daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old December 29th, 2011, 12:53 AM   #3161
Blizzy
Perfect Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 1,263
Likes (Received): 89

You might want to check out what great quality their prefab blocks are in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuzuJ...layer_embedded
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #3162
bgdrewsif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 65
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I just looked closer to these tower constructions pictures from the link above here... These towers under construction have many cracks and it doesn't look safe to live in at all. I feel bad for these North Koreans that have to live in these towers when it completes.
Agree 100%... The work looks very shoddy and haphazard... Do any of these construction workers have any actual construction education? Do they have structural engineers or inspectors? The Ryugyong had major structural issues with the concrete that required outside intervention after a decade of sitting incomplete to resolve that project and these buildings do NOT look safe at all...
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 02:56 AM   #3163
testdrive
Registered User
 
testdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: North Bend
Posts: 3,478
Likes (Received): 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzy View Post
You might want to check out what great quality their prefab blocks are in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuzuJ...layer_embedded
It is hard to comprehend even after looking at it how people still think and behave that way. Even understanding the psychology of it all when you see it it just is hard to identify with it in any way
testdrive no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #3164
bgdrewsif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 65
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdrive View Post
It is hard to comprehend even after looking at it how people still think and behave that way. Even understanding the psychology of it all when you see it it just is hard to identify with it in any way
It is brainwashing at it's finest.... I doubt that there has ever been any society in history (on a national level, religious sect/cults don't count) that has been so completely brainwashed... Germany under Hitler does not even come close to North Korea's level of insanity... I don't think anyone in Germany actually believed that Hitler's moods caused the weather...

I have been watching a lot of North Korea videos on youtube lately and the sheer absurd insanity of what goes on there completely defies any rational or logical explanation...

Just watching the videos of all the people "crying" over their 'dear leaders' death is ridiculous... I have yet to see one image where anyone has any tears coming from their eyes, but they all keep pushing and shoving over each other to scream, flail their arms, throw themselves onto the ground, and perform other wholly absurd and obviously fake displays of remorse... I have seen better acting from the first grade kids at my school in their elementary plays on the cafeteria stage at 10am on a Tuesday... Does the North Korean government actually believe that anyone outside of North Korea would believe that footage for even one second? Anyone? Anywhere? Do they have any concept of how pathetic and ridiculous this funeral display they have been broadcasting for the world's enjoyment makes all of them look?
bgdrewsif no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM   #3165
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

Actually after watching the video I have to see some of those building may be built better than several 1990s high rise apartment blocks I've seen in China. I still have more faith in North Korean construction worker than many shoddy contractors in China.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #3166
Blizzy
Perfect Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 1,263
Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
Actually after watching the video I have to see some of those building may be built better than several 1990s high rise apartment blocks I've seen in China. I still have more faith in North Korean construction worker than many shoddy contractors in China.
Then you should look more closely at how old and crumbling that beam they are putting in place looks like, because you obviously missed it.
Blizzy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 04:30 AM   #3167
600West218
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,733
Likes (Received): 1574

Wow, the building they are throwing up are pretty massive. They are definitely going to have an impressive skyline.

As to the people here talking about shoddy construction, I think they have no idea what they are talking about. The structure for this hotel is already more than 20 years old. If it was so poorly made why is it still standing intact?

What I am seeing in those pictures is just typical construction.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3168
Maggern2k
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 100
Likes (Received): 14

I visited DPRK myself this summer (must have been one of the last bunch of visitors to visit the country before Kim Jong Il's death).

As mentioned, these buildings, along with large infrastructure projects, lined the river and where quite comprehensive. It's all part of the celebration this year. I think the guides mentioned the goal had been to provide living space for up to 200 000 people throughout the country, with much of it focused on Pyongyang.

And those of you who haven't been there, stop pretending to know -anything- about how that country works. You'd be surprised.

PS: Some of the concrete of the hotel might have been damaged by sitting in the open for a decade, but I'm sure that they were able to patch that up once construction resumed.

PPS: Koryo Tours is British and handles most of the tourism to the DPRK.

Last edited by Maggern2k; January 1st, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Maggern2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3169
HenriqueHHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboi View Post
How was this picture taken? and posted? not any internet access in NK. The population can not access the world wide web. ( not allowed )

is it from a media publication?
This picture seens to be taken at the Yanggakdo Hotel. Looks like that a tourist did.
HenriqueHHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 02:35 PM   #3170
HenriqueHHD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 15
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
are they allowed to leave ?..............must be a terrible place to live, but then people don't know what they are missing hey ?
There are many places telling the stories about "turism in NK", it become increased since 2008. On youtube, tripadvisor and many other blogs you can see pictures, videos and other stuff. There many brazilians from here that go there to discover the "new country", the huge majority of them takes the german office of Koryo Tours to go there.
HenriqueHHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 05:03 PM   #3171
Talbot
3rd Coast
 
Talbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,123
Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Wow, the building they are throwing up are pretty massive. They are definitely going to have an impressive skyline.

As to the people here talking about shoddy construction, I think they have no idea what they are talking about. The structure for this hotel is already more than 20 years old. If it was so poorly made why is it still standing intact?

What I am seeing in those pictures is just typical construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggern2k View Post
I visited DPRK myself this summer (must have been one of the last bunch of visitors to visit the country before Kim Jong Il's death).

As mentioned, these buildings, along with large infrastructure projects, lined the river and where quite comprehensive. It's all part of the celebration this year. I think the guides mentioned the goal had been to provide living space for up to 200 000 people throughout the country, with much of it focused on Pyongyang.

And those of you who haven't been there, stop pretending to know -anything- about how that country works. You'd be surprised.

PS: Some of the concrete of the hotel might have been damaged by sitting in the open for a decade, but I'm sure that they were able to patch that up once construction resumed.

PPS: Koryo Tours is British and handles most of the tourism to the DPRK.

After seeing these two posts and some others on this thread, I question if North Korean officials have infiltrated this website just to talk good things about this tower in all aspects.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3172
Scrapernab2
Registered User
 
Scrapernab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 898
Likes (Received): 99

Those of us who have not been there should pretend we know that anyone who visits is led around by an official...

SO, to know anything about how the country works, you would have to wander BY YOURSELF, SPEAK TO THE PEOPLE, and spend a lot of time doing that, not just a one or two week visit.

Oh yeah, and go inside the Ryugyong hotel and see for ourselves what the structure looks like.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; January 3rd, 2012 at 09:23 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #3173
Сталин
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,779
Likes (Received): 1116

As long as the buildings are standing, and people have not yet died from this, its all good. I mean really... Have you ever heard that one of those cracks have actualy killed someone? I think not. And the cracks will get patched up, they wont stay bare like that when completed.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 09:24 PM   #3174
Scrapernab2
Registered User
 
Scrapernab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 898
Likes (Received): 99

That's a good point (whatever your name is, my keyboard does not have those symbols! lol) Name a concrete building that has collapsed...
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3175
Swiddle
Registered User
 
Swiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 912
Likes (Received): 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
That's a good point (whatever your name is, my keyboard does not have those symbols! lol) Name a concrete building that has collapsed...
Here's one. Oddly, I just recently watched a TV show (Seconds from Disaster) about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoon...Store_collapse

Of course many, many buildings (concrete or otherwise) have collapsed around the world in earthquakes. I don't know how seismically active Pyongyang is, though.

As for Сталин's name, I don't have those symbols either, but I have copy and paste.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #3176
Сталин
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,779
Likes (Received): 1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiddle View Post
Here's one. Oddly, I just recently watched a TV show (Seconds from Disaster) about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoon...Store_collapse

Of course many, many buildings (concrete or otherwise) have collapsed around the world in earthquakes. I don't know how seismically active Pyongyang is, though.

As for Сталин's name, I don't have those symbols either, but I have copy and paste.

I've never heard about Pyongyang having earthquakes, or any storms that can cause its collapse. Building apartments that can withstand earthquakes in such an unactive area is just wasting money that the country needs. I don't see any other reason to why they would collapse because of patched up cracks in the concrete, as I say they are safe, economic, and will last a long time.
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #3177
Swiddle
Registered User
 
Swiddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 912
Likes (Received): 298

I did a little searching online, and you're right, it's an inactive region (at least in modern times). This document has much information on the historic seismic activity of the Korean peninsula, for anyone interested.

It would be interesting to know how strong of an earthquake Ryugyong could withstand. If anyone has tried to come up with a sound estimate, I doubt we'd ever be privy to it.
Swiddle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #3178
charles54
ARCHITECT
 
charles54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,505
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
Why is that a problem? As long as the structural slabs are strong that is fine.

I see new concrete buildings in NYC that are built the same way and we never seem to have a problem.
which part of the tower is that ?
charles54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:01 PM   #3179
isdmd10
Registered User
 
isdmd10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 132
Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
image hosted on flickr

Looks like they've decided to put concrete bricks in place of the windows/balconies. Someone along the way realized that the quickest way out of N Korea is at 9.8m/s^2.
Lol

Sad but true.
isdmd10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3180
vandemolengraaf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 32
Likes (Received): 0

Here a nice video of how the hotel looks from te street. very strange

http://www.zideo.nl/player/?playzide...d313170&zideo=
vandemolengraaf no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium