daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #4101
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Alright, sorry for not being an expert in hotel room designs. I don't usually do models, so please, forgive me for my ignorance of hotel room layouts.
And you could be right about the cracks, (or surface concrete chips, I should have said), but Orascom repaired them. It is possible to repair concrete, and compared to the concrete on some renovated skyscrapers in Sarajevo, this building was perfectly fine. Although we do not know how exactly, or to what extent, they repaired the concrete, it's highly unlikely such businesses would invest in this building if it wasn't safe.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #4102
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor
 
mrfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phnom Penh & Sydney
Posts: 6,977
Likes (Received): 302

TheOneGuy, this is a meant to be a hotel, not a residential project, very unlikely it will have a full size Kitchen, with the sort of gas cook top you put in.

Anyway, there are a many pictures on the internet from other North Korea hotels room, I don't think we should expect anything less. (If this hotel end up open one day).
__________________
Your brain has two parts: the left and the right. the left gets nothing right, and the right has nothing left.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #4103
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Some generic hotel brands I've been inside had kitchens and 2 rooms as well, so I don't see why it would be a problem to add those. This is Kempinski we're talking about, too, and they run luxury hotels. And the government there might give some rooms to their elite to live in, who knows.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #4104
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor
 
mrfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phnom Penh & Sydney
Posts: 6,977
Likes (Received): 302

then it may looks something like this





http://www.kempinski.com/en/beijing/...ms-and-suites/
__________________
Your brain has two parts: the left and the right. the left gets nothing right, and the right has nothing left.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:33 AM   #4105
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

If it looks like that, it will truly be a miracle.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:43 AM   #4106
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor
 
mrfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phnom Penh & Sydney
Posts: 6,977
Likes (Received): 302

you can make it anything you want, once you handover to Kempinski, they should be able to import anything they want, and make it into any class they want.

But it might be hard to find visitors to live in it.
__________________
Your brain has two parts: the left and the right. the left gets nothing right, and the right has nothing left.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #4107
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Once the regime collapses, I'm almost certain there will be a huge demand for space in this building. There are many people curious about North korea, myself included. If the regime ended, I would certainly go there and ask for a room in the Ryugyong.

But in the current situation, it'll remain nearly empty for a while. It's a good move for them to finish only a fraction of the originally planned rooms, to leave the rest of the space for later.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #4108
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor
 
mrfusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phnom Penh & Sydney
Posts: 6,977
Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Once the regime collapses, I'm almost certain there will be a huge demand for space in this building. There are many people curious about North korea, myself included. If the regime ended, I would certainly go there and ask for a room in the Ryugyong.
But what is there to see, once the regime collapse, North Korea will start to becomes like South Korea.
__________________
Your brain has two parts: the left and the right. the left gets nothing right, and the right has nothing left.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #4109
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
Alright, sorry for not being an expert in hotel room designs. I don't usually do models, so please, forgive me for my ignorance of hotel room layouts.
And you could be right about the cracks, (or surface concrete chips, I should have said), but Orascom repaired them. It is possible to repair concrete, and compared to the concrete on some renovated skyscrapers in Sarajevo, this building was perfectly fine. Although we do not know how exactly, or to what extent, they repaired the concrete, it's highly unlikely such businesses would invest in this building if it wasn't safe.
Without seeing their contracts you have no way of knowing in what they would invest and in what they wouldn't invest.
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #4110
TheZoolooMaster
Registered User
 
TheZoolooMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 273
Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
But what is there to see, once the regime collapse, North Korea will start to becomes like South Korea.
If* the regime collapses, then you will see a huge inflow of businessmen into the country. I think this hotel would certainly find its clientèle.
TheZoolooMaster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #4111
Gag Halfrunt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 719
Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfusion View Post
But what is there to see, once the regime collapse, North Korea will start to becomes like South Korea.
Unless the North gets flattened in a war (again), it would take decades of rebuilding before distinctively North Korean architecture disappeared completely. Most cities, towns and villages were destroyed during the Korean War, so the majority of buildings in the country date back no further than the end of the war. It's not like former East Germany, for instance, where Communist-era buildings are just one part of the urban fabric alongside older and newer architecture.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4112
Ed007Toronto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 834
Likes (Received): 71

It wouldn't take very long for the North to change completely once the current leaders disappear.
__________________
Check out UrbanToronto
http://urbantoronto.ca/
http://skyrisecities.com/


MyMiniCity
http://ed007ville.myminicity.com/ind
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #4113
deepblue01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 859
Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltinD View Post


You really do have isssues boi .... serious ones


EDIT: You do realize we discuss skyscrapers here, not politics
This comment should be aimed at almost everyone who has posted in this thread.

I don't see the fascination with arguing over North Korea? Can't we just accept that its a supertall and discuss?
deepblue01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4114
spacetweek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dublin
Posts: 822
Likes (Received): 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
That's true. Visiting North Korea is both dangerous and immoral. Dangerous because the armed forces of the country have no problem to kill a tourist and immoral because whatever a tourist buys there he/she helps funding the government and its atrocities.
Went there on a Chinese-organised excursion in 2011, really enjoyed it. Thoroughly fascinating and horrifying place.
__________________
Latest information on road building in Ireland, and detailed information on all Irish motorways
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/ine...s/current.html
My proposals for roadbuilding 2015-2040:
http://www.irishmotorwayinfo.com/inex/roads/futures
spacetweek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #4115
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepblue01 View Post
This comment should be aimed at almost everyone who has posted in this thread.

I don't see the fascination with arguing over North Korea? Can't we just accept that its a supertall and discuss?
Because it's in North Korea, there's barely any info on it. Therefore, (since it's in North Korea) people will automatically assume the worst possible scenario the building is in is true.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #4116
Kanto
Roof height crusader
 
Kanto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: S-4, Papoose Lake
Posts: 5,925
Likes (Received): 3546

Or, some of the people who like it architectually will ignore facts and automatically assume that the building must be structurally perfect. C'mon ThatOneGuy you accuse everybody of being biased but look at yourself, you essentially love everything that is North Korean and deny everything bad about the country
__________________
The Outbreak: A free browser online strategy game. Build up your town and compete with other towns economicaly and militarily.
http://www.the-outbreak.com/
Kanto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:41 PM   #4117
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

See, now because I wasn't obliged to believe the Western media's theory about this building and the country, people automatically assume I like North Korea. The only thing I like about the country is the architecture. I hate everything else, but I don't deny they're not trying to do at least something about the squalor they're currently living in. Which they are, because evidence proves to that.

As for the concrete, we have absolutely no idea about the quality used, since theories about (non structural integrity damaging) crooked forms in the initial construction, and dirt/grime being the main reasons for your photo looking like it does are as perfectly valid as any other rumour about the building. Especially since there are valid, exact quotes from the construction company, and original largely-European engineering reports (from before the abandonment) that say the concrete was fine. (But of course, you won't trust Orascom, becuase they're doing something good in North korea, which is physically impossible, because, you know, they're bad guys)

I don't find obscure western commissions giving an intangible, extremely vague, 15 year old description of a building they could care less about, that is influenced by South Koreans specializing in business, proper evidence. Just my opinion, though.
I want to finish this. If you so strongly want to believe what the Western media says, be my guest. If you don't spread any rumours about this building, I won't either.

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; November 19th, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #4118
Cardinal-Biggles
Architectural Designer
 
Cardinal-Biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 35
Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
See, now because I wasn't obliged to believe the Western media's theory about this building and the country, people automatically assume I like North Korea. The only thing I like about the country is the architecture. I hate everything else, but I don't deny they're not trying to do at least something about the squalor they're currently living in. Which they are, because evidence proves to that.

As for the concrete, we have absolutely no idea about the quality used, since theories about (non structural integrity damaging) crooked forms in the initial construction, and dirt/grime being the main reasons for your photo looking like it does are as perfectly valid as any other rumour about the building. Especially since there are valid, exact quotes from the construction company, and original largely-European engineering reports (from before the abandonment) that say the concrete was fine. (But of course, you won't trust Orascom, becuase they're doing something good in North korea, which is physically impossible, because, you know, they're bad guys)

I don't find obscure western commissions giving an intangible, extremely vague, 15 year old description of a building they could care less about, that is influenced by South Koreans specializing in business, proper evidence. Just my opinion, though.
I want to finish this. If you so strongly want to believe what the Western media says, be my guest. If you don't spread any rumours about this building, I won't either.
What Architecture is it that you like in North Korea? There is no significant architecturally designed building in the country...you are just basing your taste in the only tall building in the country. Even then, I think it is a crappy postmodern design with no real value other than it is located in North Korea. If you were in the profession either as a designer, architect, historian or student, you would realize that this building is nothing special and possibly a safety concern if you were an engineer. You are like a lot of people on the site, who are mere enthusiasts who support a building because it is tall, rather than in the true architecture. Grow up man.
Cardinal-Biggles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #4119
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

I like their stadiums too, thank you very much. Their brand new, shorter residential skyscrapers are decent, also. Pyongyang actually looks far better than most low-rise Chinese Cities, IMO.
The rest of your comment is 100% subjective, as well, and frankly, quite ridiculous for someone telling me to 'grow up'. It has nice symmetry, I like y shaped structures, sharp corners, it has an awe-inspiring and strong shape, incredible cladding, etc... What does being an architect or a historian have to do with anything? There are hundreds of people on this site who like this building for its design and have the maturity to look past its history and location. Should they all 'grow up?'
BTW I like this one far more than buildings like Burj Khalifa, Abraj, or SWFC even though they are taller. So many assumptions, just like every other naysayer on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurdo View Post

Last edited by ThatOneGuy; November 20th, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #4120
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!
 
ThatOneGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto - Bucharest - Freeport
Posts: 21,482

Unrelated to the rest of the bullshit on this thread, I found a weird site with some strange vision of the hotel:
http://projectsreview2010.aaschool.a...it=59&name=156
ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu