyang is simply awesome. But I do find it ironic that the most active Korean thread of any kind here on SSC is about North Korea. 한국사람들이 어디에써??

Last edited by aquaticko; November 10th, 2011 at 07:26 PM.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #3051
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
rush hour in Pyongyang?
No, these days the traffic in Pyongyang can be pretty busy. The number of cars on the road (as seen in visitors' photos, at least) has gone up a lot over the past few years.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3052
fjordbjord

any ideas what is in the circular part at the top of the building?
fjordbjord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #3053
fjordbjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mike View Post
This building was completed solely for propaganda reasons. I traveled to NK last year and we were the only people staying in our 15 story hotel. I can't imagine this building ever being filled with guests.
how does that influence price? are things there really inexpensive because its all just for show, or extra pricey because the country is rather lacking on the tourism front?
fjordbjord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #3054
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjordbjord View Post
any ideas what is in the circular part at the top of the building?

It is supposed to be restaurants (rotating) and communications equipment. For all we know it could be a giant water tank to flush all the toilets in Pyongyang...
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #3055
Goddess

Likes (Received): 16

mad architecture
Old November 10th, 2011, 07:04 PM   #3056
party_animals

Likes (Received): 149

Quote:
Yes, skin bleaching products are popular as ever in South Korea, and seeing women with umbrellas on bright, sunny days was very common. Never mind all the 아줌마 with their visors and fleece (on 30+ degree days!!) And you're probably right about the farmers. The more desperate a country's situation is, the more farmers they tend to have.

Sidenote: The way the Ryugyong Hotel dominates Pyongyang is simply awesome. But I do find it ironic that the most active Korean thread of any kind here on SSC is about North Korea. 한국사람들 어디에써??
it's quite common here in Asia (East and Southeast though) to see ppl holding umbrella to protect themselves from the sun. Westerners love to be tan, we love to be white....

"Bangkok has them now..." (The Hangover II)
party_animals no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM   #3057
Sramaya

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
South Koreans spent too much time indoors playing Starcraft 2.
Sramaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3058
JLAG

Likes (Received): 507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
No, these days the traffic in Pyongyang can be pretty busy. The number of cars on the road (as seen in visitors' photos, at least) has gone up a lot over the past few years.
So there are 6 cars and 2 busses now? That is a staggering 100% increase.
Sometimes I just want to visit N Korea to see for myself how sick things can get when it gets really wrong.
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #3059
Ewan117

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:

Sidenote: The way the Ryugyong Hotel dominates Pyongyang is simply awesome. But I do find it ironic that the most active Korean thread of any kind here on SSC is about North Korea. 한국사람들이 어디에써??
If you rank the supertalls by the number of views, im sure this one is in the top 10. Makes sense though, because there are just so many people that can't resist themselves from trolling this thread.

By the looks of it, this city is screaming out for investments and a revamp. Put a few more supertalls in this area along with new buildings in general, and you have got Beijing/Shanghai cross breed city. Pretty awesome I would say
Ewan117 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #3060
HappilyINSANE
HappilyINSANE

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan117 View Post
If you rank the supertalls by the number of views, im sure this one is in the top 10. Makes sense though, because there are just so many people that can't resist themselves from trolling this thread.

By the looks of it, this city is screaming out for investments and a revamp. Put a few more supertalls in this area along with new buildings in general, and you have got Beijing/Shanghai cross breed city. Pretty awesome I would say
North Korea needs regime change and the poor fed not more supertalls!!
HappilyINSANE no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel