daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 7th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #3861
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
This building is a pure masterpiece and is the greatest thing to have ever come out of North Korea. I think NK should be more proud of this achievement and they should release more photos of it.
How about you leave this thread for a while? Page after page you explain us how marvelous this building is. We got it.

Anyways, colleagues of mine have been to NK last year. The only way they could go was via an official delegation of the University. Of course the whole program was determined by the North Koreans. This is just to reaffirm what others already said: Going to NK is hard. There is virtually no tourism. NK does not need a new hotel, the existing ones are barely functioning.

Most likely NK neither has an interest nor the financial means to ever complete this building internally, left alone as a hotel. What it obviously is interested in, is to make a mistake disappear - hence the cladding. The target audience, however, is not the world - it's the North Koreans. They don't care what we think. But they don't want their citizens to see the living embodiment of their regimes failure on a daily basis. Hence the cladding. It's just a big show. The whole city is. Stores with fake goods in the windows, empty streets, ghost subways, ghost highways, thousands of empty buildings in the city...
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #3862
bagak
Rang Chaniago

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
How about you leave this thread for a while? Page after page you explain us how marvelous this building is. We got it..
Better yet, why dont you...? page after page you and your "axis of evils" friends explain us how worst this building is. We got it...
Seorang pecundang mengatakan bahwa bangsa Minangkabau adalah bangsa pemimpi yang suka berpangku tangan, tapi kami bangsa Minangkabau berkata, ya kami adalah pemimpi, pemimpi untuk jadi besar dan sukses, itulah sebabnya kami punya tradisi dimana setiap anak lelaki diakhir baligh-nya akan berjalan meninggalkan tanah kelahirannya mencari jati diri dan posisi di masyarakat dan pemerintahan, dan torehan mimpi mimpi bangsa Minangkabau itu bisa dilihat dari sejarah bangsa ini hingga sekarang.
bagak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #3863
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Quote:
How about you leave this thread for a while? Page after page you explain us how marvelous this building is. We got it.

Anyways, colleagues of mine have been to NK last year. The only way they could go was via an official delegation of the University. Of course the whole program was determined by the North Koreans. This is just to reaffirm what others already said: Going to NK is hard. There is virtually no tourism. NK does not need a new hotel, the existing ones are barely functioning.

Most likely NK neither has an interest nor the financial means to ever complete this building internally, left alone as a hotel. What it obviously is interested in, is to make a mistake disappear - hence the cladding. The target audience, however, is not the world - it's the North Koreans. They don't care what we think. But they don't want their citizens to see the living embodiment of their regimes failure on a daily basis. Hence the cladding. It's just a big show. The whole city is. Stores with fake goods in the windows, empty streets, ghost subways, ghost highways, thousands of empty buildings in the city...
I need to make up for the 15 years of pure, unfought hate spilled on this building. It's worse because pretty much the only reason for its hate is its location/history, my argument proven by your comment.

It's obvious they want to use the hotel for a REAL use. Otherwise they would not have installed open-able windows, mech. floor vents, or the fireproofing underneath the cladding. It would have been cheaper to merely clad it with plain glass and leave it at that.

I wonder how many internet comments you went through to get your visualization of North Korea.
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #3864
LSyd
Megalomaniac

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooh View Post
You'll never get to see all the floors and all the rooms. Chances are the interior will never be completed. This is based on other hotels in Pyongyang that have been standing for decades and still are not completed internally.

I think you'll see the entrance lobby, an office room, and a dozen hotel rooms finished. These will be for show and to prove to "stupid westerners" that they have a magnificent building That'll be it, the rest will lie bare shell forever.

Maybe that's because, in someone's opinion, they think it is the worst building in the history of mankind.

Just like you thinking it's the best building in the history of mankind, others have every right to think it is the worst. Stop being so pig-headed, everyone is entitled to their opinion!
one day the regime will fall and mass urbanization will likely happen; the hotels could very well end up vertical slums if left unchecked. or they could be stripped for scrap metal.

-

- gleegieboy
LSyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #3865
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Likes (Received): 61191

It doesn't really matter how people look at North Korea. There design itself is already enough for people to have very outspoken ideas about this building.

A pyramid shaped full reflecting glass, with a round thing on top. And then I'm not even talking about the thing that makes up the absolute top of the tower. It screams 1940s sci-fi/futurism, it simply has an Orwellian feel to it. It looks like the Eye of Providence, so you can also add the whole Illuminati nonsense in the mix. It's not surprising that people don't like it and associate it with things that have nothing to do with tower

It's also a mediocre design, it's just a strange combination of forms and features . The glass is also mediocre, it doesn't have the smooth surface that was supposed to have. The way it's placed in it's direct surrounding and in the city also has nothing to do with proper city planning.

All in all it's just an horrendous tower, but at the same time it's also such a intriguing tower.
Momo1435 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #3866
ThatOneGuy

If this glass is mediocre then the glass on other buildings must be complete trash
Old October 8th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #3867
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 910

Because your an expert on glass cladding now, right? Judging from your comments you don't have any clue about either architecture, construction or engineering. But anyways, the guy with the pony avatar on the interwebs told us this is the best cladding and the bestest building ever, so it must be that way.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM   #3868
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
If this glass is mediocre then the glass on other buildings must be complete trash
There are enough towers with a similar glass facade where the glass looks much better. There are also towers where it's also not that good, but those don't make this one less mediocre.
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #3869
ThatOneGuy

But have you actually seen the reflections given by the cladding? They are quite clear. I, myself, judge cladding based on the amount of waves, and frankly, I see very few. I'll never say that this building has the best or highest quality cladding type because nobody is sure.
BTW, why do you think this has mediocre quality cladding? Is there a way to judge cladding based on photos only?

@rheintram How childish. No facts to disprove me and you used 'your' instead of 'you're.'
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:25 AM   #3870
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Beautiful images of this great tower!
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3871
Momo1435
-----アンジュルム-----

Quote:
Is there a way to judge cladding based on photos only?
Oh god, since you and I won't be going to North Korea anytime we can't say anything about the building anymore.

You can base an opinion about this on pictures. Not just 1 picture of course, I've based it on mutliple pictures from different angles that have been posted in this thread. I can compare it with other pictures of other buildings that have similar glass. And the glass on this tower looks more messy. On the clearest pictures you can see from the differences of the reflections that it's not smooth.

For me it's clear that this kind of glass is not right for this building, for this design, it enhances the hideousness of the design. Because that's something that is 100%, this building has nothing to do with architecture.
Old October 9th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3872
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:

You speak the truth, I completely agree with you. Sadly, the truth is considered taboo in this thread. A while ago I tried to discuss the structural problems of this building and several forumers screamed at me that I'm a hater, even though I was telling only the proven truth. The people in this thread are good people but some of them have created a John Lear style alternate reality, completely disconnected from reality, in which the DPHK is the perfect country and the Slaughterhotel is the perfect building. They don't care about proof, their views are their dogma and everybody who says otherwise is a hater. Telling them the truth is a noble cause and I tried it too, but I have given it up in the end because I saw that no matter how much proof I provide, it is not enough to overcome their dogma

At the end I would like to state that I encountered several people in this thread who had no problems discussing the dark side of this building with me. Even if they liked this building, they didn't scream at me that I'm a hater, so not all of the people who like this building have created this above described dogma for themselves
Old October 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM   #3873
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

I crave more interior pictures.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #3874
ThatOneGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
You speak the truth, I completely agree with you. Sadly, the truth is considered taboo in this thread. A while ago I tried to discuss the structural problems of this building and several forumers screamed at me that I'm a hater, even though I was telling only the proven truth. The people in this thread are good people but some of them have created a John Lear style alternate reality, completely disconnected from reality, in which the DPHK is the perfect country and the Slaughterhotel is the perfect building. They don't care about proof, their views are their dogma and everybody who says otherwise is a hater. Telling them the truth is a noble cause and I tried it too, but I have given it up in the end because I saw that no matter how much proof I provide, it is not enough to overcome their dogma

At the end I would like to state that I encountered several people in this thread who had no problems discussing the dark side of this building with me. Even if they liked this building, they didn't scream at me that I'm a hater, so not all of the people who like this building have created this above described dogma for themselves
Dear god... for the last time, rumours are not the truth...
And if anybody tries to provide facts to disprove you, you immediately dismiss them as forged by north Korea. Like how Orascom Construction found no major problems with the building.
And your nickname of the building is very childish.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #3875
Kanto
Roof height crusader

From where do you know that Orascom didn't find anything on the building? Were you part of an inspection team inspecting the building? If not, there's no way you could know what Orascom knows. Besides, you don't even know whether such an inspection ever took place because there is absolutely no data on the net about such an inspection. The difference between facts and speculations is providing sources that back up one's claims. I provided facts, you provided speculation

But no, I'm not going to argue here with you. If you want this thread as a place where you can nonstop sing odes for the glory of the Slaughterhotel and the DPHK, no problem, you can have it
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:49 AM   #3876
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Dear god... for the last time, rumours are not the truth...
Considering the subject of this conversation, do you not see the blindingly outrageous irony of this comment?

Last edited by ooh; October 11th, 2012 at 01:25 AM.
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3877
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
From where do you know that Orascom didn't find anything on the building? Were you part of an inspection team inspecting the building? If not, there's no way you could know what Orascom knows. Besides, you don't even know whether such an inspection ever took place because there is absolutely no data on the net about such an inspection. The difference between facts and speculations is providing sources that back up one's claims. I provided facts, you provided speculation

But no, I'm not going to argue here with you. If you want this thread as a place where you can nonstop sing odes for the glory of the Slaughterhotel and the DPHK, no problem, you can have it
The only difference between Orascom report and UN report is the you believe the latter. Other than that, it's the same shit. I believe UN had a reason to not accurately reflect the conditions in their report, so did Orascom (if they REALLY claimed false). Only time will tell who was right.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #3878
ThatOneGuy

Nearly topped out!
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #3879
Сталин
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1109

Wow, that is the first picture I've seen of it being U/C before construction was halted way back when.

Highcliff liked this post
Сталин no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #3880
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
you are pathetic.
Don't bully him! He's right. If the building would collapse now it would be the best case scenario. If not, then it probably would do so once it is full of people and that would be far worse with far more casualties

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel