daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3841
Denjiro
Heathen

Likes (Received): 7095

@woonsocket54
gangnam is a district in seoul, south korea... not pyongyang, north korea.

Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #3842
Mojeda101
IG: UrbanLosAngeles

Likes (Received): 1283

Aren't the elevators supposed to be on the outside of the tower on the side?
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #3843
Delo

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooh View Post
I give up. Complaints above about people disliking anything NoKo (which is understandable considering the way their population is treated), but the sheer naivety continues to astound when I see comments like this.
Haha, I think you misunderstood me. I just compared the clean street to my hometown where there is garbage everywhere. I know why it's clean over there, but I just got excited about the fact that everything look so nice.
And yes, I would love to go there somewhere. Not because I want to chill out on sunny beach and get a nice tan while the population is struggling to survive in the background, but because I want to experience our amazing and interesting world.
Delo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2012, 03:35 AM   #3844
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

Stay on topic guys.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:19 AM   #3845
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delo View Post
Haha, I think you misunderstood me. I just compared the clean street to my hometown where there is garbage everywhere. I know why it's clean over there, but I just got excited about the fact that everything look so nice.
And yes, I would love to go there somewhere. Not because I want to chill out on sunny beach and get a nice tan while the population is struggling to survive in the background, but because I want to experience our amazing and interesting world.
Fair enough. I think visiting NoKo is a great thing, only good for their tourism and economy, and gives a great (if not restricted and somewhat biased) insight into NoKo life.

Anyway, back on topic. I didn't think the elevators were ever meant to be on the outside? I can't see where the shafts would be?
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:42 AM   #3846
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Today, it is Sydney Morning Herald turn to talk about it.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...001-26uej.html

What is that building on the left hand side of the picture?

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 06:55 AM   #3847
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I wish people would stop calling it 'The worst building in history of mankind'
It's like people still referring to the WTC site as 'ground zero'
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3848
therealhussy

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanye View Post
Hey! Glad you like the pictures! I've been longing to see that crazy-ass building ever since I first heard about it. We travelled with Young Pioneer Tours, so unfortunately I can't tell you any more info about Koryo's trip to Ryugyong.

It's a shame that we couldn't get any closer to it than the Sep 23 picture you posted. Never mind though: the visit was well worth it. DPRK is a stunning and strange and wonderful place to visit, and Ryugyong completely epitomises everything about the country. Beautiful facade, but cracked underneath.
therealhussy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #3849
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Lol, now, people now refer it as "used to be call the worse building in history of mankind".

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.

Last edited by mrfusion; October 1st, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old October 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM   #3850
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

This building, in a way, is the most unique supertall ever and since they don't build them like this anymore, I reckon it will maintain the status.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 10:39 PM   #3851
ThatOneGuy

It is by far the most unique skyscraper ever built. Even Russia Tower seemed to be heavily inspired by this building.

The interior has so much potential to be stunning, and looks very roomy. (STILL not sure about how the rooms in the tower itself will feel)

The view from the base upwards is one of the most beautiful architectural things I've ever seen.
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM   #3852
hmmwv

Likes (Received): 420

The cladding is indeed very nice, I think NK is in a hurry to get the exterior finished so it doesn't stand like a sore thumb in their capital, now they have more time to actually work on getting it habitable.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 01:51 AM   #3853
ooh

Quote:
The interior has so much potential to be stunning, and looks very roomy. (STILL not sure about how the rooms in the tower itself will feel)
You'll never get to see all the floors and all the rooms. Chances are the interior will never be completed. This is based on other hotels in Pyongyang that have been standing for decades and still are not completed internally.

I think you'll see the entrance lobby, an office room, and a dozen hotel rooms finished. These will be for show and to prove to "stupid westerners" that they have a magnificent building That'll be it, the rest will lie bare shell forever.

Quote:
Maybe that's because, in someone's opinion, they think it is the worst building in the history of mankind.

Just like you thinking it's the best building in the history of mankind, others have every right to think it is the worst. Stop being so pig-headed, everyone is entitled to their opinion!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 02:07 AM   #3854
ThatOneGuy

That was what it was called when it was incomplete! Even I thought it was the worst building in mankind when it was lying abandoned. It really is off-putting and preventing people from seeing behind that name and finding its true beauty. My main problem is the MEDIA spreading that name around. Media influence is strong on people and if they call it the 'worst building in the world' then others will, too.
It's like calling a simple, minimalist building a 'boring box.' That name gives it a bad image, doesn't it?

Not only that, but I'm sick of your presumptions about this project. Orascom didn't build those other hotels. BTW, I've never heard of any other N Korean hotel standing incomplete, only empty or dark.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; October 2nd, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 06:52 AM   #3855
ooh

Media has an enormous impact ona lot of things - war, racism, politics. That will always be the case. In this case, they're using a term used ofr many years for the building, but in some people's view, the term rings true. I don't think it's the ugliest in the world, but it is not the prettiest like you harp on about either.

Orascom didn't build this buddy, they've simply taken over the aesthetic finishing of it, remember?

Koryo hotel has 500 rooms, however only ever operates 50 of them (max). Do you REALLY think that DPRK had the funds in the 80's to finish 450 rooms to a suitable standard that would never get used? They couldn't afford electricity to run it, so why do you think they'd have the $millions needed to finish it, and even if they did, why would they? What point would there be?

Same applies here. They will complete what is necessary to give the impression of completion. Why complete hundreds of rooms for them to forever sit dormant? They can't afford the electricity to power them, the upkeep of them all. It's not economically viable.

If they give visitors free reign to get out of the elevator at whatever floor they want, choose their room etc, I'll eat my hat.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:12 AM   #3856
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
I've never heard of any other N Korean hotel standing incomplete, only empty or dark.
Actually, the other hotel is complete, but only a few floors are used.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:20 AM   #3857
Cosaonoivay
The Observer

Likes (Received): 810

That doesn't help either , one way or the other , it's kinda doomed !
Cosaonoivay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2012, 07:21 AM   #3858
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooh View Post
Same applies here. They will complete what is necessary to give the impression of completion. Why complete hundreds of rooms for them to forever sit dormant? They can't afford the electricity to power them, the upkeep of them all. It's not economically viable.

If they give visitors free reign to get out of the elevator at whatever floor they want, choose their room etc, I'll eat my hat.
Must be very lonely if you are the only customer in the hotel. A huge lobby with 20 people, 19 of those are staffs.

Old October 5th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #3859
kanye
WDNF-Mod | RIP desertpunk

Likes (Received): 8509

Oct 04
image hosted on flickr

Hotel Ryugyŏng (Corea del Norte) von selectahotels auf Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Interior del Hotel Ryugyŏng (Corea del Norte) von selectahotels auf Flickr
kanye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #3860
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

All the photos of the interior have already been posted in this thread several times over. Posting them again will just help to make the thread even longer and even more repetitive than it already is. Remember that this is a very active thread considering the extremely limited amount of information available about the Ryugyong, so before you post anything please look to see if someone else has already posted it. (When the Koryo Tours photos of the interior appeared, two different users posted them almost simultaneously.)

Last edited by Gag Halfrunt; October 7th, 2012 at 01:45 AM.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel