daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 02:40 PM   #3081
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
I see graffiti, scratched into the window glass of the subway cars.
I wonder what the punishment is when caught?
The trains in those photos were bought secondhand from Berlin (BVG type D), so the grafitti is probably also secondhand.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #3082
mayoor_bayan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

The Great tower-building!
mayoor_bayan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:45 PM   #3083
tupperware
experto en cosas

Likes (Received): 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gag Halfrunt View Post
The trains in those photos were bought secondhand from Berlin (BVG type D), so the grafitti is probably also secondhand.
or the northkorean can write in german
tupperware no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #3084
Copperknickers

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post
Well, not very different to London then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shyKphFLy-o
Have you actually watched that video? It says it is perfectly legal to take photographs in the UK except military installations and vulnerable transport hubs, the officers were community support and had made a mistake.

In North Korea however you are accompanied everywhere and not allowed to film or take pictures of anywhere the state has not specifically designed for tourism purposes. Watch any documentary you like: you're not even allowed to show a poster of Kim Il Sung in a photo as a background because its considered disrespectful.
Copperknickers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:08 PM   #3085
vandemolengraaf

I dit not know there is a disneyland in Korea. I see spacemountain on the left here

image hosted on flickr
vandemolengraaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:12 PM   #3086
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperknickers View Post
Have you actually watched that video? It says it is perfectly legal to take photographs in the UK except military installations and vulnerable transport hubs, the officers were community support and had made a mistake.

In North Korea however you are accompanied everywhere and not allowed to film or take pictures of anywhere the state has not specifically designed for tourism purposes. Watch any documentary you like: you're not even allowed to show a poster of Kim Il Sung in a photo as a background because its considered disrespectful.
It may be not illegal to take photos in most parts of London but I have been many times approached by security officers of various buildings in the City of London (also, right near to the City Hall itself!) who said that I may not take photos there unless I have a permit. I contacted the City of Lodnon administration and they replied that the "permit" costs several hundred Ł... WTF??? London does have a problem with photography and it pisses me off because taking photos is what I enjoy more than anything else. Never had such problems, for instance, in China which is "known" for having a thing for being "in control".
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #3087
fjordbjord

Likes (Received): 1

For a while they made it illegal to photograph the Bean (Cloud Gate sculpture) in Chicago's Millenium Park, claiming it was copyright infringement on the artist's work... yeah, that did last long.
fjordbjord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 02:08 PM   #3088
CompayEE
CompayEE

Likes (Received): 29

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...113_99308.html

11-22-2011

Brand new apartments, theaters and parks are popping up as has, apparently, a new department store hawking Chanel and Armani. Sidewalks are bustling with activity and, at last, the final touches are being applied to the exterior of a massive showpiece hotel.

This is clearly not the Pyongyang of old.

The North Korean capital is reportedly buzzing with activity as it undergoes a facelift ahead of the 100th anniversary in April of the birth of founder Kim Il-Sung, a milestone date when the Stalinist regime has promised to emerge as a "strong and prosperous nation.”

In line with the upgrades, living conditions for those in city appear to be improving ― on the surface at least ― observers say. What it means for the country as a whole, however, as it battles food shortages and hands power over to a young heir, remains up in the air.

“There’s construction everywhere,” said Bernhard Seliger, resident representative of the Seoul-based Hanns-Seidel-Foundation Korea who frequents the North for engagement projects. “You can see dust hanging over the city from all the construction.”

The efforts, according to reports, are bearing fruit in the form of semi-high-rise apartment complexes featuring 3,000 units in the Mansudae district, complete with cultural amenities and upgraded street lights and signs. A water park that can accommodate 4,000 fun-seekers was said to have opened this summer.

New public buildings, too, are going up and old ones being refurbished.

Then there’s the 105-story pyramid known as the Ryugyong Hotel which has seen stop-and-go construction since 1987. In time for the celebrations next year, recent visitors say its exterior looks markedly improved. It is expected to hold offices as well as accommodation.

Confirming reports that students have been mobilized for the renovations, Seliger said he saw large groups of them marching and singing along the Taedong River that runs through the city on their way to sites.

Reports also said that North Korean leader Kim Jong-il ordered his staff to prioritize the supply of drinking water, heating and electricity in Pyongyang, though some visitors have said the city remains relatively dark and quiet at night due to an apparent lack of power.

The makeover coincides with lifestyle changes among Pyongyang residents marked most distinctly by rapidly-increasing use of cell phones after the regime introduced a 3G network in 2008. Visitors also note an increase in imported cars and technology, Western-style restaurants and fashionable clothes as signs of modernization.

“There’s a lot going on,” said John Delury, an assistant professor of international studies at Yonsei University who has made multiple visits to Pyongyang, most recently in September. “Not everyone is wearing the same thing. Especially among women you can see more variety. There’s a clearer socioeconomic differentiation.”

But the renovations have prompted some skepticism from South Korean media, which said the improvements were the regime’s attempt to bolster allegiance among the country’s elite, who are concentrated in the city. Analysts suggest such consolidation is particularly important as Kim appears to accelerate the succession process of his youngest son, Jong-un.

“There is significance in linking the anniversary and the legitimacy of the regime with delivering on the promise of improving living conditions and convincing people their lives are getting better,” Delury said.

But the question looms: Will the improvements succeed in creating the aura of a strong state at a time when the government has asked for international aid and the United Nations says a quarter of the population needs food?

It remains a topic of debate here. Defector groups who report on the North have said that skepticism among citizens over the “strong and prosperous state.” Others who have visited the capital say the situation feels stable and point out that the North has managed to survive despite decades of predictions of instability.

Seliger said more time was needed to assess what lasting impact the changes would have on the country as a whole. For one, he said, it seemed clear that the people in the countryside were poorer and that those in the capital were getting preferential access to resources. Others have wondered how the regime was paying for the changes amid ongoing sanctions, with some speculating whether China, the North’s ally, was helping to foot the bill.

“Or is it just a redistribution of resources from the countryside? If so, it should not be confused with sustainable growth,” Seliger said.

[email protected]
CompayEE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3089
Majevčan
Српски Форум

Likes (Received): 881

image hosted on flickr

That hotel is somehow and I must say Pyongyang looks quite good on that pic aswell, at least the facades are in good shape. Overall much better than expected

Last edited by Majevčan; November 26th, 2011 at 12:31 AM.
Majevčan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #3090
matchboxND

Likes (Received): 1

I will be very interested to see interior photos of this building when it is open in April 2012.

Thanks to everyone for posting photos.
matchboxND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:14 AM   #3091
DELIRIOUS & ZEN
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

great!
DELIRIOUS & ZEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2011, 09:20 AM   #3092
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Did they plate the last strip yet?
Old November 30th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #3093
friendsofthecity

Likes (Received): 690

That's an interesting building. It looks like a squatted giant in that location.
friendsofthecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3094
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8510

23 November 2011
[IMG]http://i42.************/1214tnb.jpg[/IMG]
by moreska
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #3095
kaxno
railfan

Likes (Received): 424

I am curious, if this will affect the progress on the building: http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7BI05B20111219
kaxno no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #3096
jerseyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 519

its been announced today its to become a mausoleum now and not a hotel from NK news agency.

Last edited by jerseyboi; December 19th, 2011 at 03:58 PM.
jerseyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #3097
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Let's not start another off-topic discussion here, as tempting as it may be.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #3098
zaguric2
Hrvatsko Zagorje

Likes (Received): 137

Great!
zaguric2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #3099
kingyeddi

I think its very interesing building. I too would love to see some non staged shots from all angles plus interior pics.

I was looking at the NK special that Wolf Blitzer did on CNN lastnite whilst the KJI madness, I noticed he didnt even mention the building, even when there were 'inspecting the sky line' from top of "tallest monument" and I could just pick the pyramid out.. Looked pretty staged sadly.

Looks like a real ghost town. Like a big movie set. Hopefully they will open NK with the regime change

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompayEE View Post
NKorea does not strike me as a repressive, punitive country despite its undeserved bad reputation...
Does the NK govt pay weekly or bi-weekly ;-)
kingyeddi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #3100
TheZoolooMaster

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Let's not start another off-topic discussion here, as tempting as it may be.
It's very much on topic to discuss Kim's death. This could have huge repercussions, whether on the political stability of the country or directly, as some people have intimated, on the building itself. If North Korea descends into chaos following this death, you can be sure that the "hotel" will not open for a while.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel