daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 9th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #301
MasonicStage™
Super Moderator

wow, I really had no idea this is U/C again!
It looks stunning with this glass.

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #302
SpaceScraper
SpaceScraper

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk View Post
That won't stop the tower existing....why not document it?

Also if it hasn't been said I'm going to say it now.

Its a North Korean company who want to start a mobile phone network in the country, and the government have said they can as long as they re-clad this building.

So that's what theyre doing...the inside will not be fitted out at all and the tower will not be used for anything.
The North Korean government could have sold the licenses to the Egyptian (not N. Korean) phone company for cash and used the cash to fix real problems, not cosmetic problems. Instead, in September 2008, a senior North Korean official said the refurbishing of the Ryugyong Hotel will be done by 2012 - the 100th anniversary of the birth of Kim Il Sung. Nice!

The Ryugyong "Hotel" is a concrete pile of dubious structural integrity whose main function is propoganda for a truly dispicable government. So, if we are going to document this building, let's document exactly why it's being re-built.

Ryugyong Hotel will soon be the perfect symbol of North Korea. Pretty on the outside, but really ugly on the inside.

Just to keep things on topic, here's an interesting factoid: when N. Korea should have been improving agricultural infrastructure to avoid a massive famine, it was spending 2% of its GDP on this building until it ran out of funds.
SpaceScraper no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #303
stevesteve

Likes (Received): 1

Personally I don't like the glassfacade. The robuust concretes fits excellent to a city like Pyongyang, better, to north korea in general. Now it's more a landmark then it will be with glass. The building will never be used. For the few tourist and businessmen there are plenty of other hotels in Pyongyang. It's wast of money.

Does anybody know, what is done to improve the quality of the concretestructure, because in earlier pictures you could see the quality of the concrete was very poor?

Next year I will visit North Korea, so will take some pictures, as far as its possible of course....
stevesteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #304
ausie
BANNED

Likes (Received): 28

great addition to the skyline when cladded rather than an empty concrete shell dominating the skyline
also have they added more scaffolding to the top? it looks pointier
ausie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #305
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15902

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicform View Post
which is why i have reopened this thread. anyone who trolls it with political nonsense will be banned. no second chances i have better things to do with my life than take out the rubbish.
Only 24 hours and the thread ruined again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceScraper View Post
Hundreds of thousands of North Korean people have died of famine while monuments to vanity like this one were built. Maybe out of respect, this thread should be deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei Jie View Post
Millions of Americans rely on food stamps each year....and that number is growing whilst bankers and CEO's CONTINUE to take multi-million dollar bonus pay-outs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainiac View Post
There's absolutely no comparison between the quality of life in the U.S. and that of North Korea.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #306
leml
Minor Captain

Likes (Received): 1

How many rooms are here? And are they should improvize their airline before this will be opened for tourists. IMO.

Strict ang parents ko.

AZ EN.
leml no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #307
Monkey9000
£€$$ is more

Likes (Received): 338

When originally envisaged I believe the tower was for North Koreans to take a holiday, ths is why it is so large. It is not intended for foreign visitors, which in the first place the country does not recieve/permit many of. So in this regard is not overscaled as many people have said.
Monkey9000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #308
Darkjc86

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
image hosted on flickr
PYONGYANG or CITY 17? What a country!
Darkjc86 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #309
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

This tower should have pic of the leader somewhere on the surface of the tower for sure. This is essesce for anything great in NK. Probaly size of Emaar poster on BD lower down the tower.

독일의 막가파 두목이름은? 칼막 휘둘러
일본에서 가장 유명한 구두쇠 수도국장 이름은? 무라까와 쓰지마
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #310
TXSkyWatcher

Likes (Received): 42

For those who say it will never be used....what's your source on that info? I'm just curious if you have actually seen this in print somewhere or if that's your opinion.

I was surprised to see construction resumed on this one, but I'd love to see it finished and opened. I'd say it's a monumental waste of time and materials to clad a building that will never be used.
TXSkyWatcher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #311
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Only 24 hours and the thread ruined again...
Sad but true. Especially annoying considering there could be a lot of interesting discussions about this unique building. But, alas, people prefer to be agitators for whatever ideology they believe in and screw up a thread ABOUT A BUILDING just to get their propaganda out. So, in my humble opinion, if I was a mod this thread would be re-locked. People don't learn.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #312
Msradell
Always looking up

Likes (Received): 209

I wish we had more pictures to show what kind of construction work going on around the base of the structure. That would probably give us a better indication as to whether they were just making the building look better with a few sections being open or they intended on completing the entire building. I personally don't see a market for that many hotel rooms either for visitors or citizens on holiday.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #313
TowerJunkie

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
Sad but true. Especially annoying considering there could be a lot of interesting discussions about this unique building. But, alas, people prefer to be agitators for whatever ideology they believe in and screw up a thread ABOUT A BUILDING just to get their propaganda out. So, in my humble opinion, if I was a mod this thread would be re-locked. People don't learn.
Well that is what this whole website is about. Nobody cares who you are or where you come from. We are world citizens hailing the engineering feats of all humanity.

Last edited by TowerJunkie; April 12th, 2009 at 08:04 PM.
TowerJunkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #314
Ukraine

Likes (Received): 505

Sad that their stupid president wants power but does nothing to make that country a wealthy and economically powerful country. Pyongyang is such an ugly city with soviet appartements that have no designs and are mostly ruined. I just noticed that in any communist country, their focus is put to power and not to the happiness of the citizens and their wealth. Just too sad for the people that live in North Korea.
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:00 PM   #315
Peloso

Likes (Received): 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
if I was a mod this thread would be re-locked. People don't learn.
Then it means you don't deserve to be a mod. A mod is (should be) there to make people respect the rules. Now last time I checked the rules say, when people abuse a thread it's not the thread that has to be punished, it's those people. So I think Gothicform should implement his previous resolve and start banning abusers. But knowing the situation here, I'm not holding my breath.
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #316
gusgazman

Likes (Received): 641

I adore this building!
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM   #317
droneriot
Urban Hermit

Likes (Received): 2612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peloso View Post
Then it means you don't deserve to be a mod. A mod is (should be) there to make people respect the rules. Now last time I checked the rules say, when people abuse a thread it's not the thread that has to be punished, it's those people. So I think Gothicform should implement his previous resolve and start banning abusers. But knowing the situation here, I'm not holding my breath.
Sounds like you're proposing to make this thread a venus fly-trap to get rid of the riff-raff. I like your attitude.
droneriot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #318
soloveich
Збагойный Ватнег

Likes (Received): 7345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukraine View Post
Sad that their stupid president wants power but does nothing to make that country a wealthy and economically powerful country. Pyongyang is such an ugly city with soviet appartements that have no designs and are mostly ruined. I just noticed that in any communist country, their focus is put to power and not to the happiness of the citizens and their wealth. Just too sad for the people that live in North Korea.
time to get banned
soloveich no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #319
Alexriga
BANNED

Likes (Received): 176

I like this building, it is so different from any other skyscraper. Poor thing they used shitty concrete on it.
When finished at least from outside it will look different from other city parts.

Does anybody has renderings or something how exactly this building was supposed to look when finished.
Alexriga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #320
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

One thing about this project is that they are installing glass on only one side of the building (the southeastern side). They should be putting the glass on the northeastern and west sides of the building in order for it to be completed.
Jim856796 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel