daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 02:10 AM   #3401
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

I like the building, I actually think it looks good. I just don't like how or why it is built. Big difference.

I just take offence when people make idiotic comments like "wow, isn't North Korea so clean and nice". Some people need to wake up to reality.
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #3402
italiano_pellicano
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2010

for me is very nice
italiano_pellicano no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:33 AM   #3403
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53453

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
I'm not just judging it based off of where it is, I'm also judging it based on the fact that it's an ugly piece of shit. It's 3 interconnected triangles, where the hell do you see beauty in that? This is a massive concrete monolith clad in shiny windows and all you are bellowing in glee. It's ugly, how do you see this and think beauty? Its size is impressive but that's it.
It's tripodal because that's the most stable form for a supertall built with heavy reinforced concrete using lower grade cement. Remember that this building was conceived over 20 years ago and is an artifact of how the NK regime conceptualized dynamic architecture then. As such it's fascinatiing and with the new cladding, came off far better than many people would have expected.

As to the interior, I don't know if a full buildout is ever going to happen but unless NK opens up more economically and partners with a private operator, they at least have many more years to deal with all that space than they would if the tower were left to rot.
Old May 3rd, 2012, 04:16 AM   #3404
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post
It's tripodal because that's the most stable form for a supertall built with heavy reinforced concrete using lower grade cement. Remember that this building was conceived over 20 years ago and is an artifact of how the NK regime conceptualized dynamic architecture then. As such it's fascinatiing and with the new cladding, came off far better than many people would have expected.

As to the interior, I don't know if a full buildout is ever going to happen but unless NK opens up more economically and partners with a private operator, they at least have many more years to deal with all that space than they would if the tower were left to rot.
Most logical statement I've heard on here yet, and the first statement that can actually make me gain respect for this building... well done!

As for the interior, I've read that it is supposed to already be finished. However, judging from the fact that North korea released that information, it's hardly reliable.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:02 AM   #3405
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
I'm not just judging it based off of where it is, I'm also judging it based on the fact that it's an ugly piece of shit. It's 3 interconnected triangles, where the hell do you see beauty in that? This is a massive concrete monolith clad in shiny windows and all you are bellowing in glee. It's ugly, how do you see this and think beauty? Its size is impressive but that's it.
Um... do your research?
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:39 AM   #3406
Diggerdog

Likes (Received): 2111

Well, I am not a fan of the building itself. It is hideous. It is also well out of place surrounded by low, grubby brown buildings from the 70's (or 50's).

Having said that, it certainly makes an impact, and a statement, and it it impressively huge.

I just...dont even begin to understand what NK vision and philosophy and...like, WTF is their plan exactly?
The world just wants to say 'Its OK, relax, we won't hurt you. Let us help you, or at least let us help you build your economy so you can feed your long suffering people - people who suffer because of some blurry ideology you are clinging to...'

I would say there are things going on in the hinterland of that country that are reminiscent of the dark days of WW2, and I just wish China would pressure them now to just stop all the sabre rattling shit and come out of the closet.

Although to be fair, the NK army were pretty impressive in the Korean War, so I think everyone is still a little wary of them!
Diggerdog está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:50 AM   #3407
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

It's a strong, conservative, minimalist design. It contrasts well with the surrounding commieblock scenery, and complements the mountains nicely. Being from the 80's, you have to admit it's quite modern looking. It was the tallest building in Asia for a while, and endured 20 years of the elements, which is pretty impressive. The fact it looks so good today, after the terrible ordeal it went through for so many years, is what makes so many people love this building. At least it didn't turn out like those apartment buildings in Dubai.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 06:16 AM   #3408
royal rose1

Likes (Received): 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Earth View Post
Um... do your research?
So basically you're saying this isn't a huge concrete building with shiny windows on it? Grow up retard.

What research is there to be done? Go back to your corner.
royal rose1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:50 AM   #3409
eMKay

Likes (Received): 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianDragons View Post
why are there so many negative posts about this project, he dont care about the country here only the project
Because it's a farce.
eMKay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3410
micrip

Likes (Received): 1051

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpunk View Post

Another point is that they hardly have enough power to keep the lights on, let alone satisfy the energy requirements of this building. Has anyone seen this building (or a photo) of it ablaze in lights, like most other supertalls under construction in the rest of the world? It might not even be wired or plumbed inside...
Old May 4th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3411
Lion007
Lion007

Likes (Received): 9070

Is it opened?
Lion007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #3412
Bruce.Tenmile

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
If it were anywhere else but North Korea you would love this building, as would everybody else. It has great architecture, and that's what this site is about, so get the hell off this thread if you're going to judge this building from the country it's in.
I think you'll find that that is your opinion. I can't say I like this tower at all and the matter of its location is not a consideration in that decision. I find it to be a gaudy monstrosity with no redeeming features what so ever. I'm sure most that don't like it feel that way because of it's form rather than it's country.
Bruce.Tenmile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #3413
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce.Tenmile View Post
I think you'll find that that is your opinion. I can't say I like this tower at all and the matter of its location is not a consideration in that decision. I find it to be a gaudy monstrosity with no redeeming features what so ever. I'm sure most that don't like it feel that way because of it's form rather than it's country.
Exactly.

Do you find someone attractive *after* you know what the think? Do you find someone interesting and attractive if you know they believe, for instance, in slavery? No, you don't. You despise them despite any superficial attractiveness. In fact, you're somewhat shocked that you could have been initially drawn to anyone so nasty.

Then you reset your sights and realise that all that glitters is not gold.

This building can in no way be divorced from the North Korean regime. How can it be? It is designed to say: ain't we pretty? Just like the attractive person who tries to fool you with an image, this building is saying: don't mind who I really am, look at how nice I *appear* to be.
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #3414
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1156

Since nobody really knows what is going on inside, I'd refrain from judging it too quickly. Even if it's from North Korea.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #3415
Nuwanda

Likes (Received): 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Since nobody really knows what is going on inside, I'd refrain from judging it too quickly. Even if it's from North Korea.
What would you refrain from judging too quickly? The intent of the NK regime? Most importantly: the reason they built this structure?
Nuwanda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #3416
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Some of these replys! A building is not a person, so judgement about the intent of the architect and or builders and or government is silly. Do you judge the former twin towers on the intent of the USA government (at the time of construction, or now?) The Empire State Building? The Eiffel Tower? The Do you see the great pyramid in Egypt as an awful ugly structure because of the labor used to build it, or the pharohs "intent"? Was it Mubaraks regime that made you think IT was ugly? Nonsense. Would the Ryugyong hotel look better to you if NK and SK were reunited, Germany style, and 20 years from now all was changed for the better (from your perspective)? Intent! Ha!
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #3417
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

AND quick cleanup of the area. No trucks, cranes etc
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #3418
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
Some of these replys! A building is not a person, so judgement about the intent of the architect and or builders and or government is silly. Do you judge the former twin towers on the intent of the USA government (at the time of construction, or now?) The Empire State Building? The Eiffel Tower? The Do you see the great pyramid in Egypt as an awful ugly structure because of the labor used to build it, or the pharohs "intent"? Was it Mubaraks regime that made you think IT was ugly? Nonsense. Would the Ryugyong hotel look better to you if NK and SK were reunited, Germany style, and 20 years from now all was changed for the better (from your perspective)? Intent! Ha!
Yours was the best response I've read yet. Honestly, some people are just idiots.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3419
Los Earth

Likes (Received): 160

Quote:
So basically you're saying this isn't a huge concrete building with shiny windows on it? Grow up retard.

What research is there to be done? Go back to your corner.
Well I guess you're right and no other building in the world is made up of concrete and shiny windows.
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #3420
Bikes
sababa

Likes (Received): 2674

Has there been any interior renders?

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel