daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:50 AM   #3481
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles
 
Mojeda101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 802
Likes (Received): 1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmwv View Post
I'm shocked that many homes are lit.
Didn't they recently open a new dam that doubled their power capacity? Besides, as I said, Pyongyang is the city for the elite of the nation, i'm sure they get that luxury. This is like Hunger games XD
__________________
Any and all photos of my Los Angeles updates can be found at my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram
Mojeda101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #3482
hmmwv
Registered User
 
hmmwv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,391
Likes (Received): 420

If all those lit windows represent a elite family then I'd have to say that's a lot of elites. On the other hand, the new power station could contribute to that, less rolling blackouts.
__________________
The building under construction next to Shanghai Tower is Oriental Financial Center. The "plot" next to Jinmao is reserved green belt and no skyscraper will be built there.
hmmwv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #3483
JamesinOz1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 81
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapernab2 View Post
It's so "Blade Runner"
I agree; now all we need is for the regime to collapse so a forrest of supertalls goes up around it, completing the picture.
JamesinOz1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #3484
cloud32
Registered User
 
cloud32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Norwich
Posts: 413
Likes (Received): 67

Is it only me that seems to think those lights look fake? Maybe its just because all the lights coming from the windows look the same shape, but then again most of those apartment buildings do all seem to have perfectly square windows...

As posted earlier, all this building needs is some neon strips and some flood lighting at the top and it would be a winner. This would also make the viewer pay less attention to the fact that few lights would be on in the rooms....
cloud32 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #3485
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

There are some stripes up the side of the wings that look just like neon lighting strips.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3486
Jongeheer
Registered User
 
Jongeheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ghent
Posts: 2,356
Likes (Received): 217

Blade Runner you say?
Imagine it when it's lit up!
Jongeheer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #3487
sweet-d
Registered User
 
sweet-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chengdu
Posts: 1,612
Likes (Received): 265

last pic looks good
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #3488
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

That picture!!!!!

All it needs is lights and blue neon already, dammit!
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #3489
Scrapernab2
Registered User
 
Scrapernab2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 896
Likes (Received): 96

There is classy lighting, and tacky lighting. I'm going to guess that this tower will have THE brightest, most 'Las-Vegas' style lighting since the Abraj-al-Bait. As a matter of fact, I've been to Vegas many times and can't remember anything as tacky as the Mansuade buildings at night.

Last edited by Scrapernab2; June 21st, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #3490
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

Hopefully they'll keep the lighting minimalist and classy, like the cladding. Just some thin neon strips across the wings should do. This building is too good for flashy lighting like at the new apartment complex.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3491
Gendo
Registered User
 
Gendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 1,548
Likes (Received): 77

Still reminds me of the tower in the old black & white version film 1984.

lol
Gendo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #3492
Maastricht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maastricht
Posts: 336
Likes (Received): 10

Crazy building
Maastricht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:55 PM   #3493
matchboxND
Registered User
 
matchboxND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 41
Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone have any information about this building like if it's in use now?

I would like to see some interior photos eventually.
matchboxND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3494
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,487

Realistically, it might be finished late this year or early next year, inside. And we might never see interior photos, at least until the regime collapses.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:02 AM   #3495
Los Earth
Registered User
 
Los Earth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,039
Likes (Received): 160

I find it funny how no building in Pyongyang not even Ryugyong hotel have red lights at the top because no planes even fly here
Los Earth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 12:46 PM   #3496
Sramaya
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 139
Likes (Received): 3

Despite the fact that the city is lit up it still looks kind of odd. It is too dark on the foreground. The absence of red lights is also striking.
Sramaya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3497
nr23Derek
Registered User
 
nr23Derek's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norwich
Posts: 211
Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sramaya View Post
Despite the fact that the city is lit up it still looks kind of odd. It is too dark on the foreground. The absence of red lights is also striking.
No sign of traffic for sure, but more than that there's not much in the way of streetlights, that's what's really missing. Also, yes there are lights in the windows, but not in so many windows.

Not wasting electricity isn't a failing in its own right though and to be honest we could - and should - cut down a hell of a lot of light pollution in the west.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #3498
DominoCity
Citybuilder
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 7

At night, the building is really not outstanding with that lack of lights, the city looks dark and sad, however, if there is sunlight, it actually looks amazing.
DominoCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #3499
Northridge
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oslo
Posts: 640
Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
And we might never see interior photos, at least until the regime collapses.
It's already a hotel, so it would be foolish of them to not use it as what it's worth. How many local tourist do you think there is in NK..
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #3500
datoriprogram
Registered User
 
datoriprogram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm/New York
Posts: 989
Likes (Received): 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead262 View Post
Are we 100% sure that the building is that height?
Well, "facts" from NK are usually far from the truth, so I guess not
datoriprogram no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu