daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM   #4241
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

On a second thought, I decided not to delve into this shithole again. What a demented case.

Last edited by krkseg1ops; December 1st, 2012 at 03:31 PM.
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4242
mrfusion
Home Energy Reactor

Likes (Received): 302

Kanto:

at least 2 of the link you posted is exactly the same articles.

And there must be more you see as multiple source which end up to be just copy of each other, sometimes slightly reworded, I don't honestly believe any of those is sourced directly from the actual report.

Why should someone say it is bad if it is not? Maybe because they never did a detail inspection and just make up the details. If they say it is bad, and someone later prove they are wrong, no one really care or ask them to explain. If on the other hand, they say it is good, and the building collapse the following year, then they got a lot of explanation to do, possibly be prosecuted.

One of the basic differences between God and humans is, God gives, gives and forgives, Humans gets, gets and forgets.
mrfusion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 05:49 PM   #4243
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

Reworded means that the article had an individual approach, so that adds to its trustworthyness but in the end all the articles take their information from one single source and that is the EUChoC report. Nearly all articles can be traced back to one source so that is absolutely no sign of untrustworthyness. If even BBC, which is one of the biggest and most trustworthy news network finds the EUChoC report to be trustworthy, then so do I.

As to why would somebody say this and why would sombody not say that, that is all pure speculation on your part. Your theory that the EUChoc inspection never happened is based on absolutely nothing and is clearly debunked by the fact how many trustworthy pages take their info from it and mostly do so in a trustworthy approach without just copying and pasting. On the other hand, the fake report is North Korean and is on a single page. One thing on which I would like to disagree with you too is that if the North Korean government says nobody will be prosecuted in a certain case, then nobody will be prosecuted because the Slaughterhotel and all North Koreans managing it are property of the DPHK government.
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:24 PM   #4244
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

ThatOneGuy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:39 PM   #4245
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

image hosted on flickr

Ryugyong Hotel Pyongyang by ZXair, on Flickr
UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM   #4246
UjaiDidida
Ruzaini Roosfa

Location: Kuala Lumpur Currently in: Johor Bahru From: Bandar Baru Bangi Favourite Food: Nasi Lemak
Likes (Received): 1813

how this hotel look like at night? is it dark?
UjaiDidida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:11 PM   #4247
ThatOneGuy

When the hotel rooms are finished, it will be lit up nicely, but right now, like Shanghai Tower, there are no construction lights at night.

Some blue light strips along the wings would be fantastic
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:53 PM   #4248
čđđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1955

Quote:
Originally Posted by UjaiDidida View Post
I love how dominate the building is.
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:09 PM   #4249
ThatOneGuy

That city has a lot more colour than people think. Pink, beige, green apartments, complemented by the silvery-blue of the Ryugyong... and the trees and grass...
Not so bright colours as to be tacky. Found it interesting how the building comes to a point directly aligned with the center of that road.

I remember showing my friend a pic of this building, and him admiring its architecture...then I told him where it was and he instantly took it all back.
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM   #4250
Kyll.Ing.

Likes (Received): 3616

It has to be admitted, this building has a certain style to it. If anything, they've got a landmark for Pyongyang, and it's internationally recognised as a symbol of North Korea.

If North Korea suddenly "does a Burma" and opens up a little, I can see the hotel being a relatively popular destination. In peacetime, the hotel surely would become the centrepiece of a modernized downtown in Pyongyang.

At the moment, though... it's kinda hard to look at this building and appraise it. The stuff going on around it overshadows it a little. Like Abraj al-Bait, it stands out too much. It needs a little more time, or rather, everything around it would need to go on for a bit, before it "settles".
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:58 PM   #4251
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Troublemakers? Just because they have a different opinions doesn't mean these forumers are troublemakers. A thread is for discussion between people with negative opinions and people with positive opinions. It isn't just a place where people with positive opinions have their monologue and repeat a handfull of cliches like "It's awesome" or "I love this building" over and over again. Negative opinions belong into this thread just as much as positive opinions do. Witchunters like you are worse than spambots or trolls
Hey, I did not name anyone as a troublemaker, but it is interesting that you immediately identified yourself as one. Good bye.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:05 AM   #4252
Kanto
Roof height crusader

Likes (Received): 3546

I might have misunderstood you. I was called many negative things in this thread before, so I might have been a bit edgy. If that's the case then I apologize.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:16 AM   #4253
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Please don't lock this thread, but I wouldn't object o banning people who constantly post these boring off topic political posts.

As regard s the building though, for all the strange reasons that surround its very existence, it's one of the most interesting structures in the world.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:42 AM   #4254
Naipesky

Likes (Received): 17607

yada yada, back to the hotel.

If it is open in 2013, i think soon the tourists in excursions will be added to pass nights there in the routine trips (actually they stay at other not so impressive hotels prepared for western tourists).

Ah, in fact it should be a "no brain", this hotel is a true landmark for Pyongyang and cleary will be used to host international tourists.

Here in Brazil there is a representation of NK, and you can even get a visa to join in excursions.

From a friend.

Soon we will check the conditions of the inside. I dont expect nothing less than that "sumptuous" style of dictatorships.

Last edited by Naipesky; December 2nd, 2012 at 05:04 AM.
Naipesky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM   #4255
ilikeit

Likes (Received): 0

link to an interview with Michael Heussler, president of kempinski hotels china, in swiss newspaper tagesanzeiger:

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtscha...story/13845801
ilikeit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4256
ThatOneGuy

thanks, nice article
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:39 AM   #4257
ooh

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by UjaiDidida View Post
Does look very striking and domineering in this shot. Regardless of what you think of the country, and whether or not you like the actual design, you can't deny its dominance on the skyline.

And Naipesky, that's a cool thing to have in your friend's passport.
ooh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4258
Scrapernab2

Likes (Received): 96

No cranes on or near the building anymore, only two near the 'front gate'.
Scrapernab2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:14 PM   #4259
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1142

They basically finished the exterior, it's internal lobby time now
krkseg1ops no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:03 PM   #4260
Kantotards
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanto View Post
Of course they did, otherwise they couldn't assess the things they assessed. Since they managed to learn these things and the EUChoC was trusting in their results enough to acknowledge that they were working for them, I am absolutely certain that they indeed did all the necessary tests. You can't deny that this report was indeed made, it is on too many trustworthy webpages

Also, there are some other things to consider, they aren't any sort of scientific proof, but I think they should be considered if one wants to assess the situation of this hotel. These things are the photographs. The report says the elevator shafts are crooked, well, we can't see them but we can see the facade and it is, guess what, crooked. The report also says that the concrete is weak and substandard, well, we don't have samples in our hands but we can see that before Orascom's restoration, the concrete on the facade was in a far worse condition than all other similarily abandonned buildings I've ever seen. Alone this means nothing, but I think it can at least partially be considered as validation of the EUChoC report.

Btw, I'm quite sadenned that when you don't have any arguments left you resort to the usage of foul language
No, South Koreans didn't do any inspection to conclude, but survey to possibly renting the building for south Korean business. Why consider unknown as failure, but find more info and then conclude. Orascom is telephone carrier.... they don't contruct anything in the builiding, but pay rent. NoKor would provide the upgrade to building.
Kantotards no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
asia, north korea, potonggang-guyok district, pyongyang, ryugyong hotel