daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #4041
Cardinal-Biggles
Architectural Designer

Likes (Received): 65

I'm not being biased because the media and our government has continuously insisted that North Korea is evil, I'm biased because of their secrecy and censorship they impose, that even a report released with their collaboration is to be taken with a grain of salt. So I wasn't being political or anti-North Korean.

That being said, I mentioned examples such as the Harmon, the Tacoma-Narrows, and the Hyatt Regency because they functioned well at the beginning. Just because it has stood for many years doesn't mean it will not fail if built incorrectly. Otherwise, these projects I mention would have not made an impact like they did after failure or discovered to fail eventually. Otherwise, why isn't DPRK pushing for it's opening and allow people to inhabit it (ignoring poverty)?

All I'm saying is that people are worshiping a building and defending its questionable integrity purely because it's cool and it is North Korea. I have no problem with people liking it because of its aesthetics or functionality, but it should not be defended for it's structural capacity and questionable reports. All of this is my opinion btw.
Cardinal-Biggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #4042
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

So you call others bias and unrealistic, yet you call the structure failling and non-safe just because it is in North Korea? Do you even listen to yourselff?

As for the 2nd jewel, that the structure is unsafe because the concrete craftsmanship isn't pretty, while it may be smth to attract further attention, it means nothing technically, cause that is caused by not well aligned formwork or cosmetic weather demage, none of which has anything to do with the structural integrity of the buioding ....... if you were in the bussines OR simply an enthusiast who has whitnessed and observed dosens if not hundreds of towers and skyscrapers being build, you wouldn't have said that. Another indication, that politics and not construction is your priority (not that it wasn't clear from the tone of your posts anyway)
I can cheat you blind.

Highcliff liked this post
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #4043
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

Past. Present. Future.

Past: We all agree that the building was abandoned after construction stopped? IF the NK's kept the lower levels dry, my opinion is that there is nothing that couldn't be reinforced or repaired. If the place filled with water, and there were places where the water got to the rebar, big trouble, someday.

Present: Orascom is repairing everything to the best of thier abilities. No one can seriously argue that they would ignore or cover up structural problems. Anything that led to the building not being usable (even in a limited way) would mean the NK's would get angry and disolve any agreements with Orascom and they would lose whatever deal they had to recoup the money invested.

Future: Crappy formwork and failure to use levels does not mean the building is unsafe today. Poor structural concrete quality and failure to vibrate is. Also, is there rusting rebar and crumbling concrete in the basement? As long as we can't get a legit (current) inspection of the WHOLE structure, and as long as it still stands, we will never know.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #4044
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

I have been watching this closely since Orascom started work on this monster.

Its great to see some interior pics finally, even if there are just a few. Unfortunately it creates more questions for me... There is the shot of the blonde lady at the top of the tower viewing the city below. I am wondering if they finished the elevators and some of the floors, or if they had rode up a construction elevator to get to the top. I knew someone in the past who visited NK, and they had said that every elevator that had been in was very uncomfortable and they tried to avoid them. I guess the elevators were very shaky in the Hotel they were staying in (I forgot the name of the hotel). I wonder if the lifts are more "elegant" in this tower, and if Orascom used any outside suppliers to finish up the lifts.

The podium is still be worked on obviously, but beyond that area I am very curious to see what the main elevator lobby looks like, and if that section has been outfitted yet. It would be awesome to spend a coupe of hours walking through this giant, exploring some of the floors, etc..

I used to doubt the integrity of this building because of the dilapidated appearance of the concrete, not because I have anything against NK and most other Americans dont either - its our corrupted ass govt. we have over here!

I doubt Orascom would have taken this project on if it really was "crumbling" in critical areas within the frame. All in all, it looks pretty awesome now that it is covered in cladding.
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #4045
patrykus

Likes (Received): 1794

Most of what you asked is as much of mystery to me as it is to everyone. Only about the elevators. I can imagine they will be top notch since Kampinsky is the operator of the hotel. They have their reputation they have to be careful about.
PolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CComingSoon/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/CPolishTowersU/C

patrykus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #4046
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

Orascom is finishing the building, so I don't see a single reason as to why the elevators would be bad in the first place. North Korea built the rest of the crappy elevators in their country, but Orascom is in charge with the rest of the building's construction, most likely using Chinese materials. Chinese building materials are very high quality, such as their elevators, and cladding. And the cladding on this building looks very high quality itself.
And yes, Kempinski is managing the hotel section, and I don't think they would be fine with shoddy elevators.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #4047
Indica
Top of the World

Likes (Received): 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrykus View Post
Most of what you asked is as much of mystery to me as it is to everyone. Only about the elevators. I can imagine they will be top notch since Kampinsky is the operator of the hotel. They have their reputation they have to be careful about.
I am wondering if they are using Chinese elevators, or something of the sort... I doubt there would be anything like Otis lifts, but then again you never know. I am wondering what the deal was with this lady at the top of the tower - I am completely captivated with it! I wish I could see exactly what she saw upon walking into the tower, going through the elevator lobby and getting whisked up to the top! I really do hope that they will be finished soon, and the hotel will be open to tourists so we can get plenty of pics to see. As secretive as NK is, I have a feeling that there will be a lot of pics since this building will probably be outfitted very nicely and they will want people around the world to see what they are capable of. Even if they just have 5-10 floors open for hotel rooms, I hope that they will be near the top!

The podium is absolutely cavernous, and I am wondering how they will utilize the space. There are lots of people who are very curious about NK (including me) and I think if the country "opened up" a bit more, there would be no shortage of visitors! I actually see the possibility more and more of this happening in the future even if the government does not change. I know they dont like Americans over there, but I would still want to visit that country to get a taste of something "different."
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:12 AM   #4048
ThatOneGuy

Judging from videos of other buildings ineriors in pyongyang, I'd say the interior will be a bit bland, but with a hint of 80s futurism. The shape of the lobby and the curved staircases suggests that as well.

Old November 14th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #4049
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
There is the shot of the blonde lady at the top of the tower viewing the city below. I am wondering if they finished the elevators and some of the floors, or if they had rode up a construction elevator to get to the top.
Passenger elevators can be installed as soon as power is ready, usually these elevators will initially be used for construction and replace those external caged elevators.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4050
Oljua

Likes (Received): 0

look at this guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W0xO...ure=watch-vrec

It's a report from August of 2010 on the progress being made on apartment unit construction in Pyongyang. What's important about it, however, is that it clearly illustrates (to a certain degree) how North Koreans, in general, build their structures.

This should also give those interested in the viability of the Ryugyong significant insights.

Last edited by Oljua; November 14th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Oljua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4051
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1144

Thanks for the clip but what does it actually prove?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #4052
Oljua

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
Thanks for the clip but what does it actually prove?
My point in posting that is this: if one doesn't have an understanding of the techniques the North Koreans used to build the Ryugyong and other structures, then they have no grounds whatsoever to make assertions on it's structural quality that are not in line with what evidence is available. That's why I have made and will continue to make such posts if I feel that it's relevant to this discussion.
Oljua no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #4053
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1144

But you posted a clip of a commie block construction. How is that going to help with anything in regards to Ryugyong? Are you suggesting they used the same method for 330m concrete goliath as for tiny blockhouses?
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #4054
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Judging from videos of other buildings ineriors in pyongyang, I'd say the interior will be a bit bland, but with a hint of 80s futurism. The shape of the lobby and the curved staircases suggests that as well.
My guess is that the interior will be designed by the architects working for Orascom, and will probably be much more fashionable than anything North Korean architects would design. Kempinski might bring in their favourite interior designers to work on the hotel floors.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4055
windowsoftheworld

Likes (Received): 171

I am really not fond with the shape of this building.

windowsoftheworld no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:22 PM   #4056
ThatOneGuy

I remember making a render, myself, of how I imagined the interior to look like, for a hotel room in this building. I can't find it now :\

Old November 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4057
JmSepe
Nobel Prize Laureate

Likes (Received): 226

This project really did undergo a major makeover. Nyahaha

You can also find me in simtropolis, sc4devotions, anime-manga forum, the blue knight forum, mangafox, archives of our own, fanfiction, tumblr, blogspot, instagram, facebook and twitter.
JmSepe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #4058
isicman

Likes (Received): 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indica View Post
I am wondering if they are using Chinese elevators, or something of the sort... I doubt there would be anything like Otis lifts, but then again you never know.
Otis is manufacturing some of their lifts in China. Depending on the product range.
isicman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4059
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

The 5 leading elevator company, Kone, Otis, Schindler, Mitsubishi and ThyssenKrupp all have its present in China. There might be other huge China only lift elevators companies as well, so anyone is possible.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 03:42 AM   #4060
ThatOneGuy

Hopefully when the next big wave of updates happens next august, we will know far more about how much they've worked on the building. I wish Koryo Tours would be more persistent and never stop asking for admittance inside the building. Maybe by the end of next year we will have some more interior pics.
Speaking of updates, I'd like to see to what extent the surrounding area was landscaped?

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel