daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:45 AM   #3941
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
It would be the second-tallest hotel-only building, but it will be mixed use.
If it is mix-used, then it is not hotel-only. This is something like the 50th tallest now, there will odd to be a few taller hotel (mix or single used)

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:55 PM   #3942
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Half of your "debunks" are to do with biased assumptions of North Korea, which emphasizes my all-time theory of 90% of hate on this building being just for the location. You assume that Orascom is an evil company that would kill off tons of people for quick money. That's not how it works. Maybe in sci-fi moves.

The Chamber of Commerce specializes in money, business, and trade. Not structural engineering. Orascom has branches in construction. Who knows better?

Orascom is not making deals with N. Korea because they love to starve people and agree with grueling totalitarianism. They're there to make money off investments for a cell phone network. And to set up offices, as I've recently learned. American companies once made trading and investment deals with the Soviet Union, which killed the most people in history, besides communist China. Therefore they shouldn't be trusted?
Also, I think other dictators would rather have a reliable constructor of propaganda than one that had an entire building collapse... Unless, of course, they're sociopaths and would rather kill people for fun than have strong structures.

The second point is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. First off, there is no other dictatorship like that in the world, that could even begin to get away with that, and Orascom wasn't there because they WANTED to build propaganda in dangerous ways. They HAD to resume construction, in order to build the network connection they wanted.

Your theories are not equally probable. You assume that the collapse of the building would make them revered instead of reviled, (other dictators will like them..?? I still don't get it) and that they would trade flesh for money. I gave realistic theories based on how business works. This can't even be a serious conversation.
I won't continue arguing about this, because you've mostly resorted to taking jabs at North Korea as your rebuttals.
Sorry to tell, you but your assumptions are wrong. It is you who thinks of an evil company as somebody intentionally killing people. That's not how it works in reality. The real life evil companies don't kill for fun, they only don't bother investing into the safety of their employees and the people that use their products. As an example i could give you Polish food companies. Day after day we over here at Slovakia get news reports of their food being problematic and them using salt for use against snow on streets for food. Also, my data isn't biased, it's just the truth you don't like.

One thing I find especially ludicrous is your claim that the EUChoC doesn't specialize in engineering. Do you honestly think that they would send one of them into the hotel to make the inspection? Of course not, they would buy the services of engineers to do the inspection. Engineers specialize in engineering.

I honestly have problems believing that you really don't understand how a reputation of striving for greed above all else would be profitable for them. To put it simple, if you want to do something nasty, you won't ask kind people to help you. Instead you'll ask nasty people, even though they might not be as professional as other kind people are. That is how the reputation of being nasty can help somebody to find work.

Also, I fail to see how you can not understand that for some people it is in their interest to do a building as cheaply as possible. That is the reason why the engineering of the Slaughterhotel is so substandard. They don't want to make a weak building, they only want to make the building as cheap as possible. You can see this kind of approach every day and everywhere. Surely you already buyed some product that fell apart shortly after you bought them. Even relatively good businessmen sometimes do such practices and corrupt ones and dictators pretty much don't have a reason to not do it seeing as they care only for themselves.

Highcliff liked this post
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #3943
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 9841

Quote:
It's been a long time coming! North Korea's 'Hotel of Doom' to finally open 26 years after construction first began.

The 105-storey pyramid-shaped hotel that has dominated the skyline of North Korea's capital city for more than 20 years may finally be on the verge of opening for the first time.
It is hoped Pyongyang's Ryugyong Hotel will partially open in the middle of next year - 26 years after construction began.
It is the 47th tallest building in the world, standing at 1,100ft, and has the fifth highest number of floors.

Source

Not the most reliable news source, but an interesting piece.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 03:28 PM   #3944
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Articles on this building are redundant and pointless. Just more negative nonsense.
I mean, they always comment on it as if it were still a concrete shell. They still refer to that awful, outdated Esquire review.

"But the 'Hotel of Doom' may open next year after the international hotel operator Kempinski AG resumed construction in 2009"

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; November 4th, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #3945
Kanto
Roof height crusader

That article is wrong because it is not Kempinski that is finishing it, it is Orascom. Kempinski will just manage the hotel part of the tower. They have absolutely no stake in the construction process, or the potential collapse. So I agree that the article isn't exactly well informed journalism.

But there is nothing awful or outdated on the Esquire opinion. It's just an opinion. You disagree with it, I agree with it and everybody has the right to make his/her own opinion about the hotel and that opinion should be respected.

Old November 4th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #3946
ThatOneGuy

But it was made before the first cladding piece was even installed, so I demand a new opinion. Even I thought it was hideous before it was reconstructed, and now it is my favorite building in the world. Opinions can change that drastically.
Of course, no news report will have a positive view on the building. Otherwise they're slaves to grorious leader kim jeng un.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; November 4th, 2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #3947
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Kanto: Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #3948
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
But it was made before the first cladding piece was even installed, so I demand a new opinion. Even I thought it was hideous before it was reconstructed, and now it is my favorite building in the world. Opinions can change that drastically.
Of course, no news report will have a positive view on the building. Otherwise they're slaves to grorious leader kim jeng un.
Maybe you should contact the author of the Slaughterhotel article on Esquire. Show him/her the new pictures with the claded building and ask him/her what does he/she think about it. This is the only way to ever know if his/her opinion has changed or not. There's no reason for him/her to not be honest about their opinions. I've done something similar in the past too. Before the height of the new 2WTC was revealed I wrote a mail to the NYC Port Authority asking about its height. I never received an answer but it was still worth the try

Old November 5th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #3949
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Kempinski will just manage the hotel part of the tower. They have absolutely no stake in the construction process, or the potential collapse. So I agree that the article isn't exactly well informed journalism.
How exactly do Kempinski "have absolutely no stake in the construction process, or the potential collapse"? They have a stake in hotel guests not dying. They have a stake in hotel staff not dying. They have a stake in not being remembered as the company that ran that hotel in that weird-ass building in Pyongyang that collapsed and killed hundreds of people. Or do you imagine that the Ryugyong will quietly implode into a cloud of dust before it opens without harming anyone?
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #3950
Kanto
Roof height crusader

They didn't construct it. If it would collapse they could just point their fingers on Orascom and the DPHK and say that they were assured by them that the hotel is safe. If the hotel would collapse they would be the victims, tricked by Orascom and the DPHK. Only Orascom and the DPHK would be responsible. In fact, they might even gain money, ever heard of the term insurance fraud?

Old November 5th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #3951
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1145

Insurance in North Korea? *facepalm*
krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3952
mediadave

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Insurance in North Korea? *facepalm*
Actually internationally recognised insurance - and (probable) insurance fraud - is possible in North Korea:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,467784,00.html

Quote:
After a British court battle that dragged on for nearly two years, a group of international insurance firms have abandoned their accusations of reinsurance fraud against a firm owned by the regime of North Korean dictator Kim Jong Il, and agreed to pay out more than $52 million in contested claims for a 2005 helicopter accident in Pyongyang.

The settlement between the insurers, led by a subsidiary of giant Allianz Group and the state-owned monopoly Korean National Insurance Corporation (KNIC), was announced in London on December 10. It amounted to a clear victory for the North Korean firm, which had argued long and strenuously that the damage claim was a legitimate commercial debt, and the fraud accusations were no more than a smokescreen to avoid payment.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...#ixzz2BM5zByYm
mediadave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #3953
jose eliseo
Deportes Tolima el mejor!

Likes (Received): 2524

uff que hermoso e imponente!

♬♪ Guia De Threads Del Departamento De Tolima ♩♬

♫♩ Guia De Threads De La Ciudad de Ibague ♪♫

███████
███████
███████

SkyscraperIbague Facebook
jose eliseo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM   #3954
Alien x

Likes (Received): 3435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
They didn't construct it. If it would collapse they could just point their fingers on Orascom and the DPHK and say that they were assured by them that the hotel is safe. If the hotel would collapse they would be the victims, tricked by Orascom and the DPHK. Only Orascom and the DPHK would be responsible. In fact, they might even gain money, ever heard of the term insurance fraud?
You are seriously disturbed individual.
I don't care who they point the figure at if you put your name (hotel or franchise) on something you are guaranteeing that the facility meets your specs and standards. In any hotel is something happens to you it is the responsibility (and thats who you would sue) of the hotel not constructor or government. It is total absurd to write that hotel chain does not care if its building collapses especially a hotel chain that prides its self as a high end chain. It would be the end of the chain.
Then again its in line with everything else you write on this thread.
Alien x no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #3955
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Nope, it would not be the end of the chain, you honestly think that they didn't require Orascom and the DPHK to sign that the building is safe before they agreed to the deal? If anything would happen to the building then these papers would immediately be published by Kempinski and no judge outside of the DPHK would ever consider them guilty of anything. Tenants are not responsible for the building they occupy, the constructors are. Kempinski would be the victim in this case and no personal assault you throw against me will change that.

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3956
AltinD
The Modecator

You need urgent evaluation and care
I can cheat you blind.

Old November 5th, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3957
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Is it the role of a moderator to insult forumers? Forumers who are on topic and haven't insulted anyone themselves?

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #3958
AltinD
The Modecator

Come on man, you should stop with the nonsense .... "it WILL collapse, the Hotel operator will get out unscathed when that will happen"
I can cheat you blind.

Old November 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #3959
ThatOneGuy

I sort of understand what he's getting at, but it doesn't matter because the building won't collapse.
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3960
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post
Come on man, you should stop with the nonsense .... "it WILL collapse, the Hotel operator will get out unscathed when that will happen"
OK, if you disagree with me, then say so. This is an open discussion for both skeptics and enthusiasts of this building so your opinion is welcome, but I don't understand why you have to express it with offensive wording. For example I think the notion that a simple renting of a bit of space in a building that might collapse will ruin a big company is nonsense, yet you don't see me insulting you.

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel