daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3381
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

Maybe it really is a sign of the changes?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:17 AM   #3382
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Maybe it really is a sign of the changes?
Sorry but a sign of what changes exactly? This building has been built and encouraged for the exact result it is getting from you - to make foreigners believe that North Korea is a prospering or changing nation, and to make North Korean residents believe that they are the envy of the world.

It is really sad that money is invested into statement pieces like this and many enormous statues all over Pyongyang while thousands and thousands of people live in starvation and squalor all over the country, and yet are brainwashed into thinking they have the best lives in the world as they aren't allowed to know any different.

North Korea continue to be one of the world's largest recipients of food aid.
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3383
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's the nicest building in the world in my opinion, but we all know it's just a facade to cover up the hunger and economic failure in that country.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:54 AM   #3384
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

It's a missile silo, lol.
Old May 1st, 2012, 05:33 AM   #3385
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It's the nicest building in the world in my opinion, but we all know it's just a facade to cover up the hunger and economic failure in that country.
Nicest building in the world? I thought Kim Jong Il was dead. I didn't know he had an account on here! haha Please, spare me the pain of hearing anyone ever say that. This building is mediocre at best. It's a shiny coating on an otherwise soulless building.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:14 AM   #3386
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Antunov View Post
I can confirm that you can take photos of anything you like, you just can't travel around the country without a guide. You can travel around cities alone, however.
That's inconsistent with the recollections of pretty much every Western tourist that has been in North Korea recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Antunov View Post
This is a thread about a building, not arbitrary and random musings on NK economy. Please stay on topic or leave.
No thanks. The history of this tower is intertwined with the political and economic situation of this country. Architecture and development is more than glass and steel.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:31 AM   #3387
micrip

Likes (Received): 1049

As far as we know, this may still be a pile of concrete with cladding on it. Is it actually being finished inside?
Old May 1st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #3388
AsianDragons
Oz-Asian

Likes (Received): 263

why are there so many negative posts about this project, he dont care about the country here only the project

Visit the Laos Forum

Visit the Myanmar Forum
AsianDragons no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:11 AM   #3389
CxIxMaN

Likes (Received): 876

In a whole it N Korea is the most weirdest country in the whole world. Its just so sad that they have to shut themselves out from the outside world! Their brains need some fixing before it is too late!!!

And to the building if it was built in any other country I think people will not pay much attention. The fact that this building is in N Korea is why it is famous. That's my opinion though feel free to object.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

Public transport is the way to transportation revolution

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
CxIxMaN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:24 AM   #3390
CxIxMaN

I think this building would be much more use if it was used as the goverment's offices. At least it will be of some use to N Korea leaders instead of a hotel that will be 90% empty.

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones

A.Einstein

A MAYOR of Bogota is reported to have said: “A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. It’s where the rich use public transportation.”
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM   #3391
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
As far as we know, this may still be a pile of concrete with cladding on it. Is it actually being finished inside?
Great point. They might even just finish the entrance, lift-wells, and a few floors of rooms to create another facade for tourists and dignitaries. Never let people into unfinished areas...

You're never going to have the building filled with tourists, who's to say they'll finish every floor internally!
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:14 PM   #3392
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5826

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I seriously can't believe anyone is applauding this building. Really? To like this building you must have no morals. Every window put on this building represents more food that North Korea's own citizens don't get.
I watched a video documentary on North Korea, and in the video they showed that in two 40 story hotels there were a total of 20 guests! That's one person for every 4 floors. Why? Because they want to show the few foreigners who come into the country that North Korea is nirvana, a real-life utopia. That is what this building is! It's a way North Korea seeks to make its citizens convinced that it is not all a lie. That's why after hiding it for 20 years they decided to finish it. North Korea in its present state and this tower are an abomination.
You are flat out wrong. North Koreans would not get a single piece of grain more if that tower would not be finished (completely or just the outside, who knows). Why? Because this is done by an Egyptian company which is doing it as a favour for getting the license for the potential North Korean mobile communication market.

It can be up to debate if this is a very clever step for that company, certainly it comes with high risk but also great chances. In any case, it is the problem of that Egyptian company, not the North Korean people.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3393
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
I seriously can't believe anyone is applauding this building. Really? To like this building you must have no morals. Every window put on this building represents more food that North Korea's own citizens don't get.
I watched a video documentary on North Korea, and in the video they showed that in two 40 story hotels there were a total of 20 guests! That's one person for every 4 floors. Why? Because they want to show the few foreigners who come into the country that North Korea is nirvana, a real-life utopia. That is what this building is! It's a way North Korea seeks to make its citizens convinced that it is not all a lie. That's why after hiding it for 20 years they decided to finish it. North Korea in its present state and this tower are an abomination.
If it were anywhere else but North Korea you would love this building, as would everybody else. It has great architecture, and that's what this site is about, so get the hell off this thread if you're going to judge this building from the country it's in.
Old May 1st, 2012, 10:48 PM   #3394
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If it were anywhere else but North Korea you would love this building, as would everybody else. It has great architecture, and that's what this site is about, so get the hell off this thread if you're going to judge this building from the country it's in.
I'm not just judging it based off of where it is, I'm also judging it based on the fact that it's an ugly piece of shit. It's 3 interconnected triangles, where the hell do you see beauty in that? This is a massive concrete monolith clad in shiny windows and all you are bellowing in glee. It's ugly, how do you see this and think beauty? Its size is impressive but that's it.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 11:44 PM   #3395
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Every other building in the country is boring. This hotel is unique and exciting. I am capable of separating the architecture from the politics, which suck.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:39 AM   #3396
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5322

Meh, whatever. It's not the first pyramid built with slave labor.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:05 AM   #3397
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Meh, whatever. It's not the first pyramid built with slave labor.
The Egyptians built the 1st great pyramid and now they built (covered) this one. Amazing.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3398
CxIxMaN

I think it will be much more use if that building was used as the government central office. It can be North Korea's 'Pentagon' with anti-air guns incase some plane or missile crashes into the building. It will be more useful than a hotel that will be 90% empty most of the time with not much real use!

A.Einstein

Old May 2nd, 2012, 02:58 PM   #3399
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
I do say! Obviously you guys who like this don't see it. It's kind of like covering shit in gold and calling it nice. Somehow you guys have been coerced into thinking this bland piece of shit is nice.
If, say, the new WTC were in North Korea, you'd say: "What a bland piece of shit, it's just a concrete monolith, just 8 isosceles triangles covered in shiny glass atop a bunker base. What could you possibly like about it?"
Anyways,enjoy ranting about your "hatred" for this tower on a site that's pretty much just fans of it.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:06 AM   #3400
dfiler

Likes (Received): 115

I love this building more every time I see it. Well done North Koreans!
dfiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel